Ever Stuck in Elevator on Cruise Ship?

kimberly1949

Has anyone ever been stuck on an elevator on a cruise ship? I am very claustrophobic and don't care for elevators in general and was just wondering if anybody had ever gotten stuck in an elevator on a cruise ship, and if so, how long did it take to get "unstuck"?:confused:

Haha I HAVE been stuck...

2001 on the Carnival Victory (when she was brand new) -- 2:30am I was heading from Deck 3 to Deck 9 on the glass atrium elevators. I got in, went up a little and it just stopped, a little short of floor 5. There happened to be a cleaning man right outside the elevator vacuuming... I gestured to him that I was stuck and he gestured back to use the phone to call security. I did, they promised to send a mechanic right away. I waited about 10-15 mins and all of a sudden the elevator magically jolted up to Deck 5 and opened, just as the maintenance man arrived. I told him what happened and thanked him for coming so quickly.

Haha that was my experience -- I'm very claustrophobic myself, but I survived. It helped that it was a glass elevator and there was someone right outside of it. I did see a bunch of elevators get stuck on the Carnival Destiny when I was on her, so much so that I didn't take one for the rest of the week. :o

ooohhh those radiance class ships sound nice!! :) we are thinking about a repo cruise on the Jewel for next fall...then we can experience those elevators!! :)

BTW, Sue , congrats on reaching 6 months without a cigarette!! you go girl!! :)

Marsha

ooohhh those radiance class ships sound nice!! :) we are thinking about a repo cruise on the Jewel for next fall...then we can experience those elevators!! :)

BTW, Sue , congrats on reaching 6 months without a cigarette!! you go girl!! :)

Marsha

Radiance class is my favorite and thank you very much. I can't believe it has been 6 months.

Better yet, switch to a Radiance class and then you can ride the glass elevators so you can see out at all times, problem solved no claustrophobia.

Then again if you're going to crash to your death, at least we can all watch...:eek: :p

Four of us were stuck briefly in a Majesty of the Seas elevator shortly after the ship was renovated. I hated that elevator because it was very sqreeky and grindy sounding every time we used it. But we used it once too often and the door wouldn't open. We could make the elevator go up and down but the door wouldn't open so we could leave the eleavtor.

I was trying so hard not to freak out because I am claustrophobic. Hubby called whoever answered the phone and told them four of us were stuck. The person acted incredulous like it was a prank. Anyway, about that time, the elevator door magically opened! It wasn't the floor we wanted, but we all got out. Hubby and I used the stairs.

oh I am so claustrophobic too!! I take the stairs on the ship just in case..lol..and to get exercise. One time in college I was living in a dorm that was in a bldg that had 12 stories, I was staying on the 9th floor. I had to take the elevator or would never make it! Guess what? I got stuck between the 7th and 8th floors! I freaked! I pulled the door open and was between floors! I climbed out as I was nervous. Then of course I had to take the elevator down again, so I took the other one...gosh I hate elevators!!!!!!!!

I got stuck in the elevater of Majesty or Enchantment, don't remeber, it was at least 10-12 years ago.

I was going up to the windjammer to meet my parents, i was about 10-12 years old that time, and the elevator got stuck right before we reached the correct deck.

This was early in the morning so the elevator was really crowded, and there I was 10-12 years, from Norway not that good speaking english, alone with all kinds of weird people, at least thats what i thought then.

I think we were stuck in the elevator for about 20-30 minutes, before a man opened the roof hatch on the elevator saying, this will at least take a couple of hours, sorry folks! 5 seconds later, the doors opened! I ran to my parents which did'nt know where I was, since i was supposed to meet them 30 min earlier.

Never been stuck in an elevator again, but i never took one alone for the next 5 years or so!

Hi all,

We were stuck for about 15 minutes on Splendour a while back, the guys were very good and were in phone contact with us throughout the ordeal!! It was not too bad for me but my friend who hates elevators was almost hyperventilating!! I only just persuaded her to ride with me, my words to her were "these elevators never stick" A very nice man climbed down through the hatch and somehow moved the car down to the next level where we were able to step down to get out. Needless to say my friend uses the stairs now!!

My wife and I were stuck in an elevator once when too many people tried to 'jam' their way in.

After about 5 minutes of the elevator not moving the door finally opened and the group of 6 offenders were strongly encouraged to get out!

Fortunately it was a glass elevator as I too suffer from claustrophobia.

Normally we do not use the elevators unless we are going up more than 4 floors.

Better yet, switch to a Radiance class and then you can ride the glass elevators so you can see out at all times, problem solved no claustrophobia.

All ships have glass elevators in the atrium (at least the ones I've been on), but I'm claustrophobic too and don't do elevators anywhere. We do the stairs all the time on ships and probably one of the reasons we never gain weight!

Celebrity Century 1999. Stuck for about 45 minutes. A newly wed couple that just necked the entire time...kind of sweet but a bit much. A couple, having their 45th anniversary (Robert and Carol are still happy and cruising each year! Very good folks!) that chatted about anything and everything trying to keep a teenaged girl calm, the girls Mom who stood with hands over her ears while her daughter cried (Momma needed some visits with the psych dept to teach her how to be a grown up!before that daughter could be expected to act differently). My friend and I had just left the cabin to go sit in the sun so we had books to read. We all got a SBC for our inconvience. Rather nice actually. Celebrity treats you good even when "bad" things happen.

Has anyone ever been stuck on an elevator on a cruise ship? I am very claustrophobic and don't care for elevators in general and was just wondering if anybody had ever gotten stuck in an elevator on a cruise ship, and if so, how long did it take to get "unstuck"?:confused:

You should never let irrational thoughts prevent you from doing what you want in life. Phobias are quite easy to overcome with a little effort. Ask for a professional's help if you need it. Life is to short to be limited by irrational fears.

While an elevator is not that speciail, some of the most beautiful places on earth are in small, confined areas. It would be a shame if you denied yourself what this world has to offer, in the brief blink of an eye that we are here.

You should never let irrational thoughts prevent you from doing what you want in life. Phobias are quite easy to overcome with a little effort. Ask for a professional's help if you need it. Life is to short to be limited by irrational fears.

While an elevator is not that speciail, some of the most beautiful places on earth are in small, confined areas. It would be a shame if you denied yourself what this world has to offer, in the brief blink of an eye that we are here.

I know that you are probably right, it is an irrational fear that I do need to overcome. I find it is easier said than done for me, but I will take your advice and try to get past this fear!:o

Yes - we have been stuck on elevators a couple of times.

Used the phone -- voice indicated that help was on the way. Within a couple of minutes we heard someone above us manually moving the elevator up to deck level so that the doors could be opened.

One time we stuck for about 5 minutes -- the other time -- about 10 minutes.

98% of the time we take the stairs. On our last cruise our cabin was on Level 10 and the dining hall was on Level 5 - we walked up and down every time.

Don't worry about the elevators. They are all glassed in so if you do get stuck just look out the window and people watch.

I too am claustrophobic but the one or two times I was forced to take the elevator, coming back from the Wind Jammer with two trays of food, I did not feel closed in at all. Those glass elevators really help.

Don't worry about the "what ifs". Concentrate on the fun things you will want to do on your cruise.

We got stuck in one of the lifts on Ocean Village, one of the chef's was in there with us and just opened the control door banged a few buttons and it started to work again, we were only stuck for a few minutes but it was a little scary as it was bouncing up and down before it got stuck!

We do try to us the stairs, the lifts are for when I have really high shoes on and need to travel a good few decks up/down in rough seas.

:)

We were on a carnival ship called Holiday and they didn't have any elevators with the glass to see out, they only had the small enclosed elevators. I did try the elevators two times and both times they "bounced" way too much for me, so I took the stairs, everywhere and was able to eat and not gain a pound for the entire cruise!:)

kimberly -- I feel your pain; I never take a 'vator if I can avoid it. I was going to suggest that stairs are more figure-friendly anyway, but I see you've already got that angle covered.

In my case, glass elevators actually are worse, because my phobia is about fear of heights, not enclosed spaces. I don't like seeing how far off the ground I am. :eek:

We take the elevators up with a reasonable number of people in them. I don't do overcrowding. Walk the stairs going down to burn calories whenever possible. I have been in a office building when an elevator fell 5 floors and I ended up sitting on the floor. Not a fun experience.

Archived