Travel Insurance Claim Paid

Our trip was delayed on our cruise over Spring Break due to an 1 1/2 hour plane delay that would cause us to miss our connection. There were no other flights available to Florida from our home city due to it being the day before Good Friday. Southwest Air managed to get us a flight out of a city 3 hours away the folloiwng morning. Fortunately, we were attempting to go to Florida the day before our cruise. We were unable to use our Hotel in Florida and had to rent a car one-way to the other airport for our flight out early the next morning.

CSA travel Insurance paid for our un-used room in Florida and the rental car. We had to provide quite a bit of documentation and it took a couple of months to receive the check. We were happy the outcome.

Our trip was delayed on our cruise over Spring Break due to an 1 1/2 hour plane delay that would cause us to miss our connection. There were no other flights available to Florida from our home city due to it being the day before Good Friday. Southwest Air managed to get us a flight out of a city 3 hours away the folloiwng morning. Fortunately, we were attempting to go to Florida the day before our cruise. We were unable to use our Hotel in Florida and had to rent a car one-way to the other airport for our flight out early the next morning.

CSA travel Insurance paid for our un-used room in Florida and the rental car. We had to provide quite a bit of documentation and it took a couple of months to receive the check. We were happy the outcome.

Thanks for posting your positive experience. :)

I'm a big advocate of travel insurance so thanks for sharing your positive experience showing that it is a good idea to get traveler's insurance.

For all of those out there who can't decide on whether or not that extra $100 - $125 is worth it, well here's proof it is worth it. And don't let the idea of a little extra paper work scare you because around here (local school board) we call extra paper work "showing accountability". It is a way of keeping the liars and cheaters at bay.

Access America is another good cruise insurance.

The day my husband and I were supposed to fly to Florida for our January cruise this year was the day of my father's funeral. Unexpected, but very glad we had trip insurance. We were on the phone with them several times before we went, finding out what they would cover, what we had to do, etc. and when we got back we filed a claim for $312 (for the deviation fee for our flight and the higher charge for the flight as we left a day later) and a couple of weeks later we received a check for $312.

I will use them for our next cruise as well. They were very sweet on the phone, and so helpful, and quick to pay our claim.

How about a link? Please...........................

As someone said, a great example of the need for cruise insurance. Although we have never had the need to use ours and hope that we don't need it, we never cruise without it. Children, grandchildren, illness,weather and other factors can change things at the last minute.:(

In January, because I had to have a pacemaker implanted, we had to cancel a B2B on the Voyager of the Seas. We never travel without insurance. I called Travel Guard Insurance when we returned home and was told what documents to start gathering. I was given a claim number and treated very courteously. I had to get several documents to send, and my ORIGINAL paperwork from the ship. The only thing I had to have done was to get my doctor to fill out a form which the ins. co. either e-mailed or mailed. At any rate, within a month or less, I had a check for

$2200, which was a very good return on my $300 or so investment. :D DON'T LEAVE HOME WITHOUT TRAVEL INSURANCE!!!

Good ending to the above good example: we got to do

B2B's in April, and all is well. :)

Cruzin Lady

Sorry if this is off topic, but has anyone used RCCL CruiseCare insurance? Would you recommend using an independent travel insurance source? Right now, we have RCCL's insurance, but I'm interested in some opinions. Thanks.

Congrats!!!!

I have a ques...I am thinking of getting travel insurance for our cruise in Jan 09. I have never gotten travel insurance before and do not know where to start. I have bought my airfare (separate from my cruise fare as it was cheaper), is it still possible to get insurance? We are staying in a GS so it would be nice to have the insurance!

Thanks for the help. :)

Sorry if this is off topic, but has anyone used RCCL CruiseCare insurance? Would you recommend using an independent travel insurance source? Right now, we have RCCL's insurance, but I'm interested in some opinions. Thanks.

We have used RCCL insurance with positive results. Our last cruise was to be with our immediate family and in-laws. 2 days before my FIL became ill and was not able to go. Cruisecare reimbursed FIL and MIL 100% of their cost. We found the insurance reps very personable and helpful.

Veryhotred, go to insuremytrip.com and you can compare policies side by side. Very helpful website. We always get independent insurance and it covers the cost of your whole trip, so buying the airfare on your own is no problem. Just get coverage for your total amount....anything that is non-refundable.

Thanks for the positive info on trip insurance!

We are currently looking into trip insurance for our upcoming cruise. I have looked at the many policies on InsureMyTrip.com. I still have a question that I can’t seem to find an answer to when looking at any of the policies:

We have booked all our excursions independently of the ship. If we can't make our excursion for any reason (e.g., weather prohibits the ship entering port or rough seas prohibit tenders to the port) will these policies cover any non-refundable excursion costs?

We are currently looking into trip insurance for our upcoming cruise. I have looked at the many policies on InsureMyTrip.com. I still have a question that I can’t seem to find an answer to when looking at any of the policies:

We have booked all our excursions independently of the ship. If we can't make our excursion for any reason (e.g., weather prohibits the ship entering port or rough seas prohibit tenders to the port) will these policies cover any non-refundable excursion costs?

You should call any insurance company you are considering using and ask. You would need to read the specifics of the policy to see what they cover. Many times policies cover for cancellation due to illness, not because the ship can't make it into port. That is one reason booking excursions through the cruise line isn't a bad idea - if the ship doesn't get into port, you get your money back.

Some excursion companies will provide a refund if the ship doesn't make it into the port, some don't. You should also ask the company you use what their policy is.

I only book excursions with independent operators who either promise to refund if I can't make the excursion, or who don't charge until the day of the excursion. (preferrable, and there are lots of these)

So many times all we hear is that we should get travel insurance, its nice to hear from people who have had to use it. I am sorry that everyone who used the insurance, had to use it. your stories really give a human face to why we should get it.

You should call any insurance company you are considering using and ask. You would need to read the specifics of the policy to see what they cover. Many times policies cover for cancellation due to illness, not because the ship can't make it into port.

I only book excursions with independent operators who either promise to refund if I can't make the excursion, or who don't charge until the day of the excursion.

Both very helpful ideas, thanks!

My TA told me not to buy the insurance thru RCCL - go independent. Besides - I don't like the conflict of interest if I'm making a claim against RCCL for anything - if RCCL is also the insurance company/broker/agent.

We had to file a claim after our 7/05 cruise. We were delayed getting home due to Hurricane Dennis. We had no problem filing a claim for the hotel room & extra meals we incurred, as well as the extra day for the car. The ONLY thing they ddin't cover was the extra day for the kennel for the dog.

I would never cruise without it!

Archived