Wennfreds non tipper list,now big news gone worldwide

steveaaaaa

They should not know. I am glad that Carnival got embarrassed over this, maybe they will change their policy regarding circulating that list now. Just because a person does not do the Auto tipping does not mean that he is not tipping those that deserve it the most.

My understanding is supervisors are advised of removal of the auto tip because cruiselines assume this removal is due to bad service. The supervisor can then grill the crew member(s) to determine why the passenger removed the tip and what the crew member is doing wrong. I don't think it has anything to do with people not tipping.

It wouldn't surprise me if crew members are "punished" if a certain percent of their passengers remove the autotip by being given a warning, assigned extra work, etc.

My understanding is supervisors are advised of removal of the auto tip because cruiselines assume this removal is due to bad service. The supervisor can then grill the crew member(s) to determine why the passenger removed the tip and what the crew member is doing wrong. I don't think it has anything to do with people not tipping.

It wouldn't surprise me if crew members are "punished" if a certain percent of their passengers remove the autotip by being given a warning, assigned extra work, etc.

They're being punished by not getting tipped.

Carnival keeps a cruise history of everyone who has cruised with them. Who knows, maybe if you remove tips its part of your history and follows you on your next cruise to let the crew know who has removed tips in the past.

LOL - I can only HOPE!!!

Maybe I'll finally get the recognition I deserve.:p :rolleyes:

Whoa!!!!

Never say to anyone that they might be on Dateline!!

:eek:

bbbbut I was just going to pay in cash, Mr. Hansen, honest.:o

I emailed a friend a Carnival about this issue. Here's his reply:

Hi Mach:

Here's some information regarding this subject. It is not standard protocol for information regarding which guests have removed the pre-paid gratuities from their shipboard accounts to be provided to crew members during the course of a voyage. Crew members do not receive this information until after the voyage is completed and guests have disembarked. In this particular instance, the information should not have been posted and shoreside management is in communication with this vessel to ensure that it doesn't happen again. We appreciate that this was brought to our attention.

Hope this is helpful. Any questions, please let me know.

LOL! Good lord people have such imaginations:p

Just for the record; we were not asked for permission by the Daily Mail to use it. And, if we were, our policy would be to direct the request to the member (in this case, Wennfred).

Laura

That's good to know, LauraS. Thank you for clarifying for us!

This thread has become very interesting. People ARE NOT commenting on the original subject. Everyone is now arguing voer Copyright of Internet postings. God, is everyone trying to play Captain Lawyer or something.

I guess when you cant argue intelligently the original issue, you try to divert it away with Petty childish BS like did someone have COPYRIGHT permission to post something.

BTW, the only avenue for copyright infringement is FEDERAL COURT. And that will require Ten's of thousands of $$$$.

So bottom line is ONCE AGAIN CARNIVAL is showing it's CHEAPSKATE ways and are fumbling for DAMAGE CONTROL. I am personally against their tipping policy & such. I know that the people that get them WORK THEIR ASSES off. But Carnival should pay them fairly & quit Nickeling & Dime'ing guest to death. The thing that got me recently was when I bought a Bottle of Water while getting off the ship for a Port call & they charged me a 15% Gratituty. They had these things in a TRASH BARRELL full of ice. I grabbed it & just showed them my S&S card. TOTAL RIP-OFF.

If it hadn't been for the over the top service I received from my Stewards & Waiters, I would have reduced my gratituies because of BS like above. Carnival is it's own worst enemy.

This thread has become very interesting. People ARE NOT commenting on the original subject. Everyone is now arguing voer Copyright of Internet postings. God, is everyone trying to play Captain Lawyer or something.

I guess when you cant argue intelligently the original issue, you try to divert it away with Petty childish BS like did someone have COPYRIGHT permission to post something.

BTW, the only avenue for copyright infringement is FEDERAL COURT. And that will require Ten's of thousands of $$$$.

So bottom line is ONCE AGAIN CARNIVAL is showing it's CHEAPSKATE ways and are fumbling for DAMAGE CONTROL. I am personally against their tipping policy & such. I know that the people that get them WORK THEIR ASSES off. But Carnival should pay them fairly & quit Nickeling & Dime'ing guest to death. The thing that got me recently was when I bought a Bottle of Water while getting off the ship for a Port call & they charged me a 15% Gratituty. They had these things in a TRASH BARRELL full of ice. I grabbed it & just showed them my S&S card. TOTAL RIP-OFF.

If it hadn't been for the over the top service I received from my Stewards & Waiters, I would have reduced my gratituies because of BS like above. Carnival is it's own worst enemy.

The original subject of THIS thread was that Fred's picture was used on a web site article.

:rolleyes:

The thing that got me recently was when I bought a Bottle of Water while getting off the ship for a Port call & they charged me a 15% Gratituty. They had these things in a TRASH BARRELL full of ice. I grabbed it & just showed them my S&S card. TOTAL RIP-OFF.

You should have just removed the tip from that receipt. You have the ability to adjust that 15% on ANY bar bill.

Fred will be commenting on this thread when he is finished taping Oprah later today.

HAHHAHAHAHHA!

From my old newspaper work days:

If it bleeds, it leads.

Good for Fred for bringing it into the light. Carnival needs to change their "tipping" policy.

Add it on as a service charge in the cruise fare. I'll still be tipping additional in cash.

Carnival...I see your hiney!

Its the cruiseline that is stiffing the crew.They have the power to stop it.Why would you want to cruise with a cruiseline that allows their hard working crew to be stiffed?

Steve

In almost every tipping situation I can think of, Steve, the employer ALLOWS their employees to be stiffed. The single exception, to my knowledge, being when it states on the menu of some restaurants that its group policy is to add 10-15% to every check for large groups on ONE CHECK.

Its up to the employees to try to prevent "stiffing" from happening. :) Its called providing excellent service. In a free society, if the employee doesn't like this arrangement, he/she is FREE to seek employment elsewhere. That's Capitalism. :D

MAYBE the list is posted showing the people who took the tip off on the prior cruise. As in, "HEY everybody! This is how many people were unhappy with us last week! Let's work harder this week to make everybody happy with Carnival"

As for the specific names being listed, don't kid yourself. If there is a pattern for tip removal with say, a specific Steward, Management will and should address that. As far as that being posted in the kitchen, well, you know peer pressure works well on captive employees.

There is a Wall of Shame at my job!

MAYBE the list is posted showing the people who took the tip off on the prior cruise. As in, "HEY everybody! This is how many people were unhappy with us last week! Let's work harder this week to make everybody happy with Carnival"

As for the specific names being listed, don't kid yourself. If there is a pattern for tip removal with say, a specific Steward, Management will and should address that. As far as that being posted in the kitchen, well, you know peer pressure works well on captive employees.

There is a Wall of Shame at my job!

I emailed a friend at Carnival regarding this and I posted this at the bottom of the previous page but I suspect that some folks may have missed it:

Hi Mach:

Here's some information regarding this subject. It is not standard protocol for information regarding which guests have removed the pre-paid gratuities from their shipboard accounts to be provided to crew members during the course of a voyage. Crew members do not receive this information until after the voyage is completed and guests have disembarked. In this particular instance, the information should not have been posted and shoreside management is in communication with this vessel to ensure that it doesn't happen again. We appreciate that this was brought to our attention.

Hope this is helpful. Any questions, please let me know.

You should have just removed the tip from that receipt. You have the ability to adjust that 15% on ANY bar bill.

Well.... someone had to get the trash bin, and fill it with ice.... and keep the bottles of water stocked and cold...

I don't like paying $3 for a bottle of water at the best of times, but 50 cents to be split with all the staff? I am kinda OK with that....

Well.... someone had to get the trash bin, and fill it with ice.... and keep the bottles of water stocked and cold...

How much would you tip the guy at the end of the pier with a bin filled with ice with the bottles of water stocked and cold?

I would think the only ones that have egg on their face have been those that have been saying no such list exists.

KUDOS to Carnival!

So you're saying that it's great that Carnival calls out people who may want to tip at the end of the cruise in cash in place of putting it on their S&S card? Do those guests deserve to receive crappy service throughout their cruise because they choose to tip a different way or be singled out like they have the plague? Totally ridiculous.

Archived