Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ

Bequia

Hi,

I booked this hotel through Priceline for upcoming cruise in Feb. What are you thoughts on this hotel? I apologize if this has already/been asked/answered - didn't find it in the threads.

Thanks,

Debbie

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1686077

This thread is from today. It is unlikely that Priceline will put you in the beachfront building but the hotel is fine, old but recently renovated, close to the port, less than a mile from the main beachfront entertainment district. Did you have specific questions?

I promise I will spend time going back through all of these great posts and responses.......but.....

Cruising "P" April 2013 out of Fl. L. with 5 women. Cruise leaves on Sunday so looking at coming in on Thursday, taking a late plane out of Los Angeles.

Have some La Quinta points, but don't need to stay there. Would like to know about transportation from airport to hotel......suggestion on hotel as we'd like to hang out for a couple days prior to departure... restaurants, shops and beach...

On a bit of a budget so no $200 per night hotels. Also transportation from hotel to port.

I know they have transportation from ship to airport, have done those before. Just walked out of terminal and grabbed a big bus.

thanks so much for any suggestions.

I promise I will spend time going back through all of these great posts and responses.......but.....

Cruising "P" April 2013 out of Fl. L. with 5 women. Cruise leaves on Sunday so looking at coming in on Thursday, taking a late plane out of Los Angeles.

Have some La Quinta points, but don't need to stay there. Would like to know about transportation from airport to hotel......suggestion on hotel as we'd like to hang out for a couple days prior to departure... restaurants, shops and beach...

On a bit of a budget so no $200 per night hotels. Also transportation from hotel to port.

I know they have transportation from ship to airport, have done those before. Just walked out of terminal and grabbed a big bus.

thanks so much for any suggestions.

April is high season and you would be very lucky to find a hotel near the beach for $200 (Bahia Mar, Best Western Oceanside, and Al Hambra are probably your best chances), and no transport is included. Your lowest price (and clean and safe) with shuttles (please verify with the hotel as amenities change) and near shopping and basic dining is going to be La Quinta in Hollywood or Plantation, or the Sleep Inn in Dania(Sleep Inn is only a mile from the beach). Gallery One Doubletree is probably the best hotel for both shopping, dining, and beach (about 3 blocks walk)...you might get a good rate there through hiltonfamilymvp (just sign up for a hhonors number first and log in) and they have suites that might be able to hold everybody. As far as transportation from the port to the airport, it's only about $15 per cab.

Edited by royalcruz

I need help with a hotel PLEASE :confused:

Flying into FLL in December. I need a hotel for 5 of us that is not a fortune (under $200) & that is close walking distance to a store (to purchase wine & soda) & a few restaurants.

We chose not to rent a car & take a shuttle to POM the next day.

I've been looking but I thought you experts :D would know a few right away. Thank you!

Flying into FLL in December. I need a hotel for 5 of us that is not a fortune (under $200) & that is close walking distance to a store (to purchase wine & soda) & a few restaurants.

I've been looking but I thought you experts :D would know a few right away. Thank you!

Depends on when in December - between Christmas and New Years is very expensive, the first week of Dec. after Thanksgiving is very cheap.

Check www.sunny.org for info on most area hotels. We like the Embassy SUites - big room (can sleep your 5), nice pool, great breakfast, walking distance to dining and shopping, close to the port, and free happy hour every evening! :D

We are staying at the Embassy Suites on 17th before our cruise. We plan to rent a car for the day before the cruise. Does anyone know of a car rental agency close to Embassy Suites or a car rental company that will shuttle you back to the hotel after dropping the car off?

We are staying at the Embassy Suites on 17th before our cruise. We plan to rent a car for the day before the cruise. Does anyone know of a car rental agency close to Embassy Suites or a car rental company that will shuttle you back to the hotel after dropping the car off?

We always rent Thrifty in FLL. We rent at the airport, then take our luggae to the ship the day of cruise, they have a drop off at the Port, then shuttle you to the ship. We have never paid additional for dropping off at the port or shuttle. There is also a savings with the Orlando Magic-card.

Thanks RoyalCruz..... I signed up for the Hilton MVP, but which hotel would you suggest checking out?

Gallery One Doubletree (Hilton family) is right between the beach and mall/restaurants and has 2 BR suites you can share. Other Hilton family hotels that are nice are Embassy Suites and Hampton Inns but they are not by the beach.

Sleep Inn sleeps 5, is $180 and is next to Publix and Pancho's Mexican restaurant.

1 Do you know if southwest has luggage express for the freedom?

2. What type of stores can we but champagne?

thanks in advance.

2. grocery, liquor/wine stores, drug stores (CVS might only have sparkling wine), Target, warehouse stores, some convenience stores. Total Wine has very good prices on Champagne.

2. grocery, liquor/wine stores, drug stores (CVS might only have sparkling wine), Target, warehouse stores, some convenience stores. Total Wine has very good prices on Champagne.

Thanks for the info, Do you know if there are any such places close to the Days Inn at 2601 N 29th avenue Hollywood. I am the only who will be able to walk to it. I know there is a small gas station right in front of the Holliday inn across the street but I don't remember them having wine and such.

I really hate to ask this because I know it's been asked and answered

already but 142 pages is a lot to sift through and I can't figure out the

search engine.

My question(s):

I'm flying into FLL on an early morning flight. I bought the pre-cruise

transfer through Carnival so it's a given that once in port, I will be stuck!

I'd like to purchase some water bottles and breakfast before I board at 1pm.

Are there any markets in and around the cruise terminals that I can walk to?

I was hoping to pack/fly light since my airline charges for checked luggage,

otherwise I'd bring my snacks and water with me.

THANK YOU X100! :o

search engine.

My question(s):

Hi,:) since you need to leave the port to go shopping your best bet

is to get a cab.....there will be plenty of them because they bring

passengers to the ship that morning too. There is a Publix right

near the port on 17th Street. I would NOT walk...it is not

"Pedestrian Friendly". My other suggestion would be to cancel your

transfer with the cruiseline and get a cab from the airport to take

you to the store and then go to the ship.

Hi,:) since you need to leave the port to go shopping your best bet

is to get a cab.....there will be plenty of them because they bring

passengers to the ship that morning too. There is a Publix right

near the port on 17th Street. I would NOT walk...it is not

"Pedestrian Friendly". My other suggestion would be to cancel your

transfer with the cruiseline and get a cab from the airport to take

you to the store and then go to the ship.

I didn't know I could cancel the pre-cruise transfer! Thank you!

Hi, most cruiselines charge extra for that service. You said you

are on Carnival? Call them or if you booked with a TA call them.

I rarely, if ever use the Cruiseline's transfer, especially when sailing

out of Ft. Lauderdale....the airport and the hotels in the area are

close to the port. Taxis are plentiful:)

A taxi from airport to port is under $20. Getting the taxi to wait while you get your things at the store would be cheaper than the Carnival transfer per person.

If you have paid your final payment, you would not be able to cancel your pre cruise transfer.

How are you getting from port back to the airport? If by Carnival post cruise transfer, they wait until the bus is full before leaving. Cancel and take a taxi, much cheaper. There are alot of taxis waiting. The airport is very close in FLL.

A taxi from airport to port is under $20. Getting the taxi to wait while you get your things at the store would be cheaper than the Carnival transfer per person.

If you have paid your final payment, you would not be able to cancel your pre cruise transfer.

How are you getting from port back to the airport? If by Carnival post cruise transfer, they wait until the bus is full before leaving. Cancel and take a taxi, much cheaper. There are alot of taxis waiting. The airport is very close in FLL.

Well the airport to port transfer purchased thru Carnival is only

$15/each way. That's comparable to taxi fare. I'm serious about

finding something to do.

I looked into renting a car, booking a tour, hiring a limo and the

taxi thing. I think I need to get over trying to save some money

because it's not going to happen.

Hi, I haven't seen a post from Bequia in a very long time.

Betty,

That's a good question. Bequia hasn't posted on CC since March and her blog hasn't been updated since 2008. If you pull up her posts, she has an AOL address listed in her signature. I hope she's ok.

Thanks for the info, Do you know if there are any such places close to the Days Inn at 2601 N 29th avenue Hollywood. I am the only who will be able to walk to it. I know there is a small gas station right in front of the Holliday inn across the street but I don't remember them having wine and such.

There is a 7-11 about 6 blocks west on sheridan St that might sell wine.

search engine.

My question(s):

There is nothing near the Carnival terminal. You could just skip the transfer, take a taxi from FLL to Denny's on S. Federal Hwy at SE 17th St. (about $12 per cab), eat breakfast, walk across the street to CVS, get a case of water, and take a $10 taxi to the terminal.

Or take transfer to the terminal. Check in luggage. Take $10 taxi to Harbor Shops. Eat breakfast at the diner, buy water at Publix, take $10 taxi back to the terminal.