Join us, Bill and Mary Ann, on our 128 day epic journey around the world in 2009

WCB

Honest, Paul, it wasn't our fault! Blame Bill Fox! Just because we liked cork-forking and Baba Ganoush, it doesn't mean we're bad people. Of course, Emily Post wouldn't have joined our table. (However, it was fun having people ask to sit at our table and crew members greeting us with "Baba Ganoush" when we got off and returned to the ship at ports.)

Looking forward to meeting you in 2010 - and to having Bill and Mary Ann join us for the first segment.

I just KNOW there is a great story behind all this... care to share? :)

Report # 7 1-08-09 Thursday Catagena, Colombia

The Rotterdam arrived to the port of Cartagena around 7 am. It's going to be a very muggy 84 degrees today. And we are just as glad that our tour was cancelled. That gave us the chance to sleep in a bit later.

We're only here until 1 pm, so after breakfast, we took a walk on the waterfront that led to a small terminal building. A small shuttle was taking people from the ship there as well. It is a funny thing......this is our fourth time to Cartagena, and we never saw this little resort-like area before. Apparently, the tour buses bypass the complex and take the passengers directly back to the gangplank.

The air-conditioned terminal had a large assortment of souveniers and clothing, although we knew it was priced a bit higher than the city stores. However, leaving the gate here looks like we would be taking quite a risk. It's a place to be if you are part of a group, but not alone. Taking a taxi from here would be fine. But we were told a story from friends who recently visited here, that a cab cost $20.to go to the gold shopping area. What the cabbies did not tell you, was that the ride back costs $40!! And with the ship leaving at 1 pm, they had you "over a barrel"!!

Bill bought a neat t-shirt, and I found a necklace/earring set made from a type of gourd that is grown in Colombia. Quite unique, but so hard to choose a design and color. There were no two alike. The vendors were also selling handmade items from the San Blas Islands and knit items from Ecuador. Rum is a big seller here, as well as Juan Valdes coffee. Coffee can be brought onboard, but not rum. It would be confiscated and held in storage until we got back from the world cruise.

On our walk back to the ship, we spotted the "pirate" boat tour. A folkloric show was in progress as they sailed towards the pier. The passengers looked happy, since they had been sampling that good rum, we suspected!

Back on the ship, we went to the back pool to watch the sailaway. The sun was pretty intense, so we were glad to enjoy the welcomed breeze once they dropped the ropes.

The rest of our day was spent eating lunch, trying to e-mail ( internet problems already ), and resolving the refrigerator dilemma. We had asked the nice girl at the front desk if we could get a replacement refrig. She called a job order into the proper department, and we found a brand new unit plugged in under the desk by the time we returned to the room. Good deal. Now all they have to do is take the old one out, and install the new one. But why didn't they do that while they were here?? Hmmm. Well, they advance in baby steps, so we need a little patience on our end.

By the way, we ran into Henk, the hotel manager, and his head Lido staff during lunch today. He confirmed that the quality of the food this year would far surpass that of last year. We did let him know that we were impressed so far, and he said he would hope to keep it that way.

Dinner was fun tonight as we got to know our fellow tablemates a little better. Shirley L., a tablemate from 2007, has joined our buddy Jeff's table which is adjacent to us. She is in heaven because there is only one other lady there, the rest are men. Usually, it is the other way around!

Until tomorrow,

Mary Ann & Bill

Dave,Once again great photos. Thanks for that as the photos do tie in with the wonderful narratives we are getting from Mary Ann and Bill. It is great to see the lovely Rotterdam.Jennie

You are very welcome. Sharing webcam captures is the easy bit. Thanks are more than due for the wonderful reports coming through.

Shame HAL does not have bridge cams,however there are a few ports with cams along the way ,so we may be able to catch them "live".

Report # 8 January 9, 2009 Friday Transisting the Panama Canal

Early this morning, we will be entering what is considered the 8th wonder of the modern world - the Panama Canal. Initiated by the French, this most difficult engineering project was eventually taken over by the Untied States in 1904. Ten years later in 1914, and after a total loss of over 30,000 lives, the canal was completed at the cost of $387 million dollars. This 48 mile long canal saves ships the 7000 mile treacherous trip around South America's Cape Horn.

We were in for an adventure today, as we realized the unreal task the workers faced when building this waterway. This was not our first trip through the canal, but that did not lessen the experience one bit.

The Panamanian pilot boarded the ship near the city of Colon, where the ship would leave the Caribbean Sea and enter the Gatun locks around 6:30 pm. We turned our TV on to see many people already positioned on the bow to view the operation of the first lock. A smaller vessel, the Amadea, was entering the adjacent lock the same time we were. From our verandah, we could watch this ascent easily, as the gate closed and the lock filled rapidly with water.

During the entire transit, a Panama Canal history commentator provided a much appreciated narration. Those of us on the outside decks had to be very careful to avoid sun burning and possible heatstroke as we listened to the stories of politics and problems that plagued this project.

Now one of the best parts of the morning had to be the tasty "Panama Rolls" that were served on the outside decks from 6 - 9 am. They are a sweet roll filled with crushed mandarin oranges and vanilla custard. Disappointed, we knew we would miss out on these, because we went to breakfast late. However, Presti, one of the nicest head waiters, quietly went down to deck three and came back with four of them on a plate. He saved the day!! How sweet it is!!

The ship held a deck sale of handmade souveniers, mola tees and purses, and shirts for sale. Most of the t-shirts were printed by HAL, but the price was right. This is the first time that people lined up and went thropugh the line in an orderly fashion. Normally, it is a melee!

As we passed the Continental Divide, Bruce, the cruise director, tossed a glassful of canal water ( yuck!) into the back pool. That way passengers could claim they "swam in the Panama Canal". Each swimmer was rewarded with a certificate to prove it. Lots of fun.

It didn't take long before we were going under the Centenniel Bridge and entering the Pedro Miguel and Miraflores locks. Well before 6 pm, we sailed past Panama City, under the Bridge of the America's, and into the Pacific Ocean. So long Caribbean until May!!

We were invited to a pre-Grand World Voyage cocktail party hosted by Captain Olav, the hotel manager, Henk, and the cruise director, Bruce. However, when we arrived to the Crow's nest deck, we could barely squeeze out of the elevator! And since it began at 7:30 pm, that gave some of us a half hour before we had to go to dinner. It was obvious that we were going to have to bypass the reception line, and enter on the opposite side. many others followed us, or gave up and left. How is it possible to receive over 200 people and serve drinks in a half hour? Anyway, while chatting with Henk, he told us that about 930 passengers would be sailing out of Los Angeles, with about 640 of those being full world cruisers. At least the ship won't be overcrowded like it is now.

Until tomorrow,

Bill & Mary Ann

Mary Ann & Bill

Thank you so much for taking us along on your journey! We followed John & Diane's reports last year every day and are very much looking forward to "cruising the world" with you also.

Thanks for the report on Cartagena. We are going thru the Canal in October and were wondering if we could do our own tour in Cartagena - I think we will either do a ship tour or just visit the terminal.

Mary Ann & Bill

Thank you so much for taking us along on your journey! We followed John & Diane's reports last year every day and are very much looking forward to "cruising the world" with you also.

Thanks for the report on Cartagena. We are going thru the Canal in October and were wondering if we could do our own tour in Cartagena - I think we will either do a ship tour or just visit the terminal.

Hi Mary Ann and Bill:

I echo Desert Dogs thanks since I will be going through the Canal twice next month - I'm doing a 28-day San Diego/Fort Lauderdale/San Diego cruise. I have been through the Canal a few times and, as you said, it's always a real adventure. I was wondering about Cartagena, since I have never been there before, and am thinking that Desert Dogs have the right idea.

Hope you are still enjoying the cruise (how could you not?:D). Continued fair winds and following seas and I will be waiting eagerly for your next posting.

Valerie:)

Hi Mary Ann and Bill:

I echo Desert Dogs thanks since I will be going through the Canal twice next month - I'm doing a 28-day San Diego/Fort Lauderdale/San Diego cruise.

Valerie, are you doing this as one cruise or b2b cruises? I am looking into cruises therough the Panama Canal and don't like the idea of getting on a ship for under at least 20 days. Any suggestions?

Valerie, are you doing this as one cruise or b2b cruises? I am looking into cruises therough the Panama Canal and don't like the idea of getting on a ship for under at least 20 days. Any suggestions?

I don't know how Valerie is doing it, but I am doing the same thing later in the year (April) and I am doing it as one cruise.

Susan

Cartagena is a scary place IMO. I think you've made the right choice.

Interesting that there are only 640 pax 'doing' the whole world cruise. On the 2007 GWV the figure was 1150 with about another 200 hopping on and off for the various segments. I don't know if anyone has the figures for the 2009 GWV. I suspect that figures might even be less than this for the 2010 GWV.

And will be happily following along for a couple weeks before leaving on an around SA cruise. We met you on the Voyage of the Vikings cruise in 2006. Haven't quite built up to a World Cruise but we are working on it. This year 49 days and next fall the 67 day Grand Australia etc., etc. cruise. I'm sure you'll have a great time and so will we.

Jean & Jeannette

Interesting that there are only 640 pax 'doing' the whole world cruise. On the 2007 GWV the figure was 1150 with about another 200 hopping on and off for the various segments. I don't know if anyone has the figures for the 2009 GWV. I suspect that figures might even be less than this for the 2010 GWV.
I wonder if HAL will go back to doing the GWV on the Prisendam? I heard that in 2002 ... due to the terrorist attack of 9-11, the bookings were rather light, and I think I read that the ship (might have been the Rotterdam) sailed at about half capacity. So, after that year, HAL switched the GWV to the Prisendam, a smaller ship. Over the years, though, the bookings picked up and again the sailing moved to a larger ship. Sounds like the pendulum might be swinging back in the other direction again ... due to the state of the economy.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Report # 9 January 10,2009 Saturday Golfo Dulce, Costa Rica

From the looks of it, today will be another steamy hot day in the high 80's. People were already seated on the new teak lounges on the promenade deck by the time we did our early morning walk. Too bad we all had to tolerate the extreme fumes coming from the paint that was neatly being applied on the walls by a team of painters. They're determined to have this ship "sparkling" by the time we reach Los Angeles.

The ship's plan today is to scenic-cruise Golfo Dulce, an inlet on the western shores of Costa Rica. The smooth green-blue waters of the gulf were surrounded by virgin rainforest. The few pristine beaches we saw are rarely seen by tourists, we were told, because they are used as nesting grounds for three species of turtles. The leatherneck turtles can actually reach lengths of over 6 feet, and can weigh over 100 pounds!! Unfortunately, we did not see any of these today, just the smaller ones.

What we did see as we enjoyed catching the rays of the sun by the back pool, were pods of dolphins jumping in the ship's wake. Occassionally, we spotted some lazy humpback whales skimming the surface or diving deep. This inlet is obviously a rich marine sanctuary. What a treat for all of us!

As the Rotterdam neared the outlet of the bay later in the afternoon, a small whale-watching boat appeared to be almost capsized by a breaching whale. We watched, as did many others, from our verandahs as the whale displayed signs of anger. His large fin came out of the water, and slapping it several times before he decided to dive. Guess he did not like being pursued so aggressively.

Bill & Mary Ann

Well, Bill and Mary Ann, You're on your way and your posts are already fascinating. I hope you know how much pleasure and joy you bring to those of us who follow your travels. Thanks so much.

I don't know how Valerie is doing it, but I am doing the same thing later in the year (April) and I am doing it as one cruise.

Susan

Yes, I am doing it as one cruise also, although it can be split into two cruises - 14 days in either direction.

thanks! I will have to look into it for the perfect 30th anniversary surprise for my husband!;)

Now, that would be wonderful anniversary surprise!:cool:

I hope that you both have sensational cruises.

Great new about only 930 passengers out of LA. The service should be even more wonderful than usual. I guess it could be fuller on other segments. I just read on the board that on Christmas eve Grumpy (you remember him from the 2005 cruise, I'm sure) had a bad fall that broke his hip and pelvis, had surgery, then a blood clot in his lung. He is doing OK now, but is still in Ohio where they had gone for Christmas. I am going to e-mail Slinky to let her know we are thinking of them. They were planning on doing the long Prinsendam to Europe in March. Hope they still can.

Leslie

Great new about only 930 passengers out of LA. The service should be even more wonderful than usual. I guess it could be fuller on other segments. I just read on the board that on Christmas eve Grumpy (you remember him from the 2005 cruise, I'm sure) had a bad fall that broke his hip and pelvis, had surgery, then a blood clot in his lung. He is doing OK now, but is still in Ohio where they had gone for Christmas. I am going to e-mail Slinky to let her know we are thinking of them. They were planning on doing the long Prinsendam to Europe in March. Hope they still can.

Leslie

So sorry to hear about poor Grumpy. We had met up with them in Florida a few years ago when they briefed us on world cruises prior to our 2007 GWV on the Amsterdam. Say "a big HI and get well soon" from Paul and Maria.

Report # 10 January 11, 2009 Sunday Puerto Caldera, Costa Rica

Our port of call today was Puerto Caldera, Costa Rica. This area is known for its beaches now, but in the 1800's, coffee was brought to this port in oxcarts from the mountainsides for exporting. The oxcarts were beautifully painted, and the smaller version remains a keepsake for tourists nowadays.

We found out we were docking instead of anchoring. That is always a huge convenience when it can be done.

Our tour began at 7:20 am, where we got "stickered" in the Queen's Lounge. Even though we were on time, it looked like we would be in the last bus. Actually, the buses were mini-buses. You know, the ones where the seats fold down in the aisle? Truthfully, these buses are designed for kids or little people...neither of which applied to us Holland people!

It would not have been too bad being "sardined", but when we got the the main highway heading towards San Jose, it was rough going. Roadwork was in progress for miles, so our speed was no more than 25 miles per hour. Good thing, because there were major potholes and gravel, and we swear our bus had flat tires!! At one point, the traffic came to a halt and was single lane. Today being Sunday, meant many families were traveling down to the beaches for their afternoon picnics. As a result,our tour time was mostly used getting to and from the forest.

Our excursion was called Sky Walk in the Forest, about 1 1/2 hour drive from the pier. Just before we got to the trailhead, our driver brought us to a Villa complex so we could use the facilities and buy water. We all began exploring the property and taking pictures, when our guide said we would be back later. Before we proceeded to board the bus, we had to sign a waiver releasing the tour company of any liability in case of personal injury. We felt that HAL should have given us a heads up on this. It's not nice to have to sign our lives away! In all actuality, we do not know how binding these forms are, nor did we want to find out the hard way!!

At the start of the trail, 10 minutes from the villa, we were treated to a beautiful view of the oceanside far down below. Our guide said there were 120 species of birds, as well as kinkajous, agoutis, and coatis in this forest. If we were lucky, we would see some of them.

The 1 1/2 hour walk took us down steep steps and winding trails. Some people had brought walking sticks, but seemed to have more problems trying to use them than it was worth. Sure was a good thing that Costa Rica was in their dry season, or this hike would be dangerous.

We did see a lot of tree varieties, ferns, orchids,and parasitic plants as we traversed the set of three suspended bridges. It sure was a strange sensation having the metal bridge bounce up and down and sway to and fro so high up above the jungle floor! It did get our hearts beating a bit faster!

As for wildlife sightings, we saw little. Two groups had already gone ahead of us, and frankly, the animals lay low in the heat of the day. We did hear howler monkeys in the distance, and macaws as well. Turkey vultures were quite visible as they soared the mountain tops for prey.

On the ground, we spotted millions of leaf cutter ants, busy as can be, hauling their bits of greenery to their nest. Our guide said that the leaf chunks create a mold inside their nests, and that is their food source.

On the side of a large tree, we saw three tiny nectar bats sleeping upside down. Our guide mentioned that these bats are crucial in pollenizing plants and crops in the area.

At the trail's end, we boarded the bus and went back to the Villa as promised. It was a much larger complex than we thought. Crossing a bridge from the lobby, we went over a river to a cantina where fresh fruit and welcomed ice tea were served. Nearby was a small open air chapel surrounded by plush gardens and ponds. There were also small buildings where artisans created souveniers. They were closed today, but one unremarkable giftshop was open. Time was short, so there were few takers. Near the store was a huge covered banquet floor with a stage. They must use this place for weddings and such. As we crossed the bridge to go to the bus, we almost stepped on a large spiny ridge iguana, about 30 inches long, sunning himself on the trail. That woke us up in a hurry!

On the ride back, we crossed a major river near Carara National Park. Down below on its banks, were huge crocodiles sunning themselves. Nearby was a meadow full of horses and cattle, oblivious of the danger lurking nearby.

We were back to the ship by lunchtime. There were no vendors in sight mainly because this pier is more of a container port. Freighters were being loaded as we watched until the sun went down.

From 5:30 to 8 pm, the ship hosted a Latino barbeque. It did smell good, as we watched the hungry passengers line up promptly at 5:30!! We decided to go to our table as usual. There were just four of us, so dinner was speedy.

At 10 tonight, the Filipino crew presented a folkloric show in the Queens Lounge. It is always a favorite of the Holland passengers!

And so ended our day in Costa Rica as the ship sailed towards Guatamala.

Mary Ann & Bill

Another great post. We were in Costa Rica when we were on the Veendam in 2006 and we also docked at that port. I can picture it vividly as I read your post. We also had shocking roads when we were there and huge traffic jams. It must be Puerto Caldera and the area around it.

Jennie

Report # 11 January 12, 2009 Monday Day at Sea

Cannot believe that we have been on the ship over a week already! That proves the theory that time flies when you are having fun.

The weather was a bit changed this morning when we saw gray skies and misty waves. This was much better walking weather, even though the humidity is still high.

There were so many activities happening that fewer folks were outside. One of them happened to be a Mariner's brunch, which few of us world cruisers were included. We 're sure that a big party will be held for us after we leave Los Angeles. We can't complain. After all, we did get the invite to the 10 minute cocktail party in the Crow's Nest a few days back. You would be surprised at how many of the full cruisers have complained about little exclusions so far. We did not expect any thing different on this leg, so we are not disappointed. We have had such a wonderful welcome from many members of the staff that remembered us from past cruises. They even remembered our names....that is incredible!

There were two lectures today.....one about the Cuna Indians on the San Blas Islands, and the other about Mayan archaeology and jade. We're sure the latter one will lead to a special jade sale very soon!

We lazed away the afternoon while visiting with friends, catching up on gossip ( Barbie knows all!), and taking in what sun came out.

This evening was the second formal night. Since we have a table for eight, we had a guest join us.....the future cruise consultant, Denise. She seemed to be fairly new to her job, but she did grace us with some fine wines. Dinner was longer however, since one of our tablemates enjoyed most of the wine, and bent Denise's ear through the entire meal! By the way, so far it appears that most guests are adhering to the dress code. We have seen no jeans, t-shirts, or shorts in the dining room at dinnertime. On this 14 day trip, there are no informal evenings, mostly casual. That seems to be the trend on most of the shorter cruises on all lines. As it stands, we will have only 9 informal (jacket/tie optional for men) on the rest fo the world cruise. In time, that may go away, we think. Packing would be so much easier.

Here's a little update on the entertainment at night. The Rotterdam singers and dancers have performed about three times. According to our dinnermates, they said the shows were OK, not outstanding. Doug Mattocks performed the world on a string and Yacov Noy gave a comedy skit. Maybe as time goes on, we will try to attend the shows in person!

Looking forward to our stop in Guatemala!

Mary Ann & Bill

Archived