Join us, Bill and Mary Ann, on our 128 day epic journey around the world in 2009

WCB

Report #1 January 1, 2009 Were Off And Running !!!

Greetings and Happy New Year to all!

Well, here we are, getting ready for a long trip....128 day world cruise on Holland America's flagship, the Rotterdam 6. This ship was built in 1997, is 62,000 gross tons, and holds 1316 passengers. This will be our first voyage on her. If all goes as planned, we should be flying out of San Francisco Saturday, January 3rd, at the ungodly hour of 6 am, for a first class flight to Miami, Florida. We'll have a two night stay at Ft. Lauderdale's Westin Hotel, including a cocktail reception and welcome dinner with our travel group. On Monday, January 5th, we should board the ship for 128 days of world cruising, dubbed the "Voyage of Discovery".

But a little bit about ourselves first. We have enjoyed sailing on cruises since the early 80's, but even more so since we have been retired. Bill has worked in the electrical industry and I, Mary Ann, worked for food service in the school district. We have two great kids, one sweet granddaughter, a mini farm, and a variety of birds, our favorite hobby. Having gone on several world cruises, we look forward to this one, in particular, since it will encompass much of the eastern coast of Africa.

The ports we are to visit include Cartegena, Colombia, transit the Panama Canal, Puerto Caldera, Costa Rica, Puerto Quetzal, Guatemala, Huatulco, Acapulco, Cabo San Lucas, Mexico, then to Los Angeles. This is where the majority of the world cruisers will join the ship. From there we sail to Hilo, Honolulu, Luganville and Port Vila, Vanuatu, Noumea and Ile De Pins, New Caledonia, Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide, Perth, Australia, Lombok, Komodo Island, Semarang, Indonesia, Hong Kong, Shanghai, Nha Trang, Vietnam, Kemaman, Malaysia, Singapore, Phuket, Thailand, Cochin, Mumbai, India, Dubai, Muscat, Oman, Seychelles, Mombasa, Kenya, Nosy Be Madagascar, Mayotte, Maputo, Mozambique, Richard's Bay, So. Africa, Durban, Cape Town, Luderitz, Walvis Bay, Namibia, St Helena, Ascension Island, Devils Island, Trinidad, Bridgetown, Barbados, St Barts, and finally, Ft. Lauderdale.

During this summer, we also investigated the possibility of taking an overland safari out of Durban, South Africa, with our cruising buddy, Jeff. Thanks to a couple of excellent travel agents, and many phone calls, we were able to put together a trip to see Victoria Falls, two riverboat rides on the Zambeze River,a day safari to Botswana, and elephant ride, and an African market visit. Then on our last day in Cape Town, the three of us will go on a private tour of the area, including the Cape of Good Hope and Table Mountain. If all goes well, this should be a very special experience.

In October of 2008, we got the visa information. Wow! What a shock to see the prices of visas. Most of them will be procured on the ship (applied to our shipboard account....$1200.for both). The only ones we had to send for were for China and India. We opted for a ten year Indian visa, which cost a bit more, but would pay for itself even if we used it once more. Zierer Visa Service processed them quickly, because we got them back in three weeks. Luckily, before we did the segments on the 2008 world cruise last March, we sent for extra pages for our passports. Many countries require two pages for their stamps, and will actually block your entry if you do not have the pages. Pretty picky!!

We were due for our annual flu shots in October, and I was due for a tetanus vaccination. Since it had been seven years since we did the typhoid pills, we decided to get that out of the way. I learned something about having too many vaccines. Don't do them all at once! Bill had a mild reaction to the typhoid, but I thought I was going to die for three days (deathly sick). Our pharmacist made me feel better by telling me that getting typhoid was way worse. Yeah, it's a bad way to go.

It seemed like waiting forever to get the luggage shipment information from HAL. Actually, they waited until December 3rd before sending the ship packages, stationery forms, and our complete packet with all of our travel documents. Funny thing...the in-room liquor package (2 bottles each) came in October. Guess they have their priorities in order. The actual printing of the what you need to know booklet and shipboard packages were a disappointment. For the special "50th year of world cruising" trip of 08, we were sent nice booklets. This year, they are in pamphlet form. We hope this is not the start of cost shaving!! During this trip, we intend to keep an eagle's eye out for that, and will report accordingly.

As for the unlimited luggage, we were able to fill 16 bags, some large, some small. We had received pre-printed luggage tags from Fed Ex, so zip-locking them on our luggage was easy. The van from Fed Ex had pulled into our driveway late on Monday Decenber 22nd. We had moved all of the bags outside earlier, and course, it rained. We did think ahead and covered them with a huge tarp. Anyway, by the time we spotted the van, he had them all loaded and was ready to go. Good deal. Assuming the bags were going cross-country by ground, the driver said, no, they were going to be flown the next day to Florida. Wow, that must have cost HAL a pretty penny, considering it was 2 days before Christmas. By entering the tracking numbers, we found that the bags are in a holding warehouse in Ft. Lauderdale until January 5th.

It has been a very busy time at home preparing for such a long absence. Fruit trees, ornamentals, and roses had to be pruned early. Weeds got sprayed and mowed. Outside plumbing in regards to our automatic watering system had to be fixed and covered to avoid any freezing problems. Been there....done that!! And we finally got around to replacing our roof this summer Well, it was exhausting!

So, are we ready to go??? YOU BET!!!

To be continued.........

Mary Ann & Bill

Thank you for taking the time and energy once again to do this for all of us who are unable to make the voyage with you in person. Your reports are so thorough and the descriptions so concise, it make me feel like I've been with you since the beginning. I'm looking forward to more of your wonderful adventures. Stay well!

Smooth Sailing! :):):)

I'm so excited you are starting your trip. I have been reading the past world cruise posts and am so excited to travel along with you guys again this year. I'm looking forward to when I can do a world cruise with my husband when we retire in 20 years. Thank you so much for letting us tag along now, it's so fun to dream!

I enjoyed reading your last year's posts while on the cruise so am again looking forward to reading this one especially when you reach South Africa as we are booked on a cruise next year which will take us from South Africa to Dover via many interesting ports.

I am also looking forward to hearing about your time in South Africa and Botswania as we are hoping to do a safari before we board our ship.

Happy cruising and Bon Voyage.

Jennie

First of all, happy sailings and may you have clear sailing!!

I really enjoyed your posting last year on the 2008 cruise!! You have a gift for insight and made each one of us feel that we were there with you.

One of these days, I hope that I can take this ultimate cruise, but until then, I will enjoy it from postings that you make!!

Bill and MaryAnn - we're green with envy that you get to go this year and we don't, but hopefully we'll all be sitting at the same dining table next year for 2010.

We're looking forward to following your thread, and we're really happy that YOU'RE writing it this year! We're also interested in finding out more about your trip to South Africa, since we'd like to set one up for next year. If you get a chance, could you email us something about it?

Say hi to Jeff and all the Cruise Critic folks. We're looking forward to the ride.

Bill and MaryAnn - we're green with envy that you get to go this year and we don't, but hopefully we'll all be sitting at the same dining table next year for 2010.

Hey...you got to go last year....you have to wait your turn:D.

Loved the account of your trip last year. I really felt like I was there.

Hi Bill and Mary Ann:

Bon Voyage and have a sensational cruise. I remember you from the 2007 GWV and more especially from our TA's 20th Anniversary Alaska cruise in July of 2007 when we had more time to get to know each other. I love your love of life and how you get so much enjoyment out of every moment of every day.

The World Cruise is just not for me - too many days, but I did do the 2008 Grand Asia/Australia cruise (65 days) and had a ton of fun in doing so - met so many wonderful people from all over the world, and every day was a new adventure.

Once again, have a sensational cruise and I will be following your blog avidly.

Fair winds and following seas, and may every day be a new adventure for you too.

Valerie:)

What a nice way to start the new year---reading your journal from the World Cruise! Second only to actually sailing the cruise, I guess.

Thank you so much for the time and energy I know your report will take. Not to mention the expense! It will be much appreciated.

Have a great time.

Dear MaryAnn and Bill,

We are looking forward to your next few posts with your reaction to the Rotterdam, before we join you on the 19th in LA. WOW! 16 bags! I have four bags (I must admit that two are large bags) to ship via the included luggage allotment and we will take three additional bags on the plane with us—and my DH says I have taken too much! Well, now I have evidence that we not only need what I have already packed, but more!

We are looking forward to our first CC meet and greet on the 20th in the Crows Nest. We are a smaller group of CCers this year than in the past two years. I guess the ship is not so full and that impacts CCers as well.

See you in a little over two weeks from today.

D/G

Thank you Thank you Thank you! Another report from the World Cruise. You're gracious in offering to take us all with you.

Blessings to you both and to those close to you as you make your voyage of discovery around the world. I pray that everything and everybody that stays home remain healthy and safe and that you have nothing but good health and joy in your journey.

Archived