Your favorite Maitre 'D and why? What makes them worth a tip??

Michelle M

Our favorite Maitre 'D is Miguel who was overseeing the Golden Olympian dining room on Carnival Liberty the first week of February this year.

He was fun, outgoing, seemed to want to take care of his guests, seemed to have a great rapport with his staff, and did a great job because the food was delicious.

I hope to have Miguel as our Maitre 'D again one day since he made us laugh, smile, and stuffed us with those wonderful food items I've come to look forward to on a Carnival cruise - Pumpkin soup, Spa Carnival Coconut Cake, Spa Carnival Orange Cake, Prime Rib, Lobster... :).

We loved Miquel. Did a B2B on Liberty January 2007. He was hilarious.

I was given late seating with my daughter (13), so when I went to request a move to early seating he spent about 10 minutes going through all the tables to put us with another single mom and her two boys...15 and 17. He then checked on us several times to make sure everything was good. But always tip the Maitre D' because based on my prior seating assignments and the two times I have requested a table change, they really do try to match you with dining companions that you will enjoy!

Mr V sounds familiar, which ship deoes he work???

Valor or FAscination??

I think it is hilarious that people think withholding tips are going to influence enforcement of a non-existent dress code. You are still in the minority and it still doesn't matter.

You can't please everyone but you can try to please the majority.

Whiners need not apply.

Joseph from Canada who was on the Celebration and I hear is now on the Glory! He is not the same person as Yusef on the Legend.

He is priceless, entertaining and always helpful! He is the only MD I have ever tipped. As a previous poster has stated, unless he provides a specific service to me, I do not see the need.

And also, I cannot abide the MD you only see with an outstretched hand on the last night! Please!:rolleyes:

I find it interesting that folks have a favorite MD and actually remember his name... I have never seen a MD smoozing with the guests each and every night... at least not at or near the area that I have been seated.

Do any of you memorize the MD's name, even if you had no request of his services? And if so, why...?

We tip based on situation. If we only see Maitre D last night no tip.

Last cruise on Miracle we told the asst my wife had food allergies and she came around every night with the next days menu and helped us select and than supervised the chef in making it. Way above and beyond.

I do not remember her name but she got a large monetary thank you for her help. Actually found Mr V on the same ship very annoying as he kept going on and on and did not know when to stop. Seemed to like to hear himself talk.

Only saw him at our table the last night and so the asst got the only tip besides waiter and asst.

Golf

I do not remember his name but the MD in the Monet dining room on the Conquest this last sailing was great. I do not think he went out of his way personally, but he was very entertaining and his FUN FUN FUN was very adictive. Gave him $5 extra as a thank you for his hard work, that being said had he not reminded me of my neighbor i may not have.

I do not feel the need to tip certain people, MD, CD, Captain, engineer, etc etc, these people are doing their job.

Waiter, Fredirico Monet dining room was awesome, never blinked at my requests or our crazy questions. Tipped him generosly and he earned it.

The Maitre D' IS a salaried employee, he oversees the Dining Room operation not the Food operations. Other than out of "tradition"I don't really see it as required unless he does something out of the norm for you personally - and I interpret in the Carnival documentation that he's not allowed to take tips for arranging table seating. Having said that, we usually slip the Maitre D' $5, altho I no longer plan to do this if he does not enforce the spirit of the Dress Code. ken

I think Ken is onto something here. I too have always tipped a five spot, never had to be moved or dinning time changed. So unless they do something for me I will determine my tips hense forth by how they enforce the dress code. I for one don't want to see the day when the supper club is the only place to accually dine!

Our vote is Ken Burne. We sailed with him on the inaugural cruise of the Spirit thru the Panama Canal and he was very entertaining. The cruise director on that cruise was brand new[won't mention any names as she is great now!] and not very good at her job. Ken made up for what she lacked. We have since sailed with her again and wasn't even sure it was the same person! I would jump on any ship Ken was on!

Pat

If they switch tables for me I tip more. If they check on us I tip more.

I have had them refuse tips at the begining of the cruise to get a smaller table just for my family. I wonder if flashing some cash did help me get what I wanted however:cool: .... Also if you enjoyed the galley tour or wine tasting that is a reason to tip them... The ones that do nothing get the fiver..... But I understand that is just me and I work in fine dining.

I think a universal rule here is that people who have to charm or smooze get tips.

I would name a few but I am afraid of totally misspelling some names...

Tom in Long Beach

I really liked George the Greek, I missed him last week on Inspiration since he is still off.

Freddie did a great job though, and I would certainly not be disappointed to be in his dining room again. He quieted down a rowdy table one night after we left Cozumel. He also moved us and our friends from a corner table by a wall to a nicer one near the windows before our second cruise started.

We always tip the Maitre D' something, but it does get adjusted depending on how much we like him.

We sailed on the Victory three times in large part due to the Maitre d' at the time, Francesco Tognini. One of those people who has the ability to remember thousands of people.

OFF TOPIC -

Chris - I see we are sailing together AGAIN (Dream 12/5/09).

There is a roll call running for that sailing. Drop on by and say HELLO. Perhaps we will have a chance to meet you after all these years.

We were at Baie Rouge a week ago today, and would have never discovered it were it not for your tips!

--- back on topic now....

I can't name just ONE Maître d' as a favorite. We have had the pleasure of eating in several dining rooms with many friendly and helpful people.

Here are some: Bimal, George, Paul, Freddy, Ajimi, Victor, and Stipe.

I can say that Damir failed to meet our expectations - and was MIA the entire cruise on our April 2008 sailing. Thankfully, he was not onboard last week!

Tom

We've been on five cruise, 3 RCI, 2 Carnival. The best maitre'd was the singing maitre'd - Ken Byrne. He was on our Carnival Freedom cruise in July 2007. He is the first maitre'd that we have ever had who gave personalized service to every table. He made it a point to visit every table every night and spent at least a minute per table. We saw him take care of several issues with waiters without hesitation. In addition, he kept us entertained during dinner with his performance. We're hoping that he is our maitre'd on Carnival Dreams inaugural cruise next September.

For us, it was Mr. V, the maitre'd on the miracle. He accomodated our request for a table for 2. He was constantly going and checking on the guests, making sure everything was to their liking. He had the most interaction with cruisers than I had seen any maitre'd do yet, and this was on our 4th cruise. When outside of the dining room, he always took the time to speak, and pose for a picture. Out of all the maitre'd's we have had, he's the only 1 we have tipped. He was the only one that we actually saw for more than an announcement, and acted like he cared that the passengers were happy with everything.

Mr. V! Yay! Didn't know he was on the Miracle now...DH and I cruised with him on the Valor in 07, and ditto - he's the only maitre'd we've ever tipped. LOVED him! He moved DH and I to a 4-top table with new friends we made on the Lido deck - good table, great waiter, no problems. And Mr. V stopped by repeatedly to make sure our table was ok - and remembered our names. Time to look for a cruise on the Miracle if he's still there...:D

Mr. V! Yay! Didn't know he was on the Miracle now...DH and I cruised with him on the Valor in 07, and ditto - he's the only maitre'd we've ever tipped. LOVED him! He moved DH and I to a 4-top table with new friends we made on the Lido deck - good table, great waiter, no problems. And Mr. V stopped by repeatedly to make sure our table was ok - and remembered our names. Time to look for a cruise on the Miracle if he's still there...:D

Mr. V was our Maitre d' on the GLORY last week - still there as we speak (type). He stopped by a few times and talked with us. Very helpful and friendly.

He was in the Platinum (aft) dining room. Joesph was in the Golden dining room and was the one who headed up the Platinum guests (private) galley tour - also a very nice fellow.

They switch dining rooms monthly.

Mr. V Indicated that he would be heading to the Triumph next (not sure when).

Tom

Mr. V was our Maitre d' on the GLORY last week - still there as we speak (type). He stopped by a few times and talked with us. Very helpful and friendly.

He was in the Platinum (aft) dining room. Joesph was in the Golden dining room and was the one who headed up the Platinum guests (private) galley tour - also a very nice fellow.

They switch dining rooms monthly.

Mr. V Indicated that he would be heading to the Triumph next (not sure when).

Tom

Thanks for the info! Time to look at booking the Glory then! ;) Unless he's on the Triumph next month which would be great..Don't remember much about the maitre'd on the Triumph last year except for the fact that he seemed very distracted and didn't connect very well...Mr. V would be a nice surprise. Thanks again!

Josef, super charged showtime Josef is one MD who has really made an impression on people.

He is one MD who ACTUALLY goes from table to table all during the cruise.

He actaully meets all his guests during the week, and will go out of his way to make your entire cruise a great one.

He actually remembered us from our first Celebration cruise, when we sailed with him the second time.

And..when he whipsers..."It's showtime..." you know there is more then just a few singing waiters coming up. He really makes dining fun.

I have been on nine cruises, and can not tell you the name of any other MD I have had. But, like so many others...I do know Josef.

Hello Everyone!

I have to say as to doing "their job" this MD went up and beyond & deserved more than the tip I could afford. One night I woke up really thirsty & looking for water & ice ... I was over tired, groggy and lost on the wrong floor looking to find an elevator to get "right" again. I bumped into Mr Silva. He laughed & said "You look lost, can I help you?" I told him what 'went wrong" and he he replied' You stay right here, give me the water pitcher, I will be right back" I did. He returned in short time with both water and a ice bucket full of ice. walked me to an elevator and showed me the map to make sure I got back to my cabin ok. I did. I thought that was kewl! He had helped us find just the right table when we 1st came into the dining room and that really made our dining experience super. Helping me ... on his off hrs. well that was superior. Shown is a pix of me and Freddie on Formal night. He was kewl to pose with me and John.

And so was Freddie's assistant, Slavenia and our waitress Natasha!

I just had to let you know that I don't believe in tipping. But that doesn't mean people do not survive by earning the tips. So I tip where according to service. I see people "doing their job" in just about every industry. but the attitude varies. Those who really enjoy doing the best they can & survive on tipping. Deserve a tip. Just my 2 cents.

As to Ken Byne on the Splendor. He is a fantastic performer. Really enjoyed his sets at dinner time. He was both pleasant to talk to and did keep an open mind in helping us find the right table. We did tip him as well.

DC.FreddieSilva_1058.jpg.be0d3c777beb4bc596994ba84121f6ad.jpg

We just recently sailed on the Glory, and our Maitre'D was Joseph - our Supercharged Maitre'D! He was great...he came over to our table of 10 every night, he danced with my grandkids, he always had a smile for everyone who came in - and always wished us a good evening when we left.

He made a great dining experience absolutely awesome! I am sure that he earns every tip he gets, and is very thankful for them as he worked very hard to make our cruise dining a success!

Ah yes, Joseph from Canada. :D He is the best Maitre' d that Carnival has, bar none. He is currently on the Glory and does a fantastic job. He gets tipped.

Yes, Mr. Martins, you have 25 days to straighten up and DO YOUR JOB RIGHT! :rolleyes:

I agree! It's SHOW TIME!! Joseph is by our favorite and he sure does get tipped. I was seated upstairs and had a good eye shot of the people walking in. Almost everyone I saw handed him their tip envelope. Including us. :p

Archived