Get a Load of This Uprising On Board

MrPete

Passengers must remember when cruising that most cruise ships are not USA registered ships or crew. When on a cruise you are not in USA waters and you are not protected by the US constitution or laws and are at the mercy of the rules of the cruise line until you return home. That is why you have to travel with a passport. US citizens' rights stop at the borders of the US, so I would be careful about throwing my rights around. All ships are run as military vessels with strict rules of law...not US law.

I know Carnival had a good reason for whatever happened and that when the passengers got home they could handle their displeasure on the phone and possibly get an on board credit on a future cruise. What else can they do? Chill and have a pina colada!

Passengers must remember when cruising that most cruise ships are not USA registered ships or crew. When on a cruise you are not in USA waters and you are not protected by the US constitution or laws and are at the mercy of the rules of the cruise line until you return home. That is why you have to travel with a passport. US citizens' rights stop at the borders of the US, so I would be careful about throwing my rights around. All ships are run as military vessels with strict rules of law...not US law.

I know Carnival had a good reason for whatever happened and that when the passengers got home they could handle their displeasure on the phone and possibly get an on board credit on a future cruise. What else can they do? Chill and have a pina colada!

(bolding mine) No, not really. I'm with you on the sentiment of your post though.

Diane....I think you missed something here.

The video is from a week in early May. The article you posted is from June 28th and had to do with a political coup almost eight weeks later than the canceled ports of that cruise.

Roatan was skipped on said cruise due to a report from Honduras that they detected what they thought was cases of swine flu.....

There was no coup. The coup was prevented when the Honduran Supreme Court stopped the former president from usurping power. (Had he succeeded, that would have been a coup) ;)

Oh my Heavens! Please . . . never let me go on a cruise with that woman or any of her followers. As an attorney, I studied Maritime Law (though I don't practice it . . . I understand it). This woman and her followers could use a cram course. Does anyone know what happened after this display of total ignorance?

I would guess what happened next is they all rushed down to remove auto tips :confused:

It's a good thing for this woman and her supporters that she wasn't on an airplane after the airline was forced to re-route and land at a different airport. She never would have made it off of the plane...except in handcuffs!!

It's a good thing for this woman and her supporters that she wasn't on an airplane after the airline was forced to re-route and land at a different airport. She never would have made it off of the plane...except in handcuffs!!

Mabe gitmo:eek:

Very true!

Sad part of this whole thing is that those that don't get it and got angry won't ever get it. :( Cruising isn't for everyone, and that video sure backs that theory up!

Can't even blame it all on those new to cruising. Plenty of people have done multiple cruises and have been lucky enough to never miss a port or have a port changed at the last minute. Never fails to amaze me how many people we talk to on board a cruise that have cruised multple times before are still clueless to the realities of being on a cruiseship.

Lets just hope most of these putspoken people on the video are angry enough to never want to step foot on any other cruiseship ever again !;)

Hi Mr Pete..Long time no speak.. How ya doin neighbor!

I couldnt watch the whole thing. The women got on my nerves. Remember in the movie "Titanic", the officer told Molly Brown to "Shut that hole in your face" ahahah.. thats what she needed.

Remember this time last year we had Hurricane Bertha off the coast of Bermuda. Well I was on the Carribean Princess at that time, and when I embarked the itinerary was not changed YET. Everyone boarded knowing the hurricane was lingering off the coast of Bermuda. It was there for 2 weeks for goodness sake. So we start sailing towards Bermuda. The sea is getting rougher and rougher. People are getting sicker and sicker. I was watching people getting sick everywhere. It was horrible. Then came the annoucement from the Captain that due to the hurricane off the coast of Bermuda that he was sailing into calmer water and straight to Puerto Rico. We had 4 straight sea days. weeeeeeeeeeeeee! NOT! so many people bitched and moaned about it. They wanted to know why we couldnt go to Bermuda on the way back to NYC instead of missing it completely. OMG..I couldnt believe it. They were complaining when they were barfing and in rough seas, then they were complaining when they missed the port, because of a hurricane, and were demanding money as a compensation. I told alot of people that its not that easy to just pick up the port "on the way back". We were not the only ship sailing to Bermuda ya know. No one ever thought that there would be no available berth on the way back. Itineraries are filed way in advance. So that shut up alot of people when I told them there was no available berth..Then came the smart alecs who said "then why dont they tender us to Bermuda". Gimme a break!

Everyone got their port charges, etc and any excursions booked through the cruise line refunded. They were damned if they do and damned if they dont.

When kids act like that they are called spoiled brats.. What do you call adults that never grow up and dont get their own way? I think what I want to say is vulgar, LOL, so I wont, but thats what they are, grown spoiled brats. Geez, Ive sailed with alot of them. All it takes is a bit of understanding a situation and making the best of it. We are powerless over missed ports, swine flu, uprisings, floods, hurricanes, thunder, lightening, tornadoes, etc, etc, so have fun,especially when you have your health, life is too short to bitch and moan like that.

First, the swine flu story had been on the news constantly for days and days back in May. The media was making it sound as if anyone setting a small toe anywhere near a place with the flu had a good chance of getting it and possible dying. Overkill, in my opinion but better to be safe then sorry. Anyone who had any kind of vacation anywhere near Mexico was being advised to reconsider. So these people should have used what small amout of gray matter they have and deduced they were not going to Mexico before they ever set foot on the ship.

Secondly, if I'm reading these posts correctly, the problem in Roatan flared up at a relatively late time and it was decided not to dock there at the last minute, maybe the day or so before. I'm I reading that right? And these people, besides screaming for compensation they did not deserve were angry at Carnival for not docking somewhere else? What do they think docks are, parking lots? Oh gee, HomeDepot is closed, I'll just drop by Lowes!!!! Anyone with half a brain should know that you can't just decide to pop in on an alternate island. Geez....these people need to get a life!

My question about all of this is: what happened after the ship arrived back in Tampa? Were these people dealt with by Carnival, or law enforcement? Was Channel 13 there like they'd hoped for?

With a full ship of passengers, you would think that at least one of those "unruly mobsters" would be a reader of these boards and respond to our comments about their stupidity! C'mon! Let's hear what you have to say!! Or are you too embarrassed to admit you were part of this ridiculous situation?

We have been on a couple of cruises in which ports of call were cancelled, either by Mother Nature's fury or civil unrest. Did it ruin our cruise? Heck no! Did we expect a refund? No! At lease we weren't slaving away at our daily job and could relax and enjoy the rest of the cruise.

I hope to hear from some of these mobsters and get their side of the story, no matter how stupid it may be.

:cool:Bill

Speaking as someone from another country who is married to an American - I will agree that other countries are not immune to this sort of thing, but since being in the US all the talk of "Freedom" and "Rights" has for some, morphed into a self-centred "What I want, when I want, and screw everyone else" attitude. You see it all over the place. I'm constantly astounded by all the ads on TV from lawyers who will get "you the money you deserve!" etc.

Now having said this, I enjoy living in America and get on very well with the vast majority of Americans, but as I commented on the youtube video, these people are examples of the loud-mouthed, entitlement complex driven Americans that give the vast, vast majority of polite, sensible Americans a bad name overseas.

I think this was the point of the poster who brought this up - also, I found the fact that this women presumed to speak for the entire ship (Americans and otherwise) rather obnoxious.

I am an American born and raised and sadly have to agree with you all the way.

It seems that for far too long this country seems to not only enable, but actually foster this sense of entitlement that has really gotten way out of hand.

If the wind blows the wrong way , you can bet someone's Constitutional Rights will be threatened and like you said about those ads, someone will have to folk over some big coin to make it right.

Believe me it's not everyone , just more than enough that they stand out like a sore thumb.

I am an American born and raised and sadly have to agree with you all the way.

It seems that for far too long this country seems to not only enable, but actually foster this sense of entitlement that has really gotten way out of hand.

If the wind blows the wrong way , you can bet someone's Constitutional Rights will be threatened and like you said about those ads, someone will have to folk over some big coin to make it right.

Believe me it's not everyone , just more than enough that they stand out like a sore thumb.

What the morons in the video don't realize is that once the ship is in international waters, your rights that you enjoy as Americans in the USA no longer exist. You are not in the US and not protected by the constitution and the bill of rights. You do not have the right to free speech on a ship, nor do you have the right to assemble, etc.

What the morons in the video don't realize is that once the ship is in international waters, your rights that you enjoy as Americans in the USA no longer exist. You are not in the US and not protected by the constitution and the bill of rights. You do not have the right to free speech on a ship, nor do you have the right to assemble, etc.

Thats right!!!!!!

A few years ago some celebrity got into some big to do in a foreign country that is normally a slap on the wrist here. And on the news they had a rep from the State Department pretty much saying exactly what you did.

In some places when you screw up ,you hang for it.

It always amazes me how stupid people can really act stupid. And what is scary is the mentality of the people who follow the leader. Just give me a cruise ship with good food, good shows and a great staff and the heck with the ports.

It always amazes me how stupid people can really act stupid. And what is scary is the mentality of the people who follow the leader. Just give me a cruise ship with good food, good shows and a great staff and the heck with the ports.

Amen to that.

See this is the kind of situation where my big mouth would definately get me in trouble.

If I was on this cruise , I would be razzing the hell out of these people. *LOL*

I would have more fun watching this freak show than I would playing Bingo :)

My question about all of this is: what happened after the ship arrived back in Tampa? Were these people dealt with by Carnival, or law enforcement? Was Channel 13 there like they'd hoped for?

I live in Tampa and don't recall seeing any articles or news stories about this. If there was a ruckus at the port, I am sure it would have been covered by at least some the media.

Well in fairness the media has been a little preoccupied lately :(

Perhaps - however here in Tampa "activities" at the port are usually covered. Not saying it would have been a national story - but if there was a "mob" of passengers with these claims, it would have been news for at least a day.

My esteemed colleague from the Great State of North Carolina has stated that the woman is a yankee. From her accent, I would say she is not; she is a Noo Yawker. Yankees are gentle people from New England:p not ignorant loud mouths.

I think it would have been justice to take these people back to Roatan and dump their obnoxious heinies on the dock and sail away.

I do not tolerate fools gladly.

Doc

Oh Doc, Please don't dump all Noo Yawkers into the same cesspool as that ignorant woman!!! Most of us are just as gentile as those from New England!

Mel-

A Noo Yawker that doesn't tolerate fools either!

Archived