Which Ship Infinity or Mercury

Hi,

We're looking to book a 14 day Panama Canal cruise in 2009, this will be our first cruise with Celebrity but would like some feedback on the two ships.

Is larger and newer better, we love the dressing up element, fine dining, and good company.

Both are dress up and fine dining, but Mercury is smaller and more intimate. Larger is not necessarily better. However, even on Infinity (a larger ship) you don't feel the size or the increase passenger number. I would base my decision on price and cabin selection.

Have a wonderful time!

Joy

You'll find many here who prefer the larger and newer ships over the smaller ones. I like them equally for different reasons. I'd agree with Joy. Price, cabin selection and itinerary would be my main considerations and I don't think you can go wrong on either ship.

Phil

Have been on both recently on Infinity thru the Canal. There is no downside to either. ON Mercury 2 years ago on the Mexican Riviera we noticed that it did not have a specialty restaurant. But otherwise both great ships. Go for cabin selection and price. Enjoy either Can't go wrong.

I also enjoy both ships but for me the best way to see the canal is from an aft cabin on Infinity. If you can get one of these I would definitely choose Infinity for this particular cruise.

Don't know if it's important to you or not, but on Infinity, the indoor Thalossotherapy pool is available for all adults, regardless of cabin category, with its Aqua Spa Cafe, too.

I've asked the question elsewhere and haven't received an answer yet, but on Mercury, there is a charge unless you are in a suite (or it used to be free also if you were Elite Captain's Club). If anyone knows the fee, please post it here. Thanks

I've asked the question elsewhere and haven't received an answer yet, but on Mercury, there is a charge unless you are in a suite (or it used to be free also if you were Elite Captain's Club). If anyone knows the fee, please post it here. Thanks

It's around $20 /day (but on our cruise in 2005 it was $10).

I've not sailed om M class yet, but heard that T-pools are much better on C-class ships.. we loved it on Century(now gone) and Mercury.

We've sailed on both. Loved Both! Agree it can be decided by cabin, BUT we did like Infinity class Thermo Pool. It's warm saltwater with stainless steel pipes to lay on with bubbles coming up through them. It was our favorite spot on the ship. We loved the Cova Cafe on both ships.

You can't miss on either one, but we lean towards the Inifinity Class just because of the indoor Thermo Pool. Been on Mercury 3 times, Inifinity Class twice.

Denny

It's strange that you asked about these two ships ... our two X cruises have been aboard Infinity and Mercury, within the last 18 months.

If, by chance, you are booking a Concierge Class cabin you should be aware that there is a difference: The Infinity CC cabins are 20 s.f. larger and, although it doesn't sound like much, it does make a big difference. The 20 s.f. is all in the seating area which makes it significanly more liveable. The vanity counter is a few feet longer (as is the sofa) and has more electrical outlets. Further, the Infinity has a sliding door to the balcony instead of a hinged one ... a lot easier going in/out.

If this is a consideration for you, my suggestion is that, if on the Mercury, a regular veranda stateroom may be a more cost-effective alternative. The other so-called perks are probably not worth the difference in cost. It's all about "real estate".

just back from Mercury - wow what a great ship with an AMAZING crew. Food was great and the T Pool brilliant (fortnight couples pass was $140 or iot was $20 EACH per day)! get the pass - it is worth it. If you do say "HELLO" to Shirley the wonderful changing room steward - she is lovely. But remember take an OLD swimming costume - it really DOES wreck them!

I personally vote for Infinity over Mercury. My reasons:

1. Infinity just feels less crowded than Mercury. I think the main reason is that Infinity has a higher space ratio. Also, when I was sailing on Mercury recently, I felt too much of the ship has been allocated for "revenue generating" purposes. I prefer ships with some quiet and empty spaces.

2. The speciality restaurant on Infinity is amazing in terms of both food and service.

3. The traffic flow to and through the dining room is poorly designed on Mercury. The placement of the tiny "martini bar" just at the entrance to dining room was a bad idea.

4. Traffic flow in general, is rather poorly designed on Mercury, especially when the ship is full. The atrium in the plaza deck becomes a zoo when gangway is located on that level. The flow from the dining room to the theater becomes way too congested, especially through the narrow hallway by the photographs.

5. The Martini Bar on M class ships are much better in terms of space and setup.

just back from Mercury - wow what a great ship with an AMAZING crew. Food was great and the T Pool brilliant (fortnight couples pass was $140 or iot was $20 EACH per day)! get the pass - it is worth it. If you do say "HELLO" to Shirley the wonderful changing room steward - she is lovely. But remember take an OLD swimming costume - it really DOES wreck them!

Hi GillCC,

Curious as to how the T-Pool ruins the swimming costume? We plan on using the T-Pool at least once a day and will be on the ship for 15 nights!

Thank you,

Lin

Hi GillCC,

Curious as to how the T-Pool ruins the swimming costume? We plan on using the T-Pool at least once a day and will be on the ship for 15 nights!

Thank you,

Lin

Because of the water temp is high, the chlorine has to be stronger. Also the seats in the hot tubs on the constellation snagged and ruined the bottoms of one of my swim suits..:(

Archived