Just a Tid Bit of Info

Nangelina

I thought it was interesting that my favorite port, St. Thomas has outlawed plastic shopping bags as of January 1, 2017. Recycle bags or paper bags must be used on the island by all venders and shops. The plastics bags are a detriment to the waters and their food supply it reported. Wish the US would do the same, but we know THAT WILL NEVER HAPPEN!

I thought it was interesting that my favorite port, St. Thomas has outlawed plastic shopping bags as of January 1, 2017. Recycle bags or paper bags must be used on the island by all venders and shops. The plastics bags are a detriment to the waters and their food supply it reported. Wish the US would do the same, but we know THAT WILL NEVER HAPPEN!

Plastic shopping bags bans are in effect in Hawaii and California already. There are some towns in Massachusetts that I know who also have banned the bags. Never say never.

I import bags from out of county or out of state for my garbage can in the kitchen.

:)

I find it ridiculous that I'll have to use my reusable bags to take a box of official garbage bags home to use instead of using the bags from the store. As it was we used half a garbage bag of garbage last week. And once we start composting it'll be half that. I cannot stand that I will have to buy official bags for the purpose. Grr.

And I'm an environmental, recycling, future composting type of person. But this just pushes my buttons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Portland, Maine has a fee of 5 cents for both plastic and paper shopping bags from stores. It has also banned styrofoam packaging from restaurants, etc. Took a while to get used to bringing the reusable bags, but now it's normal.

We also have "official" garbage bags, but I don't see the fee as being on the bag, it is more to reduce the number of bags being used by encouraging the free single sort recycling service.

My stepson lives in Chicago and some of the grocery stores near him do not stock the plastic bags at all. He is always grabbing a handful of the reusable bags from me.

He remembers to grab some from my car but he can't remember to put them BACK in his car after shopping. :rolleyes:

Confused. Are you talking about Hefty, Glad, etc. tall kitchen bags, lawn and leaf bags, contractors bags OR the small plastic bags WalMart and others use to bag our groceries.

Have no problem with a ban on the small plastic bage but do use the larger ones to put our garbage in for pickup. Also use a lot of Ziploc plastic bags for leftovers.

Have not heard any talk of ban in FL, yet.

Confused. Are you talking about Hefty, Glad, etc. tall kitchen bags, lawn and leaf bags, contractors bags OR the small plastic bags WalMart and others use to bag our groceries.

Have no problem with a ban on the small plastic bage but do use the larger ones to put our garbage in for pickup. Also use a lot of Ziploc plastic bags for leftovers.

Have not heard any talk of ban in FL, yet.

At least here in Portland, any trash put out that is not in an "official" 15 or 30 gallon trash bag doesn't get picked up. The small "corn starch" plastic bags and paper grocery bags are 5 cents each.

We live in Alameda County in CA and we pay 10¢ per plastic or paper bag. It took me a few months to get used to bringing my reusable bags into the store when I shop, but I finally got in the habit. I'm just glad there are so many opportunities to get free reusable bags. Giveaway days at baseball games, that kind of thing.

Along this line of discussion, if you use reusable grocery bags (cloth ones), be sure to put them in the washing machine every few uses. I was watching the news a while ago and they did a report on the bacteria found in the bags - appalling and scary! Meat juices, milk residue, etc. can fester and grow bacteria and it's pretty disgusting. :eek: So wash your bags. :D

I find the reusable bags way move convenient anyways... I can put more stuff in them, less bags to carry in and I don't end up,with thousands of plastic bags to return or recycle (or stuff under the sink)... not sure about an all out ban, however I am not opposed to charging for them as a way to encourage people to use reusable ones...

As far as banning in the Caribbean islands, plastic bags there are a much more dire problem as they lack landfill space, recycling plants and the sea life and reefs are much more fragile and the effects of the plastic bags in the water and on the beach has a serious impact on the tourism industry from which most islands exist.