TSA locks

imru12

I wouldn't spend the money for them. Use plastic cable ties instead. TSA security has been known to cut off TSA approved locks because "they couldn't find the key". If you use the cable ties and they cut them to look in your luggage, they will use a new one to close it up. They will NOT put a new lock on.

Cheers,

I also have used the TSA approved locks since they came out and have never had a problem with them. Once I did find a notice inside my luggage stating that my bag had been searched, but they must not have had any problem unlocking the lock because it was not damaged in any way.

Terri

I've used the cable ties, but ran into problems in hotel rooms trying to cut them off when a pair of scissors or a sharp enough knife is nowhere to be found. Now I usually use twist ties and have not yet had a problem.

On my last cruise (Sept) I used TSA locks, no problem, one case was opened -with a key - searched by TSA , a note put in the case and the lock refastened.

It is not only the airlines, the airport staff , or the loaders at the docks. The cruise ship does not check the staff that assist with the luggage.

On one cruise, I saw my cases intact delivered to the dockside, but one of my cases did not arrive at my cabin, I asked , got usual "we are still delivering " even at 10pm it had still not arrived. Finally I went to bed convinced my luggage would be among the missing.

I heard a thump outside the door in the early hours of the morning, struggled into a robe, opened the door, there was my case, not a staffer in sight. The case which had been in pristine condition at the dockside, now had the handle hanging loose, the rivet had been pried out, the straps (3 of them) were missing , presumed cut off, and someone had tried to pry open the lock on the main zip. The lock held so my clothes etc were safe,

Given the time it was put outside my door, the way the staffer disappeared (the hallway was deserted and there were no other cases outside any cabin.) it was obvious to me that the would be thief was a member of the crew.

I never leave my cases unlocked

Just remember folks, the TSA locks are only for flights within the USA.

If your flying outside the USA, the country you're flying from won't have the TSA keys and will use the universal key, bolt cutter, if they want in.

Best to be prepared and have an extra lock or wire ties or both.

I have both.:cool:

They do have to be TSA locks if you are flying. I have ALWAYS locked my bags and have been using the TSA locks since they first came out. I have not had any problems with them.

This is untrue. It is suggested. We have always used the electrical ties. The 2 times our luggage has been checked, the TSA replaced the ties with new ones. :)

If your flying outside the USA, the country you're flying from won't have the TSA keys and will use the universal key, bolt cutter, if they want in.

not true...we use them in Australia...they are sold in all travel bag shops here..and we use them all over the world

We flew Air Tran in sept.07, from Orlando to Pittsburgh. Had liquor in 1 suitcase, and was locked w/TSA lock. When we received the luggage in Pittsburgh, didn't notice no TSA lock. After we got home, I noticed it was missing, along w/a note they had checked our luggage. Everything was intact, including the 4 bottles of alcohol, but they forgot to put the lock back on. I didn't bother to report it to the airlines. Just figured wasn't worth the hassle. Will just buy another lock at Target. We have used them 5 or 6 times now and first time had a problem. I just feel much safer using the locks.

Checking in at Los Angeles for a flight last week for a flight to SFO, after check-in and airline tags, we had to take our bags to the screening station. There was a big sign -- no locks. We also had to remove our TSA locks. Cable Ties were allowed! So back to ties now for flights and locks for embarkation and disembarkation! /Sulta

From the responses above, it's pretty clear there is no perfect answer. It all depends on where you fly and who's inspecting.

We have used ties and occassionally they get cut and not replaced. Replacement is enhanced when we tape a new tag to the outside of the bag for their use.

I am testing the TSA locks on my current trip. They made it to my destination in Hawaii just fine. We'll see if they make it home as well.

I laugh every time I walk into Phoenix Sky Harbor or JFK. "Right next to" or "on top of" the "baggage screening" machine is a large, red handled pair of bolt cutters. When you see this, do you REALLY think they are going to call the Supervisor (the only one who has the key or combo to unlock TSA locks). No, they are going to cut them off.

I fly a lot (123,568 miles in 2007). I use brightly colored zip ties(florescent hot pink is my preference) on all zippers and the handle. Not only does it secure my luggage, but makes it VERY easy to see at a distance.

IF I don't see the zip ties, I won't even pull the luggage off the carousel. I KNOW someone has been in my luggage. Could be TSA, but also could be a thief. At that point in time, I get the baggage agent to watch me open the luggage. IF nothing is missing, I wasted a few minutes of the baggage agent's time. IF there is something missing, it can be addressed on the spot and no on can state that I "lost it at home, never put it in my suitcase, or I am trying to scam the airline". Way too many reports of people NOT realizing their suitcases have been opened until they get home (see one in this thread).

I bought TSA locks when they first came out (they were expensive then). They were all cut off within a few months. I stand by my zip ties-cheap, available most anyplace you shop. Just don't forget the nail clippers in the outside pocket.

IF I don't see the zip ties, I won't even pull the luggage off the carousel. I KNOW someone has been in my luggage. Could be TSA, but also could be a thief. At that point in time, I get the baggage agent to watch me open the luggage. IF nothing is missing, I wasted a few minutes of the baggage agent's time. IF there is something missing, it can be addressed on the spot and no on can state that I "lost it at home, never put it in my suitcase, or I am trying to scam the airline". .

how does this prove there was something missing?? it's just your word against theirs after all...you could say anything, how do they know it's true?

how does this prove there was something missing?? it's just your word against theirs after all...you could say anything, how do they know it's true?

IF I was trying to scam the airline, I could see your point.

But as a general rule, when suitcases have been broken into, the contents are NOT put back in a neat fashion. TSA tries their best to keep the contents somewhat neat and they are SUPPOSED to leave a note (although they sometimes miss the note).

So if I notice that the zip ties are missing from my suitcase, I get the baggage agent. IF I open my suitcase and stuff is strewn all over and stuff is missing, that pretty well makes a prima facia case for theft during the period the airline had control of my suitcases (they always ask the question "has the luggage been in your control the entire time before check in"). Now proving what is missing is a whole 'nother situation. Airlines ALWAYS ask for receipts or some proof of purchase (they will take pictures of items as proof).

Wrong! Only the TSA is rude and paranoid enough to cut your locks.

We have travelled extensively, using both TSA and ordinary locks. If baggage needs to be inspected, most other countries will call for you to come and open the baggage. It happened to us in China.

Wrong! Only the TSA is rude and paranoid enough to cut your locks.

Not paranoid at all. TSA personnel need a special key/combination to get into a TSA lock. Those keys are kept by supervisor's/key people. If those people happen to be at lunch, resolving another problem, on the other side of the airport, etc. etc., cutting the locks off are the only way to get into a suitcase.

If the suitcase screening showed a bomb or bomb-like object, would you REALLY want them to wait for a supervisor??? How about trying to page you when you are eating and drinking at the airport club lounge??? Just use the bolt cutters.

Archived