New agreement with NCL and Bermuda!

jdarch

Our first cruise to Bermuda was on the Crown which stopped in both Hamilton and St Georges. We have been back on the BA and it is not the same thing, great cruise but still not the same. Loved both stops when we did it

Our first cruise to Bermuda was on the Crown which stopped in both Hamilton and St Georges. We have been back on the BA and it is not the same thing, great cruise but still not the same. Loved both stops when we did it

Have to agree.

Have done the Hamilton/St. Georges run about 6 times. The Dockyards 3 times (all on TAs). The difference is like visiting 2 different islands. Unfortunately, channel and cut size dictates smaller ships.

"The cruise company will sponsor two catamarans from Dockyard to St George’s as part of the package."

I wonder how this will work. The ferry to St. George from the dockyards isn't expensive, so I'm not sure how good of a perk this is.

"The cruise company will sponsor two catamarans from Dockyard to St George’s as part of the package."

I wonder how this will work. The ferry to St. George from the dockyards isn't expensive, so I'm not sure how good of a perk this is.

assuming the ships ferry will be free and only available to passengers of the ship

Edited by pieshops

assuming the ships ferry will be free and only available to passengers of the ship

One of our favorite things about Bermuda is how easy and relatively inexpensive it is to get around using the current ferry and bus service. If NCL offers free ferry service so much the better!

The article is not really clear about whose vessels these ferries and catamarans will be, just that NCL is "sponsoring" the 2 cats. Perhaps contributing $ to the purchase. But to suggest that any of them will be "free"? Now that is a real stretch.

This is NCL after all, and they would not pass up the opportunity to charge ship passengers for a lovely cat excursion from the shipyard to St Georges and back, for our convenience of course, probably for at least $100 pp.

We are leaving on the Breakaway next Sunday for Bermuda & got quite a price stickers shock looking at the latest/current shorex prices :eek: :rolleyes:

There is virtually no chance that NCL is going to do this out of the goodness of their corporate hearts & souls, with the finance vision, and the debt loads carried for the new ship - the Joy for the Chinese/Asia market - that, the island ferries sponsored by NCL are going to be "free" ... unless it's reflected in the overall pricing ahead. Maybe, maybe - it will be a 2 for 1 deal for Oceania & Regent ships visiting Bermuda.

Taking some of us back to good old memory lanes - St. George piers - 2006 - both the Crown & Majesty https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64025118/1980-2000%27s%20Travel/2006-10-10%2009.58.05.JPG

The St. George's ferry does not run from the Dockyard on Sundays. It would be great if this new service could run passengers from the Dawn to St. George on the weekend.

The St. George's ferry does not run from the Dockyard on Sundays. It would be great if this new service could run passengers from the Dawn to St. George on the weekend.

Which NCL cruises dock in Bermuda on Sundays? Ones out of NY dock Tues-Thurs.

Which NCL cruises dock in Bermuda on Sundays? Ones out of NY dock Tues-Thurs.

The Dawn leaves Boston on Friday and is in Bermuda from Sunday until Tuesday. The Breakaway leaves NYC on Sunday and is there from Wednesday until Friday.

We are leaving on the Breakaway next Sunday for Bermuda & got quite a price stickers shock looking at the latest/current shorex prices :eek: :rolleyes:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64025118/1980-2000%27s%20Travel/2006-10-10%2009.58.05.JPG

There is absolutely no reason to book a ship excursion on Bermuda, there is not one thing the ship,offers that can't be done on your own cheaper and with much less crowds.

Hmmm....maybe 'sponsor' means they will advertise their cruise line all over the new catamarans. That's what it means when someone sponsors a sports team arena:rolleyes:

The use of the word "sponsor" by the reporter who wrote the article is incorrect. That's not what was said at the press conference. If you watch the video of the press conference, Premier Michael Dunkley says that NCL is commissioning the construction of two ferries, which means that NCL is ordering the ferries and paying to build them.

The use of the word "sponsor" by the reporter who wrote the article is incorrect. That's not what was said at the press conference. If you watch the video of the press conference, Premier Michael Dunkley says that NCL is commissioning the construction of two ferries, which means that NCL is ordering the ferries and paying to build them.

But once built, who will own and operate them and collect any revenue for these vessels? I can't see NCL actually operating them.

Wasn't there some talk recently, I remember a thread about it here, about the fact that Bermuda's ferries and buses were being stretched thin by the large numbers of cruise passengers being brought in weekly by ever bigger ships? And now there will be additional passengers at st Georges from Oceania, where there was already limited ferry service.

Those ferries and buses were not just there to serve tourists. The majority of citizens in Bermuda probably take either a bus or ferry to work, as each family is allowed only 1 car, and many probably have none. I don't expect they were thrilled to have them crowded with cruise passengers. Perhaps an agreement was reached between Bermuda and NCL that NCL will provide some or all of the funding for the additional capacity needed, probably as part of the agreement to allow docking at St Georges. Once built, they will probably belong to Bermuda, who will operate and collect the revenue from, just as they do from the existimg ferries. Good for Bermuda's tourism industry, and good for NCL, whose passengers will have perhaps better access to getting around the island.

But once built, who will own and operate them and collect any revenue for these vessels? I can't see NCL actually operating them.

Wasn't there some talk recently, I remember a thread about it here, about the fact that Bermuda's ferries and buses were being stretched thin by the large numbers of cruise passengers being brought in weekly by ever bigger ships? And now there will be additional passengers at st Georges from Oceania, where there was already limited ferry service.

Those ferries and buses were not just there to serve tourists. The majority of citizens in Bermuda probably take either a bus or ferry to work, as each family is allowed only 1 car, and many probably have none. I don't expect they were thrilled to have them crowded with cruise passengers. Perhaps an agreement was reached between Bermuda and NCL that NCL will provide some or all of the funding for the additional capacity needed, probably as part of the agreement to allow docking at St Georges. Once built, they will probably belong to Bermuda, who will operate and collect the revenue from, just as they do from the existimg ferries. Good for Bermuda's tourism industry, and good for NCL, whose passengers will have perhaps better access to getting around the island.

Perhaps Bermuda will own and operate them...I don't know.

However the ferries are not being built to accommodate the passengers who will be docking on the new sailings coming to St. George's. They're being built so the passengers at Dockyard can more easily get to St. George and return to Dockyard.

Perhaps Bermuda will own and operate them...I don't know.

However the ferries are not being built to accommodate the passengers who will be docking on the new sailings coming to St. George's. They're being built so the passengers at Dockyard can more easily get to St. George and return to Dockyard.

Well, the cruisers docked at St Georges will have to be accommodated somehow. The only public trans out of St Georges, if not by ferry via the dockyard, is by bus/taxi to Hamilton. There is no ferry to and from St Georges/Hamilton direct.

So I'm not sure why you say the new ferries are being built to service those passengers at the dockyard only. Although many will travel from St Georges by private taxi/tour or bus, I can see that many would prefer a scenic ferry, first with a stop at the dockyard for museum, shopping etc., and then either a return to St Georges, or perhaps another ferry on to Hamilton/beaches.

Well, the cruisers docked at St Georges will have to be accommodated somehow. The only public trans out of St Georges, if not by ferry via the dockyard, is by bus/taxi to Hamilton. There is no ferry to and from St Georges/Hamilton direct.

So I'm not sure why you say the new ferries are being built to service those passengers at the dockyard only. Although many will travel from St Georges by private taxi/tour or bus, I can see that many would prefer a scenic ferry, first with a stop at the dockyard for museum, shopping etc., and then either a return to St Georges, or perhaps another ferry on to Hamilton/beaches.

Listen to what Frank Del Rio says in the press conference. He said NCL is purchasing and sponsoring two 250 passenger catamarans to take passengers from Dockyard to St. George's. Later in the press conference Premier Dunkley says the same. There's no doubt from both FDR's and Dunkley's words that the primary purpose for building the new ferries is to carry passengers from Dockyard to St. George's.

On all the cruises I took in the past that docked in St. George's, I can't ever remember taking the ferry from there to Dockyard. There's little or no reason to do so. There are beaches close to St. George's. There's tremendous history associated with St. George's. There are restaurants in St. George's. There's shopping there too, although in the last few years many store have closed due to lack of tourist traffic. With new ship calls at St. George's presumably new stores will open.

While many improvements have been made to Dockyard over the years, by and large I don't think it's a very attractive destination for anyone on a luxury cruise ship. When you're paying top dollar to cruise on a 750 passenger luxury vessel, why would you go to Dockyard to be thrust into the crowds of 6,000 or more passengers that can be present with two ships in port?

You don't need two new ferries to accommodate 750 passengers on a ship docked in St. George's. You need the ferries to accommodate the 6,000 on ships berthed at Dockyard.

Edited by njhorseman

Listen to what Frank Del Rio says in the press conference. He said NCL is purchasing and sponsoring two 250 passenger catamarans to take passengers from Dockyard to St. George's. Later in the press conference Premier Dunkley says the same. There's no doubt from both FDR's and Dunkley's words that the primary purpose for building the new ferries is to carry passengers from Dockyard to St. George's.

On all the cruises I took in the past that docked in St. George's, I can't ever remember taking the ferry from there to Dockyard. There's little or no reason to do so. There are beaches close to St. George's. There's tremendous history associated with St. George's. There are restaurants in St. George's. There's shopping there too, although in the last few years many store have closed due to lack of tourist traffic. With new ship calls at St. George's presumably new stores will open.

While many improvements have been made to Dockyard over the years, by and large I don't think it's a very attractive destination for anyone on a luxury cruise ship. When you're paying top dollar to cruise on a 750 passenger luxury vessel, why would you go to Dockyard to be thrust into the crowds of 6,000 or more passengers that can be present with two ships in port?

You don't need two new ferries to accommodate 750 passengers on a ship docked in St. George's. You need the ferries to accommodate the 6,000 on ships berthed at Dockyard.

I am not saying there is not a need for additional services to those passengers who dock at the dockyard. But, unless those docking in St Georges are only in port a very few hours, they are going to want to get out of St Georges at some point. I have been there, and and after a few hours, or a day, you have seen all there is to see. And I don't see the types of passengers who book Regent hopping on a public bus to ride with the locals making multiple stops in order to get to Hamilton and other scenic sites on that side of the island.

There is quite a lot at the dockyard these days. If those Oceania passengers want to get on this cat ferry and ride over to Dockyard to see the shops and museum and glassblowing, are they going to be refused? Of course not. This may be a moot point if these ships will only be in port a few hours, but if it's beyond that, they better have some plans for getting these passengers where they want to go, and I would think these cat ferries would be part of the plan, whether or not it was spelled out in that article.

If the Cats are for the Oceania and Regent passengers it is very likely they will be free with the rates they will be paying. They might be used for other at other times when those ships are not in port, hence the lack of specificity in the announcement.

I am not saying there is not a need for additional services to those passengers who dock at the dockyard. But, unless those docking in St Georges are only in port a very few hours, they are going to want to get out of St Georges at some point. I have been there, and and after a few hours, or a day, you have seen all there is to see. And I don't see the types of passengers who book Regent hopping on a public bus to ride with the locals making multiple stops in order to get to Hamilton and other scenic sites on that side of the island.

There is quite a lot at the dockyard these days. If those Oceania passengers want to get on this cat ferry and ride over to Dockyard to see the shops and museum and glassblowing, are they going to be refused? Of course not. This may be a moot point if these ships will only be in port a few hours, but if it's beyond that, they better have some plans for getting these passengers where they want to go, and I would think these cat ferries would be part of the plan, whether or not it was spelled out in that article.

What can I say. The CEO of NCLH and Bermuda's Premier both say the boats are being built to bring Dockyard passengers to St. George, but apparently you have some inside information to the contrary.

Of course the Regent and Oceania passengers will be able to use the ferries if they wish, but that's clearly not the main reason they're being built, at least according to FDR and Dunkley, who were responsible for approving this deal.

There's a major problem with lack of adequate transportation at Dockyard. The transportation authorities tried to pull a fast one, announcing that tokens and two day passes would no longer be sold there, in an attempt to force people to take taxis and private mini bus services instead of mass transit, but we caught them in the act, and thanks to a very loud protest raised by Cruise Critic posters that was picked up by the press in Bermuda, the numbskulls who came up with the idea had to back off, and reinstituted the previous transportation payment options.Their problem is providing transport for over 6,000 passengers at one time on ships based at Dockyard, not taking care of 750 passengers on a single ship docked in St. George.

Edited by njhorseman

• 9 months later...

Any updates on NCL's St. George New Build Ferry Construction ??

Edited by biker@sea