Wine policy strictly enforced on Golden Cruise 4/24

GweninTX

We were on the Golden to Hawaii on 4/24 and they strictly enforced the wine policy. I had put my 2 bottles of wine in my carry on bag and as soon as it was seen in their scanner I was asked to take my bag over to a desk that had a Princess staff person sitting with a printed list of cabins and names. He noted my two bottles for our cabin on his sheet. I asked him if we bought wine while import would it be held for us and he said it would be held and delivered to us the last night of our cruise. At each port they were scanning for wine. I also noticed that they took a glass of wine away from a woman as she entered the dining room with it one night. I am not sure if they are cracking down there also, but we just drink our wine in our room. The days of carrying on numerous bottles are surely numbered now! It will be interesting when this rolls out fleet wide!

its never been quite clear to me as to whether or not they charge the $15 corkage fee for the bottles that you buy in the different ports (and that they hold for you)?

its never been quite clear to me as to whether or not they charge the $15 corkage fee for the bottles that you buy in the different ports (and that they hold for you)?

I asked this very question and if you give it to them to hold there is no fee charged. Only if you take it to your room.

I guess that Anthony De fellipo is still having a clamp down

I actually found him to be wonderful and very helpful on my last cruise to Hawaii (3/12). I do believe his name is misspelled although I can't remember the correct spelling.

Yes, the policy will be enforced fleet-wide in the next few months. So, for everyone who enjoys bringing on cases of wine and other assorted drinks... Enjoy it while you can!

We were on the Golden to Hawaii on 4/24 and they strictly enforced the wine policy. I had put my 2 bottles of wine in my carry on bag and as soon as it was seen in their scanner I was asked to take my bag over to a desk that had a Princess staff person sitting with a printed list of cabins and names. He noted my two bottles for our cabin on his sheet. I asked him if we bought wine while import would it be held for us and he said it would be held and delivered to us the last night of our cruise. At each port they were scanning for wine. I also noticed that they took a glass of wine away from a woman as she entered the dining room with it one night. I am not sure if they are cracking down there also, but we just drink our wine in our room. The days of carrying on numerous bottles are surely numbered now! It will be interesting when this rolls out fleet wide!

My problem with taking the glass of wine away from the woman is what if she purchased that glass of wine at the bar near the dining room while waiting for a table:confused::confused:.

How can the know if the wine came from a bottle in your room you brought on or from a bottle at a ship's bar??

My problem with taking the glass of wine away from the woman is what if she purchased that glass of wine at the bar near the dining room while waiting for a table:confused::confused:.

How can the know if the wine came from a bottle in your room you brought on or from a bottle at a ship's bar??

From your signed receipt for the glass of wine.

What if someone else bought it for you? I would be beyond p*ssed if they took my glass of wine off me. They have no way of knowing where or if I bought it and quite frankly, i don't carry my receipts with me everywhere I go. So we go to a party, I purchase a drink and they take it off me because I took it to dinner? I don't think so!

From your signed receipt for the glass of wine.

We always purchase a bottle of wine at the International Cafe bar and the bartender keeps the bottle there. On our way to dinner we stop and get a glass of our paid for wine so there is no receipt when getting it by the glass. Now, if we do not finish the wine, we then carry it into the dining room.....so why should that glass be taken away:confused::confused:.

I understand them cracking down on bringing wine on board, that is there right to make and enforce, but it's another to take wine by the glass away because a staff member thinks it wasn't purchased on the ship:eek:

I'm with you on this one.

I rarely make a stink but if they try and take my glass of wine away they will be getting an earful and regret the decision soon enough lol.

Always carry a napkin with you and your glass of wine. ;)

No crackdown on the Sapphire. Got on in LA on mAY 4TH(AM ON BOARD NOW). Saw signs in terminal but no one cared what we had with us. Also we bought additional wine in San Francisco.

I think the Golden only ship inforcing the policy right now.

That brings up an issue that will need to be worked out. When agreeing to the passage contract, you agree to pay corkage for wine consumed in any public place. If you only bring one bottle per person you would be required to pay corkage if you brought a glass from your cabin to the DR, but if you paid corkage for a second bottle then you would presumably have the right to drink that wine anywhere. The easiest solution would be to bring a bottle with corkage prepaid to the DR and let them store the bottle if you don't finish it in one day. If you brought a glass from your cabin, hopefully they could confirm you paid corkage on at least one bottle and allow the glass into the DR. If you bought a glass of wine from a bar while waiting for a table, you or a companion would certainly have the receipt handy and you should be allowed to bring it into the DR. If some random stranger bought you a glass, then thank your luck and chug it before you go to the DR :D

Great timing on this thread. We were just looking over Princess's new itineraries to be released next week to decide what to do next. This thread makes it super easy. Land Trip!! No way I'd put up with that garbage on vacation. I have no issue with corkage but they had no idea where that glass of wine came from. Petty & Cheap.

What if someone else bought it for you? I would be beyond p*ssed if they took my glass of wine off me. They have no way of knowing where or if I bought it and quite frankly, i don't carry my receipts with me everywhere I go. So we go to a party, I purchase a drink and they take it off me because I took it to dinner? I don't think so!
I wonder if the wine glasses in the cabin are slightly different than the wine glasses in the bars/dining rooms? In know the highball glasses are different. Still leaves IECalCruiser's question up for discussion, though.

?.. I also noticed that they took a glass of wine away from a woman as she entered the dining room with it one night...
I had another thought about this; could this perhaps have just been proper etiquette (so the wine glass was carried on a tray into the room instead of in hand) or did you see if they, err, 'confiscated' the glass and contents? I know I have often had my cocktail taken and carried in for me on a tray.

Why would the days for bringing a case of wine on board be numbered? Just pay the $150 corkage fee and Bob's your uncle.

According to Princess corporate, one also has the option of have wine brought on board at ports stored, or taken to their cabin if they pay the corkage fee.

Taking a glass of wine from someone, unless they are obviously drunk, is totally unacceptable. There is no possible way for anyone to account for its origin and there are literally dozens of ways it could have been legally acquired without a record, i.e., you went to a pre-dinner party in a friend's suite and they had brought a case on board and paid the corkage fees.

Are you certain about that incident? That seems absolutely over the top.

I had another thought about this; could this perhaps have just been proper etiquette (so the wine glass was carried on a tray into the room instead of in hand) or did you see if they, err, 'confiscated' the glass and contents? I know I have often had my cocktail taken and carried in for me on a tray.

I've carried a wine of glass into the dining room a few times, and they have always taken it from me and carried it to my table for me. Usually they make a big production and I tease them about not spilling my wine. :p

Even going through all the rubbish we did on the march 27 sailing that we did, the galss removal is an all time low, thats a worry for the future of this cruise line. Something BIG is going wrong at princess. Even looking at prices for Europe med cruises, Princess 12 night cruises are $799 all summer long, RCCL are at least $1100, whats going wrong at Princess, they cant fill there ships at a decent revenue and now they do this to there passengers

If maybe they were simply carrying the glass to the table for her, they use to do that as well.

I wonder if the wine glasses in the cabin are slightly different than the wine glasses in the bars/dining rooms? In know the highball glasses are different. Still leaves IECalCruiser's question up for discussion, though.

There are some differences in glasses. While on the Ruby, our waiter replaced our MDR wine glasses with glasses from Vines thinking we would prefer the "Vines" glasses. He thought he was providing extra service - unfortuantely we preferred the MDR glass and let him know.

We are elite, have the mini bar set up. Since they have been watering down drinks at the Captain's cocktail party and when we have ordered a martini it often takes forever to get a drink, we have decided to bring our own from our cabin mini bar, if we go. Some times we pass on the event. Folks could do the same with wine, from their mini bar. I would think this is acceptable.

And, there would be absolutely nothing wrong with taking your own wine into the dining room once you had paid the corkage fee on your own wine at boarding, either initially or at a port of call.

Archived