All Things Freedom of the Seas!

Hello to all! We are planning an Anniversary Cruise for both of our parents. There will be about 10 couples and possibly 4 children. It's my wife's mom and dads 50th and my parents 60th. In you opinion is this ship too large for older folks to get around on? Both fathers have trouble walking. What would you suggest??

Happy Sailing!

Earl

It is a big ship. However, the "small" ships are only about 100 - 200 feet shorter. If you pick the cabin wisely, they will have less walking to do. The main show lounge is all the way forward and the dining room is all the way aft. There are only two elevator shafts. I would suggest a cabin near the rear elevator shaft.

First time cruisers and we are going to book the 12/19/10 sailing today. I read somewhere that the only dining option left is late dining - is that so bad? Will we miss shows? What about Portofino's & Chops - already booked up? Are all the popular/good excursions already booked? Please help so we know before we book :confused: Thank you!

Edited by debruss

First time cruisers and we are going to book the 12/19/10 sailing today. I read somewhere that the only dining option left is late dining - is that so bad? Will we miss shows? What about Portofino's & Chops - already booked up? Are all the popular/good excursions already booked? Please help so we know before we book :confused: Thank you!

We just booked out first cruise for this November. Once you are booked you will have access to your RC personalized website. You then can book the speciality restaurants, excursions... Initially we were only able to get late dining... we did not like it because we just don't like to eat so late with our kids .. we told our TA and he was able to change it to early dining (how???). Others had told me just to keep checking with either your TA or RC.

Anyway, I was told that there are shows before the late dining and then shows after the early dining..to accommodate everyone. We only just received access to the RC excursions (for our cruise in November)...so, you may not even be able yet to book yours. Just make sure to check your website for updates. I booked one tour with RC just to be on the safe side... we are also first timers... But many cruisers book with locals and have been very happy. And 2 days ago.. I was able to book one of the Speciality Restaurants without a problem (we are going over Thanksgiving and it looks like the ship is almost completely full).

Good luck!

Too late, I already read it. :eek:
:D:D:D

I can't speak for Freedom, but in general. If you are prone to motion sickness (even with patch, with bad seas, it can happen), the more centered in the ship, the better. Needless to say, we opt for D1 over E1.

Erika

I do get sea sick...but with both cabins I would pick around the hump area...which is pretty much mid ship. E's on deck 8 and

d's on deck 9...so that seems pretty close.

Really wondering if anyone "misses" that extra space...looking to save some money and this is a way...:cool:

How would 4 people (3 adults, two of which are 6'+, & 17 yr old girl) be in a D1 room (balcony 214 sq feet)? Room 7672 with sofabed. We won't be in room much, but I don't want to be miserably squished. It's either that or 2 oceanview rooms on deck 2. I really want a balcony though. Thoughts please and thank you!

We have never cruised before and are going on the Freedom of the Seas 12/19/10 sailing! Flying into Orlando from So CA. We are flying in the day before and flying out the day after - no stress wanted! Is it better to stay in a hotel by the port vs. the airport when we get there - and then by the airport after departing? Makes sense to me, but wanted to get input from all you seasoned cruisers!

Saw postings about a Coco Beach shuttle (think that was the name) - does that pick you up from the airport & take you to Port Canaveral? Thank you for any input.

We have cruised twice from Port Canaveral and used Cocoa Beach shuttle both times. they will indeed collect you at the airport and drop you at your hotel. you can also use them to bring you to the ship if your hotel doesnt have a shuttle service.

Make sure to mention Cruise Critic and get a 10% discount off their prices.

We have never cruised before and are going on the Freedom of the Seas 12/19/10 sailing! Flying into Orlando from So CA. We are flying in the day before and flying out the day after - no stress wanted! Is it better to stay in a hotel by the port vs. the airport when we get there - and then by the airport after departing? Makes sense to me, but wanted to get input from all you seasoned cruisers!

Saw postings about a Coco Beach shuttle (think that was the name) - does that pick you up from the airport & take you to Port Canaveral? Thank you for any input.

I can personally recommend Radisson at the Port. They are less than a 5 minute drive from the hotel to the pier and offer a free shuttle service to and from the pier. You don't have to book the 'extra' cruise package to get this. I would do this definitely the day you fly in. As far as the day you get back, depends if you want to be by the beach that day or by the airport and what time your flight is out of Orlando.

Have a great time!

Erika

We will be sailing on Freedom on May 1, 2011. I am soooo excited!!! We have only sailed on Voyager class ships.

I am on the same cruise...nice to meet you...have you been over to the roll call? I was wondering about transportation as well. We are flying in the day before and probably the day after...we might be staying at the Mariott near the hotel since we don't get in until 2 or 3 Saturday afternoon....

Angela

Really? I thought Freedom class was larger?:confused:

I am new to RCCL, so still learning.

Yes, the ship is larger, that is how they fit the H2O Zone into it. However, the layout and location of everything is the same. There is just more of it.

Haven't been to roll call yet but will go! Coming with DH, both DS's and their girlfriends (all in 20's). Hoping to get a few friends to come also. We will fly in that morning since we are only 2 1/2 hours away. On our first cruise, we flew in the day before because we were afraid we would miss the ship!!!:)

Thank you for the input, thought it looked like a great location! 1st cruise, and we were in oceanview room on 2nd deck. Just upgraded to 7294! What sailing are you on? We are on 12/19/10 Freedom of Seas. Cannot wait!

We are a family of 4 (two adults & two teenagers). Does anyone have any tips on how you stay in contact with family members or others you are traveling with while on the ship? Teens prefer texting but we have Verizon and looks like the rates are out of sight in Caribbean.

Are there 'theme' nights for teens on the FOS (so they can bring specific clothes, etc.)? Thanks! We leave Sunday, August 1!

I read somewhere on this board they have ship phones (like cell phones) you can rent on board for $25 per phone. Thinking about doing that too - at least for our 17 yr old daughter & us, just in case she wants to not hang with Mom & Dad sometimes. Would just be nice to be able to get in touch whenever we want. Our son will turn 21 on the ship, but don't think we'll get one for him.

I read somewhere on this board they have ship phones (like cell phones) you can rent on board for $25 per phone. Thinking about doing that too - at least for our 17 yr old daughter & us, just in case she wants to not hang with Mom & Dad sometimes. Would just be nice to be able to get in touch whenever we want. Our son will turn 21 on the ship, but don't think we'll get one for him.

That would be great! I thought I read somewhere that you could rent

walkie talkies but seems like those would be cumbersome and easy to

lose. A cell phone (with 'texting') would be ideal. Our teens are 14 and 17.

I am on the same cruise...nice to meet you...have you been over to the roll call? I was wondering about transportation as well. We are flying in the day before and probably the day after...we might be staying at the Mariott near the hotel since we don't get in until 2 or 3 Saturday afternoon....

Angela

It is much less to rent a car then drop it back off at the Port :) There are several car companies that allow this.

Can anyone tell me anything about this room. I know it's a balcony, but want to know if anyone knows anything about it, good or bad.

We just got off the freedom, and we had balcony room 7294 (and promenade room 7295 for our boys). The room was great! Perfect mid-ship location, clean, quiet. Our cabin attendant was terrific (Lee) as well. Enjoy your cruise!!

That would be great! I thought I read somewhere that you could rent

walkie talkies but seems like those would be cumbersome and easy to

lose. A cell phone (with 'texting') would be ideal. Our teens are 14 and 17.

We actually purchased walkies for our last cruise, they're small and have belt clips so they're super easy to keep track of. It was nice for us to be able to keep track of each other if one went exploring (or for a snack run, I called in my order a couple times ;))

We'll definitely be bringing them on the Freedom in Sept!

~Lisa :p

Just back from the sailing on Freedom.

Awesome, awesome, awesome.

We were assigned table 318 in the dining room, and one night when we were at a cocktail hour with the captain, and our table mates started talking to the captain in Greek, he was so excieted and asked what he could do for us. We asked "Hey any chance we could sit at the captains table for supper." Wish was granted.

Also we asked and received a tour of the bridge!!

Teen activities were great for our 15 year old daughter, and we had no trouble with her checking in at assigned times.

Alan Brooks the cruise director is on vacation, left the ship with us-- he was very entertaining.

Later

Sue

Edited by Lionesss