Took a "trial" dose of dramamine before my cruise

Did you try Dramamine or Dramamine 2? Dramamine 2 and Bonine are supposed to cause less drowsiness, active ingredient is Meclezine, which can be purchased as a Generic. I usually take one Meclezine in the evening and haven't had too much problem with drowsiness.

*yawn* To see how it would effect me.

this stuff is knocking me out.

See you after my nap.

I will NOT be taking this on my cruise :eek:

(unless it's at night and I'm having difficulty sleeping) :p

g'nite!

ahhh...nap time Zzzzzzz

Know how you feel, I have same problem, but not because of sea sickness, because of alergies. This time of the year I would rather suffer and I do, than take anything...

I have heard ginger pills work great for sea sickness, you may want to give them a try, just a thought...

Nita

Can you get Ginger Ale on most NCL ships? Or do you need to carry your own aboard. And although I doubt this, but if they do have Ginger Ale, what are the chances of them having Diet Ginger Ale?

Terry,

I usually pick up a box of the Waist Watchers Diet Ginger Ale and carry it on, I haven't seen them have it. I like the Waist Watchers because they use Splenda rather than Aspartame to sweeten it.:)

Terry,

I usually pick up a box of the Waist Watchers Diet Ginger Ale and carry it on, I haven't seen them have it. I like the Waist Watchers because they use Splenda rather than Aspartame to sweeten it.:)

Our next cruise leaves out of NY. I will have to see if I can find that or something like that in NY the day before we cruise so I can carry it on with us. We are really nervous about sea sickness this cruise because we will be in the Atlantic for the first two days and we have heard that can be rough.

See you after my nap.

g'nite!

ahhh...nap time Zzzzzzz

Try taking half a dose. I use Bonine, one each night at bedtime whether or not there are rough seas and it doesn't bother me even if I have a cocktail or two the next day/night. My sister can only take half a dose as a whole tab makes her sleepy. It's good you did that trial! Maybe since I take it at night the biggest punch is while I'm sleeping and the residual carries me through the next day.

Do you normally tend to get seasick or do you just not want to find out? Good luck with your trials.

I am The Queen of Motion Sickness, and ginger in any form does not work for me. Like you, I have a problem with Dramamine. It works, but makes me sleep.

I use Bonine. It keeps the nausea at bay and doesn't make me sleepy. You may want to do a trial run of it, too, to see if you have the same reaction that I do.

See you after my nap.

g'nite!

ahhh...nap time Zzzzzzz

How about the patch, you can get it from your doctor? I use it and it works great.:o

Try taking half a dose. I use Bonine, one each night at bedtime whether or not there are rough seas and it doesn't bother me even if I have a cocktail or two the next day/night. My sister can only take half a dose as a whole tab makes her sleepy. It's good you did that trial! Maybe since I take it at night the biggest punch is while I'm sleeping and the residual carries me through the next day.

Do you normally tend to get seasick or do you just not want to find out? Good luck with your trials.

That is actully what Doug does the first moment he feels like he is going to be seasick. He will take one half of the dose and then for the rest of the cruise he will take 1/2 in the morning and 1/2 in the evening and that way he gets the benefits of not being seasick, but doesn't feel that sleepy.

Hi,

I just wanted to mention that ginger does work for lots of people, but that many "ginger ales" do not contain ginger anymore, so check your ingredients. Also, you have to drink a lot of sugary or artificially sweetened beverages to get a little bit of ginger. I have used the ginger tables for this reason.

We always take ginger capsules -- we start taking them the day before (the day we fly to the port) and we take them 2- 3 times a day -- at mealtime -- while on board the ship. The dosage varies according to the strength, so be sure to read the back of the bottle, so you will know how many times a day to take them. The roughest water cruises for us -- out of Anchorage and on the Great Lakes (who would have thought that -- not us) -- the ginger pills have worked just great. I had a very bad problem with being sea sick, and most everything else just made me toooooo sleepy. I have never tried the patch, but, as everyone else on this board can verify, LOTS AND LOTS of people on board swear by them!

DH and I use TripTone - available at any scuba dive shop or on the internet. It's used by scuba divers who tend to get seasick on the boat out to the dive site (DH is one of those divers:D); it's totally non-drowsy and we swear by it.

It's for sure not the cheapest product out there but it's the only one we've found with zero side-effects.

The other thing about meclizine is you can start taking a half dose a day say a week in advance and you are totally adjusted to it by cruise time. If you suffer from post cruise woozies, Mal de dbarkment syndrome or how ever it is spelled, I get it big time, sometimes for months, keep taking the meclizine. I buy it in 100 tablet bottles.

How about the patch, you can get it from your doctor? I use it and it works great.:o

Me too!

I am a "patch girl". ;)

I also bring some chrystallized ginger...I pop a piece now and then and it helps and I like the way it tastes!

When we sailed transatlantic on the QM2, they had a plate of ginger at dinner each night.

We just got back from our very first cruise. I was really concerned about motion sickness and had all the stuff suggested on these boards with me - didn't have to use a one! I took the chance and was very glad I did, be sure you have a problem before taking the meds, just might be OK.

I started taking ginger pills 1 week before my cruise and the day of I took a Bonine also took one the next morning and that was all I needed....my last 2 cruises before that I was down and out my first 2 days before I got my sea legs

For those of you who can use the patch succesfully, congratulations!

My DD tried using it and had horribly blurry vision. She couldn't even focus enough to read the menu in the dining room -- and they're not very small print. We have a friend who use to use them, but his skin is oily, and he couldn't keep it on.

Archived