how much cash in Euros to bring on cruise?

How I'm doing it... this time

Ran a quick spread sheet to get a rough idea how much cash I'll need.

Since I'm flying through Amsterdam (as many of us will), I'll pick up my Euro at their ATM. BTW, I've literally spent months at the Amsterdam airport, they have have several ATMs as well as a currency exchange booth that you can access without crossing the security line.

I'll pick up my Turkish Lira at the ATM in Turkey, and a small amount of Egyptian Pounds at a local exchange booth. From what I've been reading, many of the shops in the tourist areas in Egypt accept euros, American dollars, and pounds.

Don't forget to bring/buy enough small bills for tips, cokes/coffee, and photos of locals. While you can often tip in foreign currency, it must be paper and not coin. On one of my past trips, a porter asked me if I could exchange some 2 Euro coins for him. While the tip had been more than enough value wise, it was worthless... sense most money exchangers only accept bills.

One last reminder, don't forget to call your bank and credit card companies!!! You may trip a fraud alert if you don't, and they will freeze your card until to call them to verify charges.

Also for any newbees, Discover Card is worthless. Only country I've found it works in other than the U.S. is Costa Rica. However NCL does accept Discover. Visa is the most common, accepted card with Mastercard a close second. Major stores many time will accept American Express, but smaller ones often don't because of the expense. Not sure about the locations we are going to, but in many countries you need to show your passport, or at least a copy of it to use your credit card. Another reason to have a couple of photocopies of your passport with you.

I agree, people should do what works for them. People often post that they fear not finding an ATM handy; I am saying that on our 12 night med, we found ATMs easily, in every port. I'm sure people would like to know that.

I am making the point that on a cruise ship, one does have a backup exchange facility available, in case they arrive at an airport, or a town, where no ATMS can be found, or are not operational. As you were on a land vacation, you didn't have this option, so that would be something to think about on a land vacation.

btw I don't understand your comment about exchanging funds "for the 2800 folks onboard".

If all 2800 folks onboard waited to get their cash, relying on the ship to do the exchange, I don't believe the cashier would have that kind of EURO cash on-board.

I got Euros before I left. I didn't want the hassle of searching for an ATM. Just my luck there would not be one when I needed it. Ordered them online through my bank and had them delivered to my local branch. Got a better rate than my friends did. I did have to get more euros while on the cruise but I just used the ship's ATM and then had the Guest Relations desk convert to Euros for me. When I got home what I didn't use I took back to the bank. Turns out of the $200 (+$6 fee) I only used about $55 of it.

What bank did you use? We got them from BOA & used our BOA card--big mistake becuase we had a balance on it...it is treated as a cash advance--did not know that & then when we got home they raised the cash advance fee to 21 per cent. Needless to say we won't be doing that again..

Can any bank order them or just commercial ones?

What bank did you use? We got them from BOA & used our BOA card--big mistake becuase we had a balance on it...it is treated as a cash advance--did not know that & then when we got home they raised the cash advance fee to 21 per cent. Needless to say we won't be doing that again..

Not all banks deal in foreign currency. My Federal Credit Union would sell me travelers checks, but no foreign currency. I have a savings at Washington Mutual and was told they couldn't get me EUROs. I have my checking at Banco Popular and they said they don't deal in foreign currency at all.

The only ones I know for sure are Bank of America and Citibank, and I don't have accounts at either one. You just have to ask at your bank.

If all 2800 folks onboard waited to get their cash, relying on the ship to do the exchange, I don't believe the cashier would have that kind of EURO cash on-board.

Princess certainly advertises this service. From their website: "The Passenger Services/Purser's Desk in the ship's lobby is the place to cash traveler's checks, buy stamps, ask questions, settle your shipboard account and check Lost and Found."

And also, "For your convenience, Automated Teller Machines for the exchange of foreign currencies are available on vessels sailing out of European ports and on selected exotic itineraries. Please visit the Passenger Services/Purser's Desk for more information."

I don't think they'd advertise it if they weren't able to offer the service. :cool:

I would wait until you get over to Europe and I would get them at an ATM. On a related note be sure to let your ATM and Credit Card companies know the dates of your trip and where you are traveling to so they don't think the tranactions on your cards are fraud related.

How much you need really depends on how much cash you will spend. Everyone is different. Based on what you have said maybe you should start with say a couple hundred euros but again it depends on how much you plan to spend.

Keith

We are planning to bring about $400 in euros with us and use the ATM for the rest. I recently read that the Plus system ATMs are hard to find in Italy, and wouldn't you know, that's what we have on both our ATM cards (from separate banks.) Does anyone know whether this is true?

Nancy, sailing on Carnival Freedom Oct. 13

We are planning to bring about $400 in euros with us and use the ATM for the rest. I recently read that the Plus system ATMs are hard to find in Italy, and wouldn't you know, that's what we have on both our ATM cards (from separate banks.) Does anyone know whether this is true?

Nancy, sailing on Carnival Freedom Oct. 13

Plus is the Visa network. You will find Plus/Visa ATM's all over Italy. http://visa.via.infonow.net/locator/global/jsp/SearchPage.jsp

We never get Euros before leaving. As soon as we get off the plane we find an ATM, and just use ATMs throughtout our trips. NEVER have we spent a spare minute looking for ATMs, they are everywhere, including Italy. Call your bank before you leave to let them know which countries you'll be visiting. My husband and I carry debit cards from 2 separate accounts so that if a machine ever eats a card or there is a problem with one account, we have a backup.

It is hard for me to believe some banks' ATM cards don't work in Europe! I live (and bank) in the smallest of places--population of my town 242--and MY card works everywhere! I didn't know there even WERE banks smaller than mine. Are you guys sure your cards won't work if you notify your bank ahead of time?

Cathy

It is hard for me to believe some banks' ATM cards don't work in Europe! I live (and bank) in the smallest of places--population of my town 242--and MY card works everywhere! I didn't know there even WERE banks smaller than mine. Are you guys sure your cards won't work if you notify your bank ahead of time?

Cathy

I can only rely on what the bank is telling me. I asked them about getting me foreign currency and was told they don't deal in foreign currency and would not be able to get me any EUROs. I then asked to be sure my pin would work in Europe, and was told NO, my debit card was only good in the U.S. Maybe they don't want to bother with the foreign conversion, I don't really know the reason. And the credit union told me virtually the same thing.

I'm not sure they won't work, but after them telling me they wouldn't, I'm not willing to take the chance of losing my card in an ATM in Europe.

Wow! Well you absolutely have to believe them and not take any chances. I guess I get better service than I gave my bank credit for--they even said they could "get me" Euros but it would take 10 days! I have to start saying nicer things about them.

SO good that you checked first--enjoy your cruise.

Cathy

• 3 months later...

For others, if you have a Bank of America checking/savings account etc, you don't have to get a cash advance on your credit card. Provided you have the funds in your checking/saving's accounts to cover how much foreign currency to buy. Also at certain about you are not charged an additional fee.

The last two times we went to Europe, there was only one occasion when I tried to use an ATM (in Venice). It didn't work because the machine was out of cash.

When you use your ATM or credit cards you'll pay the ATM fee plus your bank will charge you a currency conversion fee between 1 & 3 %.

:confused:We have some private tours planned for our cruise, next June 13 to Italy and Croatia. I can figure out the cost of the excursions in euros but I need a ballpark figure to take for tips, food, etc. Help!! madmarti

As explained by my bank (in 2000), some ATMs would only accept PINs of a certain length. I have a four-digit PIN so it worked fine. I was told that if I had a card that had a five-digit PIN, it may not work in Europe, so it had nothing to do with the size of the bank. If I remember correctly, and often don't, some banks were 'commercial' and didn't deal with personal accounts.

We took a bus tour to several countries and only had a problem in France. We tried three machines before we could access our account. The ATM at the French bank did not work for us and their Security guy wouldn't allow me inside as I wasn't a 'customer'! Vive la difference! I went to a grocery store on the next corner and, viola! No prob, so made a dash with the cash.

I'm sure that things have changed over the years, but that's my 2000 story.

Still debating Euro exchange;

I understand not loading up on cash/euro, pickpocket lost etc. but :

In ATM fees & exchange charges of 1% my bank will charge me for atm use would it be cost effective to use atm solely?

If I rely on Atm's for myself & hubs worried about minimum alllowed per day not enough for tours etc..As we will be doing private tours.

Do private tours and small shops who do not accept credit cards accept travelers checks? I see no mention of travelers checks as accepted payment on tour websites.

Does anyone know if Carnival has ATM supplied with Euros?

I intend to use Capital one cc as much as possible (to gain points for next crusie:) But have a feeling most places we will be going do not accept cc's

Do private tours and small shops who do not accept credit cards accept travelers checks? I see no mention of travelers checks as accepted payment on tour websites.

Traveler's checks (in Euros or USD) are very difficult to cash in Europe these days. If you can find a place to cash them, they will charge a hefty fee for the priviledge. We last tried them about five years ago - never again! I have heard of a few tour companies that will take them, but not very many.

Lisa

In ATM fees & exchange charges of 1% my bank will charge me for atm use would it be cost effective to use atm solely?

If I rely on Atm's for myself & hubs worried about minimum alllowed per day not enough for tours etc..As we will be doing private tours.

I intend to use Capital one cc as much as possible (to gain points for next crusie:) But have a feeling most places we will be going do not accept cc's

We could easily get 300 euros at a time, which was plenty for us at least. And everywhere took credit cards, just some shops had a minimum (like 25-30 euros).

You can also change money on board but the exchange rate sucks; and the ATM on Celebrity only gave dollars and charged a hefty fee for doing so.

We bought 500 euros in advance from Wells Fargo ($10 delivery charge and you do not have to have an account with them) and then just used ATM's the remainder of our 14 day cruise with no problems whatsoever.

Hope this helps.

Cathy

The 1% your ATM card charges will be excellent, almost as good as the 0% on your Capital One credit card. Charging as much as possible is an excellent idea.

Covering expensive private tours can be a challenge. Cheapest route would be to withdraw your maximum every day and your husband's every day (assuming separate accounts) and save for the tours. Carnival is unlikely to have euros in an ATM, but cruise ships will convert currency for a fee. Costs were an acceptable 5% on my 2007 Legend of the Seas cruise. I doubt that Carnival would tell you their planned markup.

Check with the tour operators to see if they will accept traveler's checks. Many people qualify for free traveler's checks from their bank. Foreign denominated traveler's checks will be marked up over 5% in my experience.

eskiemomo,

I responded earlier about my ATM card and bank problems getting EURO ahead of time or waiting until you get there. I hadn't taken my cruise yet, so had no info on amount to take. I have since returned from our 12 cruise + 8 day land trip to Europe.

I had put hotels, airfare, tours on my credit card here well before the trip. So the cash I'm talking about is mostly for food, transportation and souvenirs. I took 1600 EUR and still put another $1000 on my credit card. And that is for 1 person. I did spend about $500 on souvenirs, so we're talking around 2000 EUR pp for food, drinks, taxi's etc. for the 3 weeks.

Archived