No Bermuda in 2013 for HAL

foodsvcmgr

As has been suspected for some time, other web sources reported today that HAL has officially informed the Bermuda government that they do not intend to operate service to the island in 2013:(.

Bermuda in turn is now seeking to arrange a replacement small enough to dock downtown in Hamilton. Sadly there are not many suitable candidates, most are too old with no balcony cabins that are not marketable in the US, or luxury lines that are not interested in a regular 7 day service.

OCEAN PRINCESS fits the bill, remains to be seen if Princess is interested in returning to the Bermuda route.

This makes me more queasy about Veendam returning to Boston via Panama Canal from South America, early May, 2013. My stomach is rolling around a bit suspecting it possible HAL may pull 'MY" :) beautiful Maasdam from the Canada/New England itinerary and replace her with Veendam....... NO AFT POOL Veendam. LOUD blaring noise at the stern 'area' where one used to be able to sit out in the beautiful weather and enjoy, Veendam.

Maasdam does Viking cruise for 35 days every summer, leaves next week (October 28) for 45 days to Europe, is scheduled for long South America cruise for 2013.... seems HAL is modifying their plans for Maasdam and none of it includes Boston and Canada.

Some little niggling thing in me is saying we best enjoy our 2012 Canada/New England cruise on "My" :) Maasdam as it may be our last. :(

It was POSTED here but it was not announced by HAL that I am aware of.

The posting made here was disputed a bit by folks who are to be taken seriously so the back and forth must have still been going on behind the scenes.

Until there is an official announcement by HAL, it is only opinions and speculation, some based on real information but not official.

We cruised to Bermuda from NYC on Zenith when she was "X". Where is she now? We docked at both St. Georges and Hamilton.

The former "X" ships Zenith and Horizon are sailing in the Mediterranean for Pullmantur Cruises a joint venture of RCL. Also in that fleet are the old Sovereign and Empress of the Seas.

OCEAN PRINCESS fits the bill, remains to be seen if Princess is interested in returning to the Bermuda route.

Well not quite returning to the route, as they are still there now with the Caribbean Princess doing Bermuda stops on her 9 day Caribbean Cruises from NYC. But yes, it has been a while since the Pacific Princess returned to her Bermuda roots (as the Sea Venture) and sailed on the NYC-Bermuda run in the early 2000's hitting all three ports (Hamilton, St. George's and Dockyard) I have a feeling that Princess can get better returns on the two smaller ships sailing them in Europe for the summer. In my dream, they woudl transfer them to Cunard and sail them as smaller cruise ships, the Franconia and Carmania, painted green like the famous Caronia. One to Europe and one to Bermuda.

Carmania and Sea Venture in Bermuda in the 70's

scan0013.jpg

And a new "Green Goddess"

Carmania8.jpg

Guest LoveMyBoxer

We were lucky enough to have sailed: HAL Veendam, NCL Dream, NCL Crown, Celebrity Zenith, Pacific Princess, X Meridian, RCI & NCL Westward all into Bermuda.

The former "X" ships Zenith and Horizon are sailing in the Mediterranean for Pullmantur Cruises a joint venture of RCL. Also in that fleet are the old Sovereign and Empress of the Seas.

Thanks.

Being from Boston, we did a number of resort stays in Bermuda earlier in our 'travel years' but our cruise there was the last visit.

This makes me more queasy about Veendam returning to Boston via Panama Canal from South America, early May, 2013. My stomach is rolling around a bit suspecting it possible HAL may pull 'MY" :) beautiful Maasdam from the Canada/New England itinerary and replace her with Veendam....... NO AFT POOL Veendam. LOUD blaring noise at the stern 'area' where one used to be able to sit out in the beautiful weather and enjoy, Veendam...

Hopefully they'll just transfer Veendam to Costa - The Italians don't seem to mind outdated, ugly little ships...

:cool:

There are no more 'brochures' as such and no more cruise planner. There is only the 'cruise atlas'.

I fully agree until HAL makes an Official Announcement there is nothing settled and I said so way far above in an earlier post.

It was POSTED here but it was not announced by HAL that I am aware of.

The posting made here was disputed a bit by folks who are to be taken seriously so the back and forth must have still been going on behind the scenes.

Until there is an official announcement by HAL, it is only opinions and speculation, some based on real information but not official.

Post #8 in this thread.

There are no more 'brochures' as such and no more cruise planner. There is only the 'cruise atlas'.

I fully agree until HAL makes an Official Announcement there is nothing settled and I said so way far above in an earlier post.

Post #8 in this thread.

Ok, so I second that notion ...

Archived