The cell phone issue is so confusing that I am going to

clerky96

just keep doing the email on the internet on a per minute basis. It is so much simpler than trying to figure all this out!!!

What carrier do you have? Most can be really simple. The internet is SOOO slow. I always check in a couple times a day via text, then call every other night. I add international plan to my service ( I have At&t) And it is very simple and hardly noticeable on my bill. I only talk a couple minutes though.:)

On my last cruise I got all the information I thought I needed to make cell calls while cruising. On the ship you were supposed to add a couple of 1's, each island had other similar rules. Well I had no luck at all- none of the combinations worked for me for the most part. In Cozumel, my phone worked and I think I got a picture message sent in Grand Cayman, but it was hit or miss. I really have no desire to be connected to the world while on vacation, but like to check in with the family now and then. I find it much easier to commuincate through email if necessary.

I have no problems with this, when we leave port, I turn my cell phone off, put it in the safe & it stays there until we get back. I never get close to a computer while we are gone, that's why it's a vacation.

Doug

AGREED! No need to be in touch with anyone. If there is an emergency, those who are shoreside can get in touch with you via the ship/phone in your room.

Turn your phone off and enjoy the vacation!

CeleBrat

AGREED! No need to be in touch with anyone

I second that. We usually are completely disconnected from the world on the ship. We usually find an internet cafe in port, if we have time, and check webmail. It's rather nice to to have a week where you can completely disappear from the normal life. It goes by all too quickly!

AGREED! No need to be in touch with anyone. If there is an emergency, those who are shoreside can get in touch with you via the ship/phone in your room.

CeleBrat

I second that. We usually are completely disconnected from the world on the ship. We usually find an internet cafe in port, if we have time, and check webmail. It's rather nice to to have a week where you can completely disappear from the normal life. It goes by all too quickly!

I have no problems with this, when we leave port, I turn my cell phone off, put it in the safe & it stays there until we get back. I never get close to a computer while we are gone, that's why it's a vacation.

Doug

No one cares guys. Mind your own business.

No phone, no internet while on board for me. Anyone that may need to get in touch with me has Carnivals 1-800 number. Carnival will relay emergency calls to the ship. The pursers will contact the passanger and the passanger can call back if necessary.

I just got back from the Valor,, We sailed 7/5 to 7/12 and I just got my most current cell phone bill.

I use Verizon. During the week, I sent 2 text messages to my daughter and she sent 2 text messages back to me. (She's older, but I still wanted to keep in touch with her, just in case) :)

I had left instructions to not CALL me, unless it was an emergency, but that I would TEXT her to check on her a few times. I would turn my phone on a few times a day just to check, so it was roaming at those times. I even left it on a few times for hours,,,,

My bill showed international roaming text charges.

$1.00 for the 2 outgoing texts,,, (50 cents each ) and

.10 for the 2 incoming texts,,, (.05 cents each)

TOTAL - $1.10

My advice,,, ? TEXT !!! :D

My provider is US Cellular and I know it will not work on the ship. CDMA technology. But I am without a contract right now and could easily change providers to AT&T.

I don't have a problem figuring it out...the info is pretty clear, both on the cell phone company's web site, and on the cruise line web site.

It might seem simple to you, but no matter what it says on the websites and the cruise line websites, there seem to be conflicting experiences here. Nowhere that I can find does it say "if you leave your phone on, you will be charged for calls, whether they are answered or go to voicemail". And people here have had that happen. It really isn't that "simple".

If only it were that easy. I want/need to be able to stay in touch. I have a 90 year old mother and a grandchild with health issues. I understand the posters that say they are on vacation and do not want to "stay in touch", but I don't feel that I have that luxury. If something were to happen, I want/need to know.

Thanks for all the comments.

I use my phone maybe every 2 days while onboard. My BF doesn't like cruises so I do call him for a few minutes to check in. I also tell my family that if it's a non emergancy to leave me a VM. I check it at every evening. I also give my family all the ships info so that if it is an emergany, they can still get in touch with me. I do take my phone while in ports. You never know when you will need it. My mother fell while at Atlantis and broke her foot on our cruise 2 years ago. The phone was used many times during that cruise to make arragements back home and talk to family back home. In an emergancy situation, I don't care how much the calls cost, I'm using it!! I think the most my bill cost over my norm was maybe like $20.00. Not too much and worth being able to be in touch with everyone.

I just buy an hour in the ports of internet time and catch up. Progresso is only $1 for an hour, many other ports are $2 or $3 for an hour ..... I must be addicted, I always keep in touch online.

Same here . . . do a little "rubbing-it-in" at embarkation, then phone is turned off (not moded to silent) but, OFF. I put it in the safe, don't use it until debarkation.

All internet usage is at a cruise cafe in the ports, dirt cheap, can't beat it. Carnival are you listening? :confused:

I inform all clients and employees, of the ship I'm on and a number to call in an emergency.

We charge our cell phones and put them in the safe for the week.

I do get a 250 minute internet plan and manage to use up most of that for business so $ 103.95 is a business expense.

Anyone needing us knows i will check email at least twice a day.

Doug

I figure that's why they have the emergency number.

If only it were that easy. I want/need to be able to stay in touch. I have a 90 year old mother and a grandchild with health issues. I understand the posters that say they are on vacation and do not want to "stay in touch", but I don't feel that I have that luxury. If something were to happen, I want/need to know.

Before you go, give your family and other interested people the ship's phone number so they can reach you at sea. If something happens, you can know about it right away, even without the cell phone. In an emergency, you can be paged. Then you can call right back on the cell phone at a lower per-minute rate than ship-to-shore.

Before we travel, I always create a document that lists our itinerary - airline flight numbers, hotels, cruise line and contact phone numbers, and the ports we will be in along with the day. I send this to family who would be interested.

That way, if a plane crashes, they don't have to worry if we are on it. If there is an emergency, they can reach us. And they have something to talk about while we are gone: "today they are in Panama..."

I agree that there are a lot of conflicting stories on here. I read my carrier charges $2.49 a minute, but then I also read people who racked up hundreds of dollars. I have to wonder if those who racked up charges were not bright enough and used their phone more than they thought, had received numerous voicemails or sent pics or something.

I too would like access to a phone, as I am leaving behind my 3 kids and 2 dogs in the care of my mother who is visiting. Not everyone has the luxury of turning their phone off and escaping the real world. And those who have kids and what not left behind are crazy if they do shut them off in my opinion.

I plan to call my carrier prior to leaving and discuss what charges should be on my account upon my return, have them note it in my account, and that way any discrepency can be immediately refunded.

I agree that there are a lot of conflicting stories on here. I read my carrier charges $2.49 a minute, but then I also read people who racked up hundreds of dollars. I have to wonder if those who racked up charges were not bright enough and used their phone more than they thought, had received numerous voicemails or sent pics or something.

I too would like access to a phone, as I am leaving behind my 3 kids and 2 dogs in the care of my mother who is visiting. Not everyone has the luxury of turning their phone off and escaping the real world. And those who have kids and what not left behind are crazy if they do shut them off in my opinion.

I plan to call my carrier prior to leaving and discuss what charges should be on my account upon my return, have them note it in my account, and that way any discrepency can be immediately refunded.

Best thing to do is check with carrier. Each one is a little different on how it's handled. Texting seems to be the cheapest route of all of the cell phone options. I have internet on my phone, I used it on my last cruise to check my web based email, this way I didn't have to worry about downloading anything. Those that have certain internet phones have to be careful on what is enabled and using up internet data, mine doesn't download anything unless I click something, I have nothing set to run automatically. The voicemail gets some people. Let your carrier explain it to you and it may make more sense. I had to use mine 2 years ago to check on the kids every day, whether text or call. I gave the whole family absolute instructions not to call me, text first unless emergency.

Archived