Hotels near San Francisco Cruise Terminal

lrockwitt

Looking for inexpensive hotels near cruise terminal for August 2015 cruise.

I was recently reading an article about the most expensive city in the US to visit as a tourist. Yep...you guessed it ... San Francisco. It even beat out NYC. There really are no inexpensive hotels near the pier in SF....or in any part of SF proper for that matter. Since the pier is really right there in the downtown area, you will be competing with businessmen and other tourists.

For the good news, transportation is pretty good in the city. You can find a hotel near the BART station and get off on the Embarcadero station. From there, the pier is just a little over a mile and you can always take a cab from that point if you have too much luggage to lug for a mile. That portion will probably only run you about $10 - $12.

You will probably not want to rent a car in the city as driving can be a challenge (a lot of hills, one way streets and dodging the cable cars and muni busses) but parking costs are the bigger challenge.

Sorry the news wasn't any better. I oftentimes just want to go and stay in the city before a cruise and can never justify the price when we live just a short distance away.

Thanks for the info....we might just fly in the morning of the cruise

You really don't want to do that, especially not cross-country, not even nonstop. As Dirty Harry famously asked, "Are you feeling lucky?" AKA, "Is it worth saving a couple of hundred bucks to risk missing your cruise?"

I hear tell that my hometown is actually a pretty interesting town for tourism. But if that doesn't interest you, try pricelining a hotel near the airport.

Edited by shepp

I have a suggestion for hotels in San Francisco. Use the web site "Priceline" where you make a bid for a room. it's Name Your Own Price Hotels in or near San Francisco, CA Fri., Aug 28 - Sun., Aug 30. You make an offer and the web site can except or reject your bid. I would wait until 4-8 weeks before your arrival until I make a bid. I always make a reservation somewhere else as a back-up.

Before using Priceline use this web site, http://biddingfortravel.yuku.com/forums/22/California-San-Francisco/California-San-Francisco#.VNrH21Lwtok. It's "Bidding for Travel", where you can see what people bid for a room and what they got to get an idea for bidding. I have used Priceline many times and have always been pleased with what I got. You can select what part of the city you're interested in but you won't know the hotel in advance.

Not knowing the exact dates here's one hotel that I found It's on California Street, on one of the cable car lines and near the Fairmont Hotel & the Mark Hopkins, a good location. Cable Car Hotel, 1388 California Street, San Francisco, CA. Standard Double Room with Shared Bathroom, $70, Classic Double Room with Shower, $90. It also has FREE internet, I used the dates 8/28/15 to 8/30/15.

Another suggestion buy a MUNI, our local transit company, pass, that gives you unlimited travel on the MUNI. Remember the cable car system is a separate charge each time you use it, having the MUNI Pass there is no extra charge.

I use the MUNI daily as it's my only means to get around.

Any other questions about San Francisco please ask.

Tom:)

I would still fly in the day before. There are several alternatives, and frankly if I were getting in by noonish the day before I would find a hotel near the pier. But, the other alternative is something near the airport that has free shuttle service to and from the airport. There are Fairfields and Hampton Inn, and if I wasn't arriving until early evening, I'd just get some rest at one of them, head back to the airport after a free breakfast, and grab a pre-reserved Super Shuttle to the pier the morning of the cruise.

Looking for inexpensive hotels near cruise terminal for August 2015 cruise.

You must be kidding. This is San Francisco.

That said, you should consider using any hotel loyalty points you have amassed. If that's a "no go," check Jetsetter.com (owned by Trip Advisor) for any discount offers. If nothing, use Tingo.com. Also check Groupon and Living Social for deals.

Trust me, anything under $200/night is pretty much going to be a real dump.

Also, don't even think about a car rental. The hotel parking rate is probably what you thought you could find a hotel for.

Of course, you'll need to eat. If you end up staying near the waterfront, think about Perbacco or #1 Market. Butterfly and Fog City Diner near the pier are also very nice. Of course, if you want old SF, try Spengers or Tadich Grill. If you like live entertainment, get tix for Beach Blanket Babylon.

Lastly, DO NOT FLY IN ON EMBARKATION DAY. SFO is notorious for delays et al.

This is America's favorite city. But, remember that it is 49 sq. mi. surrounded by reality.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

I have a suggestion for hotels in San Francisco. Use the web site "Priceline" where you make a bid for a room. it's Name Your Own Price Hotels in or near San Francisco, CA Fri., Aug 28 - Sun., Aug 30. You make an offer and the web site can except or reject your bid. I would wait until 4-8 weeks before your arrival until I make a bid. I always make a reservation somewhere else as a back-up.

Before using Priceline use this web site, http://biddingfortravel.yuku.com/forums/22/California-San-Francisco/California-San-Francisco#.VNrH21Lwtok. It's "Bidding for Travel", where you can see what people bid for a room and what they got to get an idea for bidding. I have used Priceline many times and have always been pleased with what I got. You can select what part of the city you're interested in but you won't know the hotel in advance.

Not knowing the exact dates here's one hotel that I found It's on California Street, on one of the cable car lines and near the Fairmont Hotel & the Mark Hopkins, a good location. Cable Car Hotel, 1388 California Street, San Francisco, CA. Standard Double Room with Shared Bathroom, $70, Classic Double Room with Shower, $90. It also has FREE internet, I used the dates 8/28/15 to 8/30/15.

Another suggestion buy a MUNI, our local transit company, pass, that gives you unlimited travel on the MUNI. Remember the cable car system is a separate charge each time you use it, having the MUNI Pass there is no extra charge.

I use the MUNI daily as it's my only means to get around.

Any other questions about San Francisco please ask.

Obviously, you've never stayed at (or even seen?) the Cable Car Hotel. Shared bathroom? Really?

There's two reasons to fly in at least one day prior to your cruise...

The first is that things can always go wrong with air travel--delayed flights, missed connections, lost luggage, etc. That extra day provides a cushion.

Second reason is...it's San Francisco...It's a great city to even spend just one night in...

Get there early, relax a little, do a little sightseeing, eat a great dinner...and get up in the morning with no stress or hassle and get to the pier at your leisure...

To me, it's well worth the price of a hotel for the night...even at San Francisco prices...

I, too, would be wary of anything TOO cheap...there are some sleazy hotels in unseamly parts of town...Read the reviews on Trip Advisor...If you can get something using hotel points or Priceline, do it...Otherwise, bite the bullet--money well spent...

You don't have to stay in the Financial District...Personally, I prefer Fishermans Wharf...But, if budget is a major concern, you can find some cheaper motels along Lombard Street as you head towards the Marina District (Again, remember to check the reviews)...The Marina District is a trendy neighborhood with lots of restaurants a block south of Lombard on Chestnut...and a short cab ride to the pier...

I don't recomment this one, but, in order to avoid flying in same day, I'd even stay down near the airport...You won't get the experience of The City, but at least you'd have less stress the morning of your cruise...

But, again, a night in The City is worth the price...

We found a Hotel called Beresford Arms on Booking.com. It is in a great location and walking distance to restaurants and other sites. It got some good reviews and was reasonable in price. Around $200. We will come in the day before and not take the chance of any problems. Thanks. I don't need the stress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be aware that hotel prices can vary widely week to week depending upon conferences in town and the like. I'm in sf right now on business and hotels were sky high this week and 3 times cheaper next week. My advice is to book early. I would recommend any of the major chain hotels in the fishermans wharf area or if you can find a deal in the financial district (the Hyatt has a fantastic club room with enough food to make a dinner and fantastic views of the bay. Some rooms have balconies with nice views). These areas put you walking distance to many things of interest to tourists as well as cable cars. You will be able to find a wide range of dining options in the fishermans wharf area to - any budget. Definitely go a day ahead. The situation of the airport on water makes it vulnerable to weather delays. Best to come in ahead.

• 2 weeks later...

I used to work in the city, some 15 years ago, near the TransAmerica building, there use to be a nice Holiday Inn in Chinatown, would have great views, lots of options for eating in Chinatown, right outside the hotel, cruise is a very short taxi ride away the next day. Another suggestion for dinner would be the Tadish Grill on California St, at the foot of California St where the Cable car ends... great fish place been there for 100 years, does not take credit cards, only cash.

There is a Hyatt hotel also at the foot of Market Street, again great views...

I would avoid Fisherman's Wharf... but I am a native.

I used to work in the city, some 15 years ago, near the TransAmerica building, there use to be a nice Holiday Inn in Chinatown, would have great views, lots of options for eating in Chinatown, right outside the hotel, cruise is a very short taxi ride away the next day. Another suggestion for dinner would be the Tadish Grill on California St, at the foot of California St where the Cable car ends... great fish place been there for 100 years, does not take credit cards, only cash.

It's Tadich Grill and, although it is old SF, a more interesting meal can be had next door at Perbacco. If this is a first trip to SF, opt for a boutique hotel vs. something like a holiday inn. Decent deals can be found with Groupons or Jetsetter. Also check out Tingo.com (owned by Trip Advisor) for price drop guarantees.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

FYI...From the Tadish web site....."We except Visa & MasterCard". Credit cards excepted since 1990. I've eaten there many times and it's one of my favorite restaurants. Remember no reservations so it's first come first served.

Sorry but I feel that Fisherman's Wharf is a great place for both tourists and residents. I've lived here since 1967 and visit the Wharf occasionally with friends. If you need a warm jacket for example you can find one for around $20. I wanted some SF tee shirts and found a great selection and price at Walgreens at the Wharf.

I used to work in the city, some 15 years ago, near the TransAmerica building, there use to be a nice Holiday Inn in Chinatown, would have great views, lots of options for eating in Chinatown...

What was once THAT Holiday Inn near the Transamerica Pyramid is now the HILTON Financial District on Kearney St. They changed franchises a number of years ago...it was always too nice to be a Holiday Inn...

If money is the issue I would fly in the day before and stay by the airport. You can take Bart into the city for dinner or if you can handle your luggage Bart will get you to the Embarcadero which is a short cab ride or medium (by SF standards) walk to the pier. Get onto tripadvisor and read the reviews. If you stay in the city of SF the taxi to the ship will not be a big expense.