The Happy Wanderer---Summertime Down South

RuthC

Ugh!

I'm so VERY sorry to read this! And, here I thought you two were ahead of me! I'm so very sorry!!!! My prayers go out to you and Karl for a safe flight today.

I JUST got home. About 30 minutes ago. It was a long flight (9 hours and 45 minutes) and then immigration at DFW took a long time because we were behind a huge group of returning US service men (they rightly have priority, and I'll hand it to my fellow passengers ... I didn't hear anyone grumble; indeed, we applauded the returning troops).

At any rate ... I arrived at the house at 8:45 am Dallas time, to the raucous and loving, welcoming whimpers of my basset, Dorcas. It's good to know that one is missed. :)

Well, it is now about 1430 here. Our flight crew has (recently) departed for the airport. Hopefully, we´ll follow soon. Either that or Delta is going to need to start our Spanish immursion classes, so we can adapt to our new home. ;)

We occasionally hear busses. They turn out to be city busses, but we are like Pavlov´s dogs. Everytime the entire lobby cranes their necks to see if our transportation has arrived.

At least everyone is in good spirits. Being safe here is MUCH better than the alternative.

It was a grueling ordeal, but I (finally) arrived home at 7:00 PM Sunday night---39 hours after arising in Valparaiso, Saturday morning. My 12:15 PM last leg from Dulles to Providence was canceled, and I was re-booked on a flight at 10:00 PM! :eek: To get home at midnight! Nooooo!!!!!! "PLEEZEEEEE!!!!! Isn't there something else???" she begged. Well, yes, there's one seat on the 5:15 flight, but it's in an exit row and we can't give that to a passenger who's record is flagged for a wheelchair. Perhaps another passenger can be switched? Yes! That can be done! Just see the gate agent for seat assignment. :)

I fell into bed at 9:00 last night and didn't wake up until 9:30 this morning. Still exhausted.

From what I've just read on this thread, and heard from Adele last night, all of our little group had a terrible time getting north of the Equator again.

One suitcase is unpacked, the other still has to get itself up on the bed (it's too heavy for me to lift), the first load of laundry is in the washer, with another load waiting in the on-deck circle. :rolleyes: There will be at least one more after that.

The e-mails were opened (and mainly deleted) this morning, and the snail-mail has been opened and sorted; it will be dealt with later.

Cocoa kitty is very happy that Mommy is home. :D

And I shall make some time for some final thoughts when things are settled in a bit.

Thanks for coming along on this most extraordinary ride.

It was a grueling ordeal, but I (finally) arrived home at 7:00 PM Sunday night---39 hours after arising in Valparaiso, Saturday morning. My 12:15 PM last leg from Dulles to Providence was canceled, and I was re-booked on a flight at 10:00 PM! :eek: To get home at midnight! Nooooo!!!!!! "PLEEZEEEEE!!!!! Isn't there something else???" she begged. Well, yes, there's one seat on the 5:15 flight, but it's in an exit row and we can't give that to a passenger who's record is flagged for a wheelchair. Perhaps another passenger can be switched? Yes! That can be done! Just see the gate agent for seat assignment. :)

I fell into bed at 9:00 last night and didn't wake up until 9:30 this morning. Still exhausted.

From what I've just read on this thread, and heard from Adele last night, all of our little group had a terrible time getting north of the Equator again.

One suitcase is unpacked, the other still has to get itself up on the bed (it's too heavy for me to lift), the first load of laundry is in the washer, with another load waiting in the on-deck circle. :rolleyes: There will be at least one more after that.

The e-mails were opened (and mainly deleted) this morning, and the snail-mail has been opened and sorted; it will be dealt with later.

Cocoa kitty is very happy that Mommy is home. :D

And I shall make some time for some final thoughts when things are settled in a bit.

Thanks for coming along on this most extraordinary ride.

Glad you got home safely (though late) Ruth C and hopefully the others are able to get out of Santiago soon (and safely). A couple of my tablemates were supposed to be on that Atlanta flight last night so they were probably stuck too. After reading all this I guess I was really lucky with my flights. I was on the Sat night Atlanta flight and we left pretty much on time and my flight to Dayton left just a few minutes late so I was home by 1:30 yesterday afternoon. I didn't even open my bags until I got home from work a few minutes ago but now have the first load in the washer. Then I'd better spend some time on work email since I was in meetings all day and didn't have a chance to look at any of it. Luckily the post office won't deliver my snail mail until tomorrow so I can delay that until then!

Looking forward to reading everyone's final thoughts on the trip after real life sinks in a bit more for all. It was wonderful meeting and spending some great moments of this special trip with all of you. I'll be ready to go again in a few days (I wish!)

It was a FANTASTIC cruise, and I'm looking forward to doing it again in a few years. 2011 would be about right, I think.

Greg,

With all of the interest that these wonderful reports and pictures have brought, I would not be surprised that you could get a contingent of many of us to join you next time. It would be great to have some co-cruisers who can give us a guided tour through this wonderful itinerary! Debbi and I would love the chance to cruise with you again... Ruth, Adele , it would be a great time!

Let's hope we are all healthy enough to plan something like this in 2011!

Dear Ruth,

I'm so relieved to read that you made it home safe-and-sound. I was concerned, and from what I read my concern was well-founded.

Yes, travel was tough. I had problems other than what I've shared on this board -- nothing that, in the end, matters much to anybody else -- and Karl and Mary Ellen are STILL in transit, somewhere. I truly am concerned about them and am praying for their safe return home.

As life settles back down to normal, and as I process through and post high-quality selections from my several thousand pictures, the glorious good news is that we have only 4 months and an odd number of days before we depart for the Eurodam!

I just turned my head to look out my office window. It's already dark here in the Dallas area. <sigh> I miss the "Midnight Twilight."

With all of the interest that these wonderful reports and pictures have brought, I would not be surprised that you could get a contingent of many of us to join you next time. It would be great to have some co-cruisers who can give us a guided tour through this wonderful itinerary! Debbi and I would love the chance to cruise with you again... Ruth, Adele , it would be a great time!

Let's hope we are all healthy enough to plan something like this in 2011!

It is an intriguing idea. I now know some of the mistakes to NOT make, and some of the things to definitely DO. :D And, yes, 2011 would be a do-able time-frame. Nothing written in stone, of course. There are lots of cruises to take between now and then, and we don't even know what kind of itineraries they're going to offer in 2011 (and which ship will do it). Still, it's something to shoot for. I DO want to go back for another trip. Ruth was talking about an Expedition cruise with a different line, and that is certainly a possibility ... though I do want to do it on HAL again, too. :) Antarctica is gloriously beautiful, but so is scenic Patagonia. And, there are some side trips -- both pre and post cruise -- that I'd like to look into doing, too. <sigh> Not enough time, and not enough money ... those shall always be our problems! :D

I've finally had time to read through all your posts and what an exciting time you have had. Glad you're all home safe and sound.

Ruth, how wonderful that your fall in the elevator didn't stop you from enjoying the rest of your cruise. Your pillow chocolate is with mine!

Ok ... I saw THIS for sale aboard the Rotterdam in one of the shops and just had to take a picture of it. What's WRONG with the bear in this photo?

whatswrong.jpg

No hints. Adele picked up on it IMMEDIATELY.

Maybe the bear does love Rotterdam IV, but you guys were on Rotterdam VI>

LOL ...

Indeed.

And this wasn't the only stuffed animal that had a shirt with that error on it! :D

ALL the stuffed animals in the bin had it.

I showed it to a shop steward ... she didn't comprehend the problem. Didn't seem to understand it even after I explained it. Oh, well .... :D

I've finally had time to read through all your posts and what an exciting time you have had.

And I promise that I'll get to reading about your cruise ASAP, Carol. Promise.

Ruth, how wonderful that your fall in the elevator didn't stop you from enjoying the rest of your cruise.

Thanks. I'll admit it slowed me down more than a bit. The nurse was none too pleased that I went on my shore excursion instead of returning to the Infirmary for further treatment. The doctor explained that the smaller bone in the calf could have been broken, yet I could walk. I could have done more damage if it had been broken.

But I wanted to do those shore excursions!

Thanks. I'll admit it slowed me down more than a bit. The nurse was none too pleased that I went on my shore excursion instead of returning to the Infirmary for further treatment. The doctor explained that the smaller bone in the calf could have been broken, yet I could walk. I could have done more damage if it had been broken.

But I wanted to do those shore excursions!

So, Ruth, what's the status? Are you going to start wearing a brace, or did the impact fix something that was out of joint?? :D

So, Ruth, what's the status? Are you going to start wearing a brace, or did the impact fix something that was out of joint?? :D

Nothing got fixed---that's for sure. Now that the swelling has gone away the knee is as painful and unstable as ever; it gets worse by the day. Slows a girl right down, I can tell you! :(

I'll ask my doctor what his advice is and follow that. I'm hoping that getting back to the gym on a regular basis will strengthen the muscles and improve the situation.

Here's hoping you are not still in Delta limbo somewhere. What a miserable way to end a beautiful adventure.

Greg, if you are willing to organize a repeat in 2011 I will make every effort to be a part of the group. The Prinsendam this October was too good to pass up and the exchequer couldn't manage both trips in the same year. Ah, why wasn't I born rich??

Glad the rest of you got home safely. I hope Mary Ellen will report in soon.

Ruth, please keep us informed about what is happening with the knee.

We did finally make it home yesterday - 47 hrs after we left the Santiago Sheraton for the airport. :eek:

Telling DH's brother (a former USAF jet mechanic) about our very short first flight out of Santiago, his guess was that we had a bird go through an engine as we were climbing. We also took a very long time to slow down upon landing. I already knew that this a result of the engine problem, but BIL also reminded me that our plane was VERY heavy, as we had full fuel tanks for the anticipated 9+ hr flight. At least I didn't hear the engine backfiring until after we'd stopped moving. Some others further back towards the wing heard it while we were still in the air.

While it was reassuring that the runway wasn't lined with firetrucks, it was still a bit disconcerting to see them at the station with all their lights flashing as we were trying to slow down.

All in all, we were extremely impressed with what Delta did for us. Yes, there were some rough patches, but there aren't a lot of Delta employees in Santiago. With only one flight in and one out per day, there isn't normally a need. There was a lot of confusion getting us all sent to hotels for the night. Ok, that is a bit of an understatement, but they were trying. Transportation from the airport was the hang up. It was after midnight and it is hard to come up with buses for 300 on a moments notice.

In Atlanta, Delta really went all out. We arrived about 1:30 a.m. - not normally a time for International arrivals. They worked with Immigration, Customs, and TSA to be there for us. We had been warned that we may have to wait (an undetermined time) on the plane for Immigration & Customs to open. They were there waiting for us. If any of you have arrived internationally in ATL, you know how huge that immigration area is. Imagine it with just the passengers from one 767.

Delta also had a full staff to help with the re-checking and booking of flights (plus baggage handlers, ground crew.... ). Again, a few bumps along the way, but we could tell that everyone (I'm including the government types too - Immigration, Customs, & TSA) was really trying to help us. Delta gave us a voucher for an airport hotel that was very comfortable. We were able to get a few hours sleep, and clean up, before returning for our connecting flight - and home. No seats left in first class, but we did get 3 seats to ourselves in coach. Since we were finally getting home, we really didn't care at that point.

There were a few (only 3 that we saw) passengers who got bent out of shape that Delta wasn't doing enough for them. But that few out of a 767 isn't bad at all.

I/we still need to brush up on our Spanish - we're planning on doing this again in 2011 - and BIL, Chris, may be coming with us. ;)

Archived