The Happy Wanderer---Summertime Down South

RuthC

Greg might even need to perform an exorcism to cast out that cocoa demon. You've got a chocolate monkey on your back and it's riding you to ruin!

LOL ... I have a video-burst of that to show, once I've had a chance to prepare and upload it. I probably won't be able to do that until I get home, but I promise to post it. All I can say is ... Ruth was, indeed, "exercised."

If possible your words are more expressive than your pictures which are awesome! Thank you for taking the time to post and to describe something I will undoubtedly never see.

We can see all the pictures in the world, but when someone we feel we know is actually there and expresses the magnificent beauty of being there, it somehow makes it all so much more real ... almost as if we are there a little bit ourselves.

Thank you.

You've very welcome, Heather. Your kind words mean a lot to me.

Yes, it is! But it's sounding like you're setting the bar very high with the cruise you're on! :cool: I've always wanted to do this itinerary. Now even more so.

Put down 2011. I'm serious about wanting to do this cruise again.

I've been to a few of the production show. Yes, she who hasn't liked them in the past has given them another try. I have to say they have improved somewhat. More of the songs---sometimes even the whole song! :) ---are sung. Much better then when it was minimal snippits. The singers and dancers are very good (sorry, Greg, I see it differently than you do), as are the costumes.

Oh, I don't disagree regarding the singers. These kids are excellent. The dancers, however, made lots of mistakes ... missing cues and (on more than one occasion) going the wrong way! Chatting with a couple of them in the Crows nest bore out my observations ... they were both very critical of their own errors, and they stated that they'd not been practicing together for very long. Be that as it may, I expressed my thanks to them for their hard work and for putting on a show even in 20 foot seas and significant swell. There was a disaster during their last show ... the hydraulics that run the stage system went out and the platforms collapsed! :eek: Thankfully, none of the dancers or singers were hurt and, after some reorganizing, "the show went on." Later that night I shared drinks with two of the dancers who were moping about the disaster, and I told them both how impressed I was that they were able to re-craft the show to fit the severe limitations of having a stage that wouldn't function.

In short, the cast-shows were good. The singers were excellent and the dancers are working hard to improve their performances. And, in the face of disaster, they were able to work together and (in about 10 minutes) were able to re-arrange the show to allow them to finish it. They deserved that standing ovation.

Loved the live reports on this cruise! Greg, your photos are beautiful. I would love to do this one day--even more after this thread and those incredible photos!

JUst off the Ooostrdam today and I made sure I got caught up on this wonderful adventure!

Thanks for sharing!!!

After a glorious last day at sea (which I spent wandering the ship, talking to people, enjoying the lectures, enjoying breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and trying to maximize every last instance of the cruise) today began WAY too early. As I was putting out my bag into the hall at 1:30 am (it was hard to leave the Crows nest last night) ... just in time for the crew to put it on the trolly and haul it to the elevators) the Rotterdam was slowing to 6 knots and beginning a slow circular cruise around outside Valpariso's harbor. As it was, we pulled in and docked about 3 am.

I got up at 6 am, dressed, and went up to have my "last breakfast" -- a bacon, onion, and cheese omelet, with hash browns, coffee, O.J., and an english muffin. I then made my way back to my cabin and put my feet up to await the disembarkation process. Amazingly, NOBODY was called to the front desk to "settle up." The process began at 8 am and by 8:30 I was disembarking the ship for a LONG LONG day of transit to Santiago and touring this lovely city.

The HAL arranged tour was a nice one. We stopped at the national race track (it was more a potty stop than anything else), Constitution Square (for a view of the Presidential Palace), the National Cathedral, and then a trip up the side of a hill in a Funicular for a glance (and I mean a glance) at the city from far above and a peek at Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception. After this we were rushed across the top to the sky way ("cable car") for a trip half-way down to where we ate lunch (at 1:30 pm). After lunch we road across town to a shopping district for a 45 minute mandatory shopping stop. The shops were wonderful, and I made a small purchase (even though there isn't room in my bags!). Then, the bus dropped off some of our number at the Marriot, then several more (including myself) at the Sheraton, before continuing on to the airport with those who are flying home tonight (ugh!). I grabbed a taxi, and transferred to the Crowne Plaza Hotel, which is a LOVELY property in the middle of downtown with fantastic views of the city and of the Andes mountains. And, now, I'm in bed, laptop on my chest, typing of this report and clearing out e-mail. I've got thousands of photos to process ... so ... I ask people to be patient. I may work on it some during the flight (assuming I don't sleep any tomorrow night).

One word of warning. If you're going to do the Highlights of Santiago post-cruise tour, be warned that the time "on top" is limited. Once you get up there they want you to RUSH. And the "little bit of walking" is quite a LOT of walking, climbing steps and a very steep hill. And, it didn't help that our guide kept huffing and puffing and pushing us to "go faster." I'm serious. We made it to the top in the funicular, exited the train, and she said "there, on your left, is the city. Up, on your right, is the statue of Mary. Let's go, the cable-car down to lunch is several hundred meters up the hill over here and we don't have time to spare." I'm SERIOUS. I got 30 seconds "on top" to take a few photos of the city and of the statue, and then I had to literally run to catch up with the group. As it was, several of the members of our group were not physically capable of making the trip. HAL needs to more correctly characterize the tour (it was given the most minimal physical activity ranking, while it should have had at least 2 or 3 walkers).

Time for me to try to get to sleep. Tomorrow I hope to do some touring of downtown (and I may go back to the hill side to see what I missed by being rushed today).

Thank you all so much for taking some of your precious traveling time to share your travels with those of us at home. RevNeal, do enjoy your stay in Chile -- what a wonderful country.

To Ruth C and all of you who were on board the Rotterdam have a safe trip home!

Thank you once again Greg for the amazing photos. Coming from the land of ice and snow this cruise just does not appeal to me. It's great to be able to see such great pictures through someone elses eyes however. Thank you for taking the time (and money) to post them.

Thank you so much lorekauf for your post. I took one look at Greg's first photograph and my first thought was "dayum that looks freakin' cold":eek: .

To some, who have never lived through interminable winters; been forced for one reason or another to venture outside during raging blizzards; been so cold that they could actually feel their bones ache from the cold, then I imagine that Antarctica could hold some fascination. As far as I am concerned if I never see Antarctica, or even snow again, it will be too soon.

On the other hand, I cannot deny the majesty of the continent and Greg's photographs are simply stunning. Thank you Greg for taking the time to post them for our enjoyment and edification.

However, give me whales breaching and dolphins playing alongside the ship in the sunny Mexican Riviera during the early part of February. Just got back from that kind of a cruise and I could go again tomorrow if only there were a ship in port headed that way.

As for the rest of this cruise, I love the itinerary. I did the San Diego to Rio cruise about seven years ago - it was definitely one of my favorite cruises of all time - and just found out that in 2009 the Amsterdam is doing a Rio to San Diego cruise. It doesn't visit Antarctica so I'm already booked on that one, and I can't wait - so many great ports and so many adventures, so many wonderful people to meet and some of my faviorite cities to visit again.

Valerie:)

Thank you so much lorekauf for your post. I took one look at Greg's first photograph and my first thought was "dayum that looks freakin' cold":eek: .

To some, who have never lived through interminable winters; been forced for one reason or another to venture outside during raging blizzards; been so cold that they could actually feel their bones ache from the cold, then I imagine that Antarctica could hold some fascination. As far as I am concerned if I never see Antarctica, or even snow again, it will be too soon.

On the other hand, I cannot deny the majesty of the continent and Greg's photographs are simply stunning. Thank you Greg for taking the time to post them for our enjoyment and edification.

However, give me whales breaching and dolphins playing alongside the ship in the sunny Mexican Riviera during the early part of February. Just got back from that kind of a cruise and I could go again tomorrow if only there were a ship in port headed that way.

As for the rest of this cruise, I love the itinerary. I did the San Diego to Rio cruise about seven years ago - it was definitely one of my favorite cruises of all time - and just found out that in 2009 the Amsterdam is doing a Rio to San Diego cruise. It doesn't visit Antarctica so I'm already booked on that one, and I can't wait - so many great ports and so many adventures, so many wonderful people to meet and some of my faviorite cities to visit again.

Glad someone can see why the cold doesn't hold much appeal. It's been a cold winter in Calgary. Too many minus 30 days! I'm sooooo looking forward to the Caribbean in April. You made me smile when I read your post!:D

Hi again lorekauf:

I tried to "quote" your post but either the board is acting up, or it's my computer having fits again.

I just got back, actually just a few hours ago, from what was known on the HAL boards as "The Yummer Cruise". There was a group of about 70 (?) of us Yummers, but also onboard was a group of about 40 lovely "Red Hat Ladies", mostly from the Calgary area.

What an incredible group of women they are. We "Yummers" had so much fun every time we met up with them. I just felt so awful this morning when I said goodbye to them knowing that they had some longish flights ahead of them, only to be greeted by snow and miserable temperatures once they got home, and here was spoiled little moi faced with a twenty minute drive from the pier to my doorstep - ah, you gotta love San Diego, and believe me I do.

Try to stay warm - believe me, as Bill Clinton is apparently famous for saying, "I feel your pain".

p.s. I'm so sorry that I forgot to say that I hope you have a wonderful time on your Caribbean cruise in April and that the sunshine eases the memories of this freakin' long cold winter you are going through right now.

Welcome home! You sold me on this cruise. I called my TA and we put down a deposit. So excited! Revneal, how did you feel being out of touch with no internet for a few days? This is the one thing that really concerns me about this cruise. If there is an emegency can you still be reached on the ship? Also were there any kids? Thanks RuthC and revneal for such a great thread! Hopefully my DH and I will love this trip! Amy

After a glorious last day at sea (which I spent wandering the ship, talking to people, enjoying the lectures, enjoying breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and trying to maximize every last instance of the cruise) today began WAY too early. As I was putting out my bag into the hall at 1:30 am (it was hard to leave the Crows nest last night) ... just in time for the crew to put it on the trolly and haul it to the elevators) the Rotterdam was slowing to 6 knots and beginning a slow circular cruise around outside Valpariso's harbor. As it was, we pulled in and docked about 3 am.

Time for me to try to get to sleep. Tomorrow I hope to do some touring of downtown (and I may go back to the hill side to see what I missed by being rushed today).

Have a safe flight home Greg and everyone else that stayed over for an extra day. I just finished the long leg to Atlanta and have a couple of hours before my final flight to Dayton so I should be home early this afternoon to start laundry and get ready to go back to work tomorrow morning. I enjoyed meeting so many ccers on this trip and look forward to reading everyone's final reports (and catch up on what's been posted during the trip without having to watch the # of minutes left!)

Oh, I don't disagree regarding the singers. These kids are excellent. The dancers, however, made lots of mistakes ... missing cues and (on more than one occasion) going the wrong way! Chatting with a couple of them in the Crows nest bore out my observations ... they were both very critical of their own errors, and they stated that they'd not been practicing together for very long. Be that as it may, I expressed my thanks to them for their hard work and for putting on a show even in 20 foot seas and significant swell. There was a disaster during their last show ... the hydraulics that run the stage system went out and the platforms collapsed! :eek: Thankfully, none of the dancers or singers were hurt and, after some reorganizing, "the show went on." Later that night I shared drinks with two of the dancers who were moping about the disaster, and I told them both how impressed I was that they were able to re-craft the show to fit the severe limitations of having a stage that wouldn't function.

In short, the cast-shows were good. The singers were excellent and the dancers are working hard to improve their performances. And, in the face of disaster, they were able to work together and (in about 10 minutes) were able to re-arrange the show to allow them to finish it. They deserved that standing ovation.

I agree these singers were among the best I've heard on any of the HAL Casts (especially the girl from England) . We really didn't get to see the dancers much (and one was definitely watching his feet most of the show). I had just walked into the lounge when the stage crashed and heard a scream from behind the curtain. It was very scarry and we couldn't believe how professionally they handled the revamped show. The group from my table went to every show and with 1 exception we found them all to be very good to great. The composer/commedian's first show was terrible and I know many people walked out of it. He did a short set in a later show and it wasn't too bad but we were ready to leave if it was.

It wasn't that cold. Oh, sure ... when the wind picked up and the cloud covered the sun the wind chill made it bitterly cold. But, truthfully, the daytime temperatures never fell all that far bellow freezing, and there were long stretches (especially on the last day in Antarctica) when the sun was bright and the temperatures out on deck were quite comfortable. In short ... it probably looks colder in the pictures than it actually was.

Likewise, to some who have never lived through never-ending, life draining summers; been forced for one reason or other to venture outside during the middle of 110+ (F) degree, hot and humid days and swelter through the long nights where the temperatures never drop bellow 90 (F) degrees ... I can imagine that the Sunny Mexican Riviera in February would hold some fascination. :)

Different strokes for different folks.

Greg, since we've just returned from the Noordam, I haven't had time to read through this whole thread.

I do want to thank you for telling me how to find the Noordam's bell. It was really great to walk out on that bow and take that picture.

Glad you had a good cruise. Being home is a real bummer, but the room keeps rocking away, just like the boat.

Greg, since we've just returned from the Noordam, I haven't had time to read through this whole thread.

I do want to thank you for telling me how to find the Noordam's bell. It was really great to walk out on that bow and take that picture.

Glad you had a good cruise. Being home is a real bummer, but the room keeps rocking away, just like the boat.

You're welcome, and welcome home. :) I transfer to the airport tonight for my flight home. 9 hours in the air! UGH! At least it's a non-stop flight, direct from Santiago to DFW.

4 Months and about a week and a half until my next cruise. Can I stand the anticipation???? :D

I just want to say Welcome Home to all of you.:)

Earlier last week had to be some what quiet on the CC board with so many of us all cruising. But glad to hear everyone is home. I too have not had a chance to read thru the past week's of posts from you thread but as I get caught up I will return to read thru it.

Looking forward to seeing lot's of pictures.

Hi again lorekauf:

I tried to "quote" your post but either the board is acting up, or it's my computer having fits again.

I just got back, actually just a few hours ago, from what was known on the HAL boards as "The Yummer Cruise". There was a group of about 70 (?) of us Yummers, but also onboard was a group of about 40 lovely "Red Hat Ladies", mostly from the Calgary area.

What an incredible group of women they are. We "Yummers" had so much fun every time we met up with them. I just felt so awful this morning when I said goodbye to them knowing that they had some longish flights ahead of them, only to be greeted by snow and miserable temperatures once they got home, and here was spoiled little moi faced with a twenty minute drive from the pier to my doorstep - ah, you gotta love San Diego, and believe me I do.

Try to stay warm - believe me, as Bill Clinton is apparently famous for saying, "I feel your pain".

p.s. I'm so sorry that I forgot to say that I hope you have a wonderful time on your Caribbean cruise in April and that the sunshine eases the memories of this freakin' long cold winter you are going through right now.

You are very kind. Thank you for the well wishes for my Caribbean cruise. It's nice also that you enjoyed the company of the Red Hat ladies. I'm sure they enjoyed your company as well. The weather has been pretty darn nice this weekend so at least they are coming back to some pleasant weather!

Greetings from the Airport in Santiago.

Yes, my flight is delayed. They're saying we won't be able to board for another hour (if we're lucky) whereas we should have been boarding right now. :(

Hopefully, I'll be home in 11 hours. But, I'm not going to hold my breath.

All good things must come to an end ... and this cruise was glorious. Sadly, it has now come to its end. :( Oh, well ... 4 months and an odd number of weeks and I'll be boarding the Eurodam for 23 glorious days in Northern Europe. I think I can hold on for that long without a cruise fix. Maybe.

Thank you to Ruth & RevNeal for posting this fantastic cruise. We did the SA portion from San Diego to Rio but it did not include Antarctica. I would love to have had that experience as well. Thanks for all the wonderful photos as well. Safe travels to all.

Cheers! Colette

Hola de Santiago. Que tal. Como esta usted? Esta bien. It appears I desperately need to brush up on my Spanish. Somehow what I was taught over 30 yrs ago has not stuck with me. :o

We expected to return to Santiago, but not so soon. After a scenic low level flight over the area last night, our pilot decided we needed more engines than were functioning during our attempted assent, to make the 9+ hr flight to Atlanta.

We returned to Santiago. Very soon it was determined that this was not a problem with a quick fix. We did see Greg[s AA flight - both when we departed from the gate on one side of it and againwhen returned to the gate on the other side. I sure hope his flight was less eventful.

We and our luggage were deplaned, involving immigration and customs. Given the hour and that Delta is fairly small operation here, the mass confusion was understandable. Our taxi ride here was also *scenic* - we saw parts not on our highlights tour.... :eek:

We are still trying to figure out what is going to happen. All we know right now is that Delta has told us we are being taken to the airport at 1 p.m. We shall see....

Sorry about the odd symbols, but South American keyboards are a bit different and what is on the keyboard, isn[t necessarly what appears on the screen. If we have to take up residency here I will need to learn that - in addition to more Spanish. At least we have a head start on the Spanish. ;)

Archived