Live from the Crown Princess, Oct. 5-12

thatlauragirl

I will hold you to it and will be looking for your "LIVE." We will be on week #3; the 22nd. Thanksgiving week.

Pity you didn't book the innaugral - then we could have eventually cruised together.:D

We will be getting off when you get on but I won't be sad as we will be looking forward to another cruise - I have learnt that having some bookings helps as I'm sure you have with the amount you cruise:D ;)

I'm taking a break from watching the baseball games as my nerves are too frayed to keep watching.

Baseball playoffs are being shown again in Club Fusion. There's also a Country Western night going on in there so it's an interesting mix.

Tonight was lobster night, yesterday was Alaskan crab. I'm not sure when Caribbean night was... must've been when we were at Crown Grill or UBD.

I passed along the "hellos" to Kelvin from the Phantoms and the CC6. He must have a great memory because he smiled and immediately knew who I was talking about.

Seas are rough tonight. The Captain gave us a heads-up as we were pulling out of Grand Turk and said that the stabilizers will be in place tonight.

Grand Turk was a beautiful stop. Had perfect weather and the locals were really happy to see us there. A few of them told me that we represent "normalcy" returning to the island. The water and snorkeling have not been affected. However, the island is still pretty much a mess. I took some photos and will try to post upon return. The port itself is in much better shape and I would say about 60-70% of the shops at the port are re-opened. The pier is perfect... you would never guess what it's been through. The only major problem was the lack of phone services and credit cards. We heard from several people that were out of luck since they didn't have much cash on them. All said, though, the island is in surprisingly good shape and it looks like they're working fast to get it back to normal. I will say, as a caveat, that I'm a catastrophe adjuster for an insurance company so my opinion might be a little jaded as I'm used to working in conditions similar to this. I heard that some of the Princess employees went onshore to participate in volunteer work. I wish we would've had that option as passengers.

In regards to questions:

- I'm going to request the full set of menus tomorrow.

- In Grand Turk we exited the ship on the Starboard side. I need to ask my boyfriend about the others as I don't have a clue. :)

- I'll check on the hours for Club Fusion as I'm going back there as soon as I log off here.

Have a great evening everyone!!!

Forgot to answer the question about internet rates. I'm reading the paper here by the computer and it says:

$100.00 for 250 minutes

$75.00 for 150 minutes

$55.00 for 100 minutes

and Pay as You Go is $0.75 per minute.

There's also a $3.95 activation fee.

I'll check on the coffee price in the morning as I don't drink it myself. I know they were selling coffee tumblers along with the coffee card.

- In Grand Turk we exited the ship on the Starboard side. I need to ask my boyfriend about the others as I don't have a clue. :)

Gotta break that habit, Laura! I bet you really meant to say "Fiance".:p

Much thanks for the update, and info! We are really looking forward to our experience. :)

Laura,

Thank you so much for all of your posts. I get on the Crown tomorrow and you've helped me tremendously. I'll be sure to bring lots of cash for Grand Turk!! You've added so much to the excitement for this cruise.

I'm taking a break from watching the baseball games as my nerves are too frayed to keep watching.

Baseball playoffs are being shown again in Club Fusion. There's also a Country Western night going on in there so it's an interesting mix.

Tonight was lobster night, yesterday was Alaskan crab. I'm not sure when Caribbean night was... must've been when we were at Crown Grill or UBD.

I passed along the "hellos" to Kelvin from the Phantoms and the CC6. He must have a great memory because he smiled and immediately knew who I was talking about.

Seas are rough tonight. The Captain gave us a heads-up as we were pulling out of Grand Turk and said that the stabilizers will be in place tonight.

Grand Turk was a beautiful stop. Had perfect weather and the locals were really happy to see us there. A few of them told me that we represent "normalcy" returning to the island. The water and snorkeling have not been affected. However, the island is still pretty much a mess. I took some photos and will try to post upon return. The port itself is in much better shape and I would say about 60-70% of the shops at the port are re-opened. The pier is perfect... you would never guess what it's been through. The only major problem was the lack of phone services and credit cards. We heard from several people that were out of luck since they didn't have much cash on them. All said, though, the island is in surprisingly good shape and it looks like they're working fast to get it back to normal. I will say, as a caveat, that I'm a catastrophe adjuster for an insurance company so my opinion might be a little jaded as I'm used to working in conditions similar to this. I heard that some of the Princess employees went onshore to participate in volunteer work. I wish we would've had that option as passengers.

In regards to questions:

- I'm going to request the full set of menus tomorrow.

- I'll check on the hours for Club Fusion as I'm going back there as soon as I log off here.

Have a great evening everyone!!!

Thank you so much for taking the time to post! Enjoy your last day aboard the Crown :D

oooo, im so excited reading your live report. I look forward to reading all about it when you get home-- post pics and patters- even menus- so very thoughtful-- thank you.

I too would like to know how the ship pulls into docks.

Thanks for the post about Grand Turk. I'll be there on the Grand in February. I'm glad that the port was opened so quickly. I think it's good for the economy of the island and also for the welfare of the people who live there. I hope the pax were especially generous with their purchases and tips. I read somewhere that Carnival was going to create some excursions that included helping in rebuilding. Perhaps they were unable to get the logistics together so fast or even perhaps because their insurers may not have allowed it. In any event, people coming to the island and spending money will help the locals.

Laura, I forgot to add a special thank you for mentioning the snorkeling at Grand Turk. I was hoping and praying the reefs had not been affected by the storm and was glad to read they are o.k. I plan on doing some snorkeling, tipping them huge, and then spending all the cash I have left. I know the Grand Turk economy needs our money.

At least two years ago I purchased the coffee mug that they sell at the coffee bar...before they had the card. They were offering the same mug last winter on the Emerald. It as well worth it since I have been using it almost daily since...one down side is no handle but it fits nicely in just about every car cupholder that I have come across..

Laura thanks for all the updates...I board the Crown in less then 12 hours!!!!(give or take an hour or two):D

Hopefully I will start a new live from thread in the next day or so..:p

Laura,

Thank you so much for all of your posts. I get on the Crown tomorrow and you've helped me tremendously. I'll be sure to bring lots of cash for Grand Turk!! You've added so much to the excitement for this cruise.

PUNGO3, now make sure you do a review for us all as well when u return.:) I will be on the Crown for the first time in Jan 2009, so I've been trying to compile as much info as I can to know the ins and out and do's and dont's.

Laura, your review has been really helpful and I cant wait to see the Patters....and congrats on your engagement!:D

laura,

First off, congrats on your engagement! :p

Secondly, I really appreciate your taking time to keep us CC members informed with your "live" updates. You've given me a few good tips that I'll take with when boarding the Crown in a couple weeks. Thanks again!

Michael

Archived