The Happy Wanderer---Summertime Down South

RuthC

Thank you for answering my question about Ruth. Also, Rev Neal I went to your website to see the pics. Now I have bookmarked your website. I want to read your sermons, writings, and books. Thank you for sharing.

I'm looking forward to when you will be able to post again. When I was watching the Super Bowl last night, I was thinking about you, Ruth. Sorry about the Pats.

Ruth. Thank you very much for the information re sunset. That makes it much clearer why we are doing the scenic trip afternoon/evening.

So sorry about the Falklands. I know we all go knowing there is a chance we won't get there, but still disappointing for you all. I must admit 26' waves have made me gasp a bit. I have been following oceanweather.inc and over the last fortnight SA has been pretty good. The really bad seas seem to have been around Britain. Must buy an extra packet of Stugeron!!

Enjoy Antarctica. Really looking forward to hearing about it and to seeing Rev Neal's photos.

Noordam schedule to dock NYC close to 10:00am Wednesday. Making max speed just north of the Florida Keys, in the Sargasso Sea, with chance of weather off Hatteras. Medivac'ed patient doing well in PR.

More on Live from the Noordam with Tomc.

We're sailing along with another cold, windy day---and frankly, I'm getting a bit tired of it. :eek: Me? Yes---isn't that funny. It was too windy (as in "dangerous") to go outside yesterday, and today I think it's too cold (at 40 degrees)---even for me.

The seas have calmed significantly, though, to a maximum of about 12'-15'. Not bad.

By tonight it should be interesting again. We'll have about 3 hours of scenic cruising of Elephant Island starting around 6:00 PM. This is where Shackleton left his men to survive for (IIRC) 22 months while he went to get help. (They did; all of them.) Then we'll officially be in Antarctica! Yippee! :D

How's that for the Summertime Down South!

Brrrrr, Ruth! I'm so glad you're enjoying this fabulous trip - but it sounds a little too wintery for me. I know you love the rocking of the ship, but I'd be flat on my back in bed by now. Best for me to travel this one by reading your thread - so THANKS for keeping it up!

The supply order seems to have been well-filled. Peanuts appeared with the cocktails. :D Yippee!

Ruth - only peanuts? No good nuts? Did everyone at least keep their fingers out of the jars? :eek:

We managed to squeeze in a stop at the Cathedral (beautiful), a train ride to the delta, a boat trip on the Tigre River, shopping, lunch, a Tango Show, a visit to Ricoletta Cemetery, and a quick stop at the Hard Rock Cafe. Whew! What a full day.

What an incredibly busy, full day! Did you say hello to Evita at Ricoletta?

We'll look forward to your update once you exit from your communications blackout. (It's just like going to the moon, isn't it?)

I've been thinking the exact same thing! :) Of course, some of the Antarctic landscape photos I've seen do look like moonscapes.

I can't even imagine that kind of cold :eek: :D hee hee hee...

smile.gif

I've been mourning the Pat's loss. How COULD they lose!! It's been over a year since they lost, so I guess it had to happen SOME time. . .

crying.gif

Can't wait till you get back from "the moon" and can tell us all about it

having_chocolate.gif And how ARE the pillow chocolates?? Have you tried a chocolate martini? It's right up your alley.

We got home from our WONDERFUL mostly warm Ryndam cruise, last night. I can now spend much more time on Cruise Critic and am enjoying coming along with you on your cruise. Loved the Ryndam, but missed the center stairs and elevators. We took advantage of booking on board and will be joining you on the Noordam, next January and adding the 10 days before for a back-to-back.

Enjoying reading all your posts as we sail from Rio March 3rd.

Sorry you missed Stanley and hoping we have better luck and manage in.

Thinking about our packing. Once you are back in range, could one of you kindly confirm if you have a Black and White Ball and/or a Tropical/Caribbean type themed evening? Or indeed, any other "theme" :)

Thanks.

RuthC --

I assume we haven't heard from you penguins because you don't have satellite service wherever you are. If that be the case, here's a greeting from someone on shore who wishes he weren't.

I'm back. :)

When you are as far south as any human can expect to go the Summer is nothing like you have ever experienced before. Sure, cold, ice, and even snow are part of the deal---but that's only the beginning. None of my humble efforts to describe Antarctica---not even Greg's supurb pictures---will begin to do it justice.

A visit to Antarctica is something experienced with every sense. We have completed over three days there and I'm on sensory overload. The sights of ice, snow, and rock, with lichen and algae growth; the sounds of ice cracking---even the sounds of silence; the smells of penguin colonies :eek: and clean, fresh air; even the taste of the air and snow flakes on your tongue assault with their constancy. There is nothing with with to compare.

Kind of like childbirth, I suppose. :confused:

This part of the cruise has made me want to come for a longer time---perhaps on an expedition cruise.

We'll see.

But I did get one traditional part of Summer here---my face has a bit of a burn. :D

Ruth - how was the shopping in BA? Did you use your credit cards or get Argentina pesos?

Sorry, nancycoop1. I don't shop.

Once you are back in range, could one of you kindly confirm if you have a Black and White Ball and/or a Tropical/Caribbean type themed evening? Or indeed, any other "theme" :)

Near as I can tell there won't be any special themed evenings this cruise. We had a list of the formal/smart casual nights in the first Daily Program, but nothing special was listed there. One formal night was switched---probably due to sea conditions---but we did make it up last night. Hopefully we'll have the full five formal nights.

I'm back. :)

A visit to Antarctica is something experienced with every sense. We have completed over three days there and I'm on sensory overload. The sights of ice, snow, and rock, with lichen and algae growth; the sounds of ice cracking---even the sounds of silence; the smells of penguin colonies :eek: and clean, fresh air; even the taste of the air and snow flakes on your tongue assault with their constancy. There is nothing with with to compare.

Whoa. For a minute there, I thought you were describing my town, in the land beyond ORD, but I cannot locate the penguins. I have snow piles taller than me right now, at the end of the drive way. It's an amazing way to walk the dog with one's arm up in the air while he does his business from above. I digress.

Thanks for checking in and making us all fell like we are there with you.

Yes, we're back on the net. I would have posted sooner, but we were coming up on the Horn tonight and that changed everybody's schedule. :)

Here's my report from Antarctica ... you can read and see all the sample photos on my website at this address:

http://www.revneal.org/Writings/rot6.html

Antarctica:

No words, no pictures, no nothing can ever capture the glory and majesty of the bottom of the world. The Antarctica Continent is amazing. It is a complex of contrasts -- freezing cold wind, ice and snow on the one hand, wild life and the indescribable beauty of stark desolation on the other. It was everything I could have ever imagined it to be, and a whole lot more. Our 3 days Cruising along the Antarctic shore , visiting the outlying volcanic islands and the continental mainland itself, went by so fast that I find myself still wondering "where did those days go?" They were glorious, joyous, awe-inspiring, and breathtaking. My memories of these three days will be highlighted by the amazingly fresh air, the refreshing yet bracing cold wind, the blessedly calm seas, the cute and engaging penguins, the lazy seals, soaring birds, and the breaching whales ... all of whom appeared to be putting on a show for our benefit alone! And, through it all, I was repeatedly finding myself being overwhelmed by a clear sense of being in the immediate presence of the Almighty Creator of it all.

ant12.jpg

Words and photographs cannot possibly touch on the totality of the glory which is Antarctica. But, perhaps a few selections from the massive volume of the photos which I took will suffice to provide a little bit of an impression of what it is like.

CLICK HERE for my longer report with sample photos from Antarctica.

ant33.jpg

And one of my favorite photos -- this one of RuthC -- taken during a snow storm while we were cruising the Antarctica Channels:

ant19.jpg

Oh Greg and Ruth - how wonderful! It's great to hear from you again! Just looking at your photos, Greg, leaves me in awe and wonder. I thoroughly enjoyed your link and extra views of this remarkable part of our world. Words cannot do it justice whatsoever, as am sure photos are unable to also. Curses on you:D, now another trip added to my 'to do' list!!

Thank you once again Greg for the amazing photos. Coming from the land of ice and snow this cruise just does not appeal to me. It's great to be able to see such great pictures through someone elses eyes however. Thank you for taking the time (and money) to post them.

Archived