Delta and priority boarding with AMEX card

rjack22

Delta advertises on their website that if you have a AMEX Skymiles credit card that one of the perks is priority boarding. I was wondering if anyone has done this and how it worked? Do they call all those with priority boarding and you just go? How do they know that you are entitled?

When you buy your tickets with your Delta AMEX card, it will show up on your boarding pass under your name, along with your Skymiles number and status (if you have) That is how they will know. Technically, if you don't buy your ticket with that AMEX, you aren't supposed to have the early access…

You will hear a few other "Zones" called before the one holders of the Delta AMEX Gold & Plat & Reserve cards. It is supposed to go like this:

Pre-boarding for customers needing extra time or assistance

First, BusinessElite and Business class passengers

Zone "Sky" — Diamond, Platinum and Gold Medallions, SkyTeam Elite Plus and Alaska MVP Gold

Zone 1 — Silver Medallion, SkyTeam Elite and Alaska MVP, Economy Comfort customers, eligible American Express cardholders, customers seated in exit rows and bulkheads, and customers who purchase Priority Boarding

Zone 2 — First group of economy class passengers

Zone 3 — Remaining economy class passengers

So, you are actually in the FOURTH group to board...

Edited by slidergirl

While you may be in the "fourth" group to board, a person with Zone 1 ticket usually boards before 75% of the other passengers. If you are flying economy (like most of us) you will be among the first economy passengers to board. We like this small perk of an AMEX card along with the first checked bag free.

While you may be in the "fourth" group to board, a person with Zone 1 ticket usually boards before 75% of the other passengers. If you are flying economy (like most of us) you will be among the first economy passengers to board. We like this small perk of an AMEX card along with the first checked bag free.

That certainly is not my experience. I find that about 75% of the planes usually board by the time Zone 1 is finished (mostly by looking at the boarding process at nearby gates, since I board with zone Premium or Sky). Still, it usually means you get room in the overhead compartment for your carry on bag.

And your comment that Zone 1 is among the first economy passengers to board is totally inaccurate. Have you ever seen the upgrade lists on the monitors at the gates at Delta's hubs? Dozens of people are usually on this list and the majority of them end up boarding with the "sky" zone, which boards BEFORE zone 1.

I find it quite amusing that Delta can't count well - "Zone 1" is really the fourth group of people to board. Sure makes it very confusing to infrequent flyers, but nothing new to Delta to deceive their customers in more ways than one.

Edited by frugaltravel

That certainly is not my experience. I find that about 75% of the planes usually board by the time Zone 1 is finished (mostly by looking at the boarding process at nearby gates, since I board with zone Premium or Sky). Still, it usually means you get room in the overhead compartment for your carry on bag.

And your comment that Zone 1 is among the first economy passengers to board is totally inaccurate. Have you ever seen the upgrade lists on the monitors at the gates at Delta's hubs? Dozens of people are usually on this list and the majority of them end up boarding with the "sky" zone, which boards BEFORE zone 1.

I find it quite amusing that Delta can't count well - "Zone 1" is really the fourth group of people to board. Sure makes it very confusing to infrequent flyers, but nothing new to Delta to deceive their customers in more ways than one.

Exactly. I've been on some elite-heavy routes where you can have 70-some people on the upgrade list for 1 seat. All those elites who didn't get the upgrade and will be sitting in economy are going to board BEFORE Zone 1 does. If you're on a 737 with 112 Econ seats or a CJ9 with 74 seats, you're going to have issues on those elite-heavy routes...

We did this last time and it was really nice. There weren't a lot of elites so we got onboard before a lot of people. You get the free checked bag immediately. Your boarding pass will give you the correct zone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I usually board in zone 1 (AMEX DL)...but DL now has for a $10.00 option early boarding...just booked DL and this option was a new one offered..have no idea in which group but assume it might be with the zone 1 passengers.

I usually board in zone 1 (AMEX DL)...but DL now has for a $10.00 option early boarding...just booked DL and this option was a new one offered..have no idea in which group but assume it might be with the zone 1 passengers.

Yep, it's Zone 1.

Another perk for having a Delta American Express card is they are now dropping the transaction fee on all foreign currency transactions when using their card.

I jsut received an email from them today. I know it was not much but this good news.

Yup, they have a name for people who do that, they are Gate Lice.

I was going to say the same thing!!!!!!! Over on the Flyertalk board, the Skymiles people actually post photos of Gate Lice :eek: They are the "assigned seat" versions of the people who would line up against the wall at a Southwest gate 2+ hours prior to a flight to be sure they got numbers 1-10 on their cards (back in the day that you got an actual number, not a "zone", and you stood in the holding pen that had your numbers - 1-30, 31-60, etc…)

It is a good idea to be near the gate so you can board as soon as zone 1 is called.

Yup, they have a name for people who do that, they are Gate Lice.

Please don't join the gate lice! Heed the gate agents when they ask folks to remain seated until their zone is called. Hanging out near the gate in hopes of being the first to board in any given zone does nothing but slow down the entire boarding process. When the Sky Zone people crowd the gate, the Premium Zone folks can't get through to board. When the Zone 1 folks crowd around, the Sky Zone folks can't board and so on and so on.

I gave my sister and her family my Delta Skymiles, which she is using in August. It appears that if she joins Skymiles and gets a Delta Skymiles AmEx card she can get 1 free checked bag for everyone under the booking? It seemed to read that they did not have to purchase the tickets with the credit card. (as far as I understood?)

I am assuming that with her getting a Skymiles account and linking this to an approved new credit card, the baggage benefit will be in place?

Anything else need to be done?

In order for up to 9 people in your sister's party to get one free bag they must be booked under the same PNR. The same holds true for boarding passes.

The Delta Gold Amex card also offers a mileage bonus after a spend - can't remember the amount. There have been some offers for the first year free and $95 a year after that. All tickets booked and paid for with a Delta Amex also get a mileage boost under many fare codes. There are also more expensive cards with additional benefits. The Delta Platinum card is going up to $195 a year and offers miles, a $100 credit upon spending threshold, a companion ticket for $99, and mileage boost. The Delta Reserve card at $450 per year also has Sky Club privileges, mileage boost, companion ticket offer, and sign up bonus.

I do think Delta treats the card holders a little better than the occasional traveler with no card or status. It's always a good idea to get a frequent flyer number. It makes it much easier to handle the reservations and flights. It also allows passengers the ability to accumulate miles for future spends. At the present time Delta points do not expire.

Zone 1 boarding is probably the most congested boarding zone but with luck passengers in that zone can usually get an overhead bin.

As a frequent Delta flyer I implore passengers to avoid the rush to the gate. It's always hard to get through. Even first class, Diamond and Platinum must swim upstream amongst zone 3 passengers crowding the gate. And, Gate Lice does describe it. Saw it on an American Eagle last week. I'm not sure how large the plane was, probably 50 passengers max and people were rushing the gate like the plane was taking off without them.

And, my biggest gripe - don't bring the kitchen sink as a carry on. United has started to charge for oversize bags and the other airlines can't be far behind.

Sorry, I should not have gotten off track....just venting and thinking about my next TATL with one suitcase and appropriate carry ons....it's a daunting task.

And, my biggest gripe - don't bring the kitchen sink as a carry on. United has started to charge for oversize bags and the other airlines can't be far behind.

Sorry, I should not have gotten off track....just venting and thinking about my next TATL with one suitcase and appropriate carry ons....it's a daunting task.

I hope so. I boarded a DL flight a few days ago behind a girl who had a large rollaboard... eyeballing it, it was easily longer than 22", and way deeper than 9", AND she had a large tote bag, AND she had a dog carrier. One bag too many, and one was definitely too big but the GA said nothing to her. On top of that, she was only about 5' tall and very pregnant. I was in first so I couldn't see what happened, but it was late in the boarding process and I can only imagine the circus that took place in the back when she tried to heave that bag into an overhead bin that didn't have enough space in it, plus accommodate her other stuff. :rolleyes:

We use our Delta american express card all the time for Delta. We get to board after the first class, military and those with highest miles then we get to board. It is a nice perk so you can get your onboard luggage stowed before the hugh amount of passengers board behind you. You do get a free first checked bag too.

It automatically is on your ticket when it is printed because Delta has you in the computer.

We use our Delta american express card all the time for Delta. We get to board after the first class, military and those with highest miles then we get to board. It is a nice perk so you can get your onboard luggage stowed before the hugh amount of passengers board behind you. You do get a free first checked bag too.

It automatically is on your ticket when it is printed because Delta has you in the computer.

Thank you for the first hand information. :)

I will be certain she signs up for a Skymiles account, and make sure she has it on her reservation. Finally has that Skymiles account number linked to the Delta Amex account.

The reservation has 4 tickets linked at this time. So a $200 savings, round trip is significant. :) (I am spoiled, as I don't pay for any bags)

Thank you for the first hand information. :)

I will be certain she signs up for a Skymiles account, and make sure she has it on her reservation. Finally has that Skymiles account number linked to the Delta Amex account.

The reservation has 4 tickets linked at this time. So a $200 savings, round trip is significant. :) (I am spoiled, as I don't pay for any bags)

Remember - even though the Gold card is free for the first year, it will be $95/year after that. If they ditch the card after the first year, they will take a hit on their credit rating. You are theoretically just delaying paying for some of the bags...

Remember - even though the Gold card is free for the first year, it will be $95/year after that. If they ditch the card after the first year, they will take a hit on their credit rating. You are theoretically just delaying paying for some of the bags...

They are cheap, multi millionaires who have no issues with credit ratings. :) I cancel cards occasionally and have had no problems either.