Our travel agent assigned us a handicapped veranda cabin on the Nordam?????

sixpackeddie

We recently booked a 20 night european cruise on the Noordam and our TA assigned us a handicapped cabin VF5054. I told her we do not want this cabin as I would hate to occupy a cabin we just dont need. We would rather see a handicapped person occupy it. Our TA tells us they will bump us if it is needed but I would like to make sure for sure. What does everyone think of this? Our TA tells us this cabin is better as it has a larger balcony, bathroom and main living area. What are my options at this point? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Craig:confused:

We recently booked a 20 night european cruise on the Noordam and our TA assigned us a handicapped cabin VF5054. I told her we do not want this cabin as I would hate to occupy a cabin we just dont need. We would rather see a handicapped person occupy it. Our TA tells us they will bump us if it is needed but I would like to make sure for sure. What does everyone think of this? Our TA tells us this cabin is better as it has a larger balcony, bathroom and main living area. What are my options at this point? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

According to many posters, HAL does not monitor occupants of HC rooms after assignment. Please tell your TA to move you. In addition, you may be asked for proof that you require the room.

Rich

I agree with you......I would not want to deprive someone who really needs a handicap cabin. However, your cruise is a little longer than average and perhaps the cruise line

has not had a request from anyone for a handicap cabin. I feel certain that if someone

wants to book the handicap cabin that you've been assigned to, HAL would ask you to give it up, and if that does happen, you may wind up getting something even better, such

as a mini suite or something like that. So, if I were you, I'd just sit tight and see what happens. Handicap cabins are somewhat larger and more comfortable than standard cabins, so if you get it, enjoy it. Whatever happens, have a great cruise. ;)

I was on the Eurodam a couple of weeks ago, in a HC room, due to my elderly mother's condition. The balcony was larger, but I'm not sure the cabin was any larger - maybe slightly larger, but there was no love seat, just a chair. This, of course, is to allow wheelchair access to the balcony, etc., which had a sloping ramp. The bathroom only had a shower (no tub), again for wheelchair access. These things might not appeal to you, and so you might want to look into the details on the Noordam, to see if this is also the case on your ship. I hope you are able to change cabins if you would like to. Have a wonderful cruise in any case.

• Administrators

Thanks

How close are you to sailing? This is a "hot button" issue for me, and the poster above who says that cruiselines SAY they will move you if necessary, and virtually never do, is spot on (that's any cruiseline, by the way -- I've read maybe 2 reports of a cruiseline contacting a passenger to move from a HC cabin here over the years -- the poster above may "feel certain" they will, but the fact is that on all the cruiseline message boards, plus the Disabled Cruising board, they don't (just as they don't ask for medical proof of need) -- the cruiselines figure they've sold it and it's out of inventory, so next passenger step on up).

However, I also think most folks (including HC folks) think that if it's close to sailing and no HC passenger has booked the cabin, it's fine and reasonable for the cruiseline to make it available to general booking, rather than sailing with it empty.

I think your TA might be part of the issue here, trying to sell it to you for the great "features" (which are "necessities" to HC passengers).

I wonder why vtg would put us in this cabin. It makes no sense?

It makes plenty of sense to me. :rolleyes:

The thinking is, if they get you a cabin with all these extra goodies, or even better---an upgrade!---then you will be back to book with them next time you go looking for a cruise.

Shame on them.

Handicapped cabins should be reserved for those who need them, IMO.

What does everyone think of this? Our TA tells us this cabin is better as it has a larger balcony, bathroom and main living area. What are my options at this point? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I think your travel agent is mis-guided. It is most inappropriate and unprofessional for your T/A to pitch a HC cabin to able-bodied passengers because of the alleged increase in size.

Personally, for all of the reasons mentioned by other posters above, my only option would be to tell my T/A to do the right thing and move me to a non-HC cabin ... if the T/A is unwilling to abide by my wishes, I would fire him, and cancel and rebook either directly with HAL or with a reputable T/A.

I fell into this thread strictly by accident but found it of some interest. I am booked on a Oceania TA in November of 2009. As my budget is limited and with Oceania I have to pay double, I booked the lowest rate inside cabin. All that was offered was a handicapped cabin, which I took. Also on the theory that if it was needed I would be bumped. Now I am feeling a tad quilty, but changing my cabin means increasing the cost of an already expensive cruise, even a few hundred dollars matters to me. Any thoughts...

Paris182

HAL does NOT monitor HC cabins that are booked by able-bodied people.

DH and I sat with one of the hotel managers for an extensive interview on the topic and he assured us that once a HC cabin is out of the inventory, that's it -- it's gone.

It is NOT flagged as being booked by an able-bodied person and available if a person with a handicap needs it.

Any TA who would deliberately book an able-bodied couple into a HC cabin has no conscience!!! :mad:

I like to think of the karmic possibilities for such folks.

I fell into this thread strictly by accident but found it of some interest. I am booked on a Oceania TA in November of 2009. As my budget is limited and with Oceania I have to pay double, I booked the lowest rate inside cabin. All that was offered was a handicapped cabin, which I took. Also on the theory that if it was needed I would be bumped. Now I am feeling a tad quilty, but changing my cabin means increasing the cost of an already expensive cruise, even a few hundred dollars matters to me. Any thoughts...

Paris182

I don't know about Oceania, but most Cruise Lines offer guarantee cabins. Ask to be move to a guarantee. That would free the HC room for someone to book who needs it, while giving you the possibility of an upgrade.

Rich

I don't know about Oceania, but most Cruise Lines offer guarantee cabins. Ask to be move to a guarantee. That would free the HC room for someone to book who needs it, while giving you the possibility of an upgrade.

Rich

That seems like a great solution and it can be easily done. I had a set room and called my TA to change to a guaranteed cabin and she did it with a flick of the keyboard. Just took a second. Good call and solution!

just as they don't ask for medical proof of need.
An FYI - RC has started sending out a form that you are supposed to fill out that requests the accommodations needed. It doesn't need signed by a doctor or ask for any details about the disability. It has questions like are you bringing a wheelchair, do you need a shower seat, do you need a lighted signal for the intercom, etc. According to RC, if you do not fill out the request form and submit it at least 30 days from sail date, your HC cabin can be taken away. I don't know if they have actually done that to anyone. I filled it out and got a reply that it was noted on my booking and my cabin request was finalized.

It might be helping to cut back on people requesting HC cabins for extra space. I've previously had problems booking an HC cabin for my mom if I didn't make the booking within a few weeks of the itinerary opening. For our upcoming cruise, I only booked 14 months in advance and was able to get the cabin and date I wanted on the first try.

First, I want to applaud you for your high standard of moral behavior. It is increasingly rare to see such selflessness; you are a model for us all. Second, as a travel industry professional, I am ashamed of your TA's conduct; it is unconscionable and reflects poorly on the rest of us. Usually it is the able-bodied client who attempts to pressure the TA to book an HC. We will not do it under any circumstances. We wish all HC assignments required the approval of the Access and Compliance Department. Until that happens, the disabled must rely on the consciences of fellow passengers such as you and on ethical TAs.

Thanks

Seems unethical to me. Those staterooms should be saved for someone who needs them. I'd be inclined to cancel the booking and rebook with a more ethical TA. If you don't want to do that, I'd go online and find another stateroom to your liking and ask him/her to switch you.

I am truly surprised by your travel agent's conduct. That agency has a large department specially for handicapped cruisers, and it prides itself on its service to them. It knows full well what difficulties people with handicaps have when booking cruises. It is an agency that we have used exclusively in the past. We will not use it again if it continues to book able bodied people into accessible cabins! You should know that the cabins are not as fully furnished as others in the same category. That is to allow for ease of access for the wheelchair. You won't find a bathtub - just a shower that is flush to the floor.

OP -thank you for sharing your concerns. As many have said before, the cruise lines really should not release these cabins to able bodied cruisers until just before the cruise. Then, if they are not required by handicapped passengers, anyone should be able to book them.

OP - Shame on your TA. She is so wrong to do this and should be told so. If you cant tell her. Give her the address of this thread so we can tell her. May I also say how wonderful it is of you to object to taking a HC cabin. Kudos to you. :D

I agree with you......I would not want to deprive someone who really needs a handicap cabin. However, your cruise is a little longer than average and perhaps the cruise line

has not had a request from anyone for a handicap cabin. I feel certain that if someone

wants to book the handicap cabin that you've been assigned to, HAL would ask you to give it up, and if that does happen, you may wind up getting something even better, such

as a mini suite or something like that. So, if I were you, I'd just sit tight and see what happens. Handicap cabins are somewhat larger and more comfortable than standard cabins, so if you get it, enjoy it. Whatever happens, have a great cruise. ;)

Although you feel certain that HAL would bump AB pax from a HC cabin you are sadly mistaken. Those of us that are disabled or travel with some one who is knows what a myth this is. Once the handicapped cabin is out of inventory is it gone, sold, and no one looks at it again.

Booking a HC cabin WILL as you say, deprive someone who really needs a handicap cabin. HAL doesnt keep track of who's in the cabin and really doesnt care.

If you want to make sure not to deprive a disabled person of a cabin they need. Never under any circumstances should an AB knowingly take,accept or book a handicapped cabin.

A dear, dear friend of mine, who's been on many cruises, confided to me the other day that she'd discovered that HC rooms were larger, so that's what she's booking for herself and her hubby.

And she's a TA.

My opinion of her, unfortunately, fell a notch.

I agree with other posters who believe in reserving HC cabins for those who require them. Availability of an HC cabin can mean the difference between a cruise and no cruise for many people...

My fiance is a quadraplegic and we have never been asked anything about needing a HP room. The only time they ask us to fill out a form is if we want to see the HP excursions. As far as I know they cannot even ask you disability. So please don't book HP rooms. There are so few on a ship and we really need them.

I asked the agency about their policy re: handicapped rooms. This is the reply I received:

"Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I assure you that is not our policy and I would like to investigate this matter further, but to do so I would need some more information. Do you happen to have the passengers name or the sail date? I found the thread you mentioned on cruise critic, but there are not enough details to investigate.

I do take this matter seriously as we strive to offer the best service in the industry.

Sincerely, Kari Lee

Manager

Even if I knew the poster's name, I wouldn't reveal it - that would be up to them. I don't know if the OP wants to pursue this further or not, but there is an opportunity.

• Administrators
I asked the agency about their policy re: handicapped rooms. This is the reply I received:

"Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I assure you that is not our policy and I would like to investigate this matter further, but to do so I would need some more information. Do you happen to have the passengers name or the sail date? I found the thread you mentioned on cruise critic, but there are not enough details to investigate.

I do take this matter seriously as we strive to offer the best service in the industry.

Sincerely, Kari Lee

Manager

Even if I knew the poster's name, I wouldn't reveal it - that would be up to them. I don't know if the OP wants to pursue this further or not, but there is an opportunity.

That makes me feel better -- thanks for taking the time to do this. Agencies should take this seriously, especially when they are actually among the most helpful of agencies to HC passengers.

That makes me feel better -- thanks for taking the time to do this. Agencies should take this seriously, especially when they are actually among the most helpful of agencies to HC passengers.

*This* agency does seem to understand the problem. Of over 1,000 cabins on the Eurodam, there are only 30 wheelchair accessible cabins. I'm glad the OP understood the ethics of the situation and posted the information - a lot of people wouldn't have the sensitivity to do so.

I have a hearing handicap, not mobility, but that gives me somewhat of an understanding of the wide variety of problems faced by the disabled. In most cases, the accomodations required by the handicapped aren't onerous, but do require cooperation and a bit of empathy.

Archived