Hop On/Hop Off Bus in Rome?

Lois R

Hi,:) this board seems to always have good information:)

so I have another question please:D

My flight is supposed to arrive at 9:30 (sailing in May)

and by the time I get to the hotel it will be about noon?....I am staying

at "A View Of Rome".

My question is......does anyone have information about the Hop On

Hop Off Bus? I went to Trip Advisor and the reviews are not very

good:eek:....would ya'll know if there is more than 1 company that

offers it?

I think (for me) this might be the best way to see the area.

I only have that afternoon and evening and then off to the ship

the next morning:)

Would love to hear your thoughts.

Thank you.

Hi Lois,

Rome really isn't that big -- not the central historic area. I have tried two different HOHO buses over the years and I'm afraid I have to agree with what you've read on Tripadvisor. I just don't think they are worth it IF you aren't mobility impaired.

They simply cannot get close to every monument; some you cannot see from the bus. And if you want to get on and get off, you often spend a lot of time waiting, waiting, waiting for the next bus to show up.

And the last thing -- the traffic in Rome can be so bad that you will actually end up getting somewhere faster on foot.

Edited by cruisemom42

Hi Lois,

Rome really isn't that big -- not the central historic area. I have tried two different HOHO buses over the years and I'm afraid I have to agree with what you've read on Tripadvisor. I just don't think they are worth it IF you aren't mobility impaired.

They simply cannot get close to every monument; some you cannot see from the bus. And if you want to get on and get off, you often spend a lot of time waiting, waiting, waiting for the next bus to show up.

And the last thing -- the traffic in Rome can be so bad that you will actually end up getting somewhere faster on foot.

Ohhh.......ok....I will re-think things.....

There are about 5 or so different HO-HO buses in Rome. I agree with CruiseMom's comments about them. But since you're traveling alone and only have a short time in Rome, it might be a great option for you. The site that is probably the farthest from you is the Coliseum and the HO-HO buses drop you off right there.

Taxis would cost more, but would save time.

If you're interested in riding public buses, I can tell you what bus numbers take you to different sites. (I saw on your other post that you switched hotels and you'll now in the part of Rome where I love to stay. I also posted a note to you on that thread.)

On a side note, be sure to keep your money and credit cards secure when in Europe. DH and I use a 'hidden pocket' which has a loop that you loop your belt through and the 'pocket' tucks inside your pants.

We're considering the Roma Cristiana HOHO 3-day for 25 euro that includes metro, bus & tram passes.

The 3-day public trans. pass runs 11 euro.

One of our friends who's traveling with us has never been to Rome and our thought is that the HOHO will give her a view of sites that we won't be visiting, e.g. the Colosseum, Palatine Hill, etc. Plus it will get us closer to some of the churches such as St. John Lateran that the other HOHOs don't.

I am a proponents of the Ho Ho buses. I have found in my travels that the Ho Ho buses are a very good introduction to the cities we visit. In a few hours, we get an overview of the city and its geography. We get a sense of distances between sights and can even make decisions if there are some sights not worth going to. We took it in Rome and it was nice to see everything in a short period. It made our planning for the time we were there easier.

That will really rub some people on this forum the wrong way but I do think it is worth the few hours time and few Euros money.

Anyway here is a site that may help pick one of the HoHo services for you.

http://www.rometoolkit.com/whattodo/rome_hop_on_tour_bus.htm

I also found Ron in Rome a great sight with tons of info and insight.

***************************/ or roninrome dot com if the website gets starred out.

Edited by pete_coach

I am a proponents of the Ho Ho buses. I have found in my travels that the Ho Ho buses are a very good introduction to the cities we visit. In a few hours, we get an overview of the city and its geography. We get a sense of distances between sights and can even make decisions if there are some sights not worth going to. We took it in Rome and it was nice to see everything in a short period. It made our planning for the time we were there easier.

That will really rub some people on this forum the wrong way but I do think it is worth the few hours time and few Euros money.

***************************/ or roninrome dot com if the website gets starred out.

I agree! We are two older ladies with mobility issues and we found the HO HO buses very helpful. I had been to Rome about 20 years ago, and the walking didn't bother me then, so I knew the distances involved, and what I wanted to show my friend. We bought the 48 hr pass and used the HO HO both days. I divided up the city and did the Northern section on day 1, then on the second day, rode the bus around to the Colliseum and did the Southern section on day 2. The bus got us close enough to the sights to save a lot of walking, and we were gone from the hotel from about 8:00 am until 5:00 pm both days.

But then I like HO HO buses, have used them in New York City, San Francisco, Sydney, Melbourne and Rome. They aren't for everyone, but they do give you a good overview of the city. And even sitting in traffic, it was an excellent people watching venue.

I bought the tickets on-line at viator dot com, so they were paid for in US $$ before we even left the States.

Edited by agabbymama

Hi, thanks for the link:) it has alot of good information on it!

Why would you taking the HOHO bus rub people the wrong way?:eek:

It is your choice.....if someone has an issue with it? It is their

problem, not yours;)

I am only going to be in Rome for one day and so I was thinking

it would be a fun way to see the area. I was just a bit concerned

about the reviews on Trip Advisor.

Not sure at this point what I will be doing, but that is why I love

this site:D

Some folks take a difference of opinion personally.

I find the HOHO buses in Rome a waste of time and money, except for those with mobility issues. Unlike many other cities where a HOHO bus can be a big help for tourists, the historical center of Rome is extremely compact and easy to traverse on foot.

Traffic prevents the buses from getting around efficiently and old, narrow streets mean that they can't get close to many of the key sites in Rome.

Newer, more spread out cities make more sense for HOHO bus users, like Barcelona (although overcrowding negated the benefits when we used it there in the middle of the summer crush), New York and Paris.

The big thing to remember is that so many sites in Rome are in pedestrian only areas. The ho-ho buses will not get you close to the Trevi fountain for instance.

But if you do indeed hop on - then hop off - the hop on etc etc.... perhaps it would be a good choice.

I agree with the others here tho...... its just as easy to walk instead of waiting and hopping and waiting and hopping.........

For those who are mobility impaired - there is a new tour that is by golf cart type carts....... I was going to include a link but too many sites came up when I did a google search for "golf cart tours Rome" Check it out !

• 3 years later...

My traveling companion & have mobility issues & can't do a lot of walking. I have taken the Hop On Bus in a number of cities but it does not look like a very good choice for Rome. The reviews are quite negative and it looks like you do not see much as they really can't get close to many of the sights. Also, if you get off it may be a long wait for another bus. I've looked at the golf cart tours & they seem like a better option but quite pricey. (Around 200 euro pp of 2 people). Has anyone taken on of these tours? Did you feel it was worth the cost?

My traveling companion & have mobility issues & can't do a lot of walking. I have taken the Hop On Bus in a number of cities but it does not look like a very good choice for Rome. The reviews are quite negative and it looks like you do not see much as they really can't get close to many of the sights. Also, if you get off it may be a long wait for another bus. I've looked at the golf cart tours & they seem like a better option but quite pricey. (Around 200 euro pp of 2 people). Has anyone taken on of these tours? Did you feel it was worth the cost?

This thread goes back to 2012..you may want to start a new one asking same question or do a search on this board as there is some info here on someone who has used themand liked them very much.

We did one with my Mother and Father in law (she is mobility impaired)

While pricey it allowed her to experience Rome as otherwise she would not have. It did indeed take us right up to the big sites. The guide/driver was very good in sharing history and other insights too.

I, for one, feel this is a great option for those who can't walk Rome.

While pricey it allowed her to experience Rome as otherwise she would not have. It did indeed take us right up to the big sites.

Let's not overstate the case. The HOHO buses can drive right up to the Colosseum. They also drive right by Circus Maximus and Santa Maria Maggiore but I don't think these are terribly high on most first time visitors's lists. You can get a quick view of the outer edge of the Roman Forum as you drive by.

The buses cannot get close enough to see St. Peter's (the bus drives by about a half mile down Via della Conciliazione from the basilica), Trevi Fountain, the Pantheon, Piazza Navona, or Campo dei Fiori. There are stops you can use to walk to these sites but it's disingenuous to imply that you can see the sites of Rome while sitting on a bus.

Let's not overstate the case. The HOHO buses can drive right up to the Colosseum. They also drive right by Circus Maximus and Santa Maria Maggiore but I don't think these are terribly high on most first time visitors's lists. You can get a quick view of the outer edge of the Roman Forum as you drive by.

The buses cannot get close enough to see St. Peter's (the bus drives by about a half mile down Via della Conciliazione from the basilica), Trevi Fountain, the Pantheon, Piazza Navona, or Campo dei Fiori. There are stops you can use to walk to these sites but it's disingenuous to imply that you can see the sites of Rome while sitting on a bus.

I believe Texan Cruzer was talking about doing the golf cart tour.

Hi,:) this board seems to always have good information:)

so I have another question please:D

My flight is supposed to arrive at 9:30 (sailing in May)

and by the time I get to the hotel it will be about noon?....I am staying

at "A View Of Rome".

My question is......does anyone have information about the Hop On

Hop Off Bus? I went to Trip Advisor and the reviews are not very

good:eek:....would ya'll know if there is more than 1 company that

offers it?

I think (for me) this might be the best way to see the area.

I only have that afternoon and evening and then off to the ship

the next morning:)

Would love to hear your thoughts.

Thank you.

What did you decide to do? I am also a solo female.

What did you decide to do? I am also a solo female.

Hi:)...oh my....my cruise was 3 years ago.....I ended up taking a

private tour...I used a company called "A FRIEND IN ROME"

and it was me and my tourguide. Her name was Sylvia and my day

was fabulous. I decided to splurge and I am glad I did.:) she picked

me up at my B&B and we walked for the day.....she took me all around

Rome and I ended up at a restaurant at the front of the Pantheon where

I had a dinner with a group from my roll call.

This was the best cruise I have ever taken......I will remember it for

the rest of my life:)

Edited by Lois R

Euro Cruiser - read my post again !!!!!!

I have never used a ho-ho bus !!!! :eek:

We did do a golf cart tour on our 4th Med cruise because my mother in law is mobility challenged…… it DID allow her to get up close and see a lot she would not have seen had we not done it. They did drive right up most sites. At Trevi we were ALMOST close enough to toss our coin ! Pantheon we were right up to the door almost. Piazza Navonna we drove thru it !

While my husband and I love to walk Rome - this was not really an option with his parents in tow…… and the golf cart tour worked great for us !

Sorry! I read the post but not the quote you were responding to. The golf cart tours do sound like a great alternative for the mobility impaired.

Was it a bouncy ride on the cobblestones?

Surprisingly not bad. There were a few areas that were a bit bouncy….. some of the older cobble areas - but for the most part it was nice. I have some video I took that would show the quality of the ride, but don't have a clue how to post it here…….

It is pricey, but for those who are mobility impaired and are doing Rome as a one shot trip (my inlaws will not be able to return for health reasons) it is A WONDERFUL ALTERNATIVE !!!!

Edited by texancruzer

I'm going to chime in here…

My trip last April/May, I took the HoHo one day. I was going over to Vatican City and I wasn't in the mood for a long walk in the morning (a little too much wine the previous night :D ). My hotel was across from the US Embassy, so I walked down the Via Veneto to Piazza Barberini. All the HoHo companies ( I saw at least 3 different ones) pick up there. I bought an all-day ticket and settled in for a leisurely ride to Vatican City. It was good for what I used it for. I will say that, other than the Emmanuel Vittorio, Colosseum/Forum and Borghese Park, I would not say that I got up close to anything. It was several long blocks from the drop off point to St. Peter's Square. On the way back, I did have to wait for the third bus before there was a seat (I was solo, so I wasn't looking for seats together, but any random seat).

The HoHo did what I needed it to do for me that day - get me over to Vatican City AND get me out in the City instead of recovering in the hotel.

I

One might want to consider that Rome has an excellent low cost public transit system (buses and Metro) that can get a person from point A to point B much cheaper (and often without a long wait) then the HoHos. We do see some advantage to HoHos for those who just want to ride around the city. But Rome (and many other cities like Paris) are best explored on foot by those who are capable of lots of walking. We would add that there are at least 5 different HoHo companies operating buses in Rome and the tickets are not compatible between the companies. Some of these bus lines charge prices of around $25 for just one day. So we are talking $50 per couple! A one day Metro/bus pass is less than $8 which gives one unlimited use of all public buses and the metro.

Many of us also suggest that cruise passengers consider buying a one day BIRG ticket while in Civitavecchia. This ticket will cost you less then $15 and covers round trip regional trains between Civitavecchia and Rome plus all days unlimited use of Rome's Metro and bus system.

Hank

Seems that the only time I use HoHos is when I'm either sick or hungover :o

Besides this one time, I also did the HoHo in Paris. I came down with the flu the first full day I was there and spent the week in bed at the hotel. The last day in town, I was still feeling like death warmed over, but I HAD to get out and see Paris. Hopped on the HoHo and rode it around.

The bus and metro system in Rome is really very good. And, I feel safe on it - I've ridden the No. 8 tram and nearby busses at 11:30 at night solo and had no bones about it (one of the best restaurants in town is at the far end of the tram). I make use of all transportation Rome has to offer, metro, bus, taxi, foot, and now HoHo. Yeah, the HoHo isn't cheap, but sometimes it's just a good way to get fresh air and see the town, not necessarily see "the sights" - there is a difference.