Half Moon Cay -- Nude Sunbathing??

JeffCoud

I doubt Jeff will be back to check on a seven year old thread... :D

Ya gotta wonder how much effort it took to find this old thread, then resurrect it---for the controvery aspect, no doubt. :rolleyes:

How did this ancient tread get started again?

The HM on the Eurodam told us a few years ago, it is not allowed. The natives working on th island are offended.

However, if we really wanted to do it, go to the far end of the beach past the horse stables, and it should not be a problem.

I doubt Jeff will be back to check on a seven year old thread... :D

Jeff passed away from cancer a few months ago. Met him several times on land and also one cruise. A really good and well liked person. He was active on different cruise forums and active in local Washington DC politics.

Thanks for checking in, Charles. I'm sorry to hear about Jeff's passing.

I just hope he found the perfect place to shed it all while he was at HMC!

RIP, Jeff.

Hey! A new controversy! Congratulations, we haven't had one of those in a long time.

As far a nude sunbathing goes:

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Have you seen the typical HAL cruiser? Remember, if you can go nude everybody can go nude.

Yikes.

Isnt that the truth - usually those that go nude are the ones that really shouldnt!

Half Moon Cay did not get it's name from nude sunbathing, otherwise it would be called FULL MOON Cay!

While on this subject of bareness, we were walking along a beach called Maimon Bay in the DR near Puerta Plata several years ago. My DW, My Bro and SIL. My SIL spotted a rather furry obese male in full bloom on his stomach on a chaise lounge tanning his hide. Being somewhat of a prude she immediately turned away while my Bro now refers to the incident as "The Moon Over Maimon Bay".

Still laughable, but having a shipload of the same OMG!!

Judy, don't quote me, but I think in the early days of HAL there was a small sailing ship named "Haelve Mein". I will look it up on The Unnoficial HAL web site, to see if I am correct. Some of HAL's ships have a "Haelve Mein" - (see HAL's deck plans of the Statendam - room is listed as Half Moom) room which is a room used for meetings by groups and private parties. We attended a VIP party in there once. I may have gotten the spelling incorrect. Just checked the site and it is "under construction".

"Half Moon" was the name of Henry Hudson's ship.

This old Post has given us some laughs over the past few days.

I was sorry to learn of Jeff's death. May the Lord have mercy on his soul.

I was thinking the same thing. "Full Moon Cay" and "Sag is Sexy" will be making me snicker for a while. God bless Jeff's soul. I bet he had no idea this old thread would be making us giggle 7 years on and I hope he is giggling right along with us in the here after. :)

I was thinking the same thing. "Full Moon Cay" and "Sag is Sexy" will be making me snicker for a while. God bless Jeff's soul. I bet he had no idea this old thread would be making us giggle 7 years on and I hope he is giggling right along with us in the here after. :)

I think he must have posted it as a giggle cause he could not stay out in the sun long without getting burned. On the beach in Bermuda he brought a folding sun tent for protection and did not stay long.

If you want to know the law' date=' here it is for the Bahamas:

Nuisances and Obstructions in the Streets, and the Like

"212. Every person who does any of the following acts shall, in every case, be liable to a penalty of one hundred and fifty dollars, that is to say, every person who-...

12)wilfully and indecently exposes his person in any public place or within view thereof, or in any place [b']with intent to[/b] insult any female;"

I guess that means as long as there are no women around, it's OK to expose oneself in the Bahamas.

What if your intent is to impress any female, but the result is offending any female. Okay in the eyes of the law? :-)

What if your intent is to impress any female, but the result is offending any female. Okay in the eyes of the law? :-)

My suspicion is that they don't spend as much time trying to define the word "is" there as we do in the states. My guess is if the female is offended, you are in trouble. Break out your wallet and hand over $150.00.

Otherwise, make sure there are no women around when you skinny dip. Ladies, they can do whatever they want as long as the guys keep their trunks on. And if the guys get offended at the ladies, it doesn't matter. It may be a strangely worded law, but it still takes most of the fun out of the experience.

Judy, don't quote me, but I think in the early days of HAL there was a small sailing ship named "Haelve Mein". I will look it up on The Unnoficial HAL web site, to see if I am correct. Some of HAL's ships have a "Haelve Mein" - (see HAL's deck plans of the Statendam - room is listed as Half Moom) room which is a room used for meetings by groups and private parties. We attended a VIP party in there once. I may have gotten the spelling incorrect. Just checked the site and it is "under construction".

The ship you are talking about is the HALVE MAEN... in English HALF MOON. Nothing at all to do with nude sunbathing!:D

She was the ship in which Hendrik Hudson.... in English... Henry Hudson... sailed .... making aa voyage of discovery in 1609 up the river that now bears his name.

The HALF MOON was first connected to Holland America Line in 1938 when they introduced the second s.s. NIEUW AMSTERDAM. Nieuw Amsterdam is, as you all know, the name of the Dutch settlement that was later renamed New York. In 1938 HAL came up with a new company logo that combined a sweeping bow view of the new NIEUW AMSTERDAM with Henry Hudson's HALF MOON. The NIEUW AMSTERDAM was then the new flagship of HAL and the largest ship in the Netherlands merchant marine. As she was to run on the North atlantic from Rotterdaam to New York it seemed appropriate to combine the first Dutch ship to New York with the largest.

The Nw AMSTERDAM & HALF MOON logo fell out of use in the early 1970s but was revived in the mid 1980s and today is proudly displayed on the funnels of all Holland America Line ships.

I think everyone would agree that it is a great logo... certainly better than Princess' 'Vomiting Witch' or Cunard's 'MonkeY passing the nut'! :eek:

Oh.... the HALVE MAEN (HALF MOON) was Dutch but Henry Hudson was English!

Stephen

Archived