Are the Beds comfy on HAL?

Renorita

Hi, just recently returned from the Legend of the Seas and it was a great Cruise, except for the mattress! Oh so hard!! :( After 3 or 4 days I finally got somewhat used to it and it didn't bother DH (he can sleep on anything, lol) but was wondering how they are on HAL? We will be sailing HAL for the first time on the Oosterdam in a SS suite, and heard from someone on the RCCL boards that HAL is upgrading their mattresses, pillows and linen. Is this true and have they started yet? I thought maybe our mattress was poor because of only having a standard outside cabin, but some people that had suites said they had the same problem. Any comments would be appreciated. Thank you! :)

You will not be disappointed!! Yes, the Oosterdam has added the new mattresses and bedding and I can honestly tell you that this was the most comfortable cruise I've ever had the pleasure to sleep on! The beds are heavenly.

I have a very bad back and often come home in pain, but I would give anything to have my Oosterdam bed here at home. If you read through a lot of the threads, you'll see people raving about this no matter what else they may to say.

So relax and not to worry. You're in for a treat!:D Sleep well and have a wonderful cruise ... even if you never get out of bed;)

We were on the Zuiderdam twice and I often comment to my DH of how comfortable the beds were. I have been on Carnival, Celebrity and Royal Carr. Holland definitely IMO has the best beds. Celebrity comes in second in that category but exceeds Holland with service. If only we could put the best of each cruiseline together to get that perfect cruise. Ofcourse, we are very lucky to be cruising and enjoy them all.

We were on the Zuiderdam twice and I often comment to my DH of how comfortable the beds were. I have been on Carnival, Celebrity and Royal Carr. Holland definitely IMO has the best beds. Celebrity comes in second in that category but exceeds Holland with service. If only we could put the best of each cruiseline together to get that perfect cruise. Ofcourse, we are very lucky to be cruising and enjoy them all.

Good idea, Sandy Beach ... let's call the line "Celebrate America"!!!:D

hi everyone its a while since I posted, my computer died in october,DH has bought me a laptop for christmas and the first thing I was going to do was ask somebody what make of beds do they use on those HAL ships I have never slept in such a comfy bed and I too have a bad back but not one ache in 10 days I must have one,

:) not had a decent night sleep since the Volendam 10/17/04.

lindleyjulie, they are a Sealy or Serta something or other, but I recall someone posting awhile back that he called the company to order one and was told that they cannot be ordered and are made exclusively for HAL. I think that is totally silly since we would all run to buy them and they would make an absolute fortune!!!

The mattresses in the suites on the Rotterdam this month were Serta Pillow Top mattresses, though I am not sure of the exact one. Compared to the cot-like accommodations on the RCCL line in 2000, there is NO comparison. The linens are also wonderful... I can't compare them to the current beds on RCCL as I've not cruised with them recently, HAL and their service has won me over for now!:cool:

We got to experiance the new mattresses on the Maasdam in May - loved them.

But on the Statendam, the new mattresses in our suite were already worn out!

What in the world are these people doing to wear the mattresses out in such a short time??? :D

Seriously, thank you all for your comments. Looking forward to trying them out. Guess the downsize is; if they are TOO comfortable, I may miss out on everything else. Not the food though, cause there is always breakfast in bed!:)

Each person has their own preferance for a mattress. Apparently they did replace the one in the room I was in on the Maasdam. I found it uncomfortable and it took a few days to adjust. I could feel the metal frame and springs in it. I didn't look at the mattress brand. hum.. interesting. If I knew it was Serta I would have looked into it (called my relatives). My GG Grandfather was the founder of this company.

The mattress on the Granduer this past April was more comfortable to me. So it's just what you like but nothing is as good as the one at home. :)

Each person has their own preferance for a mattress. Apparently they did replace the one in the room I was in on the Maasdam. I found it uncomfortable and it took a few days to adjust. I could feel the metal frame and springs in it. I didn't look at the mattress brand. hum.. interesting. If I knew it was Serta I would have looked into it (called my relatives). My GG Grandfather was the founder of this company.

The mattress on the Granduer this past April was more comfortable to me. So it's just what you like but nothing is as good as the one at home. :)

Maureen, this is very strange. Are you sure they had given you the new mattress with the Euro (pillow) top? There is no way you could feel any metal or springs in the bed we were in on the Oosterdam. The mattress was terribly thick. I had to jump a bit to get onto it and I'm 5' 6" so usually I don't have to do a little leap. Plus there was the cushy pillow-top. I'm wondering if they missed your room!!!

Heather,

Mystery solved! I kept hearing about the wonderful mattresses -- and I was on the Oosterdam the cruise before you.

Just reading your post now, I understand why I found my mattress uncomfortable. We were in a handicap-accessible room, and the bed was very low. So obviously it was a different mattress -- I didn't have to hop to get into bed [and I am 5'2].

Heather - I didn't have a pillow-top mattress. I have one at home but this one wasn't anything like it. Maybe it's possible it wasn't replaced but I figured it was since we were on the Navigation deck. But what do I know? I've only sailed HAL once so I couldn't tell what the old/new differences were.

Our suite on the Zuiderdam had the most comfy king-sized pillow top bed ever!! It was a slice of heaven. I usually sleep terribly on vacation, but I slept like a baby the whole cruise!! DH would crank up the AC-which typically is way too cold for me, but I didn't mind...I would just snuggle up in that huge white down comforter!!:D BLISS!

123715514_ZCruise047s.jpg.164cd36f56447342949510af26ec1836.jpg

Having experienced the new wonderful mattresses on the Maasdam we didn't expect to find them (at least in our suite) already worn out on the Statendam. You could tell by the BIG dents in the mattress that some very heavy people had slept on them several times. That's why I questioned a while back about how long these mattresses should last.

Heather - I didn't have a pillow-top mattress. I have one at home but this one wasn't anything like it. Maybe it's possible it wasn't replaced but I figured it was since we were on the Navigation deck. But what do I know? I've only sailed HAL once so I couldn't tell what the old/new differences were.

As Heather mentioned earlier, you have to almost hop to get on the bed. The new mattresses make the beds very high ! Unless you are very tall, if you sat on the bed, your feet would not touch the floor.

The tables next to the bed are even with the bed with the old mattress and of course if you had the new mattresses the top of the table is much lower.

I am wondering if for some reason you had the older mattress.

We recently sailed the Oosterdam, and once again, we too found the mattress to be superior....The model is a EuroTop. Either Serta or Seeley,,,not sure which. In any case, I too have a bad back, but found relief for the entire cruise. The lovely Mrs. Jones and I are shopping for a new EuroTop mattress, even as we speak.

happy cruising,

Ken

We recently sailed the Oosterdam, and once again, we too found the mattress to be superior....The model is a EuroTop. Either Serta or Seeley,,,not sure which.

Ken

Plush Sealy Eurotop. I thought there was a post on here awhile back that said this mattress could be ordered through Sealy. We would be interested. Mattress was fabulous.

If posters are not sure whether they had the new mattress or not, they didn't. If they did they would know for sure.

The tables next to the bed are even with the bed with the old mattress and of course if you had the new mattresses the top of the table is much lower.
And this is a great improvement. I always had to be careful with the lower mattress to not roll over close to the edge and smack my head into the sharp corner of the nightstand.

Our's wasn't very tall to where you had to jump into the bed (I'm 5'4"). We didn't have dents in it though as mentioned. I guess we didn't have the new Euro Top ones. I wonder if maybe the twin beds are different? hum...

http://community.webshots.com/photo/231374373/231399521ShBexW

Nope, I can tell by looking at the picture you didn't have the new mattresses. As Gizmo said, the table ended up being below the top of the mattress.

Peaches, the post I saw about the beds said that we could NOT order them. The poster called Serta and tried to order one and was told they make them exclusively for HAL and they're not available. How dumb is that? They'd make a fortune! And it's not like we're not going to cruise if we have the bed at home!:D

Archived