Can a Princess Loyalist be happy on Carnival?

Griff4AU

Sorry, I don't mean to sound like a cruise snob here, but I'm in a tough spot.

I've been a loyal Princess (and also enjoy RCI) cruiser and am very comfortable with Princess. To me, it's just the right mix of polish, class and service without the "Bushwood Country Club" snobatorium mentality at a fair price. I've been on the Crown, Caribbean and Coral within the last 18 months.

Now I find myself trying to put together a last minute Spring Break cruise for a (about to be) newly formed family of 8. My GF and I have 6 kids between us. Princess has nothing (actually, I am disappointed with their offerings this year), and all RCI has is 2 inside quad cabins on one of their older ships (Majesty). 120 SqFt / very tight at 4 per cabin, and we can't spread to a third cabin as there are only 2 adults.

Of course, Carnival has lots of options. The thought of being on a Carnival cruise at Spring Break doesn't appeal to me. Now, this is for the kids (17, 16, 14, 14, 12, 11), and this may be the last opportunity the 8 of us can vacation together (maybe Spring Break next year), so that weighs in.

So for those of you who have experienced Carnival, should I try it, or wait until I can get a decent itinerary and cabins on Princess / RCI / Clebrity / NCL or alike?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Griff

If we had kids, we'd probably sail on Carnival. The families I've talked with who have sailed on Carnival have liked it. The people who haven't liked Carnival that I've talked with have been older couples who haven't taken kids with them.

I would avoid the RC Majesty like the plague. It's an older ship with extremely small cabins (much smaller than any on the mass market cruise lines' new builds). Putting 4 into one of its insides...it would be like the berths on a sailboat, I think.

Does Celebrity have anything? Although their demographics trend older, we've found that during Spring Break, there are lots of kids and plenty for them to do. Just remember it's a dressier, more formal cruise line, but if you go on on of their Millenium Class ships, there's plenty of alternative dining options in the evening. I wouldn't recommend a Century Class ship with kids.

Spring break may be a bit rough....but, if you're willing to try it, then go for it:D Despite what you read about Carnival, we honestly had a very nice cruise last July on our first Carnival cruise. The ship, a bit "bright", a lot of neon, not like the ambiance of Princess. The beds, wonderful, most comfortable bed I've ever slept in! Food, not bad (prefer Princess) good deli and Asian bar. Entertainment, not bad, overall had a good time. We do prefer Princess, as it seems like to best fit for us now.

Good luck in your decision.

Well, having sailed pretty much everyone at all times of the year... I would say Spring Break on any line is not going to be a quiet cruise, but lets look at the things that matter.

First off, you want to be together and there is no question that the kids will have everything they could possibly need or want on a Carnival ship. In fact, with the ages that you mentioned, I think Carnival would be a better ship for the kids than Princess.

We absolutely love Princess... and Celebrity... but lately I have to say that Carnival has increased/improved their food quality to within the same range as RCI and Princess both. Sure, you may not have as much selection and the atmosphere might not be as country clubbish, but my last sailings on Princess did not impress me as being that much better than the big C. To be honest, I found the service to be even friendlier and more committed on my last Carnival trips... so when choosing between a cruise or no cruise.... GO!

What I would suggest, to keep certain of your proclivities pleased, is to choose one of the newer ships that will be sure to have a certain level of ship, even if it is flashier in style than what you are used to.

Go for it... as you said, this is a family trip!!!

Don't be afraid of Carnival. We have sailed with them on 4 cruises and have had great experiences every time, especially in the summer when the ships were full of kids! If you stay on their newer ships you will be pleasantly surprised. We were! We were like you, hesitant and forced into Carnival by a lack of availability on the other cruise lines when we were traveling with our three teens. We had a great cruise and our minds were changed on the "Carnival stigma" that people who have never sailed Carnival has. In fact after sailing on our last Princess cruise in November, my husband and I both remarked that we liked Carnival a little better now.

Griff--I had much the same worries as you--and ended up on the Carnival Spirit over Spring Break for 8 days to the Mexican Riviera two years ago. I had many concerns, spent a lot of time checking out ship pictures so I knew what to expect as far as differences, steeled my resolve to lower my expectations.....and had one of the best cruises ever.

Yes, much of the decor was 'plastic', particularly in the buffet area. And some of the fellow passengers were..well Jeff Foxworthy would have found a lot of source material. But our own tablemates were charming, the food was OK, and the staff was superb.

The fellow passengers were a wide mix, many families, very few obnoxious adults or kids. One child playing some sort of elevator 'game' that managed to be sufficiently embarrased when asked "Where is your Mother??"--no loud drunk adults (well except perhaps mid-day at the pool games contests), no college or teen 'gangs' noticed at all, 2-3 quiet drunk adults that seemed to be permanently attached to one table by the pool. Even the quad cabin of four teens next door to us was only heard when they went in or out of their room. On the other hand we met some truly wonderful people from these boards that were on the Roll Call and met some friendly and personable people who made the time in the lounges and atrium bars a pleasurable time. I did not see, or hear, one complaining passenger the entire cruise. Yes, really, even at the Shore Excursion and Purser's desks. I was very pleasantly surprised at this--no chair hog hysterics, no threats of mutiny, nobody stomping around going "HMMMPHHHF--I will be writing to Princess about this abominable situation!!"

And did I mention the staff? Not one cranky crew member at the Purser's desk, a room steward who changed a flickering light bulb before we asked, attentive and professional wait staff that remembered our preferences, and took the time to actually talk to us, and smiling, approachable staff everywhere you went.

We do not have children, but one of the Roll Call members had a 12 YO girl that just loved the kids/teen club. I checked it out, and the size, decor and amenities were better than what I had seen on the Grand, Golden and Star Princess. I cannot say much more than that, other than to say that in general, Carnival gets the highest marks for this area from reviewers. I did see the kids groups in supervised situations on the ship from time to time--eating in the buffet, doing crafts/decorations for that evening's dance party, on a scavenger hunt, etc.--and they all seemed to be happy, engaged and well-supervised.

I did miss the lovely decor of Princess ships. I did wish that Carnival had something other than the cheesy plastic hangars on a theft-proof hotel style hook. The buffet decor was only a step up from a fast-food chain. I am not impressed by the dancing and singing waiters, but one of our best pictures turned out to be my DH waltzing with our head waitress during one of those productions. I could take or leave the towel animals, but the DH had no prior knowledge of them and began to look forward to them every night.

I know it is a personal preference and oftentimes just luck of the draw as to your passenger mix, but I really do think how you approach a cruise on a different line, and adjust your expectations accordingly, results in a much better experience. Since then we have taken one Princess cruise and booked another. I still prefer Princess over Carnival, but I no longer rule out Carnival entirely.

Given your large contingent of teens and pre-teens, I would say do your research and then go and have a wonderful time.

Sorry, I don't mean to sound like a cruise snob here, but I'm in a tough spot.

I've been a loyal Princess (and also enjoy RCI) cruiser and am very comfortable with Princess. To me, it's just the right mix of polish, class and service without the "Bushwood Country Club" snobatorium mentality at a fair price. I've been on the Crown, Caribbean and Coral within the last 18 months.

Now I find myself trying to put together a last minute Spring Break cruise for a (about to be) newly formed family of 8. My GF and I have 6 kids between us. Princess has nothing (actually, I am disappointed with their offerings this year), and all RCI has is 2 inside quad cabins on one of their older ships (Majesty). 120 SqFt / very tight at 4 per cabin, and we can't spread to a third cabin as there are only 2 adults.

Of course, Carnival has lots of options. The thought of being on a Carnival cruise at Spring Break doesn't appeal to me. Now, this is for the kids (17, 16, 14, 14, 12, 11), and this may be the last opportunity the 8 of us can vacation together (maybe Spring Break next year), so that weighs in.

So for those of you who have experienced Carnival, should I try it, or wait until I can get a decent itinerary and cabins on Princess / RCI / Clebrity / NCL or alike?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Griff

Go for it. The kids will have a ball and you most likely will too. I think Carnival does the best job with their programs for children. Having said that, we have sailed Carnival Thanksgiving week twice; lots of families; lots of kids. Had a great time each time. As for being a Princess loyalist - does 33 with Princess count as one? LOL

Pia

We have been on one Carnival cruise, nine with Princess & two with NCL. We selected the Carnival one because we were taking our kids (16 & 14 at the time). We wanted a cruise with lots of kids, so ours would have a wonderful time. While we much prefer Princess & NCL, we had a good time on Carnival. Given why we choose it, it was the right choice for my family.

I'm "Elite" with Princess and just went VIP with Carnival (although most of my cruises w/ them were in the 90s)... We just spent 8 days on Carn. Liberty and had a great time... we found the night life (oddly) to be lacking a little bit compared to Princess although disco opening earlier was nice. Cabin was great although would never get aft again bec. we do NOT like partially covered/open balconies. Crew was friendliest I can remember, food was fine.. In short, yes I guess you can find happiness.. My new DH gets military rates on Carnival so most of our non-Princess (which is decidely and always our "preference") cruises will be on Carnival I imagine. Although the decor on the Carnival ships ..oy! it's just too "over the top" for us but enough margaritas and you don't notice :D

There are just aspects of the Princess cruise "experience" that I much prefer.

What's a bad cruise anyway? Okay, the Titanic might not rank high in the cruise critic review section LOL. But we've been on Carnival twice and will likely take the kids on them sometime. Just don't predispose yourself to the idea that you are making a mistake or taking a huge chance on this.

Frankly, as much as I love Princess, after the Grand, Sapphire and Caribbean, I could stand a little flashy neon for one cruise LOL.

Carnival should be fine with you and your kids. The room is a good size, the shower is larger, the beds are wonderful and icecreme is served thruout the day and evening for free for the kids (and adults if you wanted it).

The big difference is decoration. Carnival is more neon Vegas glitzy and Princess is more wood and subdued. There is traditional dining on Carnival and they do have singing and dancing at their dinners between dinner and dessert. Your kids would probably like it. Our kids really liked Carnival and the service is just as good as Princess for the rooms and dining. There are slides at the pools with Carnival that the kids love also. It doesn't hurt to try it and I would definitely go with Carnival before going with NCL. Carnival has a bunch of new ships out with a version of MUTS but I haven't been on one yet.

i dont know why so many people are slating carnival it was my first cruise and it was during our october school break in the caribbean and it wasnt overrun with kids as i was led to believe, the rooms are so much bigger and the quality of service was far more superior than any hotel ive ever been in , the food well princess will have a lot to live up to in my opinion, i will be on my first princess cruise in april, these shiops are so big that you hardly notice the kids, as they want to be at their clubs and discos, they always try to avoid adults to , we all did when we were young, and we were all young remember, i dont know how staff and accomodations can be less than princess i still have to see this then i will compare but carnival miracle was the ship that has now got me hooked on cruising:p

just another thing to mention HAPPY kids make for an easier holiday dont you think, and as the other poster said about singing waiters at your dinner , they arent in your face they only do one or 2 songs at the end of your dinner maybe only twice a week and its the ones that are with you at your table serving you all week:p

Free ice cream too 24 hours.

we are carnival Junkies- But sailed Princess last year for the first time and dont think i will go back to carnival UNLESS i was sailing with the kids.

The kids program--especialy for the older teens is a great hit. They have their own meeting area.

the 14 year olds will be iffy though. They will not combine the kids--especially during a high peak sailing time. your 12-14 will be together- your 11 year old will be seperated in their own program.

Remember- you are taking the vacation "for" the kids.

Griff, If I were you I'd wait. I speak from personal experience and I would rather put my eye out with a clam fork than cruise on Carnival again. I've cruised on Disney, Carnival, NCL, RCL, Celebrity and Princess, and I wouldn't cruise Carnival again if it were free. Well, maybe if it were free, but not in the Caribbean.

We cruised the Glory with our kids over spring break (kids ages ranged from 2 years old to 15) The cabins were nice, food and service were fine but the noise! Loud, obnoxious music BLASTING on the Lido deck, really tacky pool games (they actually provided barf buckets for the "fear factor" game, you get the idea), drunks falling down in the hallway and banging on cabin doors at 3 am (no I am NOT exaggerating, it happened 3 nights in a row). It had all the charm of a frat party without the hardbodies. It was even our kids least favorite cruise!

I realize that not every cruise will have that type of atmosphere, but I'll never risk it again.

After years of cruising on Princess, and also RCI, HAL, Celebrity and being away from Carnival for over 15 years, I met someone online that worked for Carnival. It was on a message board, and we began to discuss why we would no longer sail on a line that we began our cruising experiences on.

She understood, but wanted us to try it again and offered to put us on a free Press cruise (everything free from pictures to drinks to internet). All we had to do is to get ourselves to the port. We agreed to give it another try.

We boarded and couldn't stop laughing at the decor on this brand new ship......................what an eye full. We had a great balcony room and everything, she really made sure we had a great location and nice stateroom.

We sailed with all the big wigs of Carnival and met them all in person. Were we impressed? Nope!

Needless to say, if it were us, we would wait for a better idea as we still found Carnival is just not something that fits us or our needs for a vacation. And we haven't been back since. IMHO of coarse.

Griff, no worries. The kids will LOVE it! Thusly, so will you! We took my (step) daughters on Carnival when they were 11, 13 and 15 and they all had a great time! They still talk about it and that was years ago! I Imagine Spring Break can get nuts, but anywhere you go --- land or sea --- can be that way!

go ahead, you'll enjoy it. Don't expect it to be like Princess, they're both good apples, just diff varieties. The kids will enjoy. I wouldn't worry bout Spring Break, we've been on both during this time and yes had obnoxious kids on both (YES, even on a Princess ship).

I would sail one of the newer ships, the breakers on their own are looking for the deals which as you know will typically be found on the older, smaller ships. Enjoy your family time, they'll be gone before you know it.

I probably couldn't do it unless I was doing it for the ports.

My first cruise was on Carnival. It was such a gawdy ship! I did enjoy it but all of other cruises after that were better.

I have friends who are loyal Princess cruisers. They went on Carnival Spirit recently with an open mind and they couldn't wait to get off the ship.

I am not sure I would test my vacation dollars going back to Carnival.

Archived