Suits or Blazers

garyc20

Everyone..please help..

My wife told me if I can get 6 NO's I do not have to bring a Blazer or a Suit.

Gary, seriously the answer is NO!

Look, last time I cruised on the Nautica, there were SOME men wearing a blazer or jacket to dinner...usually the older set...people set in their ways about "dressing nice" for dinner...But I would say the majority did not...

Don't dress like a slob...no t-shirts or sweat suits... but...

If you wear some dockers and a sports shirt, you will fit in quite nicely...

The way I look at it, we fly halfway around the world for a total three-week vacation with limited luggage space and weight...sports coats are heavy and take up a lot of luggage space...Plus, for us, we'll be in the Mediterranean in June/July...It's HOT...one of the nice things about Oceania is that we DON'T have to wear all that extra formal stuff...

Bring some nice shirts...not dress shirts, just nice...if you had a jacket, you'd be taking it off and hanging it on your chair anyway...

Never saw anyone in a suit on our two cruises. Saw two men in blazers at the Captain's Cocktail Party on the first cruise. Saw No One in a blazer on the second cruise.

Your count is up to 5 (all different people) or 8!

Do I really need one???

No you really dont need one,however.We have been traveling the world since 1984 mostly all cruiseing.Back then it was fahionable to travel with a nice blue or dark color blazer. Today I still get on a plane bound for europe or S.A. or Asia and I still where a blazer. Two reasons.First I have more pockets to carry stuf.Second I find when I arrive at a nice hotel around the world it makes a statment.I use the BLUE BLAZZER in restauants in hotels and else where.It never gets packed in my baggage.To date on my last 3 O cruises Ive worn it maybe 2 times. But since its never in my baggage it does not take up space.

No you really dont need one,however.We have been traveling the world since 1984 mostly all cruiseing.Back then it was fahionable to travel with a nice blue or dark color blazer. Today I still get on a plane bound for europe or S.A. or Asia and I still where a blazer. Two reasons.First I have more pockets to carry stuf.Second I find when I arrive at a nice hotel around the world it makes a statment.I use the BLUE BLAZZER in restauants in hotels and else where.It never gets packed in my baggage.To date on my last 3 O cruises Ive worn it maybe 2 times. But since its never in my baggage it does not take up space.

Ahhhhh, Acrusa, we come from "different worlds"...

I have been "traveling the world" virtually all of my life...My first trip to Europe, for example, was in 1975...I do remember, as a kid back in the 50s, men dressing in suits and ties to fly on an airplane...when I see old films of this today I think "how silly!"...Today, when traveling, it makes more sense to be comfortable...I dress very light to fly--especially shoes I can slip off and on easily--thank you to the increased security. I carry very little in pockets--less to empty into those bins at the airport metal detectors. And, when I'm on a cruise, I carry very little...To bring stuff with me on the plane, I carry a small knapsack as a carry on...fits far more than sports coat pockets...and stashes under the seat or in the overhead bin...While touring in foreign cities, I wear "cargo shorts"--lots of pockets--but with velcro and snaps and zippers to close them...and close to my body and in the front--tougher on pickpockets than those blazer pockets...

As to "making a statement" when I walk into a hotel, I walk in wearing my cargo shorts, a UCLA or other T-shirt, white gym socks and my slip on Merrell Mocs...It makes the statement that "gee, I'm here, I'm on vacation, I'm comfortable and I am secure enough that I don't have to impress anyone...I expect service and proper treatment because 1) I convey that with self confidence and 2) I'm paying the danged bill!

I really don't think a blue blazer makes any great statement anymore...In some places, it makes a statement that you're a "tourist", inviting the locals to charge you higher prices, sometimes inviting disdain, sometimes attracting the pickpockets and con artists...

Times have changed...What may have been true 30 years ago isn't today...When I see a man wearing a coat and tie on an airplane today, I assume he is on a business trip and he's heading straight from the airport to a business meeting in some corporate office...People on vacation want to relax and dress comfortably...and Oceania affords you the opportunity to do that all cruise long...

JMHO

You must look fantastic.All i am saying for me when i travel on an airplane i like to be comfortable, not like im in my living room ready to watch a giant game.I can be neat and relaxed as the next one. I do not tour in a suit or blazer . I am only talking about flying.

Do I really need one???

Absolutely NOT unless you are going someplace OFF the ship which requires one. I took one for my first two "O" cruises and never used it. For my third "O" cruise I did not take one and didn't miss it.

I confess that I personally vote for something between (1) a blue blazer (Long Island poster) and (2) cargo shorts, t-shirt, and white gym socks (CA poster) when walking into hotels in Europe or anywhere else for that matter!:D

Perhaps I have lived for too many years now between the two coasts!

Ah, Bruin Steve, I love you, man! Now could you please go to the thread in the Europe section, Mediterranean ports, and weigh in with your comments...there are some silly-nillys over there buying into the oft-repeated but unsubstantiated myth that the Europeans dress better than the Americans. Helloooo, we're on vacation when we're in Europe...the Europeans are at home, in the cities where they work, with their closets at their disposal! Come to southern California in the summer and I'll defy you to point out the well-dressed Europeans in the entrance line at Disneyland!

But what anyone wears in the entrance line to Disneyland (as well as on Santorini, Mykonos, Malta and other Mediterranean islands) is not what anyone is disputing/discussing on those threads, but rather what some believe is appropriate dress in Rome or Istanbul and other major cities in both Europe and the U.S.

As I opined a couple of posts ago, there indeed is a lot of room between the blue blazer and the tee shirt/cargo shorts sightseer.

Happy travels!

As my wife frequently tells me; "You're not in charge of anybody but you"

That doesn't keep me from having opinions on most subjects, but my opinions aren't binding on them.

Archived