Deck Chairs on Veendam Lower Promenade

What has been the availability of deck chairs on the Lower Promenade by those passengers in Ocean View or Inside Staterooms on the Veendam? We have always enjoyed being able to sit in a shady, quiet place to read and relax. With the new Lanai Staterooms taking up so much of the deck space, we were wondering what the experience of other passengers has been in being able to use that deck.

I've been wondering the same thing, as I love sitting out on Lower Promenade, and I like being able to choose the more comfortable side of the ship.

I read that there are chairs not assigned to specific lanai cabins, and that there are plenty of chairs at the ends of the deck. What I don't know is if there are open chairs interspersed with the assigned chairs. If my inside cabin is just aft of the atrium, I don't want to have to walk all the way aft to get a chair.

We were on the Veendam last week. It didn't seem as if all the chairs were ever filled on deck 6. Some chaises are marked reserved while many are not. The reserved ones have cushions on them. It looked as if you had to go get your owner cushions from a bin for those that were not reserved. I wouldn't worry too much about not being able to find a chair.

I was just thinking that although I have one of those lanai cabins and a "reserved" chair, I like to sit in the shade. My chair might be up for grabs if I have to move to the other side of the ship to get shade.

I was just thinking that although I have one of those lanai cabins and a "reserved" chair, I like to sit in the shade. My chair might be up for grabs if I have to move to the other side of the ship to get shade.
Sorry, you can't do that! You've got to sit in your assigned chair! :D:D:D

Some chaises are marked reserved while many are not. The reserved ones have cushions on them. It looked as if you had to go get your own cushions from a bin for those that were not reserved.

So only the lanai cabins have the cushions placed on them by the staff each day? Do you think that is so other passengers will be able to distinguish them as being reserved? I had initially heard that the "Reserved" plaques on the deck chairs are very small, and other passengers were sitting in those chairs because they didn't know that they were reserved. Where was the bin with the cushions located?

While we had considered a Lanai cabin for a future cruise, this is a major reason why we won't - we like to select our own area to sit. I do NOT want to be told 'this is your assigned chair'.

My concern is about where the deck chairs for non-lanai cabin guests are located. If they are at the end of lower Promenade Deck, sitting in the chair would give one a lovely view of the steel superstructure and not the open railing, looking out to sea.

I don't like the idea that one would have to go find a cushion to put on the chair! That kind of service is not a "Signature of Excellence"!

rkacruiser - Exactly! Any guest should receive the same treatment on a public deck. I see this as further erosion of public space just as the intrusion of the Lido Cabanas on the E'dam. This is NOT "Signature of Excellence"

Expecting non-lanai passengers to round up their own lounger cushions ... not unlike asking non-cabana passengers who want towels for the pool to go to the ship laundry and retrieve their own terry.:eek::eek::eek:

I was on the Veendam Jul 12-19 and despite my member name, for this cruise I had an outside non-lanai cabin on Lower Promenade. I echo PMJ's advice not to worry. Yes, RuthC, there are "open" chairs interspersed. I had chairs next to my window too, I just had to go around through the public door to get to them, rather than having a direct door from my room like my neighbors in the lanai room next door. Only a matter of a few more steps. The chairs by my window were public but there was never anyone else in them.

OK, it was Alaska, and some of the time it was chilly, but we had a good amount of temperate to warm weather, and I rarely saw anyone using the deck chairs on Lower Promenade although I went out there to at least stand at the rail pretty often. I never saw my lanai cabin neighbors using their chairs, although the cabin was occupied. The "reserved" plaques are very small and hard to notice and I sat on one of my neighbors' reserved chairs the first time, not noticing the plaque until I got up.

On our Glacier Bay day, which was sunny, there were a lot of people at the rail on Lower Promenade, so one would probably have had someone in the way of the view, but there were still lots of available chairs. There were lots of chairs up at the Retreat too, and that seemed to be where people who wanted a chair with a view in the sunshine went. Not covered up there, so more unobstructed viewing both from chairs and the rail, very popular on my cruise and probably drawing many people from the Promenade.

Yes, RuthC, there are "open" chairs interspersed. I had chairs next to my window too, I just had to go around through the public door to get to them, rather than having a direct door from my room like my neighbors in the lanai room next door.

Thank you! You've made RuthC a happy woman. :)

Maybe you ought to consider putting a sign on your chair "Can be had for compensation" ;)

My concern about deck chairs is this: if lanai rooms have assigned deck chairs and those people choose to sit somewhere else, for example looking for shade or the view on the other side of the ship, there will be even less public chairs available because those people won't be dragging their assigned chairs around. They will occupy the other ones and their assigned ones will be empty and unavailable to everybody else.

Therefore there will be less public chairs available.

I was thinking of making a deal with Ruth since we are on the same cruise. Chair for chocolates.
Yeah, I can be bought. :o Thing is, though, that I don't want to be in the sun, either. I'll switch sides of the ship to get shade, even if it's windy and cooler there. (no such thing as "too cold" ;))

My concern about deck chairs is this: if lanai rooms have assigned deck chairs and those people choose to sit somewhere else, for example looking for shade or the view on the other side of the ship, there will be even less public chairs available because those people won't be dragging their assigned chairs around. They will occupy the other ones and their assigned ones will be empty and unavailable to everybody else.

Therefore there will be less public chairs available.

Would that logic not extend to people who choose not to use their own balcony chairs!

Yeah, I can be bought. :o Thing is, though, that I don't want to be in the sun, either. I'll switch sides of the ship to get shade, even if it's windy and cooler there. (no such thing as "too cold" ;))

Guess I'll meet you on the shady side, minus the chocolates.

Would that logic not extend to people who choose not to use their own balcony chairs!

Not really, because the reserved lanai chairs are on the same level as the promenade and unless lanai rooms are given extra chairs for their exclusive lanai use than are normally on the promenade, there will be less of them for public use by anybody else no matter what other room you are in.

We were on the Veendam for 17 days in May and in a Lanai cabin. I never saw many chairs taken on the deck!! There are many more chairs than the reserved chairs so I would not be concerned about not being able to get one! We had sun shine every day so if the chairs were ever to be taken they would have been. Just enjoy!!

Archived