The Happy Wanderer---Summertime Down South

RuthC

Absolutely love the pic of Ruth! You look like a doll. :) Makes me realize just how much I miss both of you.

You both write so beautifully descritptively. Greg - I'll look at your extended report & photos tomorrow when I'm not bleary-eyed. :rolleyes:

Do you have any human company down there? Have you seen any other ships in the area or researchers? Just curious.

We´re also checking in. Antarctica was spectacular!!! We´d expected this to be a ónce in a lifetime´cruise, but once isn´t enough. We´ll be back.

Also, I´ve found the perfect medications to handle my seasickness - the patch and 2 ginger capsules 2x a day. I wasn´t even queazy in the 45 foot sets out of the Falklands!!! Trust me, everyone is quite happy about that. ;)

I was surprised to see Ruth mention our Hard Rock stop. I´ve exposed her to the HRC guitar pins. :eek

Wonderful photos. Envious as ours doesnt include Antartica, only straightforward Rio to Valparaiso.

Ruth, thanks for the info re no Black and White or Tropical or otherwise themed evenings. Should this change please put a couple of words to that effect onto this thread....no more than that needed.

Counting the days until we leave........:)

We´re also checking in. Antarctica was spectacular!!!
Glad to hear that you and Karl are having such a fantastic time, Mary Ellen. Have you seen the future cruise consultant yet to book the "Voyage of the Good Nuts"?

Have fun for the rest of your cruise?

PS - is your team scoring well in trivia? I mean it goes without question....but

If possible your words are more expressive than your pictures which are awesome! Thank you for taking the time to post and to describe something I will undoubtedly never see.

We can see all the pictures in the world, but when someone we feel we know is actually there and expresses the magnificent beauty of being there, it somehow makes it all so much more real ... almost as if we are there a little bit ourselves.

Thank you.

Thank you all for sharing your experience with us ... amazing, beautiful, inspirational descriptions and pictures ... loved the picture of Ruth catching a snowflake ..

There will be in a time in our lives when we can take longer vacations ..I just shared this thread and pictures with my husband and we both agree that we will add this cruise to the top of our list!

Thank you ..and enjoy the upcoming ports of call!

Peggy

I was heading down my passageway a few minutes ago when I passed two stewards carrying goodies. One had a wine cooler with a bottle, and the other had a tray of chocolate truffles. Not surprisingly, my eyes grew large. When I returned from the infirmary I found that same wine and chocolate in my cabin! :D

:confused: Huh, you may ask? Infirmary? Yeah. :( Last night Humpty Dumpty (aka RuthC) had a great fall into an elevator when the deck level was lower than the lift. "Ouch" does not begin to cover it.

A few trips to the nurses and a visit to the doctor later it appears that I'll be good as new---eventually.

After all, I did make it to this morning's shore excursion rather than go back for more treatment. :rolleyes: Can't keep me from a good time!

Ruth, that sounds like a nasty fall. I see that they sent the perfect treatment, wine an chocolate though. It sounds like everyone is having a wonderful time. Thanks for posting and letting us share in your adventures.

It's been a very busy past few days. Is it only Monday? We've sure packed a lot in. On Saturday night we sailed back and forth at Cape Horn---the seas were absolutely flat. How lucky can you get! :D We gave wide berth to the NCL Dream (they've been known to hit another ship, doncha know), then I tried to head off to bed early. That little detour to the infirmary put the kibosh on that plan, but I did manage to get up at 5:00 AM :eek: for my tour in Ushuaia.

We had a too-early docking there and were sent right off to various places. My tour started on a catamaran for a ride along the Beagle Channel where I saw (and smelled :rolleyes: )lots of sea lions. We then sailed even further out where we switched to busses for a tour of the National Park. Gorgeous.

Ushuaia has to be set in one of the most beautiful places on earth! It is surrounded on three sides by rugged mountains dusted as if with confectioner's sugar. One passenger said the ride up the Channel reminded her of the Pacific Northwest. I suspect it looks similar to Switzerland when you're riding on the lakes.

Today was a not-quite-so-early tour in Punta Arenas, Chile. I went out to Ortway Bay where I hiked---on my injured knee, mind you---one mile out to a colony of Magellantic penguins up close and personal. Then a 1-mile hike back.

It was worth every ache and pain. :D

I hope tomorrow's sea-day grants a much-needed rest. Somehow or other they never do.

So, we'll see.

Now if you fell into a handsome man's arms ... No keeping you down Ruth, feel better.

er, I suppose I should be embarrased about this, but it did go in the nurse's report that I asked that the officers sent to help me were cute. :o

... it did go in the nurse's report that I asked that the officers sent to help me were cute. :o
RuthC ... you little vixen you! :D

Sounds like you had a great excursion along Beagle Channel. I hope you get your sea day rest. Yeah ... right! ;)

I was heading down my passageway a few minutes ago when I passed two stewards carrying goodies. One had a wine cooler with a bottle, and the other had a tray of chocolate truffles. Not surprisingly, my eyes grew large. When I returned from the infirmary I found that same wine and chocolate in my cabin!

It is truly amazing the depths you will go to just for more chocolate. This is now past being a simple "liking" or even a traditional "craving" - to throw yourself down an elevator shaft just on the off chance someone might send you truffles is way over the top. I think your fellow passengers should perform an intervention, and stand guard to insure that no chocolate crosses your threshold! Greg might even need to perform an exorcism to cast out that cocoa demon. You've got a chocolate monkey on your back and it's riding you to ruin!

470185738_9c7e4af497.jpg

Or, maybe not. :)

It is truly amazing the depths you will go to just for more chocolate. This is now past being a simple "liking" or even a traditional "craving" - to throw yourself down an elevator shaft just on the off chance someone might send you truffles is way over the top. I think your fellow passengers should perform an intervention, and stand guard to insure that no chocolate crosses your threshold! Greg might even need to perform an exorcism to cast out that cocoa demon. You've got a chocolate monkey on your back and it's riding you to ruin!

470185738_9c7e4af497.jpg

Or, maybe not. :)

Oooooo!!! Someone is going to be in trouble for even SUGGESTING the chocolate be kept away....:eek:

Let's talk about the entertainment on the ship. It's been pretty good. :) Not great, mind you, but good enough to keep me fairly happy most nights.

We have an excellent troupe of Rosario Strings in the Explorers Lounge. However, I have noticed they quit much earlier than I'm used to. Most nights they end around 10:30, instead of the midnight I've always seen before. :(

Jeff Warren in the Piano Lounge is good enough to draw me in most evenings. I can't say I care for his "tribute nights" for such performers as Elton John, Elvis, or the Beatles, but later in the evening, when the audience is thin, he plays standards and soft jazz that I do enjoy.

Joy plays in the Crow's Nest. The musicians are good---especially the piano player. The two female singers do not add to the performance.

The Ocean Bar has d'Sophisticados playing for cocktails and after-dinner dance sets. They're very good---especially for dancing, as compared to listening. They play a variety of tempos and seem to know their stuff.

The one thing I can't figure is why they, and frequently Jeff, are starting their breaks just when the second show is getting out. :confused: The crowds exit the theatre, pass the quiet lounges, and head off to bed.

Wouldn't it be better if they were playing---and maybe entice people to come in for a while? Perhaps even to buy a drink or two?

Oh, well. I don't make up the schedule. :rolleyes:

Archived