Hello From Eurodam!

bepsf

How's that for luck...I logged on this morning just in time for your latest installment, Brian!

How does the entertainment compare to the Vista's? I imagine that for an Inaugural, they pull out all the stops.

I hope the service improved last night in the dining room, and by the time tomorrow rolls around and the next leg of this journey begins, things will be humming.

I meant to ask...are you having a M & G with Carolyn Spencer-Brown before she departs in Copenhagen?

Wednesday, July 3 – River Elbe & Hamburg

Up the River

Early in the am, we could feel the ship pulling into the River Elbe for our sail up to Hamburg. Scotty and I had ordered breakfast delivered in and we enjoyed that very much - I eventually dressed and sat outside on the verandah and typed while Dad took pictures. At one point I realized that Mom was inside, so I dragged her out on deck to see the sights of the sail-in.

Similar to our departure from Rotterdam, our cruise up the River Elbe was lined with people and as we neared Hamburg, excursion boats and fireboats spraying jets of water were there to greet us. We went to the end of the channel past the town center into an area that is under massive construction to the new cruise terminal where the Captain had the ship do a little pirouette to face our bow down river while churning up river mud and fish much to the enjoyment of dozens of feasting seabirds - then slid up alongside the pier.

Rather than go ashore immediately, we decided to relax and have lunch aboard ship - Mom and Dad weren’t hungry since they’d had Breakfast, so Scotty and I tried the Lido: The lines were ridiculously long and the tables were completely filled, so we decided to try out luck at the Tamarind where we were greeted with a nice quiet table for two, gracious service by the lovely Indonesian ladies, a delicious fixed menu of Hot & Sour soup, a small salad and a variety of Dim-Sum and Finger-foods followed by tea and a choice of desserts - all for no additional charge! While our dessert was coming, we noticed Greg and Christopher at a table across the room, so we moved over to join them (our waitresses took it all in excellent stride!) to hear of Greg’s annoying experience in the Lido for breakfast whereupon I made a mental note to breakfast in either in my suite or the Main Dining Room for the remainder of the cruise.

Scotty and I went back to get M&D and go ashore for a bit - the sky sprinkled a bit, but by the time we commandeered a beige Mercedes taxi (taxis are all sand-beige in Hamburg) and took the short ride into city-center (a 7 Euro trip - we gave him 10) the skies were dry again although it was quite muggy. We did a bit of shopping, finding a pharmacy and a newspaper stand to get a USA Today International Edition for Mom, then a bit more wandering before hopping into a VW taxi for the short return ride to the pier to rest and get ready for our evening Wurst und Beer excursion.

Don’t Take Your Love to Town...

Our evening excursion was what I thought would be a tour of some sights of Hamburg and various breweries: Although we did enjoy some nice views of the wealthier parts of town, the various cathedrals and the city hall - we only hit one restaurant with it’s own brewery and where we learned where the term “tap a keg” came from - then we descended to Hamburg’s Red Light District to get our Wurst, where “Ladies of Negotiable Affections” were pointed out to us under their umbrellas discussing their fitness regimens with various fellows going by the names of John and Randy...

Needless to say, many of the men on the tour got a hoot out of all the double-entendre throughout the tour - My Mom, not so much.

“Home” Again...

After our return to the ship, Mom and Dad retired to their stateroom and Scotty and I went up to the Crow’s Nest to meet the gang for a drink and to see the sail-away fireworks. We caught an amazing view of them from our seats - they were much prettier than those in Rotterdam.

Afterwards, we all went to the Northern Lights disco - on our way we passed the Sports Bar where we found the baseball from the baseball-mitt chairs and played a quick game of “Medicine Ball” in the passageway. Inside the disco, we sat in a booth on the backless ottomans: They’re very slick white leather and Mary Ellen nearly fell off the end of one, so she sat on one of the concrete-topped end tables. I leaned back into the next ‘cubicle’ and played “I Dream of Jeanie” with the diaphanous fabric, and Greg took photos of the images of those of us who were dancing that were projected on all the polished concrete tabletops in the disco (a very fun effect) Later when I leaned my head back against the wall I quickly learned that the back walls of the seating areas - which appear to be upholstered panels - are simply formed & painted aluminum.

Two by two, our gang retreated to their staterooms, and Scotty and I stayed up to try to stir up some trouble, but to no avail: we were in bed again by 1am.

Sheila--

To answer your question - I'm hoping that we get to see Carolyn in the Ocean Bar this evening before she leaves tomorrow, but we had not scheduled a Meet and Greet w/ her as I believe there are probably too many events for her to take in while she's aboard with her TA and travel-writer gang.

In addition, I have not seen a single forum made available for the regular/paying passengers to meet/chat or otherwise discuss anything with Micky or Stein unless one were to happen upon them in the Neptune or an elevator - I believe they're strictly here for the TA's and Travel Writers.

As far as an improvement in dinner service, we'll find out this evening...

;)

Thank you for continuing to post. Sounds like you had a lot of fun in the Northern Lights.

When you try breakfast in your room, I hope your service is good and the food hot. At least you won't have to stand in line and you know you will have a seat.

Nice report Brian - keep up the good work! Pity about the lack of tables in the showlounge. I'd always liked having somwhere to put the drinks/camera etc.

One other point though as regards breakfast - aren't you able to use the Pinnacle Grill for B'fast since you're in a suite, or is that no longer an option? Would be a tremendous pity if they've discontinued the practice, because DW and I used to enjoy the atmosphere when we weren't being rushed to prepare for a shore excusion...

Have fun!

Tim

Brian so good to hear from you. I'm a bit upset about the showroom theater style seats since I am a bit vertically challanged. Please tell me the Noordam doesn't have the same seating. I hope that Mom and Dad are having a great time.

I am so enjoying reading your wonderful descriptive writing!! I love your style. It allows us to feel as if we are right there with you.

I'm also reading Rev. Neal's "live" and seeing his pictures too just makes this a great way for all of us that can't be there to experience the inaugural of the Eurodam.:)

Thanks, Pam

Brian ~ it's great to be "sailing" with you vicariously!!!! :) Thanks for taking the time to write! I just have to tell you I loved your jacket at the inaugural ceremony!!!! Keep the reports coming and keep on enjoying!

Sheila--

To answer your question - I'm hoping that we get to see Carolyn in the Ocean Bar this evening before she leaves tomorrow, but we had not scheduled a Meet and Greet w/ her as I believe there are probably too many events for her to take in while she's aboard with her TA and travel-writer gang.

In addition, I have not seen a single forum made available for the regular/paying passengers to meet/chat or otherwise discuss anything with Micky or Stein unless one were to happen upon them in the Neptune or an elevator - I believe they're strictly here for the TA's and Travel Writers.

;)

Thanks, Brian. I guess I'm naive but I would think she'd have organized a Meet & Greet for CC so that should could glad hand with those on the Board!

Now that you're into the 10 day portion of the cruise and the TA/Travel Writer rush has subsided, I hope things flow more smoothly on the Eurodam for all of you. And, I hope you were able to sort out the dining room chaos that Greg mentioned on his thread.

For what I understand of Brian's comments the ship's service is a complete disaster..

These comments are comical to read. Especially from those who have not yet been aboard the ship. I have been on board for well over a week and am now aboard the full revenue cruise.

The service has been impeccable and particularly so with the high volume of guests who have been aboard so far.

It's confusing as to how so many can criticize the crew and ship who have not yet been aboard?

The staff on board are well aware of the comments streaming here and have expressed similar sentiments.

These comments are comical to read. Especially from those who have not yet been aboard the ship. I have been on board for well over a week and am now aboard the full revenue cruise.

The service has been impeccable and particularly so with the high volume of guests who have been aboard so far.

It's confusing as to how so many can criticize the crew and ship who have not yet been aboard?

The staff on board are well aware of the comments streaming here and have expressed similar sentiments.

Thank you so much for this posting. After all the negativity it is like a breath of fresh air. I find that when I read through readers' ship reviews in general on these boards, one poster will talk about the absolute worst cruise they have ever been on and another will rave about the best cruise. On checking the dates, I find that they both took the same cruise so I wouldn't be too quick to condemn the Eurodam on the basis of one or two reports. In fact, I can't wait until my cruise on her next summer!!

Brian,

Thanks for posting such wonderful stories. I am so enjoying reading them and they do bring the ship to life in my mind. Enjoy your wonderful cruise and I hope your parents are having a great time too.

Jennie

Shipcafe, have you eaten in the Lido for breakfast yet? Have you had assigned sitting for the whole week for dinner? I don't want to hijack RevNeal's thread. Perhaps you could start your own thread. Tell us where your cabin is, how many days you have at sea with HAL. We'd like to hear your perspective, also.

I wish you would start you own thread and report from the Eurodam. Think maybe you could give some better insight.

Dan

I wish you would start you own thread and report from the Eurodam. Think maybe you could give some better insight.

Dan

Yes. please. shipcafe------start your own thread. It would be great if you would!!!!! Tell us what is good about the Eurodam!!!!!

Hi, Brian. I went to the Ocean Bar Friday night but didn't see you -- did I get the time wrong (7 p.m. -- admittedly probably didn't get there before 7:10 p.m.?) Was extremely bummed not to meet everybody (next time let's definitely do a meet and great) and thought that I'd wander up to the Crow's Nest after dinner -- but stopped in to my cabin to pack and fell sound asleep. Alas.

I did meet a lovely couple there, also members of Cruise Critic, so we had a good chat. But...still disappointed.

Anyway, it was fun to meet you and I hope y'all have a great time --I'll be living vicariously through your thread!

Carolyn

Sheila--

;)

I think some of the readers may have taken snippets and run with them... The ship sounds fantastic apart from the space issues and the "changes" with the cabanas... I am totally envious of all you enjoying it now... Cant wait to try it for ourselves... :D :D :D

I think people are basically reacting to what is being written by Brian (and Greg and John) and they are actually are on this cruise. We don't make this stuff up!:)

And much of the negative stuff was before they even boarded the Eurodam.

I got the feeling on both this thread and Greg's that most everyone is giving Eurodam the benefit of the doubt about any glitches knowing that the kinks would be worked out as time goes on (except maybe for those cabanas which still sound dumb to me but that has nothing to do with service).

Of course there's always a few who just jump on the negative, but for the most part everyone here loves HAL and wants the Eurodam to be extra special.

Ready for another Brian report!:)

Archived