The Happy Wanderer---Summertime Down South

RuthC

RevNeal ... thanks so much for your amazing pictures. You definitely have a second calling from God - photography! Your work is EXCEPTIONAL. I can't wait to see more upon your return.

RuthC ... thanks to you also for your running summary of the cruise. Your writing always brings a big smile to my face. Thanks! Hopefully, you are recovering fast from your fall. At least, it has not deterred you in doing things and keeping all your cruise critic friends informed. Continue getting better! Who have some of the entertainers been on board?

My husband and I definitely have to do this cruise in the future. We have been to all the other continents and it is my goal to get to this one.

Right now, we are getting ready for our Manuas, Brazil to Ft. Lauderdale cruise on the SEABOURN in less than 3 weeks!

Keep those messages coming to us. Thanks again!

RuthC and RevNeal,

Your reports and photos are priceless...sounds like this is an amazing trip.

If you would not mind, could you please look for Matej Koz who is a waiter in the Pinnacle Grill and say hello to him from me and my family. I do hope that he is still on board with you.

Enjoy the rest of your cruise,

Marjorie

RuthC and RevNeal,

Your reports and photos are priceless...sounds like this is an amazing trip.

If you would not mind, could you please look for Matej Koz who is a waiter in the Pinnacle Grill and say hello to him from me and my family. I do hope that he is still on board with you.

Enjoy the rest of your cruise,

Marjorie

Rev Neal:

I meant to tell you 2 days ago how spectacular your pix leaving Rio were! I've looked at them daily. Now.......

Pleeease take the 3rd one of your pictures and re-post it separately for all of us to print? So serene....so hopeful a shot. Quite lovely. As I'm sure, by now, if you do go into Drudge, you will see the horrific lightening strike on that very wonderful site you had such a beautiful view of that took place yesterday. http://www.drudgereport.com.

You were meant to take that picture. Please re-post it. When I tried to print that post.....THE picture trailed off. Thanks & God Bless.

Martha

After a lovely, calm, enjoyable crossing of the Drake Channel from Antarctica to the South American Mainland, we enjoyed an hour or so of scenic cruising by Cape Horn.

horn1.jpg

The seas were lovely and calm, so we spent more time there than we might otherwise have, before sailing on to Ushuaia, Argentina. In Ushuaia I took a tour of the National Park and Beagle Channel tour. This highly scenic tour is worth the time and the money.

ush1.jpg

Ushuaia is the southern-most city on the planet. Or, at least, that's how they bill themselves. It is only a few hundred miles from Antarctica, and even in the middle of summer this far south on the South American Continent still has ice-capped mountains and the temperatures were in the 40s and 50s. It's impossible to imagine how beautiful this place is. The scenery is lovely, the wildlife is amazing, and the people are warm and welcoming.

ush2.jpg

The Beagle Channel is filled with low, barren, ice-carved rocky islands which provide birds and seals a place to congregate. I didn't see any beagles swimming, though ... just seals and Penguins!

ush3.jpg

Ushuaia huddles along the shoreline on the Huge mainland island of Tierra Del Fuego, with large ice-capped mountains towering over the town. It's a picturesque setting, as well as being inviting to those who prefer colder-weather environments.

At the end of the Beagle Channel tour our boat docked within a short walk of the lovely Rotterdam and, after 15 days aboard ship, I finally had a good view of my ship:

rotinush1.jpg

We set sail early that afternoon and cruised through the Cockburn and Beagle Channels (again, no cocks or beagles were visible from the deck) on our way to Punta Arenas, Chilie, where I took the "Sights of Punta Arenas" tour. It was an easy city tour with stops for shopping and at two museums. It was ok ... nothing to really write home about, but something to do in a very pleasant town.

Here are some views of the city ... a nice, fairly clean and quiet town of about 100,000 people.

pa1.jpg

pa2.jpg

pa3.jpg

pa4.jpg

And, of course, the obligatory stop at Magallane's Statue!

pa5.jpg

All-in-all, Punta Arenas looks like it's a great place to live. The temperatures are somewhat moderated (no hot summers and moderately cold winters), with a low crime rate and a high rate of employment. It's one of those sleepy cities that isn't memorable in as much as its a comfortable, and quiet place, filled with really kind and welcoming people (who don't harass you constantly to buy trinkets but who ARE there to sell to you if you're looking to buy. Adele did lots of shopping here, as well as in Ushuaia ... so, I'm sure the local economies are pleased with us!

I notice that I forgot to provide a link to my website where this report is duplicated. Here's a link:

http://www.revneal.org/Writings/rot7.html

This time I posted all of what I posted on my site here on CC. The reports were small enough as to not be problematic.

I've noticed several questions regarding my photos and such ... I'll provide some answers later on (probably once I get home, or while waiting in the airport to fly home at the end of the cruise). However, just so that people are aware of it, I will be posting large photo-galleries of this cruise on my website once I get home and have a chance to sort through the thousands of photos I've taken. What I've posted, thus far, are just samples in a much lower resolution than I use on my website. Once I've gotten those galleries up, anyone who wants a full-sized image should just e-mail me then and let me know and I'll be happy to provide them via e-mail or direct download from my site (if there are a bunch I'll do it that way).

We're past Punta Arenas and have also had one day of scenic cruising, with another afternoon of such yet to come before we get to Puerto Mont tomorrow morning. Yesterday have been spent in lazy relaxation, enjoying the seas (which, today, are moderate) and the many quiet activities (lectures, trivia games, bingo, etc) that are being offered aboard ship. The announcements come mid-morning and at 1 pm, but otherwise I've not been bothered by any bingo announcements. Indeed, the cruise staff seems to conduct themselves well in this regard.

Last night was our 4th formal evening and, with just the rarest of exception, the overwhelmingly vast majority of our fellow passengers have demonstrated fantastic taste in dressing not only to the code but even far above it during all our evenings. I've not heard any whining or complaining from those few who don't want to participate ... something which I heard quite a lot of on a prior cruise.

Most Smart Casual Nights (particularly those that are on sea days) find many of the gentlemen in jackets and slacks, with a few in ties and some even in full suits. There's been a scattering of jeans and such on the Smart Casual Nights, and for the most part they look clean and well-put-together. I've not seen anyone in shorts during the evening hours other than out on the sports deck or on the lido deck amidships. Formal Nights have been a delight, with better than 50% of them men in Tuxedos and most of the rest (again, with rare exceptions) in dark suits and ties or jackets, slacks, and ties. The atmosphere of the ship on these evenings has conveyed the refined element that comes with "playing dress up," and it would appear to me that most of us are really enjoying ourselves during our evening activities. I know I am.

I've managed to make it to the two Cast shows ... they've been ok, though I can tell that a couple of the dancers are still working hard to learn their moves. The singers, however, are excellent. Likewise, the lounge bands tend to do a very good job, with the Rosario Strings being excellent and the band in the Ocean Bar being great if only a little too loud. The band up in the crows nest is, probably, the only disappointment ... the two lead singers just sway back and forth in the beat of the music and almost never sing ...and when they do it sounds almost like they're singing phonetically ("leets wok awound de kluck donight ... wok wok wok .... ")

The Rotterdam a lovely ship ... with gorgeous appointments throughout and very well maintained (particularly so compared to the Volendam last November). She truly is a stunning example of everything that makes a damship truly a damship, with refined and understated elegance. The crew is excellent, but it is obvious that they are a bit under-staffed. I've never before seen officers (dining and beverage managers and other uniformed staff) working to bus tables, re-fill coffee cups, etc. Indeed, one evening (the first and only time I've ever eaten in the Lido during the evening hours) I noticed that the Maitre D was actually jumping in to clear tables, help in deliver orders, etc., and never with a grumble. HAL should be both proud of the staff on this ship as well as ashamed of themselves for allowing the staff-levels to fall so low as to demand extra duty from uniformed area supervisors, managers, and the Maitre D himself. I don't have anything to complain about, though. I've only rarely had such speedy meals as these. We're at a table for 8 in the upper dining room (fixed 8 pm seating), must of us are eating four courses (appetizer, soup, salad, entree) and we are still finding ourselves finishing our desserts and dawdling over coffee at 9:30 - 9:45 pm. In the past I've had dinners that have dragged on forever ... but not this time.

A few observations regarding the Open Seating section of AYWD. Firstly, invariably I will look downstairs into the open seating area at almost any moment during our fixed dining period and I have noticed that the place looks remarkably empty. Either most of the people in Open Seating are eating early, or they are choosing to eat elsewhere. Also, I've been hearing a lot of people complaining about not being able to get the fixed dining time which they had requested. Indeed, several couples and not a few singles who had documentation which confirmed them at fixed dining (early and main) came aboard only to discover that they had been assigned to opening seating. In some of those cases they were able to get the Maitre D to switch them to what they had been confirmed, but not in every case. There is more than one family group on this ship very angry about not being able to get a confirmed fixed dining arrangement. I know because I've asked them. Thankfully, I was able to get my fixed seating with the rest of my group and it didn't take any effort on my part.

Well, enough impressions for now ... I think my e-mails are nearly finished downloading. I'll try to report day after tomorrow (our last day at sea) ... if I have any minutes left!!!!!

Rev, what up?! Your pictures are awesome, thanks for doing such a great job showing off Antarctica. I wish I was there with you guys! I sure do miss you and Ruthie. Thanks for adding to my Mom's good time on yet another cruise. Can't wait for the EURODAM in JULY!!! :D :D

Emily,

It's good to hear from you! Yes, things are going well here and Adele and I have had fun. The crows nest has been mostly dead, but that hasn't stopped us from doing a little dancing during the later evening hours. Even with the ship undergoing extreme motion, it's been fun. :)

Yes, we're looking forward to the Eurodam as well. Thats' going to be a VERY fun trip!

Yes, we're looking forward to the Eurodam as well. Thats' going to be a VERY fun trip!
Yes, it is! But it's sounding like you're setting the bar very high with the cruise you're on! :cool: I've always wanted to do this itinerary. Now even more so.

Yes, it is! But it's sounding like you're setting the bar very high with the cruise you're on! :cool: I've always wanted to do this itinerary. Now even more so.

You and me both, Jim. And Makrewser is being enticed by Greg's pictures too. But looking at our calender, it looks like it would be Dec '09/Jan '10 before we could book it.

Back to entertainment---this time on the BIG stage.

Most nights the shows are at 8:30 and 10:15, which seem to handle most diners fairly well. One day the early show was at 4:30 PM :eek: with the "late" show at 6:45---this to accommodate scenic cruising of Cape Horn at 8:00 PM.

But this brings up something that I just cannot figure out. Many evenings the "late" show is at 6:45. Now, if there's something special later in the evening (like the Black & White Ball), or an early port coming up the next day (like Ushuaia, 7:00 AM), or the last night (when it's expected you'll be packing later), then it makes sense.

But when a sea day is followed by a sea day, and nothing special is going on that night, I don't understand the switch.

I've been to a few of the production show. Yes, she who hasn't liked them in the past has given them another try. I have to say they have improved somewhat. More of the songs---sometimes even the whole song! :) ---are sung. Much better then when it was minimal snippits. The singers and dancers are very good (sorry, Greg, I see it differently than you do), as are the costumes.

Productions shows still are not my cup of tea, but I'm glad I went to these.

Comedian Marty Brill entertained on my third consecutive cruise. And I have to give him credit---it was primarily a new act each time.

I do enjoy his shows.

I've also enjoyed Celeste Francis (singer) and Beverly Davison (violin, with some weak comedy and some singing).

I'm sorry I haven't gotten to more, but I won't cut my day short to go to early shows unless they're really special. Kind of defeats the purpose of choosing late sitting to do that, doncha know. :rolleyes:

I'm sorry I haven't gotten to more, but I won't cut my day short to go to early shows unless they're really special. Kind of defeats the purpose of choosing late sitting to do that, doncha know. :rolleyes:

I so agree, Ruth!!! They did this to us on our last cruise with the explanation that they wanted to give the late sitting people a chance to enjoy other entertainment venues earlier in the evening.

My feeling was if I wanted to be dressed and ready for dinner early, I'd have chosen early sitting.

I almost always enjoy the production shows .... I think they've improved greatly. Our last cruise was fabulous.

We've reached that point in the cruise---all too quickly, it seems---when we all know the end is near. We were at our last port in Puerto Montt today, tomorrow is a sea day for packing, and then it's over.

I had a nice-enough time in Puerto Montt, and even enjoyed the mandatory "shop stop" in Puerto Varas. It looked like every bus went there for about 45 minutes.

Puerto Varas is called the City of Roses and there are beautiful flowers everywhere. It was settled by Germans, and some of that culture continues---in Spanish, though, to a great extent.

There's a Valentine's Ball later tonight, and I may stop in for a while.

I do dread packing tomorrow! :eek:

It never fails. Not once that I can remember. No matter how hot, cold, rainy, foggy, whatever the weather has been during a cruise, the last day is always a perfect day to sit outside on a lounger with something to read. Warm, sunny skys, calm sea, fresh, clean air.

And so it is today. The day when a great deal of time is spent inside packing. Ugh. This is the day on which I want to savour every last morsel of cruise pleasure, but instead I'm doing my best to fit too much "stuff" into too little space.

This is one reason I like longer cruises---the cruise to packing time ratio is much better that way. :)

But somehow I manage to cram the stuff in the bags AND some more good times into the memory book. The Antarctic team is having a Q & A in a little while---they were a "do not miss" activity all cruise long. Next a civilized spot of tea, post this, then one last Summer evening to enjoy.

Sigh.

But somehow I manage to cram the stuff in the bags AND some more good times into the memory book. The Antarctic team is having a Q & A in a little while---they were a "do not miss" activity all cruise long. Next a civilized spot of tea, post this, then one last Summer evening to enjoy.

Sigh.

And while having that cuppa, fantasize about the Capt. announcing: "Sorry, folks, but due to an (un)fortunate incident we'll need to go back to Rio. Everybody stay calm. We should be there in a couple of weeks..."

:)

Ruth,

When you get a chance, I would appreciate your comments about the ratio of warm/cool/cold days you encountered and any pointers about clothing for this cruise. We're doing the Antarctic cruise in December from Valparaiso to Rio, and I'm already starting to think about the clothes I'll need to take.

Living in the north, I have a lined jacket, hat, gloves, waterproof boots, etc. for touring and outdoor viewing in the southernmost ports and Antarctica, but I don't have a clue how many days of the cruise will be a milder temperature or downright warm and how many lighter weight clothes I will need.

Your review has only heightened the anticipation I have felt since we booked the holiday cruise last year. We are scheduled to be in Antarctica on Christmas Day, and I am so looking forward to a truly white Christmas. I can almost hear Bing Crosby singing in my ear.:)

Pat

I can almost hear Bing Crosby singing in my ear.

You better watch out,

You better not cry,

You better be good,

I'm telling you why:

Freezing bergs are right in our path.

We're gonna get hit,

We're gonna take ice,

We're gonna be scared,

The scene won't be nice:

Freezings bergs are right in our path.

We thought it would be lovely,

They said, "You won't forget."

They promised great adventure,

Which is what we got, you bet.

Soooooo,

We heard the nine toots,

We got dressed all warm,

They lowered the boats

Gals and kids, per the norm.

Freezing bergs were right in our path.

Enjoy your Antarctic cruise!

Ruth, sorry you had to pack up, but I know the feeling. Now the hard part is to put it all away.

Just wanted to tell you that Brad Stevens in the Piano Bar on the Noordam was really fantastic.

No more chocolates on our pillows for a while. It's sad to hit reality, isn't it?

I'm back on land and crying into my hyper-expensive, poorly prepared and sloppily served dinner as I am closely reading Ruth's thread for the first time. Thank you to all of those who remarked so positively regarding our reports. I would have loved to have spent more time on posting reports ... but ... I was having such a glorious time aboard the Rotterdam that it was hard to drag myself to a lounge with my laptop to get online and post.

It was a FANTASTIC cruise, and I'm looking forward to doing it again in a few years. 2011 would be about right, I think.

Oh Greg and Ruth - how wonderful! It's great to hear from you again! Just looking at your photos, Greg, leaves me in awe and wonder. I thoroughly enjoyed your link and extra views of this remarkable part of our world. Words cannot do it justice whatsoever, as am sure photos are unable to also. Curses on you:D, now another trip added to my 'to do' list!!

Oh, Richard ... you'll love it. As I said above, I plan on doing this cruise again, taking Christopher and anybody else who wants to go along with me. :) It's a GREAT cruise. Hey ...make a note for the first few weeks of Jan 2011 ... who knows??

Archived