Disappointed In Pg

hockey13

We have been on many cruises in the last 15 yrs, none of them having over 300 cabins, which I love. I was kind of disappointed in the PG. Granted the staf was PEFECT, I wasn't overly impressed with the ship. Beleive me when I say I am NOT a cruise snob, but I felt like the ship was past it's prime.

The food, staff.. was great, but seeing stained rugs, chipped paint in hallways, the smell of mold in elevaters did not impress me. I was cruising with over 80 guests, so the company made or trip. I loved the ports also. But I have to admit ( maybe I am being a snob), the ship did not impress me a bit. I ejoyed my 5 day sat at the Intercintental Huts more!!!!!!

Oh dear! I'm sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy your cruise and that there were issues with the PG looking tired. Expressing those concerns certainly does not make you a cruise snob. The moldy elevator thing would really turn me off and there is no excuse for peeling paint or stained carpets. Sounds to me like things are not being kept up and repaired or cleaned as often as needed and that's a shame as the PG is about as good as you can get for a cruise ship in that area unless of course you elect to go on another ship that is just passing through on one of their longer ocean voyages. I hope you put these observations down on your comment card at the end of the voyage. We too loved our stay at the Intercontinental Over water Bungalows but not better then the PG so this is sad news.

Pat

I agree that's bad news. I'll be on her in just over 7 months. The ship had a refurb a few years back, anybody remember what year?

A few paint chips and a stained carpet won't ruin it for me, but moldy elevators? Not happy to hear that.

How about your stateroom? Was it in good shape? Whatever, I think I can cope, if I adjust my expectations accordingly.

Wendy, the PG went into drydock in January 2006. That's when those aft cabins were added too. So it's not that long ago. I agree that certain things can be overlooked but really when you are traveling so far and paying lots of money for the luxury market......you really shouldn't have to be making the best of it. I hope this is corrected and others will report in that it has.

Pat

Also Wendy, the PG is scheduled for her next dry dock not too long after your cruise. I was looking at the President's cruise in January and noticed a time gap between the end of that cruise when the ship arrives in Brisbane and before she leaves again from Brisbane. The TA told me she was going into drydock then. The dates are Jan 25/09-Feb 05/09 for drydock.

Pat

I have often said the PG is not the standard Regent product and boarding with that expectation will assure a let down. The PG experience is much more about the location than the ship IMO.

While the elevator smell/mold thing is troublesome, it is hard to comment on upkeep on carpets and paint as one does not know if it was omnipresent or in a couple of locations. Those sort of issues would not impress me, but would not put me off my cruise either...especially if the service and food was perceived as so wonderful. (This is being discussed on another thread right now.)

It is also possible, dependent on the large group, that having such a "group" experience changes the perceptions (and forgiveness) of the PG because it was transformed more into a "cruise" rather than a fairly personal experience of French Polynesia.

I don't use elevators on ships (running up and down the stairs is part of my routine to keep extra pounds from creeping on while cruising), but I did notice a moldy smell around the area of the ship where you get on the tenders, and the elevators do open into this area. That is probably where the mold smell is coming from. If it had been in my cabin, I would have been bothered, but in an area that is damp a lot of the time, I wasn't really concerned. I didn't notice it anywhere else on the ship.

I didn't notice a particular odor when on the PG in February, however living in a semi tropical Louisiana that always seems to be mildewed maybe conditions me to accept what may be annoying to others. The ship takes a beating in the halls, elevators and entry ports perhaps because there is a constant stream of passengers traipsing on or off in flip flops wet swim suits etc. plus sand and such. I am surprised that someone found the experience at a shore based resort superior. I really enjoyed our stays at resorts around FP but they never were superior to the service and food on the PG.

I don't really mind that much, although I will be studying reports from returnees as I approach my final payment. But I am a bit concerned about our friend Jim who is accompanying us, since it's his first cruise. I'll have to manage his expectations a little. I'm sure we will still have a fabulous cruise, I'm so looking forward to it.

Actually I stayed at the Intercontinental Tahiti in an over-the-water bungalow and it was pretty darn spectacular.:D The grounds were great (loved the sand-bottomed pool) and it was quite luxurious.

My biggest (only) issue was the price of the food and drinks. Quality was fine, but OMG the prices made your head spin.:eek:

Overall it was a highlight of our 15 day trip (including 10 on the PG), but we had many highlights both off and on the ship.:)

Hello....

We're leaving soon for an early May Paul Gauguin cruise. Friend's who are fairly particular and have sailed PG recently told me it was a quality experience and very laid-back and relaxed. We favor small ship experiences and have been looking forward to this trip.

I hope that we don't find a replay of a past experience with Regent/then Radisson. Several years before the old Diamond was sold, we did a Greek Island/Turkey cruise. Great itinerary; great fun. However, the ship was like a floating barnacle with huge areas of peeling paint and deck hands constantly walking around with white paint to touch up as the paint flaked off...no not kidding. It got to be a joke amongst the passengers...spotting white on each other's clothing. Everything on the ship was well past it's prime and I couldn't figure out how this could be considered a luxury experience. Please tell me it's not as bad as all that???

I agree with the poster who stated that the people make the cruise. We'll have a great time no matter what. I'm not a "princess", but I'd just like a clean cabin with great linens. I can't imagine having a bad time in Tahiti. I'm glad to see the IC get such great reviews; we're staying there both coming and going with a few extra days in Bora Bora thrown in.

Happy Sailing...

murphysmum;)

The future of the PG topic rears its head annually -- usually in terms of whether or not Regent will renew the contract with the current owner of the ship. Their current contract extends until 1/2010 (if I recall correctly). Now, with both Regent and GCT being sold, the future is more fuzzy than normal.

In any event, with approx. 19 months left on the contract, I can't see Regent allowing service, food, etc. to deteriorate. In terms of peeling paint -- on our 2004 sailing, the varnish on the railing (balcony) was peeling a bit. . . but, there were items that needed upgrading on the Voyager prior to drydock.

IMO, those sailing the PG for the first time will have an incredible experience on an amazing ship. Those returning to the PG (or comparing the PG to Regent-owned ships) may find themselves making comparisons that may not be as positive as 4 years ago. Perhaps those currently on the ship (or that will be in the near future) could post some photo's -- that could help!

I was on the PG about 16 mo. ago, and I don't recall seeing (or smelling) a single problem...but then a lot can happen in that amount of time. I will say that I can't imagine the ship has deteriorated to the point where it would significantly negatively impact the overall PG cruise experience.

For me, the charm of the PG is the crew, the magical location, the Gauguines, the scuba diving (best dive op I've ever worked with), the fun-loving passenger demographics, and the overall Polynesian ambiance. While I certainly wouldn't enjoy seeing major ship deterioration (and, as a Regent product, I would be disappointed if I did), my feeling is that if even if there is some, it won't ruin your cruise. However, I would definitely report it on your comment card!

While we were on the Mariner in December from Auckland to LA we met our sister ship the PG and were invited to tour her. I found that the PG (at least the areas I saw),looked fine. However, didn't see a stateroom , just public areas.

That being said the musty,moldy aroma was prevailent while indoors. I put it down to the fact that the ship never left the hot humid waters of the South Pacific and was something one had to endure.

As to painting and touch ups that goes on 365 days a year ,,salt water corrosion is terribly hard on ships. Heck even parts of our balcony were rusty and the chair cushions were so dirty and torn we used a towel to sit on them.Hope they will be replaced in 2008 when it goes in for check up.

At first I thought, Gee aren't some of the comment harsh about the PG. And then I thought, actually it is very hard to compare the PG to say the Mariner. Just about everything on the Mariner is higher quality and newer, including (most probably) the air conditioning system.

Also, the PG is a more "open" ship - like the gangway is almost always open - and that directly affect the elevators, which constantly carry those with wet bathing suits and gear, so reducing humidity is a much bigger chore.

BUT, given a choice for a cruise in French Polynesia I would choose the PG in almost every respect (save the suites which have to go to Mariner!). The PG lends itself to a more informal, personal, experience and keeps the number of guests to a manageable number for the small islands visited.

To be sure maintaining a ship on a short-term charter is different than one that you own, so perfection in maintenance is probably not top priority, but a few warts - at least to me - fits in perfectly with FP, which is beautiful, but imperfect when the time is taken to look below the surface. (And I don't think there are many that don't look past those imperfections.)

As I said upon my return from my PG cruise, it was one of the best I have ever been on, but it is not the luxury product Regent provides on its other three ships. If you go expecting that you will be disappointed. If you go expecting a nice ship with good service and incredible "ports" you will have the time of your life.

I agree with SnowBirdCruiser. We were on the same cruise in December

and went over to the Paul Gauguin for a visit. We were able to visit a cabin as some nice people overheard us comment how we wish we could see one.

Everything looked excellent to us. I agree that in some of the interior areas you had a musty smell but also realized it was from the Paul Gauguin never leaving tropical waters with high heat and humidity.

Having just returned on Sunday I can reassure everyone she is not falling apart. She is in good shape!! The crew, the service, the food, the accomodations and lets not forget the most important reason we all go, the "destination" was all wonderful. My DH and I have travelled lots in our 15 yrs together and we both agree that this trip was the best of them all. I really don't know how we are going to top this one? Perhaps going again would do it :D

Etmanch, going again would definitely might be the ticket, we've done the PG 3 times, 28 days total. But after our second 7-day Societies trip, we did branch out and tried Diamond. Then after our 3rd trip, we did a wonderful 10-day Voyager trip and love that ship. Since have been on Navigator and Voyager again. Both these ships exceed the PG in amenities and often in dining, but they can't match the PG for intimacy, including service, and immersion in its destination. Of course, you'll get lots of arguments about this statement--I'm not impugning the service on Voyager or Navigator, it's just not as personal and intimate as the PG.

• 2 weeks later...

Over the past few years, I have noticed that fares for the PG have not been rising as sharply as those for the three other Regent ships, making it a better comparative bargain. I noticed the same thing in the waning days of the Diamond -- when "too cheap to stay home" specials were offered on it. What I'm saying is possibly Regent recognizes that the PG is getting some age on her, and is factoring that fact into the pricing -- as they did on the Diamond.

That being said, our last cruise on the PG was 2 1/2 years ago, shortly before the dry dock where the new aft suites were added. She was in admirable condition overall at that time. And I suspect that any deficiencies of the PG compared to , say, the Mariner, are adequately compensated by lower fares on the PG.

Archived