Never too old!

Musicus

I am one of many, I'm sure, who have followed this post for over a year and have never posted. I feel as though I know Egon personally.

We cruised in November and December on the MSC Poesia - they certainly think highly of Egon on the ship.

Egon is an inspiration. I hope I am still following my traveling dreams in my 90's!

My thoughts and prayers are with Egon and with his son, Steve.

Mary Jane (& husband Jim - I read all the post to him so he "knows" Egon also)

I'm one of so many who have followed this thread since meeting Egon on Poesia in June/July last year. I received the message below from Steve last Thursday, and have been watching to see if it was reposted. I know many people want to know how he is faring, so although it's not very good news, I thought I should share it. Egon is such an amazing person, I think everyone who met him was touched by him.

Hi All, this is Steve (Egon's son) with an update to all of you who have an interest by way of Dad's email group(s).

On Monday I received the results of the CTscan performed on the 17th. These results are not good. The tumor load has increased dramatically and the cancer is deemed very aggressive now. There are presently spots on the liver, bone (primarily spine) and lymph (but not lungs). The largest tumor is over 60x20mm. There has been a change in meds again to alleviate some liver/kidney dysfunction and he is now on synthetic morphine to ease the pain. Dad told me a few days ago that the injections help to alleviate the quick onset of the pain (new development). Egon remains in hospital but continues to weaken. Still, he had strong periods of 10 or 15 minutes at a time before being too tired to interact or even respond. On the 24th (yesterday) he was moved to the Palliative Care ward. Also yesterday I read some 50 emails to him that I had printed out (all from you fine folk reading this) and he is very grateful to all of you. He also was able to read on his own my previous 'report' to you of 10 days ago and was quite coherent and capable of flipping the pages himself as well as asking questions and acknowledging the answers. Yesterday I was still able to feed him soup, orange and milk and even a little roast beef at lunch time, he also ate some fruit salad on his own a few days ago. Today, not so much. A few days ago he was still able to get up and stand (with help) - not today. In fact, today there is no food intake at all and communication has mostly waned.

It appears that I was wrong, for until last weekend I was thinking that Dad still had some six months with us, however today I am less confident about this to be sure. When I pressed the Doctor yesterday (before this further dramatic decline since) we came to agree on two or three months. Perhaps the dramatic change from yesterday is temporary, but I no longer anticipate that he might return to his apartment and so visited at his residence at Marina Point to advise. There is apparently a waiting list.

Thank you all for your caring Love ~ Steve

Makes me cry. I hope he doesn't have to suffer or be in pain and am sure he would not want to live in his present state of conditions. He was a man that had places to go and see and playing the beloved piano. So sad and breaks my heart that he never got to take that final cruise that he was so hoping to do. Won't be long I'm afraid but at least he'll be cruising every day in style and playing piano to everyone's enjoyment. Bless his heart. Thank you for posting the latest update.

From what I have observed in my own family, when the old folks stop eating and start getting morphine the end is usually not too far off. It is very sad, but Egon has lived quite a long and remarkable life and has touched many people.

I think I expected (hoped) to be following Egon's adventures for many more years - and sending him a card for his 100th birthday! He has certainly been an inspiration for us all. I hope that all the love, good wishes and prayers coming their way make the next months easier for both Egon and Steve.

Hello to you all once again.

The Time arrived and Dad / Egon has passed. His transition to the 'afterlife' was just after 2 a.m. this morning, Tuesday April 30th.

My father lived a long and rich life full of wanderlust, adventure and intrigue, caring, generosity and love. He was gifted with intelligence and talent, sharing all his attributes willingly and freely to everyone who traversed his path. A good listener, he spoke his mind and expressed a distaste for incompetence. Egon was a student of Man, or perhaps more precisely the 'Mensch' in Mankind.

Within the hundreds of contacts of Family, Friends, and Acquaintances in my fathers email groups, many of You were touched by his travels in later years, while some of you have graced his life for 60 years and more. All of you were special to him and there is no doubt that he thanks you for being 'there' for him, even and perhaps especially during the last weeks of rapid decline in his well being. Some of 'his-story' is found on his website at the link below, a site rather incomplete but with sufficient representation of his last sixty years or so.

Dad's wishes were simple, the lowest cost cremation possible, no memorial service, no fuss, and scatter his ashes, together with those of his third wife, Heidy (2006), over the Lake at Osoyoos in British Columbia where they enjoyed living for over 30 years.

I will miss you Dad, may your music and our memories console us. Love ~ Steve

http://home.cablerocket.com/~egon/index.htm

Edited by woodboat

We thought that Egon - more than anyone else - was invincible, and that he would take us along on yet another one of his ultimate travels. Sadly, that was not meant to be...

But Egon still speaks to us through this thread, which will always be a source of pleasure to re-read.

To Steve and Pat (who was our link to Egon), thank you from the bottom of our hearts.

Heartfelt condolences, Steve.

We, who only knew Egon for such a short time through his wonderful, incredible journey, can only imagine how you must miss your Dad. Thank you for sharing him with us. He was an inspiration to all of us. We really appreciate your keeping us informed of the last days of our friend, despite all the sadness you have been, and are still, experiencing.

Also, an enormous THANK YOU to Pat, for starting this wonderful thread... (and so sorry that the last day of your long wished-for and much deserved TA cruise has to end on this very sad note).:(

I am saddened to learn of Egon's passing. I will miss reading his entertaining accounts of his adventures. I wish he had an opportunity to use that little blue pill that he mentioned he kept in his pocket. Maybe he did, and as a gentleman, didn't tell. My condolences, Steve. He was a very special man.

I enjoyed "knowing" Egon & very much enjoyed his spirited travels & tales.

Deepest condolences to Steve & family. Thank you for sharing your Dad, & thank you Egon for sharing your music & your self.

Your friend in St. Cloud, Florida

D

I'm truly sorry, Steve, for your loss! Made me cry when I read this post and yet, he was such a great man with such a rich, full life. I aspire to be able to achieve even half of what Egon did!! He will be very much missed on these boards!! Peace and love to you and your family.

Pat