Any truth to this rumor?

I've heard that due to the economy and in the interest of cutting costs, that ALL the cruise lines are reducing their use of the ship's stabilizers, thus causing a considerable increase of motion that one might feel when the ship is at sea. Don't know if there's any truth to this but has anybody experienced this?

I do think they use them less but frankly, they're not going to have much onboard revenue if people are sick in their rooms. This isn't actually a new rumour and it hits some lines more than others but I imagine they have to strike a balance with fuel savings and the likelihood of a guest returning.

I've heard that due to the economy and in the interest of cutting costs, that ALL the cruise lines are reducing their use of the ship's stabilizers, thus causing a considerable increase of motion that one might feel when the ship is at sea. Don't know if there's any truth to this but has anybody experienced this?

Where did you hear this rumor?

Stabilizers are used based on weather and sea conditions. They'd never put the ship and it's passengers at risk by not using them.

They will, however, slow down.....making less stablizing action needed.

Back to the stabilizers....

I work at the Key West Harbor and routinely deal with cruise ships and their crews. Here's what I know. Every individual cruise ship Captain manages his/her own ship and use of stabilizers. Not one single cruise line has given a blanket order to stop using them, or to decrease their usage.

It is true that a few lines/ships have cut port times to order to cruise at slower speeds, but the stabilizer rumor is not true.

I work at the Key West Harbor and routinely deal with cruise ships and their crews. Here's what I know. Every individual cruise ship Captain manages his/her own ship and use of stabilizers. Not one single cruise line has given a blanket order to stop using them, or to decrease their usage.

It is true that a few lines/ships have cut port times to order to cruise at slower speeds, but the stabilizer rumor is not true.

And that should lay to rest this latest baseless rumor.

Thanks, Paul. :)

I heard, just today, that if you cut open a 6v lantern battery, there are 32 AA's inside. Considering the price difference, it's quite a savings. Don't know if it's true or not, but fortunately, as soon as I get my $12 million from my long lost Nigerian relative, I won't have to worry about it.

PS - your post is a re-hash of a rumor from when oil was well over $100/barrel. That's not the case any more.

Pretty much 100% right out of the mouth of one captain...and he said his #1 priority is passenger comfort above all else. I think that is why he has a happy crew and many happy pax.

Also, RCCL usually only does 3 stops on most 7 night cruises, thus the increased drag and resulting slower speed does not affect the ability to make ports, just total fuel consumption...so they can use the stabs to keep it comfortable and make all ports, just a bit of extra fuel.

With fuel back in check as far as cost goes, the extra cost is not a real big deal with compared to the comfort, which does lead to happier pax who are out and about spending. How many sick folks do you see downing a bucket of beer at the pool? Of course that could be why they are sick. :D

that makes sense. when we were on LOS a couple of weeks ago, one of the CC posters at the meet and mingle asked one the assistant cruise directors if the Captain was using the stabilizers and he responded no. The boat was rocking, not horrible, but it was rocking.

by the way, crude oil prices have jumped from $38 on Monday to $51 on Thursday.

I think, considering the source of the info given to the OP, she has plenty of reason to be skeptical. Any time you hear or read that "all cruise lines are doing it" my doubt antennae start to quiver. Unless, of course, "all cruise lines .........carry passengers, sail the seas, serve food etc then I believe:D

that makes sense. when we were on LOS a couple of weeks ago, one of the CC posters at the meet and mingle asked one the assistant cruise directors if the Captain was using the stabilizers and he responded no. The boat was rocking, not horrible, but it was rocking.

by the way, crude oil prices have jumped from $38 on Monday to $51 on Thursday.

As I said when we were on the Royal Promenade, it was kind of a funny view to see everyone stray to the right.. and then to the left.. with the rocking of the boat. :D

The rocking was noticeable at times, but we never really hit rough seas, at all.

Archived