What to do in Naples, Italy for the day?

Kiwi_cruiser

Naples it self is a busy noisy town,but full of intresting places to walk to and vist.We love visting Naples :):)

If you've never been a tour down the Amalfi coast,vist to Herrcullaneum or a hydrofoil to Capri.Try joining a private tour

A port day at Naples offers weeks worth of things to see and do, including but not limited to:

• downtown Naples, which you can simply walk off the ship and see on your own (castles, royal apartments, archeology museum, art museums, churches, ancient ruins, food, etc.)
  • Pompei
  • Herculeneum
  • Vesuvio
  • the Amalfi Coast
  • Capri
  • Caserta (royal palace and gardens that rival Versailles)

• 2 weeks later...

We took a 1/2 day tour through our ship to Pompeii. It was much better than I expected, learned a ton of historical facts, and the views with Mt. Vesuvius behind us were amazing !!Came back and we we starving.....so what better to do than walk around Naples and find some delicious pizza..yum:)

If you like history, I would visit the ruins at Pompeii and/or Herculaneum.

I would either do this on a ships tour or a private tour.

Yes, I know some will say you can do it on your own which you could but for your first visit I would do an organized tour.

However, if you would like to see breathtaking scenery and stop at some small towns then I would consider the drive on the Amalfi Coast.

If you do something like Pompeii then you could return to Naples in the early afternoon and you could have some great pizza as Krispie5 mentioned.

Keith

We have never been to Naples before and I was wondering what is their to do there?

Any tips/advise/ideas are very welcome. :)

Naples might well be the port with the most great options for a cruiser in the world. In my signature below is a link to some Italy videos with lots made from 3 separate days at Naples. The easiest great day out is Capri - just catch a hydrofoil there from the dock right next to your ship. All the best, Tony

We were in Naples recently on a port call, and having done Amalfi Coast, Capri and Pompeii previously, we decided to stay in town. We walked from the pier to the archaeology musuem (which was great) and then had pizza at Sorbillo (also really great).

As noted earlier, Naples is a busy, bustling city, but we had a great time walking about.

I love Naples. If I had a day, I would visit the Archeological museum which has some fascinating exhibits. Then I would have a long slow lunch lingering over some wine and then just walk the streets. I can spend hours just wandering around the Spaccanapoli area.

Our first trip to Naples in 2013 we booked Rome in Limo to go to Pompeii, Sorrento and Positano. It was a fabulous day!

Our next trip in 2016 we plan to take the ferry to Capri.

Truly, there is almost too much to do in Naples! I wish we had 2 days there, I would LOVE to go back to Positano and Sorrento!

Naples was one of our ports of call on a cruise a couple of years ago. Neither the city itself nor nearby ruins appealed to us. We took the boat down to Sorrento and just walked around and really enjoyed it.

Everyone seems to be recommending Capri, but we thought it would be too busy, so we chose Sorrento instead.

A couple we met through Cruise Critic took a small group of us on a walking tour through the main downtown area. One of the biggest surprises was the extensive Roman and Greek ruins which have been excavated under a major church - billed as "Naples Underground".

We have been to Naples twice and I agree with everyone here that this really should be a 2 day stop. The first trip we went on small private tour with a CC group to Pompeii and then to the Amalfi Coast. It was wonderful and our tour guide was amazing and funny. Just the road trip to the coast was incredible!

The second time we just wanted to see Naples so we took the bus to the Archeological museum and walked through the city back to the port. Naples is vibrant and gritty, unlike any other cruise stop. We went to shops and Churches and the Sansevero Chapel which houses one of the most beautiful and transfixing statues in the world. We had pizza and just enjoyed a great time in a very Italian city. I know there is crime, but to be honest I felt safer there than I had in other cities. Nobody "bumped" us like we had be jostled in Rome, Athens or Barcelona (pickpockets)

I don't think you can go wrong with whatever you choose to do in Naples.

Our stop in Naples was one of the best days we spent on our cruise a few years ago when we sailed on NCL Jade. Like so many newbies, we did the expensive ship's excursions on a prior Mediterranean cruise with RCI. After that, I got wise, and went the private route, which is absolutely the best decision for anyone who wants to see as much as they can in the little amount of time you are in a particular port. We had 6 people in our group (myself, DH, DD, DS and my 70-something parents). We hired Your Tour in Italy for our private excursions for Rome and Naples. I can't praise this company enough. Our guide for Naples was Dominico. He was absolutely amazing. First, we drove along the Amalfi Coast, which is absolutely breathtaking. Not something I would recommend doing yourself -- too dangerous and the driver would not get to take in the views. Next, we stopped in Positano to stroll down the cobbled streets. Dominico took us to a great italian restaurant at the top of the mountain for an amazing lunch and homemade lemoncello. The views overlooking the coast were amazing to say the least. After that we continued to Sorrento to walk around a bit. Great little town with nice shops to explore. Finally, we went to Pompeii, where we met up with an expert guide (arranged by YTII). We spent a couple of hours there, and although it had been second time to Pompeii for my family, having an expert guide was so much more efficient than our first time with the larger group on the ship's tour. And, this private tour was much less expensive than the ship's tours.

This was my family's second time visiting the Naples port, but it was my parents' first time ever in Italy (or Europe for that matter). My mother still talks about that day and how much she loved it. I would do this itinerary again and again, and I would definitely hire a private guide (YTII especially for me) each time.

• 2 months later...

Have to agree with some of the others that Naples has more options then most ports in the world. DW and I have been there about 15 times (lost count) on cruises and still find new things to do and see when we do not want to repeat. And with all those visits (including several lengthy driving trips where we happened to be in the area) we have yet to visit the island of Procida (this place will probably be in our future).

So when somebody asks us "what to do" are usual response is that YOU (not moi) need to look at all the options and decide what best meets your own needs/wants. I could tell you that Pompeii is great, but you might be somebody who has no interest in ruins or history. We would add that for those of us who are DIYers this port makes it possible to just about anything you want on your own (but you do need to do your homework). The one possible exception is the Amalfi Coast which is best done on a private tour for all but the most experienced travelers.

Hank

This is one port I realy was not excited about but it ended up being my favorite!!

I now book my cruises making sure I stop in naples.

I use italytoursharing.com for thei amalfi coast tour that includes positano sorrento ravello and lunch at la taggliano....it is honestly my FAVORITE!!!

In fact I have italytoursharing.com booked again for june..it's going to be my fourth time. Italytoursharing.com includes the lunch in their price so it works out to be a great deal...

The lunch is family style so u get pasta. Breads, appetizers, the food keeps morning. Unlimited wine, Lemonchello and a big tray of assorted Italian desserts... I can't wait to go back!!

This is one port I realy was not excited about but it ended up being my favorite!!

I now book my cruises making sure I stop in naples.

I use italytoursharing.com for thei amalfi coast tour that includes positano sorrento ravello and lunch at la taggliano....it is honestly my FAVORITE!!!

In fact I have italytoursharing.com booked again for june..it's going to be my fourth time. Italytoursharing.com includes the lunch in their price so it works out to be a great deal...

The lunch is family style so u get pasta. Breads, appetizers, the food keeps morning. Unlimited wine, Lemonchello and a big tray of assorted Italian desserts... I can't wait to go back!!

Just curious -- with so many things on offer from Naples, are you saying you've done the same tour four times?? :confused:

I need to get serious about this. Having done all the other usual things from Naples, this time we are headed to the archeological museum. Can someone please tell me how to get there from the cruise port?

Any suggestions for anything else not to miss after the museum?

With the opening of the new Municipio metro stop close to the port, it seems like it would be quite easy to take the metro from there to the Museo stop (3 stops). You could also walk -- but I'd reserve that for walking back, as it's mostly uphill going and mostly downhill returning... Or of course, you could take a taxi.

What else interests you? There are some extensive Roman ruins underneath San Lorenzo Maggiore -- but of course nothing like you'll find in Pompeii or Herculaneum:

http://www.napoliunplugged.com/location/san-lorenzo-maggiore-church-and-monumental-complex

There are various Naples Underground tours that also visit some interesting sites, including the ancient theatre (where Nero supposedly performed), underground aqueducts, and tunnels where the Neopolitans hid out during WWII bombing raids.

I'm sure euro cruiser can add some NON-excavation themed highlights! ;)

Just curious -- with so many things on offer from Naples, are you saying you've done the same tour four times?? :confused:

HAHAHAHA….. I had to laugh at this one Cynthia.

We have been to Naples 5 times …… we have done the same tour with APTours 4 of those times. Yes, the same tour.

In all fairness tho an explanation is needed. First time we did a group tour with some folks on our roll call. This was our very first cruise in the Med and our first time to Europe. Safety in numbers I guess.

Second time had sister and brother in law with us and they had never been.

Third time we did it alone. Just dh and myself. We had more control over where, when and how long……

And the last time we had my son and daughter in law with us…..they had never been.

Each time we went to Pompeii we asked for the same guide and she knows us well now :D She managed to show us new stuff each time as well as the good stuff for those who were with us and never been.

Once we did La Tagliata (the one where we were alone) and it was waaaay overrated in my opinion.

I never tire of this area……. eating, shopping, exploring and just soaking up La Dolce Vita ……aaaahhh amore.

The one time we didn't take APTours I was feeling bad with a terrible head cold caught while on the cruise (half the ship was sick) so we headed to the archeological museum for the morning, had a wonderful Napolatano pizza ! Then back to the ship for a nap (my Nyquil required this :eek:)

So - in summation it is possible to do the same thing over and over again if its that good :)

HAHAHAHA….. I had to laugh at this one Cynthia.

We have been to Naples 5 times …… we have done the same tour with APTours 4 of those times. Yes, the same tour.

In all fairness tho an explanation is needed. First time we did a group tour with some folks on our roll call. This was our very first cruise in the Med and our first time to Europe. Safety in numbers I guess.

Second time had sister and brother in law with us and they had never been.

Third time we did it alone. Just dh and myself. We had more control over where, when and how long……

And the last time we had my son and daughter in law with us…..they had never been.

I guess there is something to be said for traveling on my own.... ;) Much as I love, for example, the Colosseum -- I wouldn't want to visit it trip after trip after trip. Every third or fourth visit would be fine though..... :D

Kind of reminds me of someone who said they did not want to return to Rome because they had "seen everything" on 2 previous cruise port day trips. When I started to ask them about "seeing everything" they told me that they had taken the same ship's tour on both visits and saw "everything twice." Just had to roll my eyes and change the subject :).

And we also have a very dear friend who once spent a week in Paris and hated the city. Why? He complained that "everything was so old." sigh!

Hank

Edited by Hlitner