Never been there and I'm never going back!

Karysa

Karysa talk your DH into an Alaska cruise with cruisetour. Lots of photo ops. If he wants company my DH might join him, only way I'll get to Alaska. Happy_travellers

Might take you up on that!:) I've got it, I will surprise him. Now that's the best idea I've had in a long time!

Karysa

No desire ever to go to India.

That is too bad, because there are parts of India that are as beautiful as anyone could imagine - I would go back in a heartbeat.

I can't really say there is some place I wouldn't go. The whole world is so interesting and unique. I would love to experience it all!

Have been to Ochos Rios with no problems at all, although in fairness we did not wander around the streets but went straight to the beach. Don't feel any need to go again however and this is true for Mexico as well.

I would gladly visit all the Med ports time after time - there is always something to keep you occupied and, if not, stay onboard and enjoy the peace of a half empty ship.

Been to India, Goa and Sri Lanka and other parts of Malaysia and have no wish to go back with the exception of Singapore - one of our most favourite places in the world. Didn't know about not taking medications into Singapore - we had no problems on our visits - I think chewing gum is more of a problem.

Have been to Morocco - would not rush back there but, unless I had visited it in the first place, I would not know that.

So many more places we want to visit/cruise to - South America, Alaska, Panama Canal, Hawaii, Circumnavigation of Australia, South Pacific etc. etc. etc. We would never rule out any new itineraries. We will be visiting Dubai and Oman this year and I will be very interested to see what they are like - DH has visited UAE regularly with his job but I have never been. We are also visiting Egypt, where I have never wished to visit, but DH has a boyhood ambition to see the Pyramids ever since being shown pictures of them taken by his father in WW2.

The world is a big place and this life is not a rehearsal - I want to see as much as I can before my travelling days are over. If I don't like a place, I have no need to go there again.

Important disclaimer here: we seldom do any shore excursions, so our opinions are based exclusively on areas that tend to be walking distance from the pier and we don't head for the nearest beach..

Cancun - kind of like Miami Beach on steroids.

Sydney, Nova Scotia - just a small town with no particular historical significance.

I know our opinions might change if we had done shore excursions or even hired a taxi for a tour, but that's not our typical style. So no flaming, please.

Great thread! Just an observation... noticed some enjoy places rich in "culture, cuisine, history" (predominantly human created/centered)... while others seek out nature at its finest. No right or wrong, and they obviously intertwine everywhere, but it seems if you know what you are seeking in a destination ahead of time you will be less disappointed (non-beach people going to a small island for 2 weeks and being bored, flying to Tahiti and being bored by the beauty, etc...)

I've had the privilege of travel to 70+ countries but I have to say returning to the gut-wrenching poverty and barbarism of sub-Saharan Africa is not high on my bucket list. Perhaps it had something to do with the attempted interruption of my continuous respiration? :D

Enjoy your travels everyone!

We are also visiting Egypt, where I have never wished to visit, but DH has a boyhood ambition to see the Pyramids ever since being shown pictures of them taken by his father in WW2.

They are magnificent! I was a little surprised to see they had drilled what appeared to be pipe clamps into the walls to support the interior lighting. In the US, we would have organically fed mice running on little fitness wheels powering an environmentally friendly non-landfill-destructive xenon bulb! :D

I take it from your next post the only part of the South Pacific is beautiful.

That was the only one, but there is alot more, Samoa, Vanuatu, New Caledonia, Isle des Pins, and if you're interested in seeing the blue whale...:confused:

Jamaica-I had been there many years ago for a long weekend. Did not like the pushy people then that swammed us. Then a couple of years ago on our Panama Canal cruise we stopped in Jamaica. I kepted telling my new DH that he will not like it. He couldn't believe it could be "that" bad. Well, it only took stepping out onto the street to realize I was right. We ended up wanting to do something and talked to a cabbie that had an ID card who was older and more mellow than the other pushy people. We had him take us around the island and see the sights. It was a very nice tour and we also went into the hills. A 2 hour tour was $60 for both of us including tip and we thoroughly enjoyed it.

Someone else earlier said Port Moresby Papua New Guinea and I agree. Been there, done that 25 yr ago and that is one place I will not go back too.

Egypt is fab, one of our best holidays (not sure if it is safe right now!).We stayed in Luxor right on the river Nile. Saw all the tombs, fascinating, just wonderful. Bought some great Egyptian cotton sheets etc. Had (cheap) gold rings with out name in hiroglyphics. Winter palace is also a good hotel, they filmed Death on the Nile there, oak panelled bar, origional ballroom, something else.

Interesting that many people would not visit Jamaica because of the pushiness, begging, stealing, etc. For me it's about their politics - gay people are not treated well. I've never heard of a gay cruiser being attacked, but it happens regularly to the locals. I'm just not interested in that.

Other than that, I would go literally anywhere. I would even love to see Jamaica IF their policies changed - it's a political decision, not an "I'm not interested in that place" decision. All the places that have been mentioned on this thread, I would go to! I'm like the other poster, with a hierarchy - I want to see some more than others, but I want to see them all. :)

And B767drvr, I was going to ask how you managed to visit over 70 countries, and then I noticed your username. LOL!

How sad. :( We had a great lunch and bought our grandson a religous medal at a good price. Of course we had to walk past the first 3 blocks of tourist traps to get anywhere. :rolleyes:

Thousands of Americans are retired in Mexico, and have beautiful towns within a five minute drive of home, many with cathederals rivaling any you will see in Europe.

I spent one day in Cozumel on a cruise, and that cured me of any desire to see Cozumel or one more INCH of Mexico ever again.
Edited by Taxguy77

Atomica, As per your statement I guess that I am obliged to retaliate. I am fearful of the personnel at the airport there. The way that I was treated as a person with disabilities, I do not ever want to have an experience like that again.

Fran

I so agree with "no desire to go to India"...If I had to pick 3 places I would never want to go India would be all 3. No desire to have to pack food in a suitcase. Part of the fun of vacation is the food and I wouldn't trust anything even in the finest hotel. The begging is the saddest thing and the upper-class don't have sympathy "do give them money, it spoils them" and their opinion of Americans...they want our jobs and our money, but feel our children are "lazy, disrepectful and stupid." Do you work with any from India that have hi-jacked our jobs??? Have you seen the documentaries? Listened to their cultural beliefs? What's beautiful? Maybe the Taj Mahal, but not the faces of the disfigured children and adults, the suffering on the streets and in the slums, their ethics, morality, love of their own people??? I'd sooner visit a leper colony.

I so agree with "no desire to go to India"...If I had to pick 3 places I would never want to go India would be all 3. No desire to have to pack food in a suitcase. Part of the fun of vacation is the food and I wouldn't trust anything even in the finest hotel. The begging is the saddest thing and the upper-class don't have sympathy "do give them money, it spoils them" and their opinion of Americans...they want our jobs and our money, but feel our children are "lazy, disrepectful and stupid." Do you work with any from India that have hi-jacked our jobs??? Have you seen the documentaries? Listened to their cultural beliefs? What's beautiful? Maybe the Taj Mahal, but not the faces of the disfigured children and adults, the suffering on the streets and in the slums, their ethics, morality, love of their own people??? I'd sooner visit a leper colony.

Wow, so I guess you are allowed to form a (highly erroneous) opinion of India's culture and society without ever visiting there, yet you are upset about their opinion of Americans?

geez....

Wow, so I guess you are allowed to form a (highly erroneous) opinion of India's culture and society without ever visiting there, yet you are upset about their opinion of Americans?

geez....

Cynthi,

I agree. I see lots of people living on the street and begging in the US. We were in India last November and had a wonderful trip.

Interesting that many people would not visit Jamaica because of the pushiness, begging, stealing, etc. For me it's about their politics - gay people are not treated well. I've never heard of a gay cruiser being attacked, but it happens regularly to the locals. I'm just not interested in that.

Other than that, I would go literally anywhere. I would even love to see Jamaica IF their policies changed - it's a political decision, not an "I'm not interested in that place" decision. All the places that have been mentioned on this thread, I would go to! I'm like the other poster, with a hierarchy - I want to see some more than others, but I want to see them all. :)

No, it's not the pushiness, dirt, begging, and stealing. It's the fact that cruisers have been robbed at gunpoint and were three months before I cruised there (armed guards shot and killed one of the robbers). The fact that a bus of 13 people had two armed guards told me enough. Is your idea of a vacation waiting for the bullets to fly?

No, it's not the pushiness, dirt, begging, and stealing. It's the fact that cruisers have been robbed at gunpoint and were three months before I cruised there (armed guards shot and killed one of the robbers). The fact that a bus of 13 people had two armed guards told me enough. Is your idea of a vacation waiting for the bullets to fly?

I was basing my comment on what I've read in this thread - a lot of people have complained about those things. Certainly being robbed at gunpoint is another reason not to go!

I have no desire to go on a New England / Canada cruise.

I guess familiarity breeds contempt, but I was born and raised in New England, vacationed almost every summer either on Cape Cod, or the Maine Coast. Been to Boston a gazillion times, done trips to Eastern Canada. It just holds little appeal to me as a cruise destination.

I guess I've seen the sights in this area so throughly that a few hour port visit just wouldn't be worth the cost of the cruise, given that for the same price I could cruise somewhere that I DON'T know like the back of my hand.

I'm not saying that I don't love and miss my native New England. We are spending a week on Cape Cod this summer. I just don't see it as a cruise destination for me.

Edited by K&RCurt

I was supposed to cruise on the Ruby Princess to the Carribean in Feb, and had to cancel because of chemotherapy. We rebooked for Alaska this June. I am in remission and have never looked forward to a cruise as much as this one. All through my chemo, I read about Alaska (never wanted to go) and spent hours on these boards. Now, I can't wait to see the glaciers and bears and mountains and the glory of this unspoiled region. I am so glad to be alive and able to rejoice in LIFE!

I am so glad to be alive and able to rejoice in LIFE!

AMEN! Thanks for making my day! Your post certainly puts my petty annoyances in perspective. My sincere best wishes for your continued recovery and health! :)

PS Alaska truly is beautiful. It's a pristine, natural beauty that renews the soul. A shame some choose to overlook it due to an artificial temperature constraint. To each his own, as they say. :p

I have no desire to go on a New England / Canada cruise.

I guess familiarity breeds contempt, but I was born and raised in New England, vacationed almost every summer either on Cape Cod, or the Maine Coast. Been to Boston a gazillion times, done trips to Eastern Canada. It just holds little appeal to me as a cruise destination.

I guess I've seen the sights in this area so throughly that a few hour port visit just wouldn't be worth the cost of the cruise, given that for the same price I could cruise somewhere that I DON'T know like the back of my hand.

I'm not saying that I don't love and miss my native New England. We are spending a week on Cape Cod this summer. I just don't see it as a cruise destination for me.

Yeah, that's what a Pacific coast cruise would be for us: Boring.

I fully realize many people love the few repo cruises every year, and of course this year many more due to the swine flu concerns. I've read many posts by members who are thrilled with the change and wish the Pacific coast itinerary was a more frequent offering. But we already know the entire coast well and have no interest at all in cruising it.

beachchick

There's not too many places I dont want to see. I don't think I'd enjoy the cruises that go to Russia and Norway. Nothing against those nations, they just arent on my list.

Edited by TnMama