RomeInLimo questions

jalynn

We were just in Rome and toured on our own. I did order tickets for The Vatican Muserum ahead of time, but when we went there I think we could have just walked in and bought some, or had a very short (2-5) person line.

This was on a Monday in April; it probably depends on the time of year, but I'd trust RIL--we used them for Pisa/Florence and they were excellent.

We are using Rome In Limo for all of our tours when we are in Rome in August. I received an email from them this week and they advised me to purchase Vatican tickets on-line and gave me this link:

http://biglietteriamusei.vatican.va/musei/tickets/do?action=booking&codiceTipoVisita=26&step=2

Interesting. Are you hiring the separate guide? I wonder if that is the difference.

Rome to Pompeii is possible in one day. I thought Pompeii was one of the most incredible places I've ever seen. As far as RIL, I've used them based on recommendations on this board and they were excellent. We're heading over to Italy in December and we have two tours booked with them now. Can't wait. You will be very pleased.

I have booked tours in Rome and Naples with Rome in Limo. We leave in a few days. Should I purchase tickets to the Colosseum/Catacombs/Pompeii on my own, go through Rome in Limo or? We're not visiting the Vatican.

For both Colosseum our driver bought our tickets when we arrived. At Pompeii we were there at opening and bought our ourselves.

I have booked tours in Rome and Naples with Rome in Limo. We leave in a few days. Should I purchase tickets to the Colosseum/Catacombs/Pompeii on my own, go through Rome in Limo or? We're not visiting the Vatican.

We just returned from a wonderful cruise on the Jade for 7 days in the Western Meditteranian. On that trip I booked RomeInLimo for all days private tours in Florence,

Rome, and Naples. They arranged for guides at the Vatican and at Pompei.

Everyone in our group decided that I was the hero of the trip for booking us with Romeinlimo.

Our drivers/guides were Vinny in Florence, a different Vinny in Rome, and Gusseppi in Naples. All of the drivers spoke good English and were very knowledgeable of their regions. None of us had been to the area before so we just told them to show us as much as possible in the time we had to spend. We saw every major tourist place and many small places as a bonus. We saw Pisa, David at the Academie, a Tuscunany wine and olive oil farm, the Collisium, Spanish steps, Trevi fountain, Circus Maximus, the Vatiucan,Sistine Chapel, St Peters, Pompei , the Amafili coast and a lot more.

The drivers were fun and professional in every respect. They knew their business and they appeared to enjoy sharing their knowledge with us. They made the tours a huge delight by getting us very close to most major sites and reduce the walking. We saw so much more for just a little more money than the tour bus charge, I negotiated with them upfront for a small discount because we booked all three ports with them and told them that the three men were all large. They gave me the 8 person van for more room because of booking all the ports. The vans were clean and well maintained and could these guys drive! They drove in areas that I thought a bike would have trouble.

Would absolutely encourage you to use Rome In Limo as a first class way to see the area for a very reasonable cost. The guides they arranged in the Vatican and in Pompeii were extremely knowledgable and fun peole also. It was great to just let them make all the arrangements and just be able to enjoy the tour.

I would give them a 5 plus rating on scale of 1-5. We tipped each driver a full 20% because of the fantastic service and their appreciation was very obvious. Good people good company equaled a great tour.

Their drivers know the best place to buy the tickets and will take you there. You then purchase your own tickets. Rome in Limo does not actually purchase the tickets for you. We did not have to wait in line for any tickets. In Pompeii you will benefit having a guide, not just the driver. Rome in Limo will arrange for the guide if requested.

I must throw my "2 cents in"! I love, love, love RIL!

I have used RIL a number of times and have booked five tours with them for our October trip to Italy. There will be 10 & 12 of us. I wouldn't think of using anyone else for Italy. I only wish they were in other countries as well.

We had excellent service, great drivers all very knowledgeable, accomodating and friendly. We felt as if we had new friends and family in Italy when our tours were over. The attention to detail was fantastic, and all persons went well "above & beyond" anything we expected.

We had Vinny in Florence as well, taking us to the best Gelato ever!! We had a great day. Our driver; Giovanni in Naples was great also, he took us to a restaurant for lunch that he takes his family to in Positano. Great food and wine as well as the view. We had wine and snacks where we pulled off road along the drive on the Amalfi Coast, compliments of Giovanni. He took pictures of all of us with this beautiful background. It was truely a day that none of us will forget.

Jany is by her computer 24/7 I think, as she is always so prompt in answering my many questions! They are very accomodating, Jany & Duman have put together a tour for us out of Rome to go to a Tuscan Winerey for a tour as well as for food (4 courses) and the coresponding wines for each course of the meal. This for a Sunday, as it is the only day we had left to do something and we all wanted to do this very much. There are 10 of us doing this one. I am sooo looking forward to doing this, I can hardly wait.

Sorry, I didn't mean to run on, but feel strongly about this company. They far exceed the others i have used for Italy.

You will not be disappounted!

Rz :)

We are booked for two full day Rome tours with RIL @360eu per day. Since it's just the two of us what would be the customary tip?

I just asked Duman from Rome In Limo this question. He responded that 10-20% for good service is the usual tip.

After reading all of the glowing reviews, we can't wait to use RIL in August.

We are using RIL exclusively for our 4 days in Rome. We have booked these transfers and tours:

Pick up from FCO to Hotel

Vatican

Full day tour of the city, all the main sites, including Catacombs and the Appian Way

Tivoli, Villa Adriano, Villa D'este

Etruscan tour and transfer to pier

I think we will get a good sampling of Rome and the surrounding area.

I am sure that it would take years to see everything in this part of the world that is so rich in history.

We will toss a coin in Trevi fountain and hopefully we will return someday!;)

I'm not arguing with Duman's 10-20% tip remark, but I used a different company on a full day tour from Rome to Naples and Pompeii and back a few years ago, and when I tipped the driver 10% he was extremely appreciative. Since we had just spent 14 hours with him, I didn't feel uncomfortable asking him what the typical tip was. He said any tip was greatly appreciated, but 5% was the norm and 10% was very high. We (8 of us) had spent 600 euro on the trip so I was thrilled that HE was thrilled!

We used RIL for our stay in Rome and cruise around Italy -- transfers plus full day tours in Tuscay (2 days), Messina, and Naples. Duam and Jany are absolutely wonderful to deal with in planning, and all of our driver/guides were extraordinary. RIL doubled the enjoyment of our vacation.

You really don't need a separate guide in Rome anywhere else but the Vatican -- and there I would strongly recommend using one. If RIL is taking your around Rome for the day, ask them to arrange for the Vatican guide.

The other place a separate guide is essential is Pompeii. Like the Vatican -- there is so much to see and information to digest -- the way to make the most of this is to have a professionally licensed guide for the site.

As for gratuities, you will certainly want to do tip your drivers and guides because you will get so much out of their efforts. Gratuities are personal, and so it is difficult to say how much to tip. Others on this post have pointed out that in most cases the tips are very much appreciated, regardless of the amount; that has certainly been my experience. Others have indicated that some driver/guides expect a tip -- and I think that this is probably true -- but if they know they did a good job, why shouldn't they expect something extra? They deserve it -- and most people offer it. In our case, I think we used a 10% gratuity as a general guide but always rounded up to the next 5-euro per person mark.

David

Poss: I have used the other company and they were "fine". I have no complaints, I just believe that RIL far exceed others in service and in thier personnel.

I have a theory in regards to the tipping: :Donce you have experienced RIL I think you may feel that a greater tip is the norm as the service is so much more than you expected. We definitely wanted to tip more, it certainly wasn't an obligation. All of us were sad to see the day end and having to say goodbye to our drivers. They became friends. I am serious when I say they made us feel like family. We are so looking forward to our trip in October!

Rz :)

We used Rome in Limo two years ago for several tours in Italy. Our drivers were true fonts of knowledge answering all our questions, giving us tons of information about Rome and the other cities, history, culture, etc. We did have a guide for the Vatican, and she was wonderful...an art history major. She packed so much into our time with her...I cannot imagine doing the Vatican on my own. As to tipping, that is a personal decision. I believe we always tipped 10 %, maybe a little more.

RIL does, I believe, have a day trip to Pompei. We had taken a ship's excursion for that tour, and while it was very good and our guide was very informative, the larger sized group made it more difficult to ask questions, etc.

We were so pleased with RIL that we are heading back to Rome for an eastern med cruise and we have booked RIl every day for our 3 day stay in Rome.

We just got back from a Med Cruise on Voyager of the Seas and used RIL for Naples, Rome and Florence. We also used them to get us a guide for the Vatican. I truly believe that the guide for the Vatican is essential. RIL exceeded our expectations and I would highly recommend them.

I was in a group of 64 from Ohio, USA. I was the one who introduced our group to Romeinlimo services. I think our group ended up using 6 vehicles. I was very nervous as to what the outcome would be, but at the same time, I felt confident because I couldn't find one bad remark about Romeinlimo. As a result, I'm the local hero. The gentleman who is head of the travel agency and many others said that when they return to Italy or know someone going there, they will HIGHLY recommend them. We had Giovanni in Naples, Vincenzo in Rome, Vinciano (spelling?) in Florence and Paula for The Vatican Tour. All three showed professionalism and we felt thoroughly taken care of. Their passion and knowledge for what they do was the icing on the cake. Every bit worth the cost. MANY THANKS! OH YES, and hats off to Jany - her immediate responses put us all at ease from the start.

Hopefully, we will see them again. The country Italy and people are so beautiful and we could take a lesson from your way of life.

We just got back from a Med Cruise on Voyager of the Seas and used RIL for Naples, Rome and Florence. We also used them to get us a guide for the Vatican. I truly believe that the guide for the Vatican is essential. RIL exceeded our expectations and I would highly recommend them.

Marie and I were in Brett's group of 8 and I will echo the sentiments. RIL made Naples, Rome, Pisa and Florence a special trip for us. We were able to see and experience the sights I have always wanted to see in Italy. We had Sarah as our guide in the Vatican and she was a god send (pun intented). She was knowlegable, personable and right away took control of our group. That was necessary if we wanted to see everything as the muesum was incredibly crowded. Our group went to the Vatican on Wednesay which is the pope's audience day. The muesum is closed in the morning during the audience so that makes it extra crowded that afternoon. But Sarah was like Moses parting the Red Sea in getting us through the crowds and around the muesum. Exhausting but so much fun! :D

I used Romeinlimo this past October for a large group. We had 5 mini vans for out Naples trip, they were wonderful. I would not wait to book as they are very popular and book up fast. We did book 4 tours and a transfer and received a discount. I will be using them again when we go back to Italy in 2011, they made you feel like family and we got to see all and more then we expected. You can't go wrong with them, Jany was very good at answering all our questions and emailing me back very quickly. Don't hesitate to book with them you will be glad but don't wait to long or you will loose out on a terrific tour company. Linda

We, too, are just off the Voyager of the Seas 5/2/10. We used Rome in Limo in Naples - and I would have to say - the best part of our entire cruise. CARMINE is the BEST! We shared a tour with a young couple we met here on cruise critic and then on our ship. Carmine was there as soon we got off the ship - and immediately we were off in our Mercedes for our adventure of the Amalfi coastline. He brought us a bottle of Limoncello as a gift.... but this was not all he had in store for us. We stopped at a beautiful village called Ravello, Amalfi, Portofino and Sorrento. He knew of a very rustic family-owned and oeprated "trattoria" in the hills of Portofino where we had an amazing Italian lunch - all homemamde by "Mama" who we met and photographed.

The views for the restaurant were as breathtaking as the homemade lunch she prepared -a long with GREAT red and white wine.

I highly recommend Rome In Limo - But particularly CARMINE! He also stopped on the way back and gave each couple a bottle of red and a bottle of white wine for a parting gift! The most wonderful guide and tour!

I originally looked into booking RomeinLimo services based on Cruise Critic reviews. My wife (Teresa) and I were considering a post-cruise stay in Rome and had heard that a car and driver were essential to making the most of our short stay. So we contacted RomeinLimo and were immediately pleased with the service and professionalism that flowed effortlessly back into our e-mail Inbox. It made us feel that we had made the right choice.

So I posted on our Roll Call a request for one other couple to share the ride, and before I knew it we had 80+ passengers from Equinox availing themselves of RomeinLimo's expertise on May 3rd and 4th of this year. Apparently many of of our Roll Call members were already familiar with RiL.

The logistics could easily have overwhelmed a less diligent service provider. Even Celebrity doesn't offer direct pier-to-hotel front door transportation; they simply park the bus in a reasonably central location and leave pax to find their way from there. No fools they.

But Jany (RiL's seemingly inexhaustible office manager) and Duman (the irrepressible and enthusiastic owner of RiL) managed to seamlessly deliver each and every one of our diverse group precisely to their individual destinations, at a very reasonable price and in fine style. And like "tetaf" I have been the happy recipient of many compliments for the way that RomeinLimo took care of us. While I deeply appreciate such kindness, the thanks should all go to Duman, Jany and their astonishing desire to provide service excellence.

It was all sorts of fun watching Duman and his drivers on the pier on May 3. Teresa and I got off the ship well ahead of time, just in case some of our group got a bit lost. No worries; Duman and his fleet had everything under control to such a point that the untrained observer might be led to believe that RiL was running the pier (!).

As for the actual service that was delivered to us, I'll give you a few examples:

1) I overheard a (married) woman in our group tell her husband, after seeing her driver, "Honey, you can stay on the ship; I'm going with the HIM!". Cute. But it served to underscore that all the drivers (and we had lots of them) were pleasant, charming, polished and obviously at the top of their game. They are good at what they do, and they clearly enjoy meeting people for the first time.

2) A group of 4 had never heard of RomeinLimo before but took advantage of our group transfer to Rome. Before they even got to their hotel they had enjoyed the services to such an extent that they asked the driver to stay with them for the rest of the day and guide them around the sights of Rome. And naturally RomeinLimo juggled things around to make it happen. Bear in mind that the price difference between a simple group transfer and a 1/2 day personalized tour is substantial. But that should give you some idea as to the calibre of drivers engaged by RiL, even for modest assignments. Wow.

3) When it finally came time for our full-day tour on May 4th, Teresa and I were pretty excited. But that kind of excitement has its pitfalls too (such as seeing the "must-see" movie) so we were a bit cautious at the same time.

No need. We had Onofrio (hope we spelled that right), whose easy demeanour had us totally relaxed and loving our day within moments of meeting him. His knowledge was immense without being overpowering, his driving as smooth as whipped butter, and we quickly understood why RomeinLimo has such a loyal fan base; they are at the top of their game.

Please bear in mind that we are travellers who look for value. Some people interpret this to mean that we are frugal. But to us value means that the experience we get should be worth the money we invest. So while we don't spend much time bottom-feeding for "deals", we rarely--if ever-- go whole hog, either.

At first blush, the RomeinLimo full-day tour complete with Sara (our private Vatican guide) appeared to be leaning precariously close to the "whole hog" side of the equation. But guess what? After being home for a couple of weeks, there is no doubt in our minds that the RomeinLimo experience was THE single best part of entire transatlantic cruise + post-cruise stay in Rome.

I would heartily, and without reservation of any kind, recommend RomeinLimo to anybody looking to make the most of their time in Italy. You'll be in very good & capable hands.

Now all we need to do is get Duman over here and do some Fortune 500 management training for some of these corporate behemoths who have forgotten how to provide true service.

Happy Cruising,

Alan (and Teresa)

PS...hey Jany: HUGS!