VEENDAM REFITTED: MIX Bars

JimVrhovac

Hi, Jim. Welcome back. I've looked at the Mix pictures with interest. I've been wanting desperately to get an idea of the entertainment area in this new Mix. So far, there's been nothing that puts a picture in my mind. Nothing. :(

Would you please describe this area from the entertainment point of view so I can get an idea what it looks like? Where is the piano? What is around it? Is it table & chair/banquet seating only? Does the piano become a focal point of the area? Can one sit there and be entertained, or does the music become more background?

Is this an entertainment venue, or more a social one?

Thanks for anything and everything you can add.

There is a guitar player on the area most forward by the shops and a piano type bar area in the area toward the stern. Both were pretty good. There hours of playing were in the review.

Their sounds did not interfere with each other.

This area seems to be well patronized. The table games were a hit and were being used from early am to late at night.

We think it is a welcome addition and it will be well liked.

Ruth & Jim

I thought a lot of you would be interested in the types of beer on tap so I took that picture so I would not have to answer a lot of question. They missed my favorite though Budweiser. I know what you are thinking but it is stil my favorite.

Jim (without Ruth)

I thought a lot of you would be interested in the types of beer on tap so I took that picture so I would not have to answer a lot of question. They missed my favorite though Budweiser. I know what you are thinking but it is stil my favorite.

Jim (without Ruth)

BUDWEISER? :eek:

We were supporting some grunts from a hilltp firebase and did a good job for them in the 60's and they had a pallet of Budweiser delivered to our firebase by chopper.

I will never forget that great taste of 100 degree plus Budweiser..... It was fantastic..

I still drink it today.

Jim (without Ruth)

Jim (without Ruth)

I tried to order one of these draft beers during the cruise and was told they were not up and running yet. They needed some part. I am not sure if it ever did end up working during the cruise. I really would have been surprised if it did work. Would have been a shock to find something completed and working on this cruise!

We were supporting some grunts from a hilltp firebase and did a good job for them in the 60's and they had a pallet of Budweiser delivered to our firebase by chopper.

I will never forget that great taste of 100 degree plus Budweiser..... It was fantastic..

I still drink it today.

Jim (without Ruth)

Jim,

I agree that Bud is drinkable, and I have yet to find any beer that was worse than no beer at all, but I like the ales better -- similar in spirit to the notion that while there is nothing wrong with a Big Mac, it's nice to have a Five Guys (or Sonic, or In and Out) burger now and then.

BTW, I was stationed on Guam once, and discovered that baseball and Spam were not the only things spread by GIs -- Bud was so ubiquitous (I even saw it on Peliliu island in Palau), that we called it Milk of Micronesia. :D

Dave

I am a big time beer fan and am surprised to see they're only carrying four kinds of brew on tap. :confused:

I would have expected them to have a better selection... :confused:

Yep that beer selection looks extremely poor

Yep that beer selection looks extremely poor

You are right, of course, but the improvement over no beers on tap, and the four they chose, is a major improvement. A London or Dublin pub it's not, but I'll take a Boddington's, please.

Jim, BTW, if you discharge a CO2 fire extinguisher over a couple of cases of hot canned beer, it cools them down quite nicely .... or so I've been told.:D

Dave

I think this is great! .. there are days when a good, cold beer, especially if draft, is highly desirable. Now, if we could have the effects of incoming .. then Bud would work as well ... maybe the pirates could accommodate.

harry

Finally a topic worthy of serious debate. Few things are better than a draft Becks. As my drinking buddy John Keats used to say:

O for a draught of Becks that hath been

cool'd in a keg in the deep delved bar

Tasting of Bremen and the country green

Dance and Octoberfest, and the pilsner clean

Thanks for the beer selection photo...My husband the beer snob has been worried since he can't bring his own on board. I told him he needs to be a wine snob and he'll have no problems...Can you tell me the price and what size they offer? Also, I have heard in the past that, while in Alaska, HAL has offered native Alaska brews. Do you know if that will be the case on the Veendam this season? Thanks!

I was a big fan of the MIX area. The piano bar has bar stools all around the piano. Dave the piano player was fantastic. He played every night from 9 pm until close-ususally around 1:30. We outlasted the Crow's nest crowd who came down to join us as well as the cast from the shows.

The guitar player-very poor, was in an area around the corner, by the spirit and ale bar. There are three bars in the area-one that is shown with the beer taps, one for martinis and one for champagne. The piano is in the champagne area. The seating on this side is banquets and small cigarette tables and low slung chairs. The other side has the game tables (which are fabulous and free). They have games, google earth, and other interactive activities.

This area was closed each night for a private party from 5 to 6:30. It was the officer's reception party for a small group of passengers. Each of us was invited one night for cocktails and hors d'ouevres with the officers.

It was a great addition to the Veendam.

Archived