When Using WiFi Onboard... can you do this...

ManhattanCruiser

If I were being charged for my home wireless I'd have the ability to click on the "post a new thread" button on Cruise Critic, then wait for the text box to open (where I would be typing my post) THEN I could disconnect while I'm typing my post...then sign back on to click "submit new thread" button.

Is there some screwy thing that prevents this from being possible?

If I were being charged for my home wireless I'd have the ability to click on the "post a new thread" button on Cruise Critic, then wait for the text box to open (where I would be typing my post) THEN I could disconnect while I'm typing my post...then sign back on to click "submit new thread" button.

Is there some screwy thing that prevents this from being possible?

Can't see why unless they put cruisecritic on their blacklist of sites.

Using WiFi with your own laptop, there is no problem using your applications to prepare a draft. But the Internet Lounge computers have very few applications available -- not sure if there is even MS Word. The rates for using a laptop to connect used to be higher. I know that Platinum users can now use their free minutes using a laptop. But for those who pay, are the rates for using WiFi the same as the Internet Lounge Computers?

Using WiFi with your own laptop, there is no problem using your applications to prepare a draft. But the Internet Lounge computers have very few applications available -- not sure if there is even MS Word. The rates for using a laptop to connect used to be higher. I know that Platinum users can now use their free minutes using a laptop. But for those who pay, are the rates for using WiFi the same as the Internet Lounge Computers?
With the new, updated Internet system, you use the same Internet package whether you use your own WiFi or the ship's computers to log in and use it. If the ship you're on hasn't been upgraded yet, WiFi is completely separate and, I believe, is $.50/minute, no packages. If you are Platinum/Elite and purchase a package, the package is credited back to your onboard account; that does not include Internet usage not part of a package, i.e., no package, you pay per minute no matter what Captain's Circle level you're in.

You're right on the Internet Cafe computers - they do not have Word or any kind of word processor installed. They also have very limited restrictions on files you can attach - it's supposed to be for picture images. Unfortunately, at least on the Internet Cafe computers, they also use a compression program that really ruins any kind of image file attachments. Haven't tried using my laptop to upload files, but plan to on our next cruise since WiFi is now included in the internet packages.

You're right on the Internet Cafe computers - they do not have Word or any kind of word processor installed. They also have very limited restrictions on files you can attach - it's supposed to be for picture images. Unfortunately, at least on the Internet Cafe computers, they also use a compression program that really ruins any kind of image file attachments. Haven't tried using my laptop to upload files, but plan to on our next cruise since WiFi is now included in the internet packages.

As you are probably aware, connection speeds on board (either WiFi or the internet room PCs) are slowwww. An uncompressed picture can take a lot of time to upload which is why I suspect they use the compression on pictures. You may end up using many minutes to send each picture uncompressed via WiFi.

Thanks for all the responses everyone... and I was really using CruiseCritic.com as an example (regarding the loading, disconnecting, typing, reconnecting, posting... scenario).

I wish I knew whether or not the Golden will be including WiFi in their Elite packages ... I'm leaving in three days... Woo Hoo!!!

Thanks again.

Archived