How Much Is Too Much???

YeaYeaYea

It doesn't bother me as long as they eat what they take. I don't like to see people take huge portions, then throw half of it away. If I'm not sure I like something I take a little to try it, then go back for more if I do.

...of signs that used to be posted in messrooms aboard US Navy ships & bases.

They simply read : "Take all you want but eat all you take".

Sort of a common sense sort of thing.

Another 'goodie' sign that was posted when I was life guarding at a semi-public pool during high school read:

"We don't swim in your toliet, Please don't pee in our pool!"

Bon Voyage & Good Health!

Bob:)

I believe the "taste you'll never forget" part but the "gourmet palate" part? Hey, maybe they're right and it's a delicious delicacy. With the cost-cutting on the cruise lines perhaps we can convince them to add it to the menu. Forget the Master Chef's menu- We'll have roadkill night............

I believe the "taste you'll never forget" part but the "gourmet palate" part? Hey, maybe they're right and it's a delicious delicacy. With the cost-cutting on the cruise lines perhaps we can convince them to add it to the menu. Forget the Master Chef's menu- We'll have roadkill night............

Actually it would be "Sea Kill"

Didn't one of the cruise ships (I forget which line) hit a whale just recently? It got stuck on the bow and the ship had to drag it into the next port.

I bet the sushi was fresh on board that night :)

Actually it would be "Sea Kill"

Didn't one of the cruise ships (I forget which line) hit a whale just recently? It got stuck on the bow and the ship had to drag it into the next port.

I bet the sushi was fresh on board that night :)

Oh, how I've missed you! :D

Princess, I think, going to its last port, Vancouver. It took 2 tugboats to pull the 70 ton whale off!

I blame HAL for that. This is possibly the best bread pudding I have ever tasted in my life so even I ate a little more than I wanted to. I think it may be a plot to keep us full when the lobsters are served. Those Wascally Wabbits! :D

I feel really bad for the whale. Aren't cruise ships supposed to stay away from whale lanes? Or is it just random that whales will cross your path?

I hate seeing this.:(

My impression as well.

Further, from what I read, this was a fin whale ... a threatened if not endangered species.

How much is too much?

There are a few ancillary issues here that cruise passengers rarely consider.

For the past 100 years, ship stability has been calculated on the assumption that the average passenger - plus his/her luggage - weighs a total of 180 pounds.

It has been many years since I saw a passenger over the age of 8 who brought a total of only 180 pounds onboard.

If you have a modern cruise ship with 3,000 or 4,000 - or more - passengers who are each several hundred pounds over that average, you find yourself with many thousands of tons of weight that are unaccounted for in determining the stability of a ship.

Do you ever ride those tender boats? They double as lifeboats.

Most modern tenders have a rated capacity of 150 people.

You have never seen a standard tender boat with 150 people onboard.

It's impossible. Today's passengers are so large that it is nearly impossible to fit even 100 onboard one of them.

So if you have a cruise ship with, say 24 lifeboats, you have 24 x 50 passengers who cannot possibly fit in a real emergency. That's 1200 passengers with no lifeboats.

Enjoy your bread pudding.....................................

Sorry to be the one to blow a hole in the argument you're making. However, if someone is "several hundred pounds" over the 180 pound figure that would make them and their luggage a combined 480 pounds. Really? Are we really sailing with a ship full of folks who are close to tipping the scales at 400 pounds (not including luggage?) I don't think so.

Amazingly, from my last cruise I remember a lot of happy and interesting people enjoying themselves. I remember precious little about what they ate or weighed. For real, if this is what you have to worry about, your life is turning out A-OK!!!

Mrsltg said "Sorry to be the one to blow a hole in the argument you're making. However, if someone is "several hundred pounds" over the 180 pound figure that would make them and their luggage a combined 480 pounds. Really? Are we really sailing with a ship full of folks who are close to tipping the scales at 400 pounds (not including luggage?) I don't think so. "

On my last cruise, noticing the number of people tipping the scales close to that number was unavoidable -- made so by the number of very young people using motorized scooters to get around the ship -- and not because of broken legs ----

Hey stranger :)

the feeling is very mutual.

How have you been? Hope all has been well with you and your family

We're good - busy summer! Our son is getting ready for deployment to Afghanistan, so I decided to book a cruise to have something to look forward to after he leaves. I spend a lot more time on Facebook these days... you should check out all the HAL fans over there... I'd love to touch base with you!

The ones I'm referring to are not productive. I worked for years with a woman that gained over the course of about 10 years, 150+ lbs and the bigger she got, the lazier and more worthless. She ate like a pig, so it wasn't like she couldn't help it. She danged sure could and the rest of us were taking up her slack. The company finally had no choice but to can her. She'd gotten to the point that she wasn't even washing and in a public office that is a no-no. I really have no sympathy for someone that will not take care of themselves. Maybe I'm cold, so be it.

I don't think you are cold, I think you just may not have reconized what was really going on with your co worker.

I believe she may have been suffering from depression. ( self medicating with food,lethargy, and lack of personal hygiene,are all classic symtoms)

Maybe she could not " take care" of herself .

Compassion instead of condemnation... she may not have felt so "worthless".

I sincerely hope you never feel her despair.

Everyone has a story ,....sometimes the cover of their book can be very misleading.

I feel really bad for the whale. Aren't cruise ships supposed to stay away from whale lanes? Or is it just random that whales will cross your path?

I hate seeing this.:(

Whales rarely cross at intersections, and never obey traffic signals...

...in fact, most whales are so self-absorbed that they often act as if they owned the entire ocean!

:cool:

"Whale lanes" ? ? ? ? ? I've heard of shipping lanes, but never whale lanes. Sorry Suse, I'm not making fun of you, but it just caught me off guard. That's a killer - pardon the pun!

Smooth Sailing! :):):)

My opinion? No, he was not wrong to eat so much. His body, his choice. But, neither are you wrong to wonder as you did--it is human nature to wonder at things that we find unusual. I see nothing in the language of your post or your description of this man that is mean-spirited, heartless, or disrespectful.

I sure agree with your thoughts on the OP. All he was doing was wondering? People...back off.

Archived