Wine policy strictly enforced on Golden Cruise 4/24

GweninTX

There are some differences in glasses. While on the Ruby, our waiter replaced our MDR wine glasses with glasses from Vines thinking we would prefer the "Vines" glasses. He thought he was providing extra service - unfortuantely we preferred the MDR glass and let him know.

The glasses I get from room service and the glasses I pick up myself from another bar (usually Crooners), are identical.

I've carried a wine of glass into the dining room a few times, and they have always taken it from me and carried it to my table for me. Usually they make a big production and I tease them about not spilling my wine. :p

We've had similar experiences. If we are eating later, we often stop for a glass of wine or cocktail prior to dinner and I sometimes finish mine in the dining room. It has been carried for me, but no one has ever attempted to take it away....without returning it, that is:p! Our last Princess sailing was in July, so I don't have the very latest info. Thank you OP for sharing your experience.

I love Princess and have enjoyed being able to bring a few bottles of wine on board. We still ordered wine with dinner and occasional cocktails, but I loved sitting on my balcony with a glass of a favorite wine. I would prefer no corkage fee for wine consumed in the cabin, but I can live with a small fee as long as there aren't too many "rules" surrounding where I can consume wine for which I have paid the corkage fee. I'm afraid that carrying around a receipt, although very simple, wouldn't work well for me when on vacation.

I had another thought about this; could this perhaps have just been proper etiquette (so the wine glass was carried on a tray into the room instead of in hand) or did you see if they, err, 'confiscated' the glass and contents? I know I have often had my cocktail taken and carried in for me on a tray.

This has been my experience also, though rarely. There is no way that Princess would confiscate your glass of wine or cocktail.

My family of 8 will be on the Golden Sept. 1. This will be my 21st cruise with Princess since 2009. I will be following the boards regarding those headed to Alaska and what is happening with wine. I do not mind paying a corkage fee but allow me to bring wine on board and pay that fee. If I see that they are taking the wine and returning the last night of the cruise this will definitely be our last cruise with Princess. Unfortunately wine packages are not on all cruises and you will not know if it is available until you are onboard. Princess better get their act together on this or they definitely will be losing business.

We were also on this cruise. We're not big wine drinkers so I don't care but I had been reading all the posts about the wine before our cruise. Because of being aware of this, one night I noticed two women sitting down at a table near us in the MDR and one of them was carrying a glass of wine so they didn't take it away from her. We had two bottles in our carryon and like the other poster said they had us go to a table and they marked it down - they were very nice. We drank it in our room.

When I cruise Princess I know that I am limited to one bottle of carry on wine per person. I order a wine package to be delivered to the stateroom so that I can have additional bottles available when those two carry on bottles are gone. I can consume in the room and I usually take a glass to the dining room - the waiter will usually ask if he can carry it to the table for me - never had it confiscated. Princess can make whatever rules it wants and when I book with them I am agreeing to accept their rules.

I just got back from my first HAL cruise. They have a 4 bottle limit per person when boarding and were allowing carry on at port stops. I like that policy but I still have a variety of reasons when choosing a cruise line such as ship amenities, itinerary, etc. Wine policy is not one of. I will be on the Royal Princess Maiden TA cruise in October and am hoping to pick up a couple bottles of good Italian vino before embarking in Venice to carry on, but I will also plan on ordering a wine package from Princess.

How can the know if the wine came from a bottle in your room you brought on or from a bottle at a ship's bar??

My guess would be it would be quite obvious if it was a proper bar pour of a few ounces, versus filled to the rim from your own wine source. Could also use different glasses as was suggested at the bar.

I just got back from my first HAL cruise. They have a 4 bottle limit per person when boarding and were allowing carry on at port stops. I like that policy but I still have a variety of reasons when choosing a cruise line such as ship amenities, itinerary, etc. Wine policy is not one of. I will be on the Royal Princess Maiden TA cruise in October and am hoping to pick up a couple bottles of good Italian vino before embarking in Venice to carry on, but I will also plan on ordering a wine package from Princess.

HAL currently has no limit. I wonder if the 4 bottle limit was a trial before going fleet wide.

http://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise-vacation-planning/PlanningAndAdvice.action?tabName=Shipboard+Life&contentMenu=Onboard+Policies&contentSubMenu=Can+I+Bring+Alcoholic+Beverages+Onboard?

Friends who just dropped $18,000 on a cabin aren't going to be happy.

My guess would be it would be quite obvious if it was a proper bar pour of a few ounces, versus filled to the rim from your own wine source. Could also use different glasses as was suggested at the bar.

I noticed people on our last cruise with well filled wine glasses and knew where it had come from.

My family of 8 will be on the Golden Sept. 1. This will be my 21st cruise with Princess since 2009. I will be following the boards regarding those headed to Alaska and what is happening with wine. I do not mind paying a corkage fee but allow me to bring wine on board and pay that fee. If I see that they are taking the wine and returning the last night of the cruise this will definitely be our last cruise with Princess. Unfortunately wine packages are not on all cruises and you will not know if it is available until you are onboard. Princess better get their act together on this or they definitely will be losing business.

We will be on the Golden with some friends for the cruise immediately prior to yours and plan on taking a case of wine on board and paying the $150 corkage fee for the ten bottles in excess of our two "free" bottle.

Don't worry, if the staff don't correctly understand the new policies before we board, they most definitely will after we board. :)

I plan to make certain to have a copy of my boarding pass and luggage tags available. The policy clearly states:

"Additional wine or champagne bottles are welcome, but will incur a $15 corkage fee each, irrespective of where they are intended to be consumed."

Once you have paid your corkage fee to board your wine, you should be able to take glasses anywhere you please.

We are elite, have the mini bar set up. Since they have been watering down drinks at the Captain's cocktail party and when we have ordered a martini it often takes forever to get a drink, we have decided to bring our own from our cabin mini bar, if we go. Some times we pass on the event. Folks could do the same with wine, from their mini bar. I would think this is acceptable.

Actually, I have always been able to get a nice strong drink at the Captain Circle party... You just have to order something, not pick something from the trays...

Antsp seems to be very unhappy with Princess. So, what would be the solution?

Cruise Junky, your friends paid $18,000 for a cruise, which includes the following: accommodations (nice ones I am sure), food, entertainment, etc. Nowhere does it state that it should include wine or alcohol. With the policy now just being enforced, only HAL will let you bring unlimited wine, and that is probably going to come to an end soon too. My point is if you can afford to cruise, you can afford to buy a bottle of wine onboard. I would much rather have wine/alcohol policy strictly enforced than having fares raised...

Based on Princess statements & from those who have experienced it the only bottles kept until the end of the cruise are those we want to bring home & not to drink onboard. Initially there was a concern that all bottles including those we're bringing home would be charged corkage fees & Princess clarified it saying they'd hold it without a fee until the night before disembarkation. Additional bottles beyond the 1 free per person per cruise will incur the $15/bottle corkage fee to enjoy in the MDR or cabin.

I had another thought about this; could this perhaps have just been proper etiquette (so the wine glass was carried on a tray into the room instead of in hand) or did you see if they, err, 'confiscated' the glass and contents? I know I have often had my cocktail taken and carried in for me on a tray.

I, too, have often had my drink (wine or mixed drink) carried in for me. I wouldn't leap to the conclusion that this was a punitive action.

Cruise Junky, your friends paid $18,000 for a cruise, which includes the following: accommodations (nice ones I am sure), food, entertainment, etc. Nowhere does it state that it should include wine or alcohol. With the policy now just being enforced, only HAL will let you bring unlimited wine, and that is probably going to come to an end soon too. My point is if you can afford to cruise, you can afford to buy a bottle of wine onboard. I would much rather have wine/alcohol policy strictly enforced than having fares raised...

My Post was about HAL not Princess.

Based on Princess statements & from those who have experienced it the only bottles kept until the end of the cruise are those we want to bring home & not to drink onboard. Initially there was a concern that all bottles including those we're bringing home would be charged corkage fees & Princess clarified it saying they'd hold it without a fee until the night before disembarkation. Additional bottles beyond the 1 free per person per cruise will incur the $15/bottle corkage fee to enjoy in the MDR or cabin.

I'm glad to hear this. We do the Coastal to Vancouver and when we do we bring alcohol specifically to drink/leave in Vancouver at our home there. We have no intention of drinking it on board so I wouldn't care if they kept it until the end. I would be very upset, however, if they poured it out. I'll never forget one cruise we boarded with an entire carryon filled with alcohol. I figured it they didn't take it off me than they never would LOL. My DH could barely lift the suitcase up to get it through the scanner.

I'm glad to hear this. We do the Coastal to Vancouver and when we do we bring alcohol specifically to drink/leave in Vancouver at our home there. We have no intention of drinking it on board so I wouldn't care if they kept it until the end. I would be very upset, however, if they poured it out. I'll never forget one cruise we boarded with an entire carryon filled with alcohol. I figured it they didn't take it off me than they never would LOL. My DH could barely lift the suitcase up to get it through the scanner.

My post was about wine & I seem to recall reading recently that alcohol is being discarded. I could be wrong because I only bring wine onboard & not other types of alcohol.

Friends who just dropped $18,000 on a cabin aren't going to be happy.

Understood!!! My parents always book suites and my Dad is not happy with Princess. :(:(

Being exempt from the wine policy is not a suite benefit & I feel that no matter what type of cabin booked everyone should have the same wine policy. :rolleyes:

Being exempt from the wine policy is not a suite benefit & I feel that no matter what type of cabin booked everyone should have the same wine policy. :rolleyes:

Again, my post was about HAL, not Princess. The post I was responding too was about HAL's apparently new unknown 4 bottle limit. My friends just booked under HAL's Website rule of Unlimited. No one is saying suites should be different, so thanks for the rolling eyes, but totally uncalled for.

WOW!! I’ve never so many people get so upset about wine. So does all this this mean I can’t bring the half rack of my favorite beer, a 12 pack of soda for the bottle of Whiskey that I put in my carryon bag, been doing it for 5 cruises and no one has said a word.

WOW!! I’ve never so many people get so upset about wine. So does all this this mean I can’t bring the half rack of my favorite beer, a 12 pack of soda for the bottle of Whiskey that I put in my carryon bag, been doing it for 5 cruises and no one has said a word.

You can bring all the soda you want, beer has always been iffy and whiskey has always been a no no. However..................... ;););)

Again, my post was about HAL, not Princess. The post I was responding too was about HAL's apparently new unknown 4 bottle limit. My friends just booked under HAL's Website rule of Unlimited. No one is saying suites should be different, so thanks for the rolling eyes, but totally uncalled for.

I know that your friends are with HAL & only included your post because 'spingal' used it about her dad's unhappiness with Princess.

My apologies for not being clear enough & the rolling eyes was for her post seeming to indicate that those paying more for suites should be treated differently with the wine policy.

Nope. It appears that Princess is begining to enforce the rules we have all been agreeing to for years.

Thanks for the replies. Being the renegade I’ve always been I think I’ll bring what I normally bring and see what happens. What’s the difference if I bring a bottle of Crown Royal or 2 bottles of $2 Chuck from Traders Joe’s.

Archived