Explorer 12/14 cruise..our review..no more concierge lounge!

sgttami

Just wanted to post a quick review of our 12/14 cruise and CL changes for Diamond and D plus..

First, we had heads up that Diamond and D plus could not use the CL unless sailing in a GS or higher. TRUE. We got to our cabin and the CL key wasn't there. However, a letter stating that comp drinks were available every night from 5-8:30 was in our cabin and would be held at Cloud Nine/Dizzy's. Our JS cabin was directly across from the CL so it was a tease that we couldn't use it during the day but honestly, we never really used it much before the change.

Cloud Nine was a pleasant surprise. It was never crowded. We went at various times between 5 and 8:30 and found it to be quite nice for a drink or two before or after dinner. Lots of windows, unlike the CL on Explorer. Great views. If you wanted to smoke, you took your drink into Dizzy's (smoking area) and could go back multiple times into Cloud Nine for refills of drinks. The most we had was 2 drinks per visit but we met a couple who had been on 40 plus cruises and they were there for the full 3 1/2 hours each night. They were D plus and were quite upset with the changes. They sail in inside cabins so even though they had 40 cruises, their CL comps were cut..Talked with a few other people who originally were not happy with the new changes but did like the Cloud Nine setting better. It is so much prettier than the dismal walls with no windows!!

In short, we had a good cruise and met some fun people.

Negatives were...babies in pools with diapers, kids in adults only hot tubs, things missing from our cabin..(we weren't the only ones), menus haven't changed in years, very rude people this trip, pushy photographers who took really poor photos...small stuff. To us it was just another reminder that cruising will never be like what it was in the "old days". "Formal" was a gamut from gowns to sweatshirts and jeans!!

Embarkation was pretty good considering the ship docked a few hours late. We were on the first shuttle to the ship. Coming home was a breeze and we were off the ship at 8:45..(not express walk off).

Good time, yes, but sadly RCL has gone down hill and it's time to try another line. Not saying we won't come back but we need to try something else to compare.

I had posted on the Explorer thread live from the 12/2 that we were told of the CL changes were to begin on the 12/14 but someone on CC wrote to RCCL and received a letter saying it was a mistake on the part of the Explorer and in the same letter it said the CL would be available for both Diamond AND Platinum members so that was a mistake too I guess. Either way it sounds like what we were told on the 12/2 did occur on the 12/14 in regards to the CL. Now the question is was it really a mistake and will it be corrected if so or will this change on CL policy on the Explorer remain for that ship? I had heard from others that were on the ship on the 12/14 so I knew the new policy was in effect but as some called it just a rumor I didn't bother to post it again. Thanks for posting your experience:)

Thanks for the word on CL...as I have said on another thread..it was on the 17th I recieved the email from VP of Hotel Operations with regard the "change" on the Explorer so I am guessing it was too late then for the "change" to be corrected.

Will be interesting to see what happens on the next few sailings.

I know this thread started about Explorer, however. . .

I am sailing on the Liberty soon, and I contacted the D+ desk recently. They suggested that D+ members would have keys to the CL, and Diamond Club for Liberty of the Seas. . . .They also agreed that Diamond members would still have access to the Diamond Lounge (but not CL )

I will let everyone know soon.

Radio

;) ;)

We're going on this cruise in acouple of weeks. When you had

your muster drill did you go out on deck or did they have you go

to a lounge indoors? I've never sailed out of a cold port before

and wondered how they handled it.

We were also on the the 12/14 sailing. There are muster stations both inside and out...luck of the draw. We got lucky and landed the dining room as our station, but we could see people outside the windows mustering in the cold. :o

We were also on the the 12/14 sailing. There are muster stations both inside and out...luck of the draw. We got lucky and landed the dining room as our station, but we could see people outside the windows mustering in the cold. :o

Ahhh-hem....That was US freezing our life jackets off. :cool: :D

No comments on the ports of call?

San Juan..we stayed on board as we have been to San Juan numerous times. If the ship had docked earlier we would have gone to a beach on the Condado. Went to Portofino early.

St. Thomas...we took the ferry to St. John to see friends for the day. The new terminal in Red Hook is great. No more congestion and confusion!! Great, sunny day. Taxi to RH was $20 each way for 2 and ferry was $5.00 each way per person.

DR...Stayed on board again. Nice to have the ship to ourselves for a few hours.

Be back on the boards tomorrow.

Everyone have a great holiday!!!

Pam

Labadee...a perfect beach day, sunny and hot. Spent the entire day there and were on one of the last tenders back..

to Radio - There is no reason to give access to the CL for D and D+ pax, as the same amenities are available in the Diamond Lounge on the Freedom and Liberty ships. We used the Diamond Lounge on Freedom in Oct. It was much nicer than the CL's on Voyager class ships, as it it larger with more seating and has a wall of glass for great views.

We're going on this cruise in acouple of weeks. When you had

your muster drill did you go out on deck or did they have you go

to a lounge indoors? I've never sailed out of a cold port before

and wondered how they handled it.

It depends on what cabin section you are in on deck. On the 12/2 our JS section reported to dining room. Good thing as it was COLD that night! Other times near same section in JS we have reported to deck 4 outside. Just depends on where your cabin is on the list:)

I agree Cloud Nine is nicer then CL on the Explorer but that is opened for 100 diamonds/plus or less. When there is over 100 diamonds/plus, they will now use the Chamber and I just think that space is too dark. Ok, for a nightclub but not suitable for a lounge. Best overflow lounge is the Balboa room on the Ex. but that's often booked for private parties and receptions and we were lucky to have it once for an overflow.

Waiting to see if they stay with the new CL policy on the Xmas cruise or if they will correct it if a mistake.

to Radio - There is no reason to give access to the CL for D and D+ pax, as the same amenities are available in the Diamond Lounge on the Freedom and Liberty ships. We used the Diamond Lounge on Freedom in Oct. It was much nicer than the CL's on Voyager class ships, as it it larger with more seating and has a wall of glass for great views.

Including coffee?

We mustered outside, it was still 60 degrees, no coats and we were'nt a bit cold. Getting out of Bayonne late did stink though, rather Bayonne stinks and among my many disappointments with Cape Liberty is the stink.

Explorer is holding up well and the staff is doing a fairly good job maintaining her. It was wonderful to see Hasley from Trinadad at the Schooner Bar. He was always our favorite on the Jewel of the Seas.

The BEST part of this cruise was the performance by Earl Turner. I have attended hundreds of onboard performances and this was by far and away the Best single performance we have ever seen. Sure the ice show was good, always is, Revolution was good and the staff entertainers on RCL are as good or better than any other line but Earl Turner was A++.

Yes. .. you are right ! I am aware that they offer much of the same. . .. However , I wanted to get a few pics of the NEW CL on Deck 10. . .I heard it was buch bigger on Freedom and Liberty. (The CL on all Voyager Class Ships is on Deck 9)

The Diamond Club on 14 sound great too ! !

Radio

;) ;)

Ahhh-hem....That was US freezing our life jackets off. :cool: :D

Oh yeah...that was us as well....but I made a lot of new friends on the way looking at my jacket with the combine stitched on it!!!!

Hmmmmnnnn the dining room Mary...what do we do with Dave now??????

Hope you enjoyed your day!

Merry Christmas!

We mustered outside, it was still 60 degrees, no coats and we were'nt a bit cold. Getting out of Bayonne late did stink though, rather Bayonne stinks and among my many disappointments with Cape Liberty is the stink.

Explorer is holding up well and the staff is doing a fairly good job maintaining her. It was wonderful to see Hasley from Trinadad at the Schooner Bar. He was always our favorite on the Jewel of the Seas.

The BEST part of this cruise was the performance by Earl Turner. I have attended hundreds of onboard performances and this was by far and away the Best single performance we have ever seen. Sure the ice show was good, always is, Revolution was good and the staff entertainers on RCL are as good or better than any other line but Earl Turner was A++.

Wow...you must have had some coffee or drinks to warm you up before you went out. Did you not hear the captain strongly suggest that all passengers take coats scarves and hats with them to muster due to the cold and windly conditions? Sea-cruise and I were outside in the cold.

We loved Earl Turner and agree he was fantastic and the Ice Show was spectacular. We loved the dancing show also.

Hmmmmnnnn the dining room Mary...what do we do with Dave now??????

Hope you enjoyed your day!

Merry Christmas!

LOL!! Good thing Dave didn't see US out there...We would have never lived it down....him inside and us out in the wind. I think we must have been on the colder/windy side of the ship. :( :cool:

Both sons in-law were the waiters today. They didn't sing and wave napkins or flags, but they were pretty good waiters! ;) :D

Guess business is so good for RCI that they dont really need the diamond business. All I would want is access to that speciality coffee machine. Sounds like that option was out for you.

We share your frustration but RCCL shot itself in the foot when it created the fast-path to D/D+ status. Now it is trying to put bandaids on what is a festering wound.

As more and more members reach D/D+ status we can anticipate more benefit cuts. Hopefully, the genius tank in Miami will recoginize the core of the problem and adopt a benefit program base on sea days.

Nice view of the Ship from Cloud 9 ??. Was Allen from Customer service in Cloud 9 serving Drinks and tasty treats ??? We always prefered Cloud 9 over the Drab CL setting on the EOS.

Allen just transferred from Explorer to Mariner. He said the 16 December sailing of Mariner was his first. He left Explorer on the 14th. I thought he was an excellent Concierge, very personable. Made it a point to go around and speak to everyone every night.

We share your frustration but RCCL shot itself in the foot when it created the fast-path to D/D+ status. Now it is trying to put bandaids on what is a festering wound.

As more and more members reach D/D+ status we can anticipate more benefit cuts. Hopefully, the genius tank in Miami will recoginize the core of the problem and adopt a benefit program base on sea days.

I think this is the best, most eloquent post I've ever read on here. I couldn't agree more.

Archived