A new HAL Blog! (Yes, I'm a HAL employee!)

DutchByAssociation

Could you please tell me if purchasing a meal plan is worth the price for a Alaska Cruise tour (7 day land tour, 3 day cruise)? Thanks for your reply.:)

Took the 3-day (land) and 7-day (cruise) combo in 2010 on Statendam, did not buy the meal plan and survived.:) The food on the train and in the hotels is excellent; don't forget the raindeer (aka Bambi) sausage!

• 3 weeks later...

I will be taking my 5th HAL cruise on 12/4 and I really don't care to cruise with any other line! I have, however, one complaint - the 5K Walks are for the Susan G. Komen fund in support of breast cancer. What about all the rest of the cancers?? I am living with stage 4 colon cancer, and I have met a number of other cancer survivors on HAL cruises, most of whom were going through other forms of cancer. I do not like HAL's supporting only breast cancer on all of her sailings!!! I wrote corporate after my last cruise in March 2011 suggesting that they support a group such as Stand Up To Cancer which funds research into all types of cancers. It just doesn't seem fair to support only one particular cancer and one particular group.

Can you shed any insight into this matter?

Anybody know what happened to Dutch By Association's blog? There hasn't been a new post (far as I can tell) since August.

I am concerned as well. The last DBA post on CC was 8/27 inresponse to me in another thread. Since then I have e-mailed twice and had no response. I hope all is well.

I am concerned as well. The last DBA post on CC was 8/27 inresponse to me in another thread. Since then I have e-mailed twice and had no response. I hope all is well.

Me too! he is missed!

We love Holland America, but just returned from a Princess Cruise to Alaska. I discovered that ALL Princess Ships are now offering Zumba on board--for free! Princess does not set it in the gym as an exercise program. Instead one of their dancers teaches the class in a lounge. It makes the offering similar to any other dance lesson class. I was told that Holland America has a contract with another company to cover all activities in their gyms. Using Princess' technique that company wouldn't have to be involved in the Zumba classes.

We are going on the 35 day Voyage of the Vikings cruise next summer (2012) on the Maasdam. I don't want to give up Zumba for all that time. It's just too much fun and such great aerobic exercise! Great way to work off the calories from all the yummy food on board too!!

After reading a number of threads on Cruise Critic, I know that there are a lot of other cruisers like me looking for Zumba. If Princess offers Zumba on all their ships, so should Holland America!!! Can you help with any suggestions on how to make this happen?!!

Thanks!!!!:)

I second the need for Zumba (free of charge) on HAL.

• 3 weeks later...

Any recent news on whether HAL will be permitted to sail to Antarctica after January 2013? I see only one cruise in December 2012 and one in January 2013 on the Veendam. On the Rotterdam in September, the cruise consultant kept saying that HAL was unsure about being allowed to cruise off the coast of Antarctica after that. Thanks! :)

• 4 weeks later...
Any recent news on whether HAL will be permitted to sail to Antarctica after January 2013? I see only one cruise in December 2012 and one in January 2013 on the Veendam. On the Rotterdam in September, the cruise consultant kept saying that HAL was unsure about being allowed to cruise off the coast of Antarctica after that. Thanks! :)

Unfortunately I cannot comment on any itineraries that are not published as they can change in the drop of a hat.

Archived