Is decorating your door tacky?

geneology

I agree with kf657 -- Life is short!! :eek: Got more replies than I expected.

I am going to decorate my door, will keep it under control and definitely wont mind if anything walks. My niece is celebrating her 1st wedding anniversary -- their door will really be decorated but not with anything offensive since I agree it is a public hallway.:cool:

Thanks for not chewing me up and spitting me out as I have seen done to others on other boards.:D

Last summer our family booked 10 cabins on the Mariner, so cute door signs helped us remember who was in each cabin. (My daughters and myself got them for the group as a surprise and everybody loved them). We had some "funny guys" switch them up one night, but overall it was very helpful and we got loads of compliments on them. I'm traveling over Easter break with only my daughter and will probably make another magnet for this trip.

I just got off the Glory and we had 22 cabins on the cruise that were together and we all had signs on our doors!! It really does help find your cabin quicker and its just plain fun!! Thats what vacations are all about..I don't mean to upset anyone. We are not drinkers so we don't need the signs to find our way home....and I don't think i've lost my mind yet!!!! But I will admit I had to make forward and aft signs to put on the inside of door to know which way to turn when I left the cabin...I never did get my head straight on which way to go!!! Just have fun...enjoy life..it's much too short to worry about the little stuff!!!!

I had magnets made up (50 so far) with a dolphin/water picture on them (Actual photograph) and "Eastern Caribbean November 2009) I will stick them on our door, and write on our white board "Please take a magnet". I think it's a fun idea for our next cruise.

My last (and only cruise) I simply had a Canadian Flag Magnet - and a dry erase board, neither walked away and we got nice messages from other PAX.

Our door was not overly decorated, but it was fun not to have a 'bare' door either. :D

The few doors I've seen decorated have been cute. They've announced newlyweds, anniversaries, birthdays. Some were just for fun - like fish stickers, memo boards.

I read the following on the back page of an NCL Freestyle Daily:

"Door Decorations: Be safe - overly decorated stateroom doors can pose a fire hazard, so please keep your decorations inside your room."

Might keep that in mind when sailing on that line. Don't know if this is something new, or if they've always asked their passengers to do this.

Some of the wedding/anniversary/birthday decorations I've seen were on NCL. Maybe they feel those are fine but other decorations are not? :confused::confused::confused:

I don't decorate my door and have never seen one decorated on all my 16 cruises. I don't know about it being tacky - to me it is sort of juvenile - reminds me of high school when you decorated a locker door. It wouldn't bother me if someone decorates their door - unless it was really way out and took away from the elegance of the ship.

I think if you want to decorate your cabin door, that's fine. I have seen doors decorated before, and thought it was a great idea, especially if your cabin is in the middle of one of those dreadfully long hallways.

To each their own. Some people cover their refrigerators at home with magnets and other stuff, some decorate their houses and yards seasonally, some like knomes or gazing balls in their yards or gardens. And some like to decorate their cabin door when on vacation. Live life to the fullest, with no regrets.

I had never thought to decorate the door on any of our cruises. I do have magnets all over my refrigerator (from Hawaii to Alaska to Masks from Venice) but just wouldn't think to do that on a cruise.

Then for our Med cruise in Oct '08, found out Princess will celebrate your birthday if you are within a month of it. My birthday was 9/27 and we sailed on 10/17 so we had cake in the dining room. When we returned to our cabin, there was a cluster of 3 balloons with "Happy Birthday" on them. They stayed until the end of the cruise, so guess that could be considered a door decoration, and that was done by Princess.

We are from Louisiana...Have only been on one Cruise and this one will be our 2nd...We decorated our door with Mardi Gras theme and had Mardi Gras lights on our balcony. Had loads of compliments....We put mardi gras beads on door each day for pax to take....Will probably do that again this time...Still have all the decorations.....:):):):)

Here's another vote for DECORATE!! Just did a holiday cruise and lots of doors had stuff on them. It was fun!!! and yes it does help find your stateroom when there is something recognizeable on the door!!

For several years we used to cruise in the couple of weeks before Christmas and I collect ornaments from each port. Since I couldn't resist I put them up each day in our room and by the end of the cruise our cabin steward was calling it the Christmas cabin! Even brought other crew to see it. Made it seem like home!! Now I have a whole Christmas tree full of nothing but ornaments from around the world.

OK, here is the only thing I'd put on our door:

* If the ship is rocking, Blame Us. :D:p:cool: *

LOL -- Best comment!!!:D

I don't know about it being tacky - to me it is sort of juvenile - reminds me of high school when you decorated a locker door.

My family thinks its juvenile too!! Now I will do it to annoy them!! Ohh thats juvenile too!!! :eek: LOL

I just cant win!!:cool:

I thought it was quite clever of the people that decorated their doors. I have every intention of decorated mine on my next cruise! Honestly, who can't use a little extra clue into which room is theirs..lol

Walking those long hallways looking at room numbers can be a bit boring...a flashy door puts an end to that!

It's all in fun and for those of you that think it is tacky or inappropriate.. Let loose and unwind, your on vacation!

I LOVE IT!!! :D

We decorate are door every time!!

We find our Cabin easy. Last cruise our next door cabin

thanked us for decorating our door. They could find there Cabin easy!!

And they will decorate theirs next cruise..

I could hear people passing our Cabin talking about how

FUN and cute our door was..

Have FUN!! DO IT!!

Only decorated the door once, when we took the Panama cruise. We had several cabins and with kids so it was easier to identify the cabin. Someone removed our magnets and they reappeared a couple of days later at the other end of the hallway. Actually people from our neighboring cabin told us where to find them.

Since this thread calls for strictly opinion since there is no rule, that I know of, by the cruise line regarding it.

Yes it is tacky! I don't feel that any guest has the right to use public space, and the outside of your door facing a hall is public space to decorate, advertise etc.

To those who have recieved positive comments on board, I don't doubt for a minute that there have been others who rolled their eyes as the passed your door but who is likely to say something negative to you about it, unless it was something obviously offensive. So just because you did not get negative comments doesn't mean there were not negative opinions of it.

I have seen people hang banners from their balcony in port as well, again very tacky.

So to the OP in answer to your question, There will be those on board who think it is fine and those who think it is not.

There will also be those that will remove such items from your door, and no, as much as I dislike them I don't but I have seen people do it, and especially kids do it.

I don't think you can say all decorations are tacky... that paints a pretty broad brush and everyone's tastes are different. I doubt anyone would bother rolling their eyes at a small print of the Adirondack Mountains that we put on our door to make it easier to find.... to react that way to such a benign image would be kind of nutty.

Also, my father who has Alzheimers finds it easier to get to his room if it is marked. I am guessing it would be a lot tackier if he tried to get into the wrong room.

As long as the decorations don't interfere with movement in the passageway, why not? We don't decorate, but that doesn't mean we think no one should. It's the ones that protrude (large balloons, pop-up things a foot high, etc.) that are a problem and annoyance (and apparently a fire hazard). Indeed, we have encountered doors decorated with the large mylar balloons and big fold-out/pop-up items. They are a pain to navigate by, especially if there are other pax passing. It's like all of a sudden being on a one-lane bridge; someone has to "pull over" to allow the other to pass by the hugely decorated door. To me, that is not okay. I know it's vacation and we should all relax, but there are limits. I've also seen cabin stewards trying to negotiate their carts and stuff in an effort not to hit or damage door decorations. I figure their jobs are already hard enough without pax adding more challenges. In fact, I once heard a pax cussing out a steward for "ruining" the cabin door decorations by accidently jarring something loose when keeping the door open for cleaning.

Other than the extremes that affect or interfere with others onboard, I can't see the harm in personalizing "your" door for the duration--Especially for someone who needs visual clues to find the right door.

beachchick

Archived