Kid bashing

Kineticoh20

I refuse to turn this into an argument. If you haven't cruised with out of control children then good for you, but please don't discount the stories of those that have.

Whats worst then an out of control child?

Out of control adults!

Very nice story... thanks for sharing it with us. Give my best to your thoughtful son.

Brian

I would be happy to start one on the group of "Air America" people we cruised with in February but .. life is short ..

Once on a cruise with my grown children (In their 30s but I must say they behaved quite well onboard) there was a table of 6 young ladies (lets assume 10-11yrs old) and their parents were at another table. On the first formal night they were dressed with much attention to both appropriate attire and age appropriateness. Dinner seemed to take forever, but it seemed like they were so much enjoying being together and all that was going on around them that the beautiful behaviour never waivered. At the end of the meal, my Son who looks like a pro athelete size wise .. went over to the table and complimented them on their lovely gowns and wonderful behaviour and bought the girls a round of sodas. He was their Knight in shining armour .. you should have seen those beaming faces. The next day .. the two of the fathers found him at one of the bars and insisted on buying him a drink for what he had done for the girls ..they apparently couldn't stop talking about it and he was quite the crush.

I remember thinking what a nice thing to do .. and it had it's own rewards .. not the drink.. but the feeling of well-being.

Too bad we can't all be that way and reward the exemplary or ever just good behaviour instead of just discussing the bad.

Whats worst then an out of control child?

Out of control adults!

Completely agree. There's no excuse for out of control adults, same as there's no excuse for letting your child scream, yell, have a public hissy fit, or destroy property. Usually comes down to the adult.

Everybody can get out of control at times, regardless of his or her age. I have seen wasted adults, children throwing food, and what not. When I went on my first cruise, some ‘grumpy seniors’ yelled at my sister and me for sitting in front of them at a show. Okay, granted, the theater was packed and there were no seats left, so everybody who wanted to see the show, had to stand. However, there was this small area where a few people could sit and watch the show in the same view as everybody else. As I sat down and made myself comfortable, I can hear the group a few feet behind me start to freak out. I could hear one man curse out a few words, due to him ‘not being able to see the show’, he spat at us and told us to move, and as we proceeded to move, he just would not get over it and continued to go on about what just happened! They could all see the show clearly, so I did not see a reason for them to start acting up in the manor that they did.

Oh well! I guess you will encounter different cases of disorderly conduct or rudeness from any age. You just got to deal with it, and not let it bring your vacation mood down.

From a teenager’s perspective, I can tell you that I consider myself to be well behaved. I am mostly with my parents throughout the cruise, and I have never been to any of the places on the ship that are targeted for people my age. Even when I’m on my own, and spending time for myself, I can most definitely say that I do not get into anyone’s way. I believe that when you are in an enclosed area, and especially with a lot of people, you should always keep the golden rule in mind…” treat other’s the way you would like to be treated”. :)

One of the most intelligent and well written posts in this thread.

HL.... a very intersting post regarding your son and the response he recieved rom the family.

Cruise junky..explain how it is a parents fault that a child for some reason screams!! my sons 14 month old little girl screams ..after all thats what they do!..:rolleyes:

going back to the OP and his comment and the one he recieved, the person making the comment if kids are a problem to him should maybe look elsewhere for a non kid cruise!!

kids who may be disruptive and can be excused, adults on the other hand are adults and no excuse is tolerated.
I agree in some cases that kids can be excused, but the parents of those kids still have responsibility. Whether it's adults behaving badly, or adults permitting their children to behave badly through either ignorance or apathy, neither is tolerable.

Cruise junky..explain how it is a parents fault that a child for some reason screams!! my sons 14 month old little girl screams ..after all thats what they do!..:rolleyes:

As a parent it's your fault if your child is screaming out of control in the dining room or other public places and you don't remove the child from that place. And maybe you can learn to ask a question without the sarcastic rolling of eyes next time? It makes conversations a lot more pleasant.

I was just thinking of when I went to our local Walmart last week and noticed that the arcade games that were just outside the entrance had been removed. The greeter (about 70ish' date=' I guess) indicated she was glad as she doesn't understand why parents bring their kids in to the store, or along other places anyway. She felt they should just stay home (I guess she was talking about when they are at school). [/quote']

She is from the era when you could leave your kids at home alone or send them to the store alone and you could leave the doors of you house unlocked while you went on vacation.

Another observation can be made about people who downright hate kids on cruise ships is that it may not be that the forgot that they were kids once but that they remember that they would have NEVER been able to go on a cruise when they were kids!

Kid bashing.... wishing for an adults only cruise isn't kid bashing.

I have the perfect idea...have tandem cruiseships connected by a bridge of some sort. Kids stay on one ship and adults stay on the other. The adults can go to the kid side to check on their children from time to time and they have walkie-talkies too!

Hmmm...too bad I am not an engineer..... :D

I have the perfect idea...have tandem cruiseships connected by a bridge of some sort. Kids stay on one ship and adults stay on the other. The adults can go to the kid side to check on their children from time to time and they have walkie-talkies too!

Hmmm...too bad I am not an engineer..... :D

This thread reminds me a bit of the old whine that kids get into now and then.

"There's a mothers day and a fathers day" they'll say "Why isn't there a "kids" day?"

Why? Because EVERY DAY is kids day! :D

So since every cruise is a kids welcomed cruise, how about a couple set aside as Mothers and fathers (and other adults) only welcomed cruise.

HL.... a very intersting post regarding your son and the response he recieved rom the family.

going back to the OP and his comment and the one he recieved, the person making the comment if kids are a problem to him should maybe look elsewhere for a non kid cruise!!

Just wondering Sidari....

...if screaming (and I guess, implicitly, just being out of control) is (one of) "that's what (the little kids) do"...I suppose that everyone else is just supposed to grin and bear it as a fact of life?

Sure, I won't argue that the small tykes can't be responsible, but does that also exonerate anyone from, at the very least, some kind of dignified social responsibility?

:confused:

Well in defense of the OP you rarely see threads stereotyping other groups the way children are stereotyped in many threads.

I have yet to see a thread about "packs of newlyweds" or "roving bands of elderly" or worse yet "badly behaved, obnoxious doctors". I know it seems ridiculous when it's approached this way, but think how we parents feel when we see kids categorized and painted with a broad brush just because of a few bad apples. It's frustrating and I totally get what the OP is trying to point out. It is really unfair to stereotype ANY group, including children.

Actually I have seen several threads about rude senior citizens. I don't know if the search function is working again yet, but when it is, look it up and you'll find them too.

I find that both the threads/attitudes about children and senior citizens being rude as a whole group are prejudiced and unfair. You will find rude and well mannered people in all age groups, with the exception of babies who have not learned to be rude or well mannered yet.

It is the parent's responsibility to teach the child that screaming is not appropriate behavior. I have 3 kids and 4 grandkids and NONE of them screamed. It is not what normal unspoiled children do. They scream to get their own way and it's lazy parents who give into this type of behavior.

We stopped cruising when we had the kids, we did other kinds of vacations. It didn't seem like fun to drag 1-5 yr olds on planes and on ships not for me or other passengers. When they became 5-10 we started taking them and we all have had a ball. They love the kids centers and love getting dressed up for formal nights. Not once have they ever ebarrassed me on a cruise.

If I didn't have kids and didn't want to be around them I sure would not complain about it I would just take my vacation dollars elsewhere like Celebrity. I for one like seeing kids and families playing together. If I were on vacation with only seniors I would probably kill myself so I understand why some dislike the children so much. Again Im on vacation to have fun and Im not that young 48, I want to see people having a fun time not a quiet, solitary environment.

that a kid screaming would get us that upset? I just smile and enjoy the moment. There is entertainment in watching different parents trying to deal with the situation in different ways. As long as they aren't harming the child, sit back and enjoy the show. It won't last long and then you can go back to your dinner. The child won't be upset in 5 minutes. Why would you be so upset that you would hold onto it all the way to this forum? :)

I am a father of two, a 10 yr old girl and a 14 yr old boy. We have been cruising with our children for the last 6 yrs. I have noticed alot of kid bashing not only on this forum but on the ships themselves. Now we have taught our children how to act in public and on every cruise we have taken,we have had fellow passengers comment on how well behaved our kids are. However, people that think they are above, better, more deserving or thinking that children should be seen and not heard is rediculous. On the Diamond in March while in the elevator with my daughter a older man was going on about the children, he said out loud that he will rebook a cruise when there are no children on board. As I left the elevator I told him I would rebook when there were no old people on board and he seemed offended.

The fact is on my most recent Diamond 15 day there were only 163 kids and you rarely felt they were on board. Sure there were times at the pool you could hear them playing. However I feel the older folks as a group are far more troublesome, I don;t mean to offend anyone but the fact is more of the older croud were rude to servers, complaining and in general thought they should be waited on hand and foot. Last year durring Easter while on the Diamond there were a record 900 kids on board and too be quite honest was a far better atmosphere on ship. The bottom line is my kids pay the same fare, gratuities and other amenities as anyone else and deserve a little respect!

just because you heard an elderly man make a slide comment is reason for you to make one back. Yes, there are those who prefer to cruise with no kids, in some cases I understand, but basically I think most adults have no problem with well behaved kids cruising. Maybe you are being a little to judgemental or defensive. I am an "old folk" as you put it and I too would be offended.

BTW, I enjoy kids on ships, mostly they are having fun. I don't enjoy oldsters who Bit#$ all the time anymore than anyone else enjoys them.

Nita

Quote" from a previous post...........If I didn't have kids and didn't want to be around them I sure would not complain about it I would just take my vacation dollars elsewhere like Celebrity. I for one like seeing kids and families playing together. If I were on vacation with only seniors I would probably kill myself so I understand why some dislike the children so much. Again Im on vacation to have fun and Im not that young 48, I want to see people having a fun time not a quiet, solitary environment." end quote

I have been reading this thread with GREAT amusement until I read this self serving, self centered response..........in retort I would say that the poster take their kids with them to a venue such as Disney.........each of us cruise for different reasons, some to have a fun family vacation, some to enjoy the solitude that a cruise can provide.....they are not mutally exclusive....if those that want solitude can become more tolerant of the atmosphere on todays mass market cruises.....and those with kids understand that their little darlings may grate on others nerves with their behavior......them we all win. It is no different than going to the beach, to Disney, to any vacation destination. There is a middle ground where we all coexist and have fun.....oh, well back to lurking and giggling at the "banter" between the groups thjat will never reach agreement and stirve to justify why their postition is the only rational solution.

Okay, lets talk about screaming kids. When it comes to little kids, it seems to me like there is different types of screaming. One is what some are referring to which is a child who is screaming to get his/her own way. We've all seen this in public places, all parents have had a child who tried this (if only once), and, unfortunately sometimes this behavior is reinforced and lasts right up until the time that the screaming kid becomes the screaming adult at the purser's desk.;) Many people who see a screaming child automatically assume that this is the type of screaming child they are seeing and term the child a brat. Another type of screaming kid is a child who has been taught proper behavior and generally is well behaved and pleasant to be around. The child is taken out of his/her environment, has a very long and tiring day (or week) and just reaches the braking point at which time they (and everyone around them) experience a total melt down. The third type of screaming child is one who is having a good time and vocalizing their pleasure. Now if you are in agreement with me on this you will also agree that each situation has it's own varying degree of "blame". After all, if you are sypathetic to parents and children, you would tend to feel sorry for the over exhausted toddler, but, no matter how sympathetic you are, you would probably be irritated with the manipulative screamer. All this to say that no matter what the cause of the screaming child and how much of it is because they and/or their parents are "bad" it is the parents responsibility to keep their child's screaming from infringing on other people... sooo... the responsible thing to do is to remove the child from the situation until the screaming has been dealt with and the child is ready to be "pleasant" company once more. Whether that means taking the overwrought child for a walk or a nap or taking the manipulative screamer for a time-out the result is still the same... the child's behavior is no longer being inflicted on others. As for the child who is screaming in pleasure, it is still the parent's responsiblity to make sure the screaming is quieted if the child is in an inappropriate environment for such behavior. (whether the nonadults-only pool is an appropriate place for noise I'll leave for others to argue;) ).

So parents step up to the plate and take responsibility and the rest should fall into place. Child bashers, all I can say is when you are in the presence of children please make sure that you are setting a good example of manners and kindness.

They scream to get their own way and it's lazy parents who give into this type of behavior. I have 3 kids and 4 grandkids and NONE of them screamed.

so you were with them every hour of every day?

I would like to see you to stand in front of my son and tell him he is a lazy parent!

We2cruze... agree with your post.

so you were with them every hour of every day? I raised them to behave in an acceptable manner at all times.

I would like to see you to stand in front of my son and tell him he is a lazy parent! If he does not teach the child appropriate behavior or does not remove the screaming child as to not disturb others, then yes, he is lazy!

We2cruze... agree with your post.If you agree with We2cruze, then you also agree with me!! It is the parent's responsibility to teach the child appropriate behavior. We essentially said the same thing except he/she did it much better than I.

I do not find screaming children cute or adorable no matter what their parents/grandparents think.

I do not find screaming children cute or adorable no matter what their parents/grandparents think.

I am in total agreement!!! Sorry but I don't even want to see a kid thinking about screaming!!!!! If so get it out of our hearing range. I am talking screaming as in a tired temper tantrum sort of way. A child crying (for a few minutes) softly because they fell so be it, anything else, especially in a room with other people like a dining room. Get the screaming child out!!

We have raised three children and took them out at early ages to proper restaurants (we went at early times like 6ish and would eat quicker then we would if we were on a date ;), we taught them to behave and if they started to mis-behave my eyebrow went up, you don't want to mess with me when the *eyebrow* is up.

I think once or twice my husband or myself had to leave the restaurant with our youngest son who is severly ADHD and let him run off steam in a hallway. He would come back and we finished dinner all good and other tables around us got to enjoy their meals without having to listern to my child being loud and disruptive.

Strangers in restaurants would always tell us how lucky we were that our children were so well-behaved and we always smiled, luck had nothing to do with it, we worked hard to ensure our children knew proper manners when out in public :)

Archived