Business Class to Tokyo

ano

So we are taking a cruise out of Tokyo in October. We booked seats on American Airlines through Princess in Business Class. Were on flights AA169 and AA170 which is a 777-200. (LAX to Tokyo)

So from what I can tell, America Airlines will be deploying a new Business Class seating arrangement between now and then. Their seat map shows rows of 4 seats, with a single row by the left window, another single row in the middle, and a double row of seats by the right side. I have searched everywhere but can't find a picture of this. Alternate seats face forward and backwards.

I've checked SeatGuru, and called American Airlines, but neither is any help. SeatGuru doesn't even list such an arrangement.

Something like this:

X___X___XX

X___X___XX

X___X___XX

X___X___XX

X___X___XX

_________X<--This seat is only one in this row.

X___X___XX

X___X___XX

X___X___XX

X___X___XX

Ever seat alternates between front facing and rear facing. 37 seats total.

This is a LONG flight, and neither my wife or I are great on these long flights, so we want to be near each other, but were not sure how to accomplish this.

Anyone seen any announcement that matches this seat arrangement? Only about 3 or 4 seats are occupied on these flights but were not sure of the seats to pick.

Edited by ano

Some airlines will allow you to select your seat up to a few months out. Check with American on how early you can reserve your seats.

With your airline booking code or e-ticket # you should be able to do this online and book a pair of seats next to each other.

We already reserved our seats (both ways) for our upcoming trip to China this summer on Cathy Pacific.

Edited by Philob

I will try Flyertalk. That is a real good site. SeatGuru has never answered my email.

The problem isn't reserving the seat. I can do that through the Princess web site. The problem is understanding what the seats look like.

I will try Flyertalk. That is a real good site. SeatGuru has never answered my email.

The problem isn't reserving the seat. I can do that through the Princess web site. The problem is understanding what the seats look like.

What do you mean about SeatGuru not answering your email?

It's not typically a "Q&A" website.

It's not intended to have interactive exchanges like Flyertalk... or CruiseCritic.

Or is it...?

Have we missed a useful feature of SeatGuru?

:confused:

I agree that Flyertalk is the better website for questions like this - it's a great site and the regulars in the forums have all sort of great info.

Still, I'd be very surprised to see a 1-1-2 configuration; 1-2-1 would be much more likely. Not only is 1-1-2 unevenly weighted, it won't offer every passenger easy aisle access, which is usually a priority.

SeatGuru doesn't even list such an arrangement.
Yes, it does. It's this one: https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/American_Airlines/American_Airlines_Boeing_777-200_C.php

The seat lettering confirms this. If you look at the economy seating, an A seat is a window seat in the left side block; a D seat is an aisle seat on the left-hand side of the centre block; an H seat is an aisle seat on the right-hand side of the centre block; and an L seat is a window seat in the right side block.

In AA's system, the correspondingly lettered seats in the business class cabin have the same attributes, although each row only has seats A, D, H and L.

So as expected, it's 1-2-1. I don't know where you got that image from, but it's clearly misleading.

Yes, it does. It's this one: https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/American_Airlines/American_Airlines_Boeing_777-200_C.php

The seat lettering confirms this. If you look at the economy seating, an A seat is a window seat in the left side block; a D seat is an aisle seat on the left-hand side of the centre block; an H seat is an aisle seat on the right-hand side of the centre block; and an L seat is a window seat in the right side block.

In AA's system, the correspondingly lettered seats in the business class cabin have the same attributes, although each row only has seats A, D, H and L.

So as expected, it's 1-2-1. I don't know where you got that image from, but it's clearly misleading.

So looking at your link, some people would be flying backwards in Business if they were in the central section. Is that indeed the case?

So looking at your link, some people would be flying backwards in Business if they were in the central section. Is that indeed the case?
Not only the centre block but also the window seats too. If you hover over the seats on that seatguru page, you'll see pop-ups that describe each seat.

For example, 1A, 1D and 1H are rear-facing seats; 1L is a forward-facing seat. But in the next row, 2A, 2D and 2H are forward-facing; 2L is rear-facing.

This is all as the OP pointed out, which makes it more baffling as to why they couldn't see that page for this configuration on seatguru:-

So from what I can tell, America Airlines will be deploying a new Business Class seating arrangement between now and then. Their seat map shows rows of 4 seats, with a single row by the left window, another single row in the middle, and a double row of seats by the right side. I have searched everywhere but can't find a picture of this. Alternate seats face forward and backwards.

You are completely correct. THANKS. Now I see it. It didn't seem to match their layout at first, but now I see it. Thanks.

Seats_zps1yffegbu.jpeg

I don't know where you got that image from, but it's clearly misleading.

From American's Airlines when you pick your seat. The 1 & 2 are the seats we picked. (The flight is still empty in business class at this point.) I agree, very misleading diagram.

What do you mean about SeatGuru not answering your email?

It's not typically a "Q&A" website.

It's not intended to have interactive exchanges like Flyertalk... or CruiseCritic.

Or is it...?

Have we missed a useful feature of SeatGuru?

:confused:

No SeatGuru is not a discussion board, but they can easily be contacted for comments and questions.

https://www.seatguru.com/contactus.php

Rear-facing seats are said to afford more privacy. However, until they stop flying and retired those in service, A380 upper deck is the whale king of the sky !

This configuration was new for American in 2016 and much better than the one before it, but you are right, it is pretty primitive by today's standard.

I have to admit, I haven't been on an American or United flight in at least 20 years. Not paying for luggage, flight changes, seat assignments, etc. So as you might have guessed, I only fly Southwest.

Last year I had to fly Delta across the US, then took a Delta flight to Europe. The Europe economy seat was OK, but the Delta flight across the US had me so squeezed in, and it was so claustrophobic that I got sick. I couldn't believe that people fly like this all the time today. I've must have lived in an isolated Southwest "luxury" world all these years and didn't realize how bad non-Southwest travel had become.

On American we picked 4D and 4H which are next to each other but face forward. Back facing may be slightly better, but would rather face forward.

Edited by ano

This configuration was new for American in 2016 and much better than the one before it, but you are right, it is pretty primitive by today's standard.
There's nothing primitive about this. It is (as you say) new, and it's going to be around for a while yet (although not in the numbers that AA originally intended, for extraneous reasons).

There's no magic in the A380 upper deck (or main deck for that matter) either - some airlines have products that are pretty good, and others have products that are generally disliked.

Looking at the seatguru diagram for that AA seat and the handful of photos I've seen on the internet, I would have thought that a couple would be better off in a pair of rear-facing seats because they would be able to talk to each other. Conversation looks like it would be harder in a forward-facing pair because you're so far apart from each other - that was one of the things about the Cirrus seat (also found on some AA aircraft) that I didn't like so much. And I've never understood the aversion that some people seem to have to rear-facing seats on an aircraft.

And I've never understood the aversion that some people seem to have to rear-facing seats on an aircraft.

It's a brain chemistry system thing......for some people, it creates a very disorienting and occasionally nausea-inducing feeling. A very individual thing, and sometimes even a transient thing.

Looking at the seatguru diagram for that AA seat and the handful of photos I've seen on the internet, I would have thought that a couple would be better off in a pair of rear-facing seats because they would be able to talk to each other. Conversation looks like it would be harder in a forward-facing pair because you're so far apart from each other - that was one of the things about the Cirrus seat (also found on some AA aircraft) that I didn't like so much. And I've never understood the aversion that some people seem to have to rear-facing seats on an aircraft.

I have read arguments pro and con about both. Its closer together but facing away from each other and facing backwards, Or being further apart, facing toward each other. This plan has no first-class, so although its called business class, it really should be called non-economy, which means non-business people as well. I've also heard that the rear-facing seat dividers don't open, but that hasn't been confirmed.

This plan has no first-class, so although its called business class, it really should be called non-economy, which means non-business people as well. I've also heard that the rear-facing seat dividers don't open, but that hasn't been confirmed.
"Business class" usually has a lot of non-business people in it these days, so that's not really a good reason for re-naming it.

And it's properly called "business class" even if there is no "first class", because it clearly identifies the product which is fitted to the aircraft. You could properly call it "business class" even if that is the only cabin on the aircraft. There are a few "business class"-only aircraft operating for other airlines, and continuing to call it "business class" even though it's a single cabin aircraft means that everyone knows the level of product to be expected.

"Non-economy" could also mean "premium economy", which is also coming to AA soon. So that would be ambiguous and confusing.

If the dividers for the rear-facing seats don't open, then I agree that that would be a show-stopper for putting a couple in them.

I've done this config on the AA 772s last month JFK-LON. Not as good a seat as on the 777-300s but it's perfectly decent. On my flight I was fairly late to book so went for 7A which only had one window. Fine for an overnight flight in my case.

Depending upon what your experiences are inflight I think you might enjoy it, particularly if you've done AA's previous iterations of business class.

"Business class" usually has a lot of non-business people in it these days, so that's not really a good reason for re-naming it.

And it's properly called "business class" even if there is no "first class", because it clearly identifies the product which is fitted to the aircraft. You could properly call it "business class" even if that is the only cabin on the aircraft. There are a few "business class"-only aircraft operating for other airlines, and continuing to call it "business class" even though it's a single cabin aircraft means that everyone knows the level of product to be expected.

"Non-economy" could also mean "premium economy", which is also coming to AA soon. So that would be ambiguous and confusing.

If the dividers for the rear-facing seats don't open, then I agree that that would be a show-stopper for putting a couple in them.

I have no problem with the naming. The problem I do have is that American hasn't provided a seating solution for a couple who actually, wait for it, want to actually sit together and maybe easily speak during a 14 hour flight. I know that this might be a novel concept. If you read American's press release for their new super economy seats, it says “American Airlines now has something to offer every customer" We'll apparently not!

The problem I do have is that American hasn't provided a seating solution for a couple who actually, wait for it, want to actually sit together and maybe easily speak during a 14 hour flight. I know that this might be a novel concept.
You'll find some long-haul first class cabins on some top-flight airlines that don't provide such a solution, either - even though these are the most expensive seats on the aircraft. The first example that comes to mind: Qantas first class.

And there have been plenty of long-haul business class cabins that don't provide such a solution. Examples: Cathay Pacific and Virgin Atlantic herringbone business class.

If it's not good enough, then there is always economy! :D

Last year I had to fly Delta across the US, then took a Delta flight to Europe. The Europe economy seat was OK, but the Delta flight across the US had me so squeezed in, and it was so claustrophobic that I got sick. I couldn't believe that people fly like this all the time today. I've must have lived in an isolated Southwest "luxury" world all these years and didn't realize how bad non-Southwest travel had become.

and some of us can't believe that some folks want to fly in the cattle cars that are WN planes. ;)

Last year I had to fly Delta across the US, then took a Delta flight to Europe. The Europe economy seat was OK, but the Delta flight across the US had me so squeezed in, and it was so claustrophobic that I got sick. I couldn't believe that people fly like this all the time today. I've must have lived in an isolated Southwest "luxury" world all these years and didn't realize how bad non-Southwest travel had become

Delta A330: 31"-32" pitch, 18" width

Delta 747-400: 31"-32" pitch, 17.2" width

Delta 767-400: 31"-32" pitch, 17.9" pitch

Delta 777-200: 31"-32" pitch, 18.5" width

...all DL aircraft are between 17.2" and 18.5" width in the cheapest seats.

WN's 737s are all 17" width and with only 32"-33" pitch.