Hampton Inn Waterloo

Cruzinram

I have not stayed at that property, but have walked by it - it is in a good location, modern, and an easy walk to catch the direct train to Southampton or a tube to anywhere in London. Also if you plan to go to Hampton Court Waterloo is your spot as that's where the direct trains depart from.

To get there from Heathrow or Gatwick you could take the express trains to Paddington or Victoria and then switch to the tube (sometimes difficult with luggage) or hop a cab.

I had never stayed on the Southbank until my last visit to London and enjoyed the area immensely

To get there from Heathrow or Gatwick you could take the express trains to Paddington or Victoria and then switch to the tube (sometimes difficult with luggage) or hop a cab.
If you're prepared to use public transport to get in from Heathrow, and you're prepared to walk between Waterloo station and this hotel, then there are better ways of getting there than using the Heathrow Express. Piccadilly Line to Barons Court, District Line to Westminster and Jubilee Line to Waterloo would be my pick.

Even from Gatwick, I'd be thinking of getting something other than the Gatwick Express. Find a train that's reasonably fast to Clapham Junction and change there for a train to Waterloo.

Generally public transport is a good option (I commute in on a daily basis). There is however a lot of modernisation work underway causing disruption and additionally triggering some strike action.

The beauty of the Underground network is that there are many different routes to get to the key stations, so my advice would be to have a plan B, C, etc

Below is a useful link to track the line status and to find details of any planned disruption.

https://tfl.gov.uk/tube-dlr-overground/status/

I hope you're not going in August. I was narrowing in on this hotel because of its excellent reviews and proximity to Waterloo station. Just found out Waterloo is undergoing major renovation work this August and the authorities are recommending that everyone stay away.:(

http://www.timeout.com/london/blog/passengers-have-been-told-to-avoid-waterloo-station-for-a-whole-month-during-major-re-building-works-012617

You are right to highlight this, but to be clear this refers to the rail station, serving commuter and mainline services, not the underground.

That said, services to Southampton will be affected, but as far as I know no timetable details are out yet.

It has become increasingly usual for Network Rail to do these 'big bang' projects over Christmas, Easter and August (peak holiday time), taking a lot of disruption over a short period when their core commuter base is reduced, rather than less disruption over extended periods.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You are right to highlight this, but to be clear this refers to the rail station, serving commuter and mainline services, not the underground.

That said, services to Southampton will be affected, but as far as I know no timetable details are out yet.

It has become increasingly usual for Network Rail to do these 'big bang' projects over Christmas, Easter and August (peak holiday time), taking a lot of disruption over a short period when their core commuter base is reduced, rather than less disruption over extended periods.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Agreed. It's only the rail station that'll be disrupted, not the general area though there may be some traffic diversions or delays.

And yes, the priority of the public transport system - rail & tube - is the commuter. They're the bulk of the systems' passengers and they're the reason for instance why fares tend to be high at peak times and there are plenty of cheap trains at other times. Hence also disruptive maintenance & improvements are carried out on sundays, bank holidays and during vacation months.

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

I hope you're not going in August. I was narrowing in on this hotel because of its excellent reviews and proximity to Waterloo station. Just found out Waterloo is undergoing major renovation work this August and the authorities are recommending that everyone stay away.:(

http://www.timeout.com/london/blog/passengers-have-been-told-to-avoid-waterloo-station-for-a-whole-month-during-major-re-building-works-012617

We are going the end of August. Our plane does not arrive till 2245 so hiring a car may be the thing to do. Will need to figure our time to meet them after landing, getting luggage and going thru customs.

If there are problems with the trains I hope our hotel might give us guidance when we are ready to go to Southampton since it is the Hampton Waterloo.

If we're up to it, we may just use the underground that night...any problems with safety that late at night?

Edited by calliecat

• 1 month later...